MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

(re: Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury)

silly with Relentless Assault effects and in the colours of Bladewing the Risen, this one causes a lot of trouble :3 some of those uncommon and rare dragons from Tarkir block are fairly underwhelming but Kolaghan's a killer... I also like Archwing Dragon as a direct precursor. hmm...

Sky Observer 1rr
Creature - Viashino Nomad
Whenever a Dragon permanent is returned to your hand, put a +1/+1 counter on Sky Observer.
2/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

folding_music wrote:
1 year ago
Sky Observer 1rr
Creature - Viashino Nomad
Whenever a Dragon permanent is returned to your hand, put a +1/+1 counter on Sky Observer.
2/3
I really like the flavor here, but this seems narrow (unless it's meant to be a Commander's Tools Game-type riff).

Would make a bit more sense mechanically (but the flavor wouldn't be quite as precise) if it counted Viashinos as well.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Something I never noticed until I built with her is that Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury along with the other FRF dragons are all built to scale with the number of dragons you have. This makes the DTK dragonlord cycle weird by comparison — once they become dragonlords they cooperate less with their clans!

So what if the dragonlords still cared? We could say that the FRF dragons care about attacking and in hindsight that makes sense because they were still at war. The DTK dragons won the war, and so could care about something else — probably just dragons entering the battlefield.

Lord Kolaghan, the Eternal Fury 3BR
Legendary Creature — Elder Dragon
Flying, haste
Players can't gain life.
Whenever a dragon enters the battlefield under your control, it deals damage equal to its power to up to one target creature.
5/5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/9/2022 is Sawback Manticore.

Kinda funky, and largely out-of-color these days (RW would probably make sense), and also I'm not sure if this card was playable at those costs even back when it was released? Five mana for 2 power is just never all that attractive for a card whose only purpose is to get into combat.

I think there's plenty of place for funny little one-offs like this as long as they're at least fringe playable or usable in Limited. (But total chaff is a necessary thing that should exist... it just shouldn't be the stuff that's intended to be bombs.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

What a weird manticore. But it sent me down a trail of thought that lead to this design:

Haktos's Dragoon 1RW
Creature — Human Soldier
First strike, haste
Whenever Haktos's Dragoon attacks, exile it until the next time you attack with one or more creatures. It enters the battlefield tapped and attacking. When it enters the battlefield this way, it deals damage equal to its power to any target.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
What a weird manticore. But it sent me down a trail of thought that lead to this design:

Haktos's Dragoon 1RW
Creature — Human Soldier
First strike, haste
Whenever Haktos's Dragoon attacks, exile it until the next time you attack with one or more creatures. It enters the battlefield tapped and attacking. When it enters the battlefield this way, it deals damage equal to its power to any target.
3/3
That's really neat. Sweaty nude Greek guys in cold storage! And a good lesson about attack triggers.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/10/2022 is Release the Dogs.

One of those "perfect effect for the name" cards.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

I'm somewhat miffed that the first "4 MV to create 4 1/1s" does not produce Saprolings. The closest is Rith's Charm, 3 for 3 1/1s.

Ah well, we'll always have Fungal Sprouting...
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

I have always like these scaled up Dragon Fodder effects. They make for very solid Limited fodder in a custom sets but are a tad boring when it comes to just designing a card but hey staples are meant to be boring but reliable.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
They make for very solid Limited fodder in a custom sets but are a tad boring when it comes to just designing a card
Hmmm, now you made me wonder about combining Beacon of Creation with Release the Dogs:

Saproling Collecting
3{G}
Sorcery (U)
Choose one-
-Create four 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens.
-Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token for each Forest you control.

Howl of the Nightpack is uncommon, so what would this be?
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

I think you mean release the cats?

Unshackled Growth 1G
Enchantment
If you would create one or more creature tokens, you may instead create that many 3/3 green Elemental creature tokens.
At the beginning of your end step, populate. (Create a token that's a copy of a creature token you control.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Unshackled Growth 1G
Enchantment
If you would create one or more creature tokens, you may instead create that many 3/3 green Elemental creature tokens.
At the beginning of your end step, populate. (Create a token that's a copy of a creature token you control.)
Woof, I think this way undervalues populate.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/13/2022 is Symmetry Sage.

...neat.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/14/2022 is Kitsune Riftwalker.

I try to avoid "Ice Age-ism" where there are too many cards that hose a signature mechanic. While snow basic lands are now considered a staple for being able to pay for S costs, giving extra utility for "free", when they were first printed they were worse than basics because Ice Age was full of things like Avalanche and Cold Snap.

Ulka

These cards that hose specific mechanics I actually like when designed specifically as weak cards at common as they occasionally show up in pauper if they hose the right area then but otherwise don't limit the set's limited playability.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

This fits right in with Dragon Hunter and Hidden Dragonslayer. If you want to play up opposition in a set between a stronger and weaker side, create a thing on the underdog side that is designed specifically to hate on the other side.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/24/22 is Spin Engine.

I like this cycle a lot. Just some Limited fun.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/27/2022 is Library of Leng.

Apart from the weirdness of the Oracle text this feels very modern.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/28/2022 is Duskrider Falcon.

Not the only 1M 1/1 bird with flying and protection.

Ulka

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/28/2022 is Duskrider Falcon.

Not the only 1M 1/1 bird with flying and protection.
I think I've mentioned this before but these type of draft chaft creatures with Protection are something I do quite like in magic. I prefer if they have protection directly to a major archetype or tribe if that's relevant to the set but I do really love their roles that they play in older limited settings where creatures were less powerful.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

I once had a W/b Pestilence deck that features all pro-black critters (Death Speakers, Order of Leitbur and such), plus Deathlace and Touch of Darkness to turn things black. It was a fun, casual deck. Despite many similarities with White Knight and its kin, this plays quite a bit differently -- flying versus first strike is quite a difference.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Taunting Canary 1R
Creature — Bird
Flying
Each cat and each dog attacks each combat if able.
1/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/30/22 is Grixis Sojourners.

Ah the Sojourners cycle! "When you cycle or it dies" is a great little trigger condition. They're all "Alara multicolor" of course, but, uh, it's Alara.

Ulka

Sojourners are a very unique cycle that i think could use a rules expansion to include the Ammonket wording for Cycle or discard as that we could have maybe seen a fun cycle of Sojourners on Ammonket.

Oketra's Sojourner 1WWW
Creature - Human Nomad (C)
Protection from Desert
Whenever you Whenever you cycle or discard Oketra's Sojourner or it dies, tap up to one target creature and exert it.
Cycling 2W
2/5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Kefnet's Sojourner 1UUU
Creature - Naga Nomad (C)
Kefnet's Sojourner can't be blocked by creatures with counters on them.
When you cycle or discard Kefnet's Sojourner or it dies, scry 2.
Cycling 2U
3/3

Bontu's Sojourner 1BBB
Creature - Minotaur Nomad (C)
Deathtouch
When you cycle or discard Bontu's Sojourner or it dies, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain life equal to the life lost this way.
Cycling 2B
4/2

Hazoret's Sojourner 1RRR
Creature - Jackal Nomad (C)
Haste
When you cycle or discard Hazoret's Sojourner or it dies, each opponent sacrifices an artifact with mana value 3 or less.
Cycling 2R
3/3

Rhonas's Sojourner 1GGG
Creature - Human Nomad (C)
Trample
When you cycle or discard Rhonas's Sojourner or it dies, put up to one target noncreature permanent card from your graveyard into your library second from the top.
Cycling 2G
3/3

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”