MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/21/2022 is Copy Artifact.

I love that this makes the copied artifact an enchantment in addition. A+ for naming the card exactly what the card does.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

The very earliest copy effects had these wacky functionalities - witness Fork retaining its color.

We should actually be weirdly glad for that because of the Reserved List.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

We also have Copy Enchantment! (Sadly, it doesn't become an artifact in addition to its other types.)

We'd later get a more ordinary version of this effect in Sculpting Steel, then Phyrexian Metamorph and more recently Mirrormade. And of course the MVP Clever Impersonator, which I'm still in love with.

There's also Mechanized Production which I wish wasn't a wincon, because it's so easy to win by putting it on a Treasure or something that I'd rather just not use it.

Fluidous Gearhulk 3UU
Artifact Creature — Shapeshifter Construct
Vigilance
You may have Fluidous Gearhulk enter the battlefield as a copy of any artifact on the battlefield, except it's still a 5/5 blue Shapeshifter Construct artifact creature in addition to its other colors and types, and it has vigilance.
5/5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Card of the Day for 7/25/22 is Chosen of Markov // Markov's Servant.

Designwise, a good example of what to do with a transform common: A virtual-vanilla card with a highly flavorful transform condition. Forum lore-wise, Chosen of Markov infamously, according to one MTGS user, looked like their cousin.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 1 year ago

A favorite of mine. Transform mechanics can get quite varied, when you are not a Werewolf. A simple activated ability is the closest to a vanilla TDFC you can get outside of daybound/nightbound.

If the front face was an Elf the back face would be an Elf Vampire. But Human Vampire is not something you'll find on a type line.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
1 year ago
If the front face was an Elf the back face would be an Elf Vampire. But Human Vampire is not something you'll find on a type line.
Or Human Zombie, or Human Spirit. But that's a convention I'm okay with.

Ulka

Avaricious Accountant B
Creature - Human Zombie
oh no! it looks like Gary from accounting got bit and now he's after me for my spa day I charged as a business expense!
1/2

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Markov's Servant is just a little too ehhhh, stripperiffic for my tastes. A 4/4 for 2B isn't that exciting, either.

Kamigawa Wageslave -- B
Creature - Human Zombie
At the beginning of your end step, tap Kamigawa Wageslave.
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/26/22 is Consign to Dust

It's hard to get enthused about replicate-with-awkward-wording, but hey, it was a companion piece to heroic. (This particular card has no interactions there, however.)

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

I never liked strive. Everything about it is forced. It's altogether bad form.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Ulka

I also have felt Strive was always subpar in practice mostly becasue of the fact strive often required large amounts of mana. Had they made more unique costs to strive spells I think it could have been super cool.

Consign the Boneyard 1B
Sorcery - (C)
Strive - When casting for each target beyond the first, Consign the Boneyard has the additional cost of exile 3 cards from your graveyard.
Return any number of creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

Fires of Mt. Velus 2RR
Sorcery (R)
Strive - When casting Fires of Mt. Velus for each target beyond the first Fires of Mt. Velus has the additional cost of sacrifice a land.
Destroy any number of target nonbasic lands.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ophis Tower Ritual 3G
Sorcery (R)
Strive - As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice an enchantment for each target beyond the first.
Put three +1/+1 counters on each of any number of target creatures you control. Those creatures gain trample until end of turn.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/28/22 is Genju of the Spires

The kind of card that MaRo would tease in his hints article by saying "A one-mana card that can give you a 6-power creature"

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

This was part of a long series of perpetual auras, introduced first in Urza's Saga and Urza's Legacy, then revisited in Betrayers of Kamigawa (with the Genjus) and again in Time Spiral. Since then there've also been a few one-off designs.

There's also transferrable auras and auras that bounce themselves.

I admire this design space because it works to mitigate somewhat the major downside of using auras. Runes were also great, specifically because of the cards that we could build around them making them so worthwhile to have around.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/29/22 is Dragonlair Spider.

I just really like this design. Does work versus spellslinger lists in Commander. #BringBackPlanechase

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Unfortunately it's also super pricey! But the pattern is nice.

Mycoloth Guardian 2GG
Creature — Fungus Druid
Reach
Whenever a player casts a spell, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token.
Whenever Mycoloth Guardian attacks, other creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
3/3

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

It feels weird to me. I would expect the spider tokens to also be green and red, and possibly also have reach.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

I agree, though I'd note they're in fact Insect tokens! Which raises a further question: why isn't a spider making spider tokens? Maybe it slowed down the environment too much to have it make 1/2 reach tokens, or they weren't allowed to add an extra token.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
I agree, though I'd note they're in fact Insect tokens! Which raises a further question: why isn't a spider making spider tokens?
The flavor here is that these Insects are scavengers living off the spider's leftovers, not the spider's brood. But if you mean from a mechanical point of view, then yeah, 1/2 tokens with reach can definitely bog down combat.

Now, what really aggravates me is Vilespawn Spider. Doubly so because we already have a theme of graveyard-dependent spiders.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
I just really like this design.
Me too. Always have.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Hmm, whenever an opponent casts a spell.

CREATE A TREASURE TOKEN HAHAHAHA 2022 MTG don't @ me.

Just kidding.

How about an artifact that senses spellcasting.

Humming Powerstone
Artifact (R)
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, put a charge counter on Humming Powerstone.
, Remove all charge counters from humming powerstone: Add for each charge counter removed this way.

Do I add the 1? Lol.

Uh oh is this a combo piece. Maybe it should have another gate on it. Also the templating is probably wrong but I'm super tired so I can't be bothered to look up the right way to phrase the effect.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 8/1/2022 is Gnarlid Colony

Shout out to "Each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it has trample", gotta be one of my favorite commons or uncommons

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

From a card design point of view, comparing this with its Alchemy version is a fascinating study into the needs of two different environments.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 8/3/22 is Infernal Pet.

KHM's WB spellslinger theme was certainly interesting. This card did work in my Firja, Judge of Valor Arena Brawl deck.

Ulka

I really do like the second spell or second card drawn mechanics. They feel fun for "storming" without feeling overly stormy. that said it made me consider a card for a storm deck a a predecessor to the storm it's self.

Gust Front 1UR
Sorcery
Draw a card. If Gust Front is the second spell you cast this turn, draw two cards instead.
Storm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”