The MCC Discussion Thread

haywire
Pronoun: he / him

Post by haywire » 1 year ago

Oh, thank you, obviously! I totally missed it. Also, was not expecting this quick of a response, I edited the previous post to also ask about
and additionally, what is wrong with nonartifact? it has been used as recently as Double Masters 22 with Go for the Throat.
Thanks again!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Well, again, that's the whole thing. You didn't write "nonartifact" - you have "non-artifact".
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

haywire

oh. right. please excuse me, I was clearly not paying enough attention to my original submission.

Thank you again for putting up with my confusion

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

No worries! I really, really enjoyed both July final entries. slimytrout won, in part, by being more on point from a technical perspective.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

haywire

that's very fair. I struggle a lot with high cmc cards, I'm a storm/cheerios/hyper low curve combo player at heart, so a 10 mana anything was the hardest thing I've ever had to design on here. loved the prompt!

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

My own judgments for September Round 1 have been compleated... oops, sorry, I meant completed. There are certainly no sleeper agents among us...
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Judging September Round 1 hopefully tonight.

Edit: And finished.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Thank you. Round 2 is up.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

My judgments for August's round 3 and the final round thread will be posted tonight.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

@bravelion83 I will not be able to make a submission either on time or in foreseeable future, a bunch of things piled up. I think I have to withdraw from the round 2.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
1 year ago
@bravelion83 I will not be able to make a submission either on time or in foreseeable future, a bunch of things piled up. I think I have to withdraw from the round 2.
Many thanks for letting me know instead of leaving me and the contest waiting for days for a submission that would have never arrived and eventually I would have had to just move on, at least now that I know this I can and will immediately move on when the deadline comes in just a couple hours potentially saving several days of waiting. As I always say, real life always comes first. Don't worry about this contest and take care of everything that you need to take care of right now. I wish you the best and I hope to see you again in a future MCC month very soon.

EDIT I mean, I will move on provided that @haywire posts a card in the next about three hours... I hope so.
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

My September round 2 judgments are now complete.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
My September round 2 judgments are now complete.
Mine are now too. Round 3 will be posted with the DCC in about 3-4 hours from now.

EDIT Round 3 is now up.
Show
Hide

Lorn Asbord Schutta

@slimytrout I have some questions about round 1 of October MCC.
The first one is how the prompt - or eventual lack of thereof - will correlate with the flavour score of submission. I understand that any more nuanced take then "prompt is absolutely disregarded during card's evaluation" is probably impossible to be stated firmly right now, but nonetheless maybe you have some expectations about this.
Secondly, regarding usage of Collaborative Create-a-Booster planes and settings. Ofcourse there is a flavour question again - should we expect judges to check the referenced plane, expect them to maybe know it or maybe not, or expect them to always ignore the background and take submission at face-value?
Futhermore, must - or mustn't - we link to referenced plane in prompt?
Finally, a mechanical/elegance question - if we use a custom mechanic appearing on plane from CCaB in rare or mythic card - one that could possibly omit reminder text - can we expect that judges will read into referenced material during evaluation, or will they be instructed to ignore any outside-the-card mechanical implications?

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Yeah, I've been thinking about some of these questions myself -- obviously this is a bit of an experimental design for a round, so I hope folks will bear with me -- and I'll do my best to answer them.

1) I don't think I'm going to go so far as to say that the prompt will be completely disregarded, but my goal is to have the prompt only help with flavor score -- I don't want people to be punished for contributing to the round, but I don't have any problem with a minor reward for it. Obviously if you choose not to answer the prompt and already have a flavorful submission then it works out fine anyway.

2) I don't want links to CCaB planes (although I won't punish you for them, I'll just ignore them). You can feel free to submit something from CCaB, but my goal would be to have it serve as a jumping off point rather than a cage -- that is to say, if you love the idea of an Alice-in-Wonderland plane then feel free to submit a location from Twigaroo, but don't expect the judges or the rest of the round to actually feel constrained by what has been established over on CCaB. So basically I would say "take submission at face value" is the closest to what I'm going for.

3) As you can probably guess from 2), you should certainly not omit reminder text for a custom mechanic, even one taken from CCaB.

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

August ends with a tied final score. @slimytrout and @Henlock share the win!

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

@slimytrout *highfive!*

Lorn Asbord Schutta

@bravelion83, looking through 30th Anniversary Edition I saw two cards (Camouflage and Cyclopean Tomb) that have eleven lines and a singular line-break. I am not sure if they have actually smaller font then Animate Dead, but they certainly threaten this range. Since they are in modern frame, will you adjust MCC Guidelines for them, or due to their release not being made with playing in mind - so there is an argument to be made that WotC was not as strict as they would normally be - will you ignore them?

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
1 year ago
@bravelion83, looking through 30th Anniversary Edition I saw two cards (Camouflage and Cyclopean Tomb) that have eleven lines and a singular line-break. I am not sure if they have actually smaller font then Animate Dead, but they certainly threaten this range. Since they are in modern frame, will you adjust MCC Guidelines for them, or due to their release not being made with playing in mind - so there is an argument to be made that WotC was not as strict as they would normally be - will you ignore them?
I haven't seen them yet, but from what you're saying I'm leaning towards probably yes, I will have to increase my line limit for microtext. Even if the cards have a different back, the front is still the M15 frame and as far as I know they aren't oversized cards or anything like that, the front is just the front of a regular Magic card as they are currently printed. If you just see the front of a card from the 30th Anniversary Edition and that of a Standard-legal card without seeing the back of the cards, you can't distinguish them. Good catch and thanks for letting me know because otherwise I would have very probably missed this.

