MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

That's one way to cheat out Phage. Since the ability has no timing restriction, you can copy something unblockable, then transform into Phage after you get through.

I actually think this is the reason why this sort of effect is no longer printed, at least for this cost. Lazav, the Multifarious is the only other card that can do this; all the other cards have some sort of restriction to avoid this (like only using your opponent's graveyard), or can't dodge Phage's game-loss trigger anyway, like Body Double.

Edit: Something strange going on with the card tags in this post, so I removed them.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/26/23 is Spawnbinder Mage.

Cohort isn't that bad. It's really not! It feels mechanically relevant for Allies and although it's a parasitic mechanic, there are plenty of Allies between six different Zendikar sets (although Zendikar Rising was lacking them) and a few extra one-offs. The issue is just the same as with a lot of things in BFZ and OGW: The designs were boring and not good enough. I think if you add in "Whenever this becomes tapped" triggered abilities on cards with cohort, you can get an exciting "combine the effects" play pattern where you decide which to activate depending on the situation and can build a Swiss Army Knife group of creatures.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/27/23 is Magmatic Force.

I don't think anyone would have guessed Verdant Force would have been turned into a mega-mega cycle more than a decade after it was first printed until it happened.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/27/23 is Magmatic Force.

I don't think anyone would have guessed Verdant Force would have been turned into a mega-mega cycle more than a decade after it was first printed until it happened.
And this is my favorite of the cycle honestly.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
And this is my favorite of the cycle honestly.
The fact that it is Lightning Bolt every single turn is awesomely splashy, but I do like Tidal Force - you can spam the hell out of T abilities or lock down the biggest threats.

Ulka

Eldritch Force 5CCC
Creature - Elemental Eldrazi
At the beginning of each upkeep, that player exiles a permanent you don't control.
7/7

This is likely way to broken but I like the feel of it.

Ulka

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/31/23 is Crosis's Catacombs.

Well this cycle of lair lands (Darigaaz's Caldera, Dromar's Cavern, Rith's Grove, Treva's Ruins)are ones I wish were better but even more so I wish were finished in Ikoria, LAIR OF THE BEHEMOTHS.

I also think that the Lair land subtype is something that should be explored. It could be a fun way to add more lore to a legendary creature.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I too wish the Lairs were better. We used to think trilands needed to be Karoos apparently, and it was an early foray into land types mattering, paving the way for Locuses and Gates. There has to be something that can be done with the Lair type in the current time.

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 1 year ago

Given the lack of complaint, I suppose I'll field "The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day" for 2/2/23:

A great mirror-match card wincon, but ultimately only "late game" by red aggro standards in its original format because this is the block of the Artifact Lands, Memnite, and the advent of equipment, so getting this by turn 5 was, and still is, rather trivial.

Edit: Wait, no, Memnite was Scars, Mirrodin block had Ornithopter. And Paradise Mantle, Welding Jar, and Chrome Mox.

Ulka

oh what a call back of a card. I miss cards with drawbacks

Ulka

Furnace Rager 2R
Creature - Goblin (C)
Affinity for Artifacts
Haste
When Furnace Rager enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, exile all artifacts.
2/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/6/23 is Penumbra Wurm.

Apocalypse was the first time enemy color pairings were a theme - this second life as an enemy color was probably one of the cleverer ideas to come out of it.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/8/23 is Battlewing Mystic.

Off-color kicker costs that grant an effect that feels like both colors are pretty satisfying.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/9/23 is Deathgreeter.

Inverse Soul Sister - and I really like the worldbuilding in the flavor text, letting us know about the religious beliefs of (well, one specific necromantic cult of) humans on Jund.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/10/23 is Wildslayer Elves.

1. I so often love set/block mechanic French vanillas.
2. Is this the most ominous French vanilla flavor text ever?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/13/23 is Dukhara Peafowl.

Colorless artifact creatures with colored activated abilities are always fun to look at, and I like the choice of a type of bird that, as a natural animal, would only do limited flight for a creature with activated-flying.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/14/23 is Sanctum of Shattered Heights.

Low-key, the Sancta of M21 are my favorite Shrine cycle, and this beefy Seismic Assault is a prime example of why.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/15/23 is Profane Memento.

Sort of a Soul Net for the modern age. I really like the quote in the flavor text from a Blood Artist given this card deals in lifegain when creatures die.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Fun when it shows up unexpectedly in a dedicated mill deck.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/16/23 is Dwarven Patrol.

The blue-skinned dwarves of Apocalypse are pretty poorly explained on the cards, but in the lore they're the Stone Druids - maybe they were the descendants of the dwarves of Oryn Deeps, whom Yawgmoth almost wiped out with a disease called the Black Cough.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/17/23 is Spellheart Chimera.

Ah, the classic UR draft signpost uncommon: "Some kind of three-mana flying thing that grows based on instorceries"

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/18/23 is Parhelion Patrol.

I like cards like this for Limited environments. I also just plain like mentor. This card's value in Limited is a lot to do with its comfort: It's evasive, attacking with it isn't costly (vigilance! high toughness!), and those things mean that you can repeatedly use the exciting guild mechanic.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/20/23 is Elderwood Scion.

Whoa, proto-ward! Also, I miss Planechase.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/21/23 is Cathar's Shield.

Granting vigilance is a nice touch, I think.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Thalia's got quite the career, huh? From guardian, to heretic, to guardian again and now riding a giant toad monster...
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”