void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Viscerid Nester 4B
Creature - Homarid Drone (C)
Menace
When Viscerid Nester enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 blue Camarid creature token.
2/5
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/4/23 is Vengeful Warchief.

Some flavorful Core Set generic uncommon fat for Limited. I like it.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/11/23 is Harmattan Efreet.

Vocab time! The harmattan is one of various dry and dusty winds from West Africa and the Middle East, like the Simoon and Sirocco.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Much better than Balloon Peddler or even Sailmonger (which is either win-more, or self-defeating).

That being said, 4MV 2/2s seem ... sigh ... underpowered in today's environment. Fair for its day, though.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/11/23 is Harmattan Efreet.

Vocab time! The harmattan is one of various dry and dusty winds from West Africa and the Middle East, like the Simoon and Sirocco.
Some of my favorite odd vocab words. We had to learn them during middle school as we did a major lesson on the Mediterranean and how those winds that are specifically named influenced culture for a massive area.

I wish more magic sets would pull from these more specific vocab because honestly this is how I learned vocab as a kid, through magic cards. It served me excellent in the GRE when I had to take it.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

OneAndOnly

While I appreciate real-world vocabulary, I find myself wanting to shy away from it - much like Wizards ultimately stopped using real-world quotes for flavor text.

I recently posted a card on one of card game threads called Voltlash. Immediately after I submitted it I thought to myself, "Which planes has Alessandro Volta ever planeswalked to?"

And there are untold number of similar name-words burrowed into the English language.....

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Immediately after I submitted it I thought to myself, "Which planes has Alessandro Volta ever planeswalked to?"
Apparently several, and Franz Anton Mesmer was even more of a prolific planeswalker. Ultimately if we discard every eponym of every kind, that really limits interesting and evocative word choice for names and flavor text.

I like real-world quote flavor texts specifically in core sets, personally.

OneAndOnly

Ultimately I find it opens more doors than it closes. It puts you in the position of considering who in the world being invented would hold a similar position - in ways that don't have to parallel real-world developments precisely - and develop flavor based around that.

Or in other words, Teferi's Puzzle Box gets you so far, but it makes sense that in-universe vocabulay would develop even further.

Plus, English is an accretive language - there are dozens of similes for most words that aren't derived from proper names.

Trying to excise all the Greek or Latin roots - now *that* would be a challenge! I heard a guy named Tolkien tried it once upon a time ....

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Ultimately I find it opens more doors than it closes. It puts you in the position of considering who in the world being invented would hold a similar position - in ways that don't have to parallel real-world developments precisely - and develop flavor based around that.
But for the cards' names it often feels like reinventing the wheel at best and makes the name unrecognizable at worst. Let say that before coming of Jace Beleren hypnosis was unheard of in Ravnica, so the whole art of mesmerism would instead derive its name from Beleren. Then you get a card named Vedalken Belerist. It is not that bad if the referenced character is otherwise important in storyline of set or the word is referenced quite a few time, but for a one-of derived from someone that does not appear or is mentioned anywhere else it starts to be problematic.
Even worse are words derived not from names. I have a hard time imaging that all those crusaders from different planes knew Latin and cared about crossess enough to name military campaigns or fighters after them. In case of Innistrad and Crusader of Odric (and also Cathars' Crusade, which is indeed one of the most ironic names caused by this) you could probably try to invent a similiar in meaning word around the Avacyn's Collar (as a lazy example "Collaring", then you end up with Collarel of Odric), but I am afraid most people would be just left wondering what your invented word means.
And for the useage of Greek or Latin (I would also call French and German as well) roots - this sounds fun on paper and in some cases I agree that you can actually use them to quite an effect (anything ending with "-cide" generally gets it point easily across, for instance), but the further you stray from those that are used in at least a handful of words, the lesser the chance that you would be understood. There is also a problem that some words, like anathema for instance, changed their meaning with time and world events, but once you do the faux-language evolution for the world building, should you use the meaning as of today, or how it was used at the beginning? Probably former, since the latter would result in needless confusion (like using "doom" as in "fate" nowadays), but if the goal was to remove real-world influences, then the evolution of meaning dictated by the real world should be discarded as well.

OneAndOnly

Yes, it's a challenge to make it sensible both in-universe and outside it.

Wizards tried this once, with the il-Kor and en-Kor (and Vecs), which I feel initially went over players' heads, but became much more appreciated in later years (especially when more of the lore could be found online, rather than reading a Random House book.)

