The DCC Discussion Thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

What Is the DCC?

The DCC, or Daily Card Contest, is a freeform custom card contest with a new thread for entries posted every day by the contest organizer. Anyone can enter as many or as few days per month as they like. Scoring is by votes; you must include two votes for cards posted the previous day along with your entry in each thread. Failure to do so will result in your card not being up for vote in the next day's thread. The top scorer each day will receive two bonus points, unless two or more contestants are tied for top score, in which case each of them will receive one bonus point. The contestant with the most votes after the votes from the final day of the month are tallied (in the thread on the 2nd of the following month) is the winner. There is no set challenge for the DCC and you may post whatever card design comes to mind.

This thread is for general discussion of this contest. All posts that are not entries or judgments in the round threads will be considered spam.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Code: Select all

[CENTER][B][SIZE=4]The DCC: MM/DD/YY[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][CENTER][img]https://i.imgur.com/R9iNjxi.png[/img]
Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the [url=http://mtgnexus.com/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=283]DCC Discussion Thread[/url].[/CENTER]

[hr]darkred[/hr][B][SIZE=200][CENTER]How To Play[/CENTER][/SIZE][/B][hr]darkred[/hr]
How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

[hr]darkred[/hr][B][SIZE=200][CENTER]Rules[/CENTER][/SIZE][/B][hr]darkred[/hr]
[LIST]
[*]Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken. 
[*]When you vote, you need to make [B][COLOR=Blue]exactly two votes[/COLOR][/B] for two different people.  Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread.  [B]If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, [I]even if you're not submitting a card[/I].[/B] 
[*]If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored. 
[*]Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote [I]or[/I] post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for [B]the next 21 days[/B]. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it. 
[*][B]Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC.[/B] Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time. 
[*]If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render. 
[*]This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our [url=http://mtgnexus.com/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=283]discussion thread[/url].  If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
[*]When posting make sure that:
[LIST] 
[*]You have included all of the previous day's entries.
[*]You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores. 
[/LIST][/LIST](An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

[hr]darkred[/hr][CENTER][SIZE=200][B]Notes of the Day[/B][/SIZE][/center][hr]darkred[/hr]
[hr]darkred[/hr][CENTER][B][SIZE=200]DCC Scoreboard[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][hr]darkred[/hr]
[center][box]Example A 21
Example B 15
Example C 3[/box][/center][hr]darkred[/hr][CENTER][B][SIZE=200]Yesterday's Cards[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][hr]darkred[/hr]
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Reserved for FAQ

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 4 years ago

Welcome fellow Nexus DCC'ers! I'm stoked for the new site. It looks good so far.

Hey void, am I still hosting the August DCC? It would certainly be an honor to the host the first-ever, all-new, improved DCC.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Then by all means, it is my honor to name you as first Nexus DCC host.

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Then by all means, it is my honor to name you as first Nexus DCC host.
I assume I'm still on to post the inaugural DCC? Is there a fancy template I can use for the OP? I'm not very good at creating them myself, so I'm hoping one will be provided.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Template is now edited into the second post of this thread.

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Thanks void. I hope it's ok that I intend to follow the same schedule that we had on MTGS. Which means the cutoff time to post your card is 10 PM EDT. That said, those that know me from MTGS, know that I tend to put the thread up closer to 11 or 11:30 PM EDT, and that cards are accepted up until the next day's thread is posted. With that in mind, the first ever DCC thread posting is ~24 hrs away! Let's make the first one a doozy!
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
MCC
Show
Hide
CCL
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

That's exactly the policy I intend to follow - with that in mind, please make sure the thread for the 1st is posted tomorrow night (if that's not feasible for you I'll take over for the first day).

archemediesx
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by archemediesx » 4 years ago

bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Surprise Stabber 1{U/B}{U/B}
Creature — Human Assassin (R)
Flash
1U: Surprise Stabber can't be blocked this turn.
B: Surprise Stabber gains deathtouch until end of turn.
The stealthier a Dimir assassin is, the deadlier they are.
1/3
I really like the movement of this design. For my money i would like it a lot more with square stats. a 2/2 for 2 hybrid, with flash would push it to standard power level in my mind. i feel less bad about sinking 2 mana into unblocklable when i'm getting 2 damage out of it, not just 1.
Great idea here.
"Easy Dude. You're being very Un-Dude."

