MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Keyword Sliver R
Creature - Sliver
All sliver creatures have the most recent set's red keyword ability.
1/1

Fine I will finally admit it, this might be the one instance this belief of mine doesn't hold true.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 9/19/22 is Hostile Realm.

Great name. Not the strongest design, sure, but I have a soft spot for enchant lands. Usually ones that grant utility abilities like this are part of a cycle but I don't think this one was.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 9/21/22 is Champion of Arashin.

White 3/1s and 3/2s are a potentially interesting topic.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 9/22/22 is Fate Foretold.

Very flavorful and reprintable common that mostly enables heroic.

Ulka

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 9/22/22 is Fate Foretold.

Very flavorful and reprintable common that mostly enables heroic.

I Just wish it had flash

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

Elegant card, but it does not really look that , does it? While it makes sense in the context of environment - enchantment, especially Auras, and targeting matters - if I would see the text alone I would envision a card.
Maybe, to make it more blue, it should read "When enchanted creature leaves the battlefield..."? Then it would play more into bounce or blink avaible in color.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Athreos's Fee 2WB
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When Athreos's Fee enters the battlefield, you gain 5 life.
When enchanted creature dies, draw three cards.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 9/23/22 is Suffer the Past.

Nice idea - cost-efficient X lifedrain that's locked to the number of cards in the target's graveyard maximum.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 9/26/22 is Slash Panther.

Of all the Phyrexian mana cards, this is probably the one that no one could ever argue is undercosted or overpowered. I like the little grace notes of Urabrask designing(?) a biomechanical big cat and that ominous flavor text.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 9/27/22 is The Birth of Meletis.

We've seen white get some unrestricted land search in recent years - I guess it's kind of an experiment - but mostly on Sagas, of all things.

Ulka

I have been considering this over the past few months but I think that I would love to see each color able to fetch basics to hand for 2 mana. yes green can do it for 1 but I think design-wise I think that each color should be able to grab to hand. that said being attached to creatures or other effects should only be efficient where it is already but we have things like Liliana's Shade so I would like to see more of it in Coresets, jumpstart packs, ect

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Well, we already have Plainscycling et al., which sets a baseline cost for that effect

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 9/17/22 is Terrifying Presence.

Great include for heroic or similar themes and I like the partial Fogs green gets of late.
Speaking of heroic, I think it would be cool if we got a Naya Heroic legend.

Braime, Wild Paragon
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
Ward
Heroic — Whenever you cast a spell that targets Braime, Wild Paragon, Braime gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
3/3

There's probably a better effect for this but I dunno off the top of my head.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Speaking of heroic, I think it would be cool if we got a Naya Heroic legend.

Braime, Wild Paragon
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
Ward
Heroic — Whenever you cast a spell that targets Braime, Wild Paragon, Braime gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
3/3

There's probably a better effect for this but I dunno off the top of my head.
If you go that simple, you could probably do this at uncommon and have this be the draft theme signpost legend.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 9/28/22 is Simplify.

Who knew Innocent Blood had a mirror? It's not official, but the mechanical connection seems obvious.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Terrain Collapse
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices a land.
Average lifespan of Otarian barbarians still exceeds that of miners.

Lighten Packs
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices an artifact.
Nomads know the line between preparedness and hoarding like no other.

I guess red could have just as likely artifacts, but then white would have no type for itself. Or maybe red should stay with Crack the Earth? And there is nothing that blue could force-sacrifice in this age of Magic.

Comparing Simplify to Innocent Blood is an interesting though. Since it is much easier to build a deck with no enchantments rather then one with no creatures, on surface level the green one is much easier to "break". However, even when breaking the parity, you only get somewhat discounted enchantment removal, while innocent blood shines when you actually want both to poke opponent's board and get death trigger from your creature.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Blue's nearest equivalent would be "each player mills" I think.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Each player shuffles their graveyard into their deck?
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Each player shuffles their graveyard into their deck?
I like that thought, and it's at least theoretically doable at one mana and a sorcery, but it breaks the symmetry of all of the cards at least putting cards into graveyards in some way (although the opposite-ness of it is also cool).

I also am just now enamored of the like "Each player mills cards equal to the number of cards in their hand."

Ulka

Curfew is a thing

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Curfew exists, yes, but firstly it is an instant, and on interaction piece this is huge difference; secondly, both Simplify and Innocent Blood are from graveyard-matters set, so they double as treshhold enabler, of all things.
Maybe indeed blue would get mill, but sorcery ": each player mills a card" sounds weak, and more cards mean that the cycle is nowhere as elegant.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 9/29/22 is Mystic Monastery.

Trilands are cool and this is good Jeskai flavor text.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Jeskai - blending red's aggresivness and elasticity, white's discipline and willpower and blue's precision and technique. The combination for professional battlemages, military engineers and martial artists of both unarmed and armed variety.
But I struggle to imagine any non-fighting (or at least, not fighting-focused) jeskai social group or civilization. Artists, of "docere, movere, delectare" variety, as opposed to more "self-expression" artists in Grixis? I am also not sure how to differentiate jeskai-flavour depending on which color is the "center" one.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

My solution is to shift what the colors designate - they don't have to be fully parallel philosophical ideas.

W centered hierarchical city-state powered by UR elemental magic, for example.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 9/30/22 is Smoldering Efreet.

More Jeskai! Not a great card, but I like seeing this type of thing in Limited. Maybe for a "damage dealt to you" theme?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”