Now I'll take a look at the 30th Anniversary Edition card image gallery and go through all notable cards in my opinion in regards to font size. It's the very first time I take a look at it, so we'll do it together. I will write notes as I go. Yes, this is a local text file which I will copy and paste as a post later.

• I see nothing worth of notice in white.
• Siren's Call is nine lines and two breaks in both the M15 and the old frame. It would be fine even with my current standards for microtext, but the font size is quite small anyway.
• Animate Dead is reprinted and the text box is identical to its EMA printing: ten lines and two breaks. Nothing new here, but seeing the text box hasn't changed between EMA and now is worthy of notice. Nothing had changed in the meantime until now. Also worth of notice is that it's also printed in the old frame with the same number of lines and breaks.
• Lich is nine lines but four breaks, so if you have nine lines of text you can have up to four breaks for sure. In the old frame, it's eight lines and four breaks.
• Word of Command is ten lines without breaks in both the M15 frame and the old one.
• Rock Hydra is also nine lines and four breaks, just like Lich, but in both frames.
• Raging River is eight lines without breaks in the M15 frame but nine lines without breaks in the old one.
• Camouflage (other than having a very unusual template, a text box that just looks aesthetically ugly to me, and just being a way too weird card for my taste) is indeed eleven lines and one break in the M15 frame and also in the old one. Again, the text box looks ugly to me but it absolutely counts as a new valid precedent for acceptable font size to me.
• Gaea's Liege is eight lines and one break in the M15 frame but nine lines and one break in the old one.
• Clockwork Beast is nine lines and two breaks in the M15 frame, and the text is also shifted to the top to fit with the P/T box, and so there is even additional space left in the text box. In the old frame, it's still nine lines and two breaks but vertically centered in the text box like most other existing cards.
• Cyclopean Tomb is ten lines and one break in the M15 frame, and that alone wouldn't have been enough to beat Animate Dead. Camouflage already did it though. The Tomb is indeed eleven lines and one break but in the old frame, not the M15 one, which is the current one, so, again, it wouldn't have counted by itself.
• Illusionary Mask is eleven lines without breaks in both the M15 and the old frame, and it would have set the new limit if, again, Camouflage hadn't done it already while also going even further by adding an additional break that the Mask doesn't have.

So, I think these will be my new limits for microtext. In the M15 frame, you can have:
• Up to eight lines with however many breaks you want.
• Nine lines with up to four breaks. If you have more than four breaks, it's microtext.
• Ten lines with up to two breaks. If you have more than two breaks, it's microtext.
• Eleven lines and a single break. If you have more than one break, it's microtext.
• If you have twelve lines of more, it's microtext regardless of breaks.

I'm not sure if I mention Animate Dead as an official limit for microtext in the MCC Guidelines, I don't actually think so but I will have to check. If I did, then yes, consider that updated as far as I'm concerned.

I will implement these new limits with the judgments I'm still currently writing for September Round 3 (sorry for the delay but that's what happens when you get sick for a few days in a row, now I feel better though still not in full shape), and I'll repeat this there or just straight up quote this post, we'll see. Anyway, I will mention this there somehow. Thanks again.
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

My September Round 3 MCC judgments are now in - hopefully Leo feels well enough to finish his soon.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
My September Round 3 MCC judgments are now in - hopefully Leo feels well enough to finish his soon.
The King is hard to fight, but I managed to do it. I've also just finished writing the intro for the final round and I'm about to post it right now. You all will see that I went in hard on this one. I don't know how you will feel about it, but what you all are about to see is how I do feel about it, and it's what I had meant the final round to be since the very beginning. The whole reason why I wanted to host this specific month was mostly just to be able to write the scene that I'm about to post. And of course to host a set-themed MCC, which have by now become my specialty, but this time that only came later to me actually. Everything else was built to get here. You'll see in a few minutes at most.

EDIT - Here it is. You can read that story if you want, but if you prefer, you can just read ahead. It's quite long, and it's in spoiler tags, so if you're just here for the challenges, go ahead and do that. I won't blame you. Neither will the one that wanted to tell you all that story, one about his mentor. If you want, now it's out there. I don't think I have anything more to add to what I wrote in that story. Enjoy it, if you wish. I hope you will enjoy the challenges anyway.
Show
Hide

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

My own judgments for the final round of September are in. Jeff sends you all his greetings, hoping this isn't just a dream either.
Show
Hide

slimytrout

netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
The High Order uses surveillance devices in order to keep the population in check, and ensure the citizens of Artezia stays blissfully ignorant, to any harm and to the true nature of the plane.
Just wanted to ask that entrants in the second round be explicit about what existing mechanic they're naming in their flavor prompt. For example in netn10's post I assume they're referring to the Surveil mechanic but it would be better if, say, the "surveil" in surveillance was bolded or something like that.

Also wanted to add that there is no requirement for this mechanic to be at all related to the card submitted for the round.

I'm putting both of these notes in the clarifications section.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

I seek a clarification: Right now I'm doing a double-faced card, with both sides being creatures. To qualify for the first challenge, do both sides have to have greater power than toughness, or does just one have to? For that matter, can one of the two powers exceed the toughness of the other side in order to qualify for the challenge?
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

slimytrout

If I were judging it (don't want to speak for my co-judge), I'd probably do it on a half-point basis -- for each side where the power is greater than the toughness, you get half a point. No points if one side is just larger than the other side.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”