I think OG Innistrad handled this better, with how certain ... legendary beings ... were referred to; it reflected how language would naturally corrupt their names over time, plus provided a surprise for players.

Early, more Garfield-influenced MtG leaned on real-world references - Monty Python, Albert Einstein, Edgar Allen Poe - but it's an awfully small pool to draught from, and a little bit goes along way. Recent Universe Beyond releases really strike me as failing to develop the IP at all, and even the great number of recent releases are more suggestive of worlds with great depth to them, rather than trying to explore them.

There's a balance to how much immersion you need/ want in the game though, and I think your last post misses a lot of that nuance. No one's asking for rabbits to be called smeerps, or however they're called on Eldraine.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

Like I said: it is not bad if the invented term is referenced multiple times or has a very clear - maybe even spoken aloud in flavour text - origin. But there are good reasons to not discount words that are derived from real world personas or events beyond the fact that inventing new words is time-consuming. And I would say that Harmattan Efreet is actually a very good middle ground. Using a word that is not widely known but has a distinct meaning in real world, or simply a word from a different language, allows at the same time to show a distinct vocabulary for a given plane and if someone wonders "what with the monkey and damage dealing?" or "what is rusalka anyway?", they can find it. If you go full on conlang or on faux-language evolution you lose that.
As for Magic IP... I agree that new worlds ring somewhat hollow - BRO is definietly my favourite set from the last two years, in part of the fact that I could understand importance of those events thanks to the whole lore around them - but that is inevitable effect of planeswalker-driven, one-set per world policy. One set per world does not give it much air to breathe, while focusing on planeswalkers means that the plot tends to connect with the overarching narrative, rather then making each world have its own, confined story.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/12/23 is Cathar's Companion.

So, draft themes. When you think of the enduring "cast a noncreature spell" theme, you think UR. But in cases like this and the Jeskai, for example, any past theme associated with certain colors can get somewhat bent into any other color, which I think is beautiful in terms of design space.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 1 year ago

I see rewarding "when you cast a noncreature spell" being an antithesis of Green, and being in all colors except green. I know green got Deeproot Champion, but I honestly think that card was a mistake / bad color design. Green sees a lot of non-green spells as problematic, thinking it's the only one that does such spells correctly, and with the proper respect for nature. It hates the disruption to the natural order that Time Walk makes as much, or possibly even more, than it hates artifice.

At least in how I like to personify the color wheel.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/16/23 is Eidolon of Countless Battles.

Stuff like this is among the neater ideas that have been pulled off with bestow.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/17/23 is Generous Stray.

Whomever designed this has a cat IRL.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/17/23 is Generous Stray.

Whomever designed this has a cat IRL.
As a fellow cat owner, yea they own a cat.

Midnight Zoomer 1R
Creature - Cat
Haste
Tapped creatures can block Midnight Zoomer.
Midnight Zoomer must be blocked by by a tapped creature if able.
2/2
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/18/23 is Temur Battle Rage.

A pretty well-known and, I think, well-designed combat trick.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/19/23 is Piranha Marsh.

I like a lot of the original-Zendikar ETB lands. The reason we don't see larger ETB effects on lands gated behind a cost - "When this enters the battlefield, you may pay MANA. When you do..." - is because the play patterns turn out poorly with players not wanting to play them without using the ability and holding on too long. I actually like the Great Hall of Starnheim cycle even better for largely aesthetic reasons...

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/20/23 is Rapid Hybridization.

Effects like these definitely make more sense with exile than destruction.

OneAndOnly

The flavor fail when the target creature has indestructible (or otherwise eludes being destroyed) is pretty huge. I'd rather put an "...if you do..." clause in there, although it limits the hack of Pongifying your own indestructible creature to get a flash 3/3 blocker.

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Effects like these definitely make more sense with exile than destruction.
They really should have settled on the Fowl Play Aura implementation earlier, but for whatever reason they made this thing after Lignify already brought the function into black-border.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

I am quite happy that moving forward these effects will be auras. Not being able to get the original creature back undermines how blue is supposed to be the worst at removing threats on the board, and I think it says something when some Dimir decks run mostly blue removal spells. Also it's more fun/flavorful that a transformation can be reversed eventually.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/23/23 is Deadly Allure.

I think this might be a unique case of (mono)black forcing blocks?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/24/23 is Kheru Dreadmaw.

A particularly flavorful off-color activated ability here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/25/23 is Dimir Doppelganger.

You can say one thing or another about complexity creep, but Shapeshifters have generally always been this complex.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”