Which do you like more?

Inkeyes22
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Inkeyes22 » 4 years ago

Kiora, the Crashing Wave. I like the -1 better and the emblem gives eventuality.

Victory's Herald or Akroma's Memorial?

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Memorial, by a country mile. I could talk about how the protections are super relevant and make things like Blasphemous Act catastrophically asymmetrical, or how lifelink isn't really that important on Victory's Herald, but, for me the big draw on Akroma's Memorial is the mass haste. Mass haste is common enough in red, and Concordant Crossroads exists, but... It's basically unheard of anywhere else. The printing of Crashing Drawbridge was kind of a big deal, IMO. But, that leaves you with just these two cards for mass haste.

Have we had this matchup yet?

- OR -

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

I don't think we've seen this before. Gary is streets ahead of Kokopuffs to my mind, but does need a bit of external setup. His ceiling is just much higher, even outside of a mono colored build. It's easy to spam Koko in a reanimation build, but then the same can be said of Gary and with potentially a greater impact and less work. Ultimately I think it's going to be build dependent, but with appropriate planning Gary just needs less work. Plus he gets it for financial cost and CMC; Koko wins out for evasion, but that's a minor thing, you're here for the bleeder effect mostly.

Let's give Memorial a more even matchup:

vs
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Inkeyes22

Post by Inkeyes22 » 4 years ago

So I didn't want to reply too early as that might be a thing, but I think the 7 cmc makes it a little closer than it might appear. I do think that Akroma's Memorial still wins because Concordant Crossroads effects all creatures so you are likely using it to combo kill out of no where, maybe?

What about Pendelhaven vs. Growing Rites of Itlimoc?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Growing Rites for sure. The ceiling on it is so high, and the contitions are so easy to meet. Pendelhaven goes further in Modern, but is kind of ineffective in Commander.

And yes, I'm necro-ing this thread because I remember enjoying it quite a bit. Not only that, plenty of new cards have come out in the last two years and player attitudes on things are always shifting. So without further adieu:

vs.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Nyxbloom, because it's not conditional.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Nyxbloom, because it's not conditional.
Ok, but now you like, have to submit your own.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Okay, I remember this game.

Here's one that's been bugging me for some time:

Necrologia or Damnable Pact?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Necrologia, because it's vastly more mana efficient and the upside of Pact being a burn spell to take someone out of a game happens once in a blue moon.

Austere Command or Cleansing Nova?

This one is literally on the front page!

How about Imperial Seal or Grim Tutor?

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 year ago

Ah, the battle of the PR stunt reprints. Imma go with Grimmy on this one, the sorcery speed on Seal hurts it a lot in my opinion. Plus given its great scarcity, it gets you flagged as an extreme tryhard immediately. We'll see how the landscape changes post-reprint - Grim Tutor used to be wildly unattainable as well, so it gave off similar big wallet energy vibes. That one made it to a core set though.

How about some topical white stuff - Archivist of Oghma versus Smuggler's Share?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

I go archivist. Smugglers I think relies too much on the land clause, which I think people overestimate.

I'll just pick a couple of my favorites: Mirage Mirror or Sunforger?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Sunforger. I love the Boros guild and this one doesn't even need a specific thing to be on the battlefield to do shenaniganery.

or
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

I'm gonna say return, just because I prefer going tall to going wide. Plus, the overrun ends a nonzero amount of games here and there.

Loyal Apprentice or Dreadhorde Invasion?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Dreadhorde, but it was a tough decision. Being an enchantment makes it tougher to kill and being able to possibly recoup the life via the lifelink rider is pretty good.

vs.
vs.

This one makes me curious because Grip was considered the best for so long, but I'm finding that exiling and grave hate are pretty necessary these days too so I wanted to see what people thought.

ukkuhrmakhai

Post by ukkuhrmakhai » 1 year ago

Return to Nature just for the versatility. Split-second is amazing but I think the gy hate is slightly better, very close though.

Took Too Long:
Loyal Apprentice or Dreadhorde Invasion
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Dreadhorde Invasion because it requires less setup. Incidental lifegain is nice too.
Return of the Wildspeaker or Beast Whisperer
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Beast Whisperer I love an elfball/creature storm deck and beast whisperer is a creature so it picks up any other creature synergies you have. Beast Whisperer lets you keep building up your board while keeping cards in hand for post wrath.
Two Commanders I have been looking at for artifacts:
OR
+

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Jaheira and Clan Crafter if only because Urza is broken and often a chore to play against.

vs.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Swan song, obviously. Birds are excellent, on-the-nose pop culture references less so.

Silvos, Rogue Elemental or Carnage Tyrant?

ukkuhrmakhai

Post by ukkuhrmakhai » 1 year ago

Silvos, Rogue Elemental because it can survive wraths and being blocked. I initially put Carnage Tyrant but I realized as big as these creatures are, trample vanilla creatures usually die in the attack or to wrath.

Gonti, Lord of Luxury or Praetor's Grasp

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 1 year ago

I'd say Gonti, Lord of Luxury because it's faster to resolve, you don't need to be in the right colours and it can be abused more easily, but it's a close call.

Black Market Connections or Sylvan Library ?

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Sylvan Library and it's not even particularly close. Library is probably the strongest green card draw spell in the game, whereas Connections is just another in a long line of decent black draw spells.

vs

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Oooooooh, this is hard.

Yawgwin does exactly what it's called, but breach can do similar insane things without an exile clause holding the reins.

Gonna say Yawgwin anyway. It's cleaner to resolve, less bookkeeping and setup, and it gives me warm fuzzies thinking about all the games I won with TES back in the day.

Archangel of Thune or Nykthos Paragon?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Archangel because I think I can reliably gain small bits of life repeatedly rather than big chunks once per turn. It also can't be Disenchanted. They make a really good team though!

VS.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Illicit Shipment, hands down. Goons are expendable, mana is precious.

Fervent Mastery or Ideas Unbound?

NotARooster

Post by NotARooster » 1 year ago

I'm gonna go with Ideas Unbound. I like both cards a lot but the art for Ideas is better :grin:

OR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”