The MCC Discussion Thread

User avatar
vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur
Posts: 87
Joined: 5 months ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by vishamon » 1 month ago

I don't appear to have been assigned to either judge for September round 1 😅

User avatar
bravelion83
Survivor. I've survived.
Posts: 2255
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Florence, Italy

Post by bravelion83 » 1 month ago

vishamon wrote:
1 month ago
I don't appear to have been assigned to either judge for September round 1 😅
void_nothing wrote:
1 month ago
bravelion83:
Riria
vishamon
Subject16
Freyleyes
Lorn Asbord Schutta
marioguy3
I have you in my bracket, no need to worry. I can tell you I have actually already written your judgment, you will see it with all the others either later tonight or tomorrow.

EDIT - Here are my judgments, included yours. I'm sorry.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on September 28th 2021)
Show
Blue means it was on MTGSalvation. Green means it was here on MTGNexus.
MCC - Winner (6): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019 || Host (21): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021 || Judge (47): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), every month from Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (1): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar) || Host (5): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep 2021
My projects (Updated on June 14th 2019)
Show
All on MTGSalvation for now. See this Blogger post.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ.

User avatar
Riria
Posts: 476
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Riria » 1 month ago

You're "brave" because "you" put the battery in "anything", that's things that are not supposed to "hold it".
You're actually way more creative than me, because when I was writing the flavor text it didn't even cross my mind that there were other ways to read that sentence outside of this one :))).

User avatar
vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur
Posts: 87
Joined: 5 months ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by vishamon » 1 month ago

bravelion83 wrote:
1 month ago
.
Here are my judgments, included yours. I'm sorry.
No apologies necessary.

User avatar
Sagharri
Posts: 278
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sagharri » 1 month ago

@void_nothing
Sorry to say, but I a bit disagree with August MCC, Round 3 - Cephalopod Time judgements.
I could say that "Legendary Artifact - Nautilius" doesn't meet Main challenge as it isn't creature card.

User avatar
void_nothing
The Chosen
Posts: 7275
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 68
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Snapgulch, Etrusa

Post by void_nothing » 1 month ago

I did not notice that, and that's a big Quality penalty. However, a card with a creature type, power and toughness, and abilities that only creatures can have but that doesn't say "creature" in the typeline is just that - a creature card with a severe typo.

I've corrected the score by taking another Quality point away from netn10 but they still score higher.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet

User avatar
Sagharri
Posts: 278
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sagharri » 1 month ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 month ago
I did not notice that, and that's a big Quality penalty. However, a card with a creature type, power and toughness, and abilities that only creatures can have but that doesn't say "creature" in the typeline is just that - a creature card with a severe typo.

I've corrected the score by taking another Quality point away from netn10 but they still score higher.
Same way it could be missing just vehicle word and still not be a creature :P
Yet if you see it that way than fine.

slimytrout
Posts: 1192
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 month ago

Sagharri wrote:
1 month ago
Same way it could be missing just vehicle word and still not be a creature
I mean, it's also missing a crew ability, so it wouldn't be a very good vehicle...

More broadly, I'm not trying to weigh in on the specifics of the judgement, but I think you're likely to see most judges do their best not to DQ people over relatively minor mistakes, especially if it seems to be just an omission -- obviously it happens when people submit a card that fully doesn't work within the challenge, but that's not too common. Just to propose a plausible hypothetical, if I were judging a card for a main challenge that requested a mythic and one entry had no rarity, I might not give full points for the main challenge, but, as long as the card seemed appropriate to be a mythic, I would not disqualify them just for forgetting to specify that fact. The goal here is to see who can design the most interesting, viable, and fun (in several senses of the word) Magic cards, not to hold a job interview for the templating team.

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Posts: 648
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 weeks ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 weeks ago
Main Challenge: Design a card that can change the creature types of one or more creatures
Do clones of any type satisfy this challange? Or only such as Phantasmal Image, where there is a "in addition to its other types"? Where do things like Croaking Counterpart stand?
void_nothing wrote:
3 weeks ago
Subchallenge 1: Your card changes the type to a specific creature type, i.e. you do not choose which creature type.
Do cards like Skinshifter or Figure of Destiny satisfy this subchallenge, in other words, where there are few possible changes, but each of the is locked by a single ability/instance?