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Shoot! I feel really bad about missing Legend's post from last night. I just edited it into today's thread, but most everyone has already voted. Does anybody have any ideas on how I could make it right? Maybe allow people to vote three times if they would have honestly voted for Legend if it had been an option?
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
MCC
Show
Hide
CCL
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The most I would do is notify everyone by posting in the thread and giving them a chance to change their votes from today.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Flatline wrote:
4 years ago
Shoot! I feel really bad about missing Legend's post from last night. I just edited it into today's thread, but most everyone has already voted. Does anybody have any ideas on how I could make it right? Maybe allow people to vote three times if they would have honestly voted for Legend if it had been an option?
I have an idea. Just forget about it, bro. It's all good. Thanks for all you've done for the custom card community over the years.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Flatline wrote:
4 years ago
I have an idea. Just forget about it, bro. It's all good. Thanks for all you've done for the custom card community over the years.
Thanks Legend. This post honestly means a lot to me. There are a lot of people that have done a lot more for the custom card community than I have, but it feels good to have someone (especially an old-timer) recognize my contributions, however small they may be.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
MCC
Show
Hide
CCL
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

In case it was not clear I'll be taking over the DCC for September.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 4 years ago

I'm honestly kind of surprised that a variant of Argivian Find got as many votes as it did last round. Just goes to show you that you never know what's going to speak to people.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 4 years ago

In the interest of tooting my own horn, the thing I like about my card is that I thought it was a fairly elegant way to give the player modes with varying power levels. I thought 1W to add 2 spells to your hand is really good but not broken, and also has a deck restriction that's fairly simple but IMO would require a bit of creativity most of the time, while the mode where it's just a 2 mana Argivian Find it's a bit underpowered, but not terrible.

EDIT: One thing I've noticed with the DCC is that the card that ends up with the most votes is often a relatively normal card that is just elegant and well-executed, just because the more complicated A-B, conditional or hate cards are more likely to appeal to a few people but not the majority of people.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 4 years ago

It's most certainly a good card. It's perhaps a bit "pushed" when compared to something like Macabre Waltz but artifact/enchantment removal is traditionally cheaper than creature removal, so it'd be understandable that artifact/enchantment recursion would be a bit more efficient as well.

The thing that caught me off guard is that the design didn't have much of a "wow," factor, but, I suppose that makes sense. Cards with impressive effects or never-before-seen lines of rules text might give a judge a sense of trepidation as much as it would intrigue them.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

I'm going out to play Magic. Because of this, the thread will probably be up a bit late tonight. I'm thinking around 1 AM EDT. Although that's not really much later than I normally post. :)
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
MCC
Show
Hide
CCL
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

shukkets wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: folding_music, sagharri

Koi Fish Ascension 1U
Instant (U)
Exile target creature you control. Then, you may return that creature to the battlefield under its owner's control. If you don't, create a 4/4 blue Dragon creature token with flying.
Now it's been a while since I commented on a card but I pretty much leapt out of my seat at this design. So much utility and flavor, simple and unique at the same time - I assume it's meant for the unnamed plane Yanggu and Yanling are from?

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 4 years ago

emily wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Flatline, shukkets

Goblin Disguise-Maker 1R
Creature — Goblin Shaman (R)
You may have Goblin Disguise-Maker enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it has base power and toughness 2/1 and is a Goblin Shaman instead of any other creature types.
Try as he might, he only ever fools his fellow goblins.
2/1
This card looks so familiar :)
Sagharri wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Flatline, RattingRots

Goblin Impersonator 1RR
Creature - Goblin Scout (U)
You may have Goblin Impersonator enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield except it's still 1/1 Goblin Scout.
1/1
"Day 30: they still suspect nothing."

emily
No TERFs on Gruul Turf
Answers: 1
Pronoun: she / her

Post by emily » 4 years ago

Sagharri wrote:
4 years ago
emily wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Flatline, shukkets

Goblin Disguise-Maker 1R
Creature — Goblin Shaman (R)
You may have Goblin Disguise-Maker enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it has base power and toughness 2/1 and is a Goblin Shaman instead of any other creature types.
Try as he might, he only ever fools his fellow goblins.
2/1
This card looks so familiar :)
Sagharri wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Flatline, RattingRots

Goblin Impersonator 1RR
Creature - Goblin Scout (U)
You may have Goblin Impersonator enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield except it's still 1/1 Goblin Scout.
1/1
"Day 30: they still suspect nothing."
Whoops, you're right! Must have done it subconsciously; I'll scratch that and draw up a new card.
Spelled with a lowercase "e". Formerly master_of_the_universe on MTGsalvation. Two time DCC champ (06/21, 07/21).

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Flatline, emily

Royal Chariot 1
Artifact - Vehicle (Rare)
Whenever Royal Chariot attacks, you draw six cards and you gain 12 life.
Crew - A legendary creature and two Horse creatures.
6/6
Ha! This card cracks me up! I can just see a couple of Tarpans pulling Isamaru around in this now. :)
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
MCC
Show
Hide
CCL
Show
Hide

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

I don't know what the heck was wrong with me last night, but I made as many mistakes last night as I usually do in several months of posting the DCC. First I accidentally posted the new day's thread as a response to the previous day's thread (and posted a holder before I realized it). This is actually the mistake I make most often, and fortunately it's easily fixed and causes no real harm (assuming I notice). But then, in my attempt to edit Rithaniel's card into his post, I accidentally copied folding_music's card, so that both fodling_music and Rithaniel were submitting the same card. I can't say that's an error I've ever made before. A million apologies to both Rithaniel and folding_music. Everything is fixed now as far as I know.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
MCC
Show
Hide
CCL
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Please be aware: I'm going to try to post DCC threads about 9 PM Eastern during my tenure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”