The MCC Discussion Thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

Thanks for taking care of that Leo bravelion - it was an unusual situation for certain, but I'm glad to have new blood hosting!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 11 months ago

netn10 wrote:
11 months ago
Main Challenge -- Design a rare mono blue cards with vigilance or a mono black cards with "destroy target enchantment".

Subchallenge 1 -- Your card has only evergreen abilities.
I could use some clarification on what "evergreen abilities" means -- the definition that I'm aware of is the list of evergreen keyword abilities (mostly things like trample, first strike, etc. as well as enchant and equip). None of those offer an obvious way to include the words "destroy target enchantment," so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

Right - does this mean the card's only keyword abilities should be evergreen ones?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10

Post by netn10 » 11 months ago

slimytrout wrote:
11 months ago
netn10 wrote:
11 months ago
Main Challenge -- Design a rare mono blue cards with vigilance or a mono black cards with "destroy target enchantment".

Subchallenge 1 -- Your card has only evergreen abilities.
I could use some clarification on what "evergreen abilities" means -- the definition that I'm aware of is the list of evergreen keyword abilities (mostly things like trample, first strike, etc. as well as enchant and equip). None of those offer an obvious way to include the words "destroy target enchantment," so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
It means that if it's a creature, it can have flying, haste, etc. But not evolve. I will add it to the post, thanks for your input!

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 11 months ago

void_nothing wrote:
11 months ago
Thanks for taking care of that Leo bravelion - it was an unusual situation for certain, but I'm glad to have new blood hosting!
You're welcome! By now, I consider the MCC my own home, so it just came naturally to me. This is probably a precedent should anything like this happen again.

And thanks for the laugh you gave me with the stroked text! For those who might not know, Leo is the abbreviation of my real first name, and I have absolutely no problem with anybody here calling me that, that's my name! I have no problem with it being known publicly, that's who I am! People in real life call me that, why not here too? It's not like I gave away anything too personal...
netn10 wrote:
11 months ago
It means that if it's a creature, it can have flying, haste, etc. But not evolve. I will add it to the post, thanks for your input!
If I've understood it correctly, you could also word that subchallenge as "no deciduous or set/block mechanics, just things that any card in any random set could do."
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 11 months ago

And thanks for the laugh you gave me with the stroked text! For those who might not know, Leo is the abbreviation of my real first name, and I have absolutely no problem with anybody here calling me that, that's my name! I have no problem with it being known publicly, that's who I am! People in real life call me that, why not here too? It's not like I gave away anything too personal...
Oh please. You've given away everything. Leo is clearly short for Leonardo da Vinci. You discovered the fountain of youth centuries ago, and have lived long enough to finally experience an invention that rivals your own brilliant ideas. Magic the Gathering. It contained flying machines like the ones you imagined, and the crisp, mechanically sound gameplay resonated with you on a fundamental level. At last you have been exposed for who you truly are, a genius inventor who has cheated death.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
:rofl: it case it wasn't clear I'm being incredibly silly, inspired by the guy who says inconceivable in Princess Bride
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 11 months ago

Venedrex wrote:
11 months ago
Leo is clearly short for Leonardo da Vinci.
Another laugh, thank you! Anyway, yeah, my full first name is exactly that, though the only thing we share is that and the fact that we're both Italian. Vinci, the town he came from, is actually pretty close to where I live, and I've visited it as a child.
who has cheated death.
I wish I could...
Oh please. You've given away everything.
There are a whole lot of things I haven't given away publicly... I don't think what I've given away so far would be enough for you to come here and find me physically even if you wanted... not that I would have any problems with that, I've done nothing wrong... Anyway, thanks again for the laugh and sorry for the off-topic.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 10 months ago

My April MCC Round 3 judgments are complete.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 10 months ago

Alright, I'm getting started on judgments now. I might run a little late, but the next round will be posted before I go to sleep tonight
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Rithaniel

Alright, my judgments have been produced. The end standings are:

bravelion83 - 39
Subject16 - 39

and

kwanyeegor-ii - 41.5
void_nothing - 38

Meaning that we have three finalist: bravelion83, kwanyeegor-ii, and Subject16.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 10 months ago

I just realized I had written the post and apparently never hit the submit button for my entry. I am leaving it here just in case someone wants to judge it.

Knighted Sorcerer 2u
Creature - Human Knight Wizard (u)
Flash
Vigilance
Spells convoked by Knighted Sorcerer cannot be countered.
Wizards who took to the sword found them quite effective at harnessing energy.
2/2

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 10 months ago

My own judgments for May Round 1 are complete.

@Henlock I might do it, but not right now. Maybe later, or maybe tonight.
Show
Hide

Riria

Post by Riria » 10 months ago

netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
Neither "future" or "possibility" are in the flavor text.
It is.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 10 months ago

Riria wrote:
10 months ago
netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
Neither "future" or "possibility" are in the flavor text.
It is.
Sorry about that, I edited the post.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 10 months ago

netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
The token has a new keyword that's one line of reminder text, and/or has a new card type, and/or has two faces.
Clarification question: do we get to include the predefined token in our submission? Or does it have to be clear from the reminder text that it meets one of these criteria?

netn10

slimytrout wrote:
10 months ago
netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
The token has a new keyword that's one line of reminder text, and/or has a new card type, and/or has two faces.
Clarification question: do we get to include the predefined token in our submission? Or does it have to be clear from the reminder text that it meets one of these criteria?
The card should have a reminder text, explaining what the token is and does.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 10 months ago

netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
slimytrout wrote:
10 months ago
netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
Hmm, I guess I should ask my question more directly: how is it going to be apparent that our token's new keyword has one line of reminder text if the token itself has to be in reminder text?

netn10

slimytrout wrote:
10 months ago
netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
slimytrout wrote:
10 months ago

Hmm, I guess I should ask my question more directly: how is it going to be apparent that our token's new keyword has one line of reminder text if the token itself has to be in reminder text?
I think I understand the confusion.
The reminder text before the explanations of how the new keyword works can have more than one line. After the introduction of the keyword, you can have only one line.

Example (pretend that trample is a new keyword)

Badgering (Create a 1/1 green Badger creature token with trample. A creature with trample can deal excess combat damage to the player or planeswalker it's attacking.)

In this example, the reminder text for Badgering can have multiple lines, but the reminder text for the new keyword "trample" should have only one line.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Riria

Post by Riria » 10 months ago

I'm assuming it was a typo, but the design deadline for round 2 is the same as the day on which round 2 was posted?

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 10 months ago

netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
DEADLINES

Design deadline: May 12th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: May 15th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time
Riria wrote:
10 months ago
I'm assuming it was a typo, but the design deadline for round 2 is the same as the day on which round 2 was posted?
@netn10 This is correct and certainly a typo, but new deadlines should be established asap.
Show
Hide

netn10

bravelion83 wrote:
10 months ago
netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
DEADLINES

Design deadline: May 12th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: May 15th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time
Riria wrote:
10 months ago
@netn10 This is correct and certainly a typo, but new deadlines should be established asap.
Yes, I'll fix it ASAP.

Rithaniel

Alright, quick reminder that we have about 8 hours left in the round for April Round 4. @kwanyeegor-ii courtesy ping.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

Going to do my best to enter the May MCC round 2 in time, but if I can't I'd like to ask in advance for a short extension.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 10 months ago

My April MCC Final Round judgments are finished.

Rithaniel

My judgments for the April round 4 are also in and, barring any last-minute changes before the deadline arrives, we have a winner! Congratulations to bravelion83 for winning the month!
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”