User avatar
void_nothing
The Chosen
Posts: 7275
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 68
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Snapgulch, Etrusa

Post by void_nothing » 3 weeks ago

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 weeks ago
void_nothing wrote:
3 weeks ago
Main Challenge: Design a card that can change the creature types of one or more creatures
Do clones of any type satisfy this challange? Or only such as Phantasmal Image, where there is a "in addition to its other types"? Where do things like Croaking Counterpart stand?
No clone effects as such satisfy the challenge, not even Croaking Counterpart. No existing creature is having its types changed by such effects, a new creature is just being created with modified types.
void_nothing wrote:
3 weeks ago
Subchallenge 1: Your card changes the type to a specific creature type, i.e. you do not choose which creature type.
Do cards like Skinshifter or Figure of Destiny satisfy this subchallenge, in other words, where there are few possible changes, but each of the is locked by a single ability/instance?
Both Skinshifter and Figure of Destiny would be just fine.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet

User avatar
void_nothing
The Chosen
Posts: 7275
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 68
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Snapgulch, Etrusa

Post by void_nothing » 2 weeks ago

It's perhaps a bit late in the month but I am putting out a call for a volunteer to host the MCC in October.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet

User avatar
bravelion83
Survivor. I've survived.
Posts: 2255
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Florence, Italy

Post by bravelion83 » 2 weeks ago

I can do that. A few days ago I wrote a plan for a Midnight Hunt-themed month.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on September 28th 2021)
Show
Blue means it was on MTGSalvation. Green means it was here on MTGNexus.
MCC - Winner (6): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019 || Host (21): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021 || Judge (47): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), every month from Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (1): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar) || Host (5): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep 2021
My projects (Updated on June 14th 2019)
Show
All on MTGSalvation for now. See this Blogger post.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ.

User avatar
void_nothing
The Chosen
Posts: 7275
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 68
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Snapgulch, Etrusa

Post by void_nothing » 2 weeks ago

bravelion83 wrote:
2 weeks ago
I can do that. A few days ago I wrote a plan for a Midnight Hunt-themed month.
All yours.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet

User avatar
bravelion83
Survivor. I've survived.
Posts: 2255
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Florence, Italy

Post by bravelion83 » 2 weeks ago

The judge signup thread for October is up. Round 1 will go up on the 1st.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on September 28th 2021)
Show
Blue means it was on MTGSalvation. Green means it was here on MTGNexus.
MCC - Winner (6): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019 || Host (21): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021 || Judge (47): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), every month from Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (1): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar) || Host (5): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep 2021
My projects (Updated on June 14th 2019)
Show
All on MTGSalvation for now. See this Blogger post.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ.

User avatar
void_nothing
The Chosen
Posts: 7275
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 68
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Snapgulch, Etrusa

Post by void_nothing » 2 weeks ago

Congratulations once again to @Henlock for winning August's MCC!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet

Henlock
Posts: 860
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 2 weeks ago

Yay! Animal month was really fun

User avatar
bravelion83
Survivor. I've survived.
Posts: 2255
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Florence, Italy

Post by bravelion83 » 2 weeks ago

Round 1 for October is up.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on September 28th 2021)
Show
Blue means it was on MTGSalvation. Green means it was here on MTGNexus.
MCC - Winner (6): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019 || Host (21): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021 || Judge (47): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), every month from Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (1): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar) || Host (5): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep 2021
My projects (Updated on June 14th 2019)
Show
All on MTGSalvation for now. See this Blogger post.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ.

User avatar
bravelion83
Survivor. I've survived.
Posts: 2255
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Florence, Italy

Post by bravelion83 » 1 week ago

@void_nothing Any news about September? It's been a week since I posted my Round 2 judgments by now.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on September 28th 2021)
Show
Blue means it was on MTGSalvation. Green means it was here on MTGNexus.
MCC - Winner (6): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019 || Host (21): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021 || Judge (47): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), every month from Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (1): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar) || Host (5): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep 2021
My projects (Updated on June 14th 2019)
Show
All on MTGSalvation for now. See this Blogger post.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ.

User avatar
void_nothing
The Chosen
Posts: 7275
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 68
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Snapgulch, Etrusa

Post by void_nothing » 1 week ago

Apellosine wrote:
1 week ago
Automated Villager 1
Artifact Creature - Construct Peasant (C)
When Automated Villager enters the battlefield choose one -
  • Investigate
  • Create a Treasure token.
  • Create a Food token.
1/1
Just noticed this - @Apellosine the main challenge requires an instant or sorcery card.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Posts: 648
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 6 days ago

Would it be a problem to get a one day extension on September round 3?

User avatar
void_nothing
The Chosen
Posts: 7275
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 68
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Snapgulch, Etrusa

Post by void_nothing » 6 days ago

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
6 days ago
Would it be a problem to get a one day extension on September round 3?
No problem, you can have it.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Posts: 648
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 days ago

bravelion83 wrote:
2 days ago
Viability 2/3 - I think green could do this by itself, as the flying-hate color.
The reason why this is a BG card is because, if the rules supported the intent of this card, I think that cards like Plummet would become a discounted Murder among other effects. Of course that would be a straight up break in mono-G, so I added black.
That is why I disagree with the viability judgement and to lesser extent with some other parts. I understand that it will probably drop my points in elegence but I wanted to make it clear.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”