The deadline: December 11, 2019.
The premise is simple. First, MTGSalvation and MTGNexus members from all over the world send me personally altered cards. Then, as Christmas approaches, I randomly send their cards to someone else who participated. It's a fun gift exchange that's always a blast.
What do I mean by personally altered? Does that you mean you have to be as good as the people over in the official altered art thread? Not at all! What's important is that you personalize your cards. For example, here are just a handful of cards done over the past few years:
Participating is easy! Just send me a PM with your address (on either site), and I'll send you mine back. All you have to do after that is send me your cards along with appropriate packaging and postage to mail your cards along to the next person. After that, just relax and wait for your return package to make its merry way to you. It's that simple!
All participants must have their cards to me by December 11th, 2019. This means I MUST have the cards in hand by this date, NOT that you should mail it by this date.. They will be redistributed and sent off over the weekend, and hopefully everybody will have theirs by December 25th. Please remember to budget enough time for your cards to arrive. For reference, I live in Virginia, USA.
Brand new accounts are excluded to avoid gaming the system. Please don't do it. It will just result in a sad face for both of us.
This event is not sponsored or endorsed by MTGSalvation, MTGNexus, or Wizards of the Coast in any way. It is purely something done for fun by people who love Magic, and is not for for any financial gain or otherwise.
Over the past three years, previous exchange runners saw a lot of cards come through. Here are some recommendations to help make the holiday exchange fun for everybody!
- Try and modify cool cards. They don't necessarily have to be rares, but it's great when somebody can play the cards they receive in a deck and then tell the story of how they received them! If you are on a budget, think an altered playset of playable commons, an EDH staple, or basic lands are great... as long as it's playable it's cool!
- Stumped for cards to alter? Try sending cards related to your name, avatar, or signature! That way there's a connection between MTGSalvation and the card's you're altering.
- What you receive is random and a gift from someone else to you. Regardless of how you feel about the quality of cards you received, please be grateful. After all, it's a gift!
- Part of the fun is ripping open the package when it finally arrives to see what you received. Do not post the alters you did ahead of time - though vague hints can be fun. We don't want to ruin the surprise!
- Sending items such as letters, notes, or pictures along with your cards to the other person is not only allowed, but encouraged!
- You might want to take a picture of your cards before you send them so that you can still show them off if the recipient has no way to upload an image.
- You may submit as few or as many cards as you would like. Take your time and make some great alters!
1. PM me your address, and you'll receive mine back.
2. You absolutely must include a self addressed stamped envelope with enough postage for up to a 6 oz package.
3. In the past, a couple of people have sent extra large/heavy items. This is great, and often these items are very cool! However, if you're going to do this, please include an extra blank envelope that is the appropriate size and/or has the right amount of postage on it to send it on to the next person. Please do include some real cards as well, that way your recipient can still have something to include in a deck!
4. No proxies/fakes, no matter how cool. Sentiments on these vary across the entire range, but MTGSalvation and MTGNexus do not support this practice. While the gift exchange isn't directly affiliated with the sites, let's keep this above the belt for the Holidays. Thanks!
5. If you are an international participant, please tell me in your PM so we can discuss how international shipping will work out best in your case. The US Postal prices have done some crazy things in the last few years, and shipping times may be a concern.
6. Along with your cards and Stamped envelope, please include a slip of paper with your MTGSalvation username. There will be a lot of cards coming in and if I don't know who sent me something, I can't let the recipient know - and it also makes it harder not to accidentally send yours back to you.
- Send me a PM with your address
- Check your inbox.
- Alter cards!
- Write your username on a slip of paper.
- Send me your cards, that slip of paper with your username, and a stamped envelope with enough postage to mail your cards, inside another envelope.
- Time travel to later in December and check your mail. Enjoy your gift!
Please post below.