[Official] State of Modern Thread (B&R 07/13/2020)

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47
Pronoun: he / him

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 2 weeks ago

Is there a deck that slaughters BR Lurrus variants? Essentially 4 DRC, 4 Monkey, and then a ton of 1/2 drops? I was running Elementals, but lost to it three times in a row. Overall, I think I'm still high, but is there anything that does even better?

I'm strongly considering 4 Engineered Explosives main and Leyline of Sanctity SB.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Jeskai Phoenix, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 weeks ago

MTG goldfish has a aggregate data for Elves of the collected company variety. A couple of the more recent techie cards it gets is Realmwalker and Elvish Warmaster. One of the newest toys it might try and play is Rite of Harmony. Over all the higher tiered tribal decks at the moment is goblins in BRG, and 4 color humans. Overall tribal strategy has taken a huge beating by more efficient cards being grouped together in other colors.

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 2 weeks ago

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
2 weeks ago
Is there a deck that slaughters BR Lurrus variants? Essentially 4 DRC, 4 Monkey, and then a ton of 1/2 drops?
Yes, Wizards Ban is pretty good against it. Monkey was a mistake and only still living because:
  • Modern is not much played in paper due to COVID
  • Modern is not in Arena
  • A staple mythic in a high priced set is a Hasbro wet dream
And, no, I don't buy the argument that it encourages interaction. Any card that is not a reactive spell or prison piece encourages interaction. But monkey is closer to a combo card that needs an immediate answer than a true permanent you have a few turns to answer. You always need turn-1 answers for the monkey and as FCG pointed out, you end-up skewing your maindeck to ridiculous level to avoid both the CA and mana advantage on a 1-drop. DRC at least takes many turns to embody its effect: reducing your life total to zero. Monkey gives you cards and mana, which is an accumulating effect.

Simto
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Simto » 2 weeks ago

I watched a bit of the World Championship stream and standard looks like a boring game of limited compared to Modern. I hope we get to see some bigger modern tournaments again some time. Or some other tournament not hosted by Wizards themselves. Their streams are an absolute chore to watch.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 2 weeks ago

I know Face to Face games up here in Canada is making the return of their open series with a bunch of double open weekends, first one is end of the month in Toronto. I can't wait for that type of atmosphere again

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 1 week ago

As someone who has been exclusively playing UR MonkeTide in paper and online for months, Monkey is fine. He is killed or roadblocked by many decks and is frequently completely sided out against any deck playing any meaningful number of creatures. It's a great card, but not broken by any means. Arguably, it's not even the best creature in that deck, much less the format as a whole.

I wish it weren't as expensive so more people could see first hand. They always remember the one game they saw, where a T1 Monke spirals out of control, but never see the dozens where it dies immediately or can't attack turn after turn because of blockers.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 1 week ago

It may or may not be fine in Modern, but I have heard of those clamoring for Monkey's ban, DRC's ban, or Daze's ban in Legacy.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Jeskai Phoenix, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 1 week ago

I mean, whether something is OK or not in one format is wholly irrelevant to another. Especially when Modern is explicitly hostile to creatures, and most resolved creatures can do whatever they want in Legacy.

Sounds like it'd be nuts in a format ruled by efficient cantrips and free counters, while being relatively light on creature removal.

drmarkb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by drmarkb » 1 week ago

It is nuts in Legacy, trust me.
You can't run as much anti critter stuff in Legacy, and the resources it nicks snowball extremely quickly.
Daze + Monkey + force pretty much means it does so much against non synergy decks like e.g. enchantress or cloudpost. So outside of those sort of niche decks, monkey gets value off their library most of the time.
Not as big a problem in Modern. That said, last two times it got dropped against me t1 I lost convincingly, unable to draw removal as they ramped along.. Then again that was with a weak-ish deck not especially well constructed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”