UW Control / Superfriends

robertleva
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by robertleva » 2 months ago

This is a great archetype in Pioneer, at least until banlist hits. I personally am avoiding Dig/Cruise for now, but lots of lists are running them.

Here's my take:

*Notes- Myth Realized and T3feri make for a very strong starting position. Spell Pierce is pretty great to defend your permanents. Silkwrap is a test but so far it's been quite good. Other lists are appreciated, I don't claim to be any kind of UW master but I'm competent. May as well get some discussion going now, this archetype isn't going anywhere.

Common Game lines for my deck:

*Turn1: Myth Realized > Opt > Spell Pierce (best > worst)
*Turn 2: Search for Azcanta or Silkwrap
*Turn 3: Narset (find an answer) or T3feri bounce a critter
*Turn 4: D. Sphere or Supreme Verdict to stabilize
*Turns 5+ T5feri and Elspeth take over. Azcanta comes online. Castles come online.

After that just do more of everything and its fun.
Expand Signature
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

Tags:

Bearscape

Post by Bearscape » 2 months ago

I feel like you should be dipping into black for Pioneer Control lists, if only for Fatal Push. I've seen some people dabbling with Approach of the Second Sun as the wincon for Pioneer Control, which IMO makes sense together with Dig Through Time.

robertleva

Esper is cool, but I'm more interested in UW in Pioneer. Maybe I am the only one here that is. For now. I think UW will become more obvious as the format matures.
Expand Signature
Robert Leva

robertleva

Expand Signature
Robert Leva

robertleva

I'll just keep talking to an empty forum I guess hehe. Not going to lie I play this deck a LOT and there is a ton of room for customization. Currently I am testing:

Gideon of the Trials vs Teyo, the Shieldmage. I am testing to see which is better against fast bomat type decks. Gideon is a finisher on his own, all but Teyo buys me turns.
Expand Signature
Robert Leva

Dormammu
Sorcerer Supreme
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dormammu » 2 months ago

I commented on your monoblack deck! I am an anti-counterspell player, so I can't add much to the conversation in this deck but it does look strong.

FoilSquared
Good evening, 47...
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoilSquared » 2 months ago

That sideboard looks a little suspect to me, is Blessed Alliance and Gideon's Reproach that good? Do you need 4 Needles?
Expand Signature
Avid collector of foils and other shiny things.
Pioneer:
WMono White AurasW
EDH:
None yet!

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 3 weeks ago

FoilSquared wrote:
2 months ago
That sideboard looks a little suspect to me, is Blessed Alliance and Gideon's Reproach that good? Do you need 4 Needles?
They are each good in different ways. I guess if I absolutely had to settle on one or the other I'd take Blessed Alliance. Feel free to use whatever you want in this 4x creature removal slot.
Expand Signature
Robert Leva

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 2 weeks ago

Echo chamber mode continues, this time with even more useless anecdotal evidence to back up my deck. Been getting a lot of reps in with this list. It felt really good, but then I went and looked at my account history for the past few days and noticed a fairly high win rate. 27-4 if you count it all up. Longest win streak was 13 in a row.

On the losses two clearly stand out: Mono green ramp and Mono black aggro control similar to my other list in here. The match up vs mono black was tough but winnable, this particular green ramp felt really tough and possibly not winnable without sideboard changes.

Expand Signature
Robert Leva

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 6 days ago

Update: Last two weeks at Pioneer Tuesday at LGS I took 2nd, and 1st. I hadn't made any adjustments to the list in a long time, so when I finally did tweak something I thought I should share. This is the current list, only changes are -2 Spell Pierce, +2 Brazen Borrower.

I am liking the change a lot so far. Spell Pierce is a solid card but it's dead late game. I admit that dropping a 1cc instant for a 2-3cc card throws off the curve. I am open to ideas to tweak if anyone ever reads this thread.
Expand Signature
Robert Leva

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Developing”