MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

I now we've moved on from the talk about making/finishing the Simplify cycle, but I haven't had a moment to chime in with my idea for completing a cycle that also has only two cards and could probably get one or two more but doesn't seem like it could have a blue version.

Living Death
Scrap Mastery

Now we have three colors left, and a couple of permanent types.

The obvious answer is to have the Green one be a version for lands, but obviously that would be a horrible idea because it becomes basically Mass Land Destruction 99% of the time. No thanks.

EDIT: Unless you did some finagling and put in a little bit of text such as: Each player exiles all land cards from their graveyard, then for each land they exiled this way, that player sacrifices a land they control, then puts all cards they exiled this way onto the battlefield.

So that leaves enchantments, planeswalkers, and if you break the rules, instants and sorceries.

Now interestingly, I believe a white card in this vein for enchantments is very plausible as a real magic card, and I think it might happen here one of these days. However, the tricky part to me is, could green get a version of this for enchantments? I believe it would be within white's color pie to make everyone sacrifice planeswalkers and reanimate them, and I know green can obviously make players sacrifice enchantments, the question is, can green return enchantments directly to the battlefield? Is that legal??? I mean we have Gaea's Will...

If that IS the case, then I believe you could have two more cards in this cycle, which would be cool. The only way I can see blue joining in this cycle is if we get a new permanent type, or we fudge and allow instants and sorceries, and even them, I don't think that helps because that defeats the whole purpose of this type of effect, which is trading a bunch of resources on the field for those in the bin, which can't happen with instants and sorceries.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk. :)
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Go wacky all the way in!

White does planeswalkers, blue does enchantments...

Green sacrifices/brings back permanents of the Tribal type. There, solved.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Go wacky all the way in!

White does planeswalkers, blue does enchantments...

Green sacrifices/brings back permanents of the Tribal type. There, solved.
:grin: Sounds like a plan.

I love finding cards that were definitely not meant to be cycles and trying to make cycles for them lol.
For instance:

Archmage's Charm...
Archdruid's Charm
Archangel's Charm
Archfiend's Charm
Instant — (R)
Choose one —
• Archfiend's Charm deals 3 damage to any target.
• Creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn.
• Create two 1/1 red Devil creature tokens with: "When this creature dies, it deals 1 damage to any target."
Archdemon's Charm
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
The only way I can see blue joining in this cycle is if we get a new permanent type, or we fudge and allow instants and sorceries, and even them, I don't think that helps because that defeats the whole purpose of this type of effect, which is trading a bunch of resources on the field for those in the bin, which can't happen with instants and sorceries.
What about: "Each player exiles all instant and sorcery cards from their graveyard, then counter all (instant and sorcery(?)) spells, then each player casts all cards they exiled this way."
It could be even worse then the land version and it would need to be instant, but it would be something, at least.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/2/22 is Inspired Charge.

+2/+1 seems oddly to belong equally to black and white.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/3/22 is Memorial to Genius.

Utility/spell-lands are definitely a necessary thing.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/4/22 is Primordial Sage.

Very simple/powerful/reprintable.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

This one's gorgeous. I fell in love with it and another similar card in Commander 2014: Soul of the Harvest. A little while later I learned it had a mirror: Harvester of Souls!

Harvestide Soul 4WW
Creature — Archon
Vigilance
Whenever one or more token creatures enter the battlefield under your control, you may draw a card.
6/6

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

This is still one of the ravnica cards that doesn't scream it was designed for ravnica. The art has always made me think it was an alara card when I picked the game back up during Mirrodin besieged. That said I love the design of the card and how it differed from soul of the harvest
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/10/22 is Bloodthorn Taunter.

This mechanic just works so much better as ferocious (with a check for 4 power rather than 5).

Ulka

I'm in an odd place where I actually find that I find Power 5 or greater feels better actually. I remember when ferocious came out I loved that we keyworded it finally but I felt that 4 power often felt too small for the feeling of the might and majesty that was the behemoths and beasts that the effect was trying to inspire.

That said I'm a filthy Mayael the Anima player to there is that.

I do think this cards design could be moved down to a 1 cmc creature for limited play as it would be a solid aggro filler while also being an archetype card:

Bloody Thorntaunter R
Creature - Human Scout
Haste
T: Target creature with power 5 or greater gains haste until the end of turn.
1/1

Sporegorger_Dragon

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
I'm in an odd place where I actually find that I find Power 5 or greater feels better actually.
I am also torn. 5 seems exactly right for "kaiju matters", but 4 plays a bit better and easier to achieve.

Like if it was just a flavor/feel, I'd go with 5, but for gameplay I'd go with 4.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Like if it was just a flavor/feel, I'd go with 5, but for gameplay I'd go with 4.
I'd have to concede they both have their place.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/11/22 is Bruenor Battlehammer.

I like the fact that Bruenor rewards using Equipment in bulk.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/12/22 is Mardu Hateblade.

Wish this were 1/2 for multiple reasons.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/13/22 is Greater Tanuki.

All of the adorable. That typing seems off though: "Raccoon dog" ≠ "dog".

Sporegorger_Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
That typing seems off though: "Raccoon dog" ≠ "dog".
This is a case of the horseshoe "crab" naming all over again.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/17/22 is Forge Armor.

An unusual super-top-down combat trick.

Ulka

oh lord that mana cost. I do think this could be done for Mana Value 3 now a days but still its a cool effect just over costed.

Morpic_Tide

Post by Morpic_Tide » 1 year ago

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
oh lord that mana cost. I do think this could be done for Mana Value 3 now a days but still its a cool effect just over costed.
Think it's because of the amount of recursion and discounts for Artifacts the block had. Drop Oxidda Golem for , play this, sac Oxidda Golem for +6/+6 on whatever you feel like for 5r. As an instant-speed shift of the line. Also Modular creatures, do it to Arcbound Overseer to stack Arcbound Reclaimer to get back a pile of Modular creatures, Overseer included, to pump Arcbound Crusher into the stratosphere to swing through the opponent's ENTIRE board with one fat boy. Only a board wipe actually stops that, too.

A lot of the reason it'd be fine at 2r today is just that P/T values are way more aggressive to start with, and giant boosts far easier to come by, so you don't HAVE these giant disparities turning CMC into incredible efficiency boosts.

Ulka

Fair. Also it doesn't help I miss read the spell and thought it said equipment.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/19/22 is Singing Tree.

Obligatory

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/20/22 is Tavern Scoundrel.

The natural counterpart to one of my all-time faves, Tavern Swindler.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/25/22 is Lifeblood Hydra.

The First Tyrannic War wombo combo.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/31/22 is Crypt Ripper.

Something spooky for Halloween!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”