[Official] State of Modern Thread (B&R 07/13/2020)

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

That's also true, the combo pieces mainly cost 2 cmc (Unmarked Grave , Persist and Faithful Mending ). Plus archon has no built in protection. I guess sometimes you just don't draw your right parts and get stuck on the beatdown plan with a bunch of utility creatures

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

@motleyslayer

2 is a good cmc for modern imo. Allows a turn 1 seize or duress to see if the coast is clear. If I'm building the deck, I would probably try to squeeze in 1 Grave Titan somewhere in the main, as a backup plan that can be hard cast in case I don't find an archon.

feels like this deck has a a lot of potential to improve. Someday, wotc might print more powerful non legendary creatures that could supplement the archon or even replace it.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

I agree 2 cmc is a good cost for modern, guess I should have been a bit more clear. I agree the deck has room to improve, I just feel sometimes the deck feels clunky and a bit slow. But I guess 3feri can really protect the combo. As I said previously, maybe someone just needs to get the more optimal shell for it. Grave Titan seems good because it leaves cards behind

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

If I do see much more of this reanimator deck, I might add Big Game Hunter to my Zombie's side-board. :)

motleyslayer

there's like 2 of it at my local meta, I've just never seen it outside of my local area. There's also 3 people with amulet titan at my local meta too

Simto

Post by Simto » 2 years ago

More triomes incoming :)

iTaLenTZ

Post by iTaLenTZ » 2 years ago

Great, so I can play triome on the draw and die to Hammer or let a Ragavan connect.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 2 years ago

iTaLenTZ wrote:
2 years ago
Great, so I can play triome on the draw and die to Hammer or let a Ragavan connect.
:rofl: I'm assuming you're kidding.

Don't underestimate the impact this will happen in Modern, as if 5 color was not already super viable. Now there are literally 0 mana issues. Maybe Blood Moon goes up in price? Many Jundies, Esperitos, Nayafans, Bantanas, and Nicole Bolass fans are going to be super happy. :love:
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

motleyslayer

I'm pretty glad we're getting enemy triomes now. I'm interested to see the esper one in esper control style decks. I always hated the way people built the mana for that deck but I guess it sort of worked.

ThatStoryTeller

Post by ThatStoryTeller » 2 years ago

Firespout and Alpine Moon in my dimir midrange sideboard here I come. Terminate is gonna put in good work as an upgrade too

iTaLenTZ

Post by iTaLenTZ » 2 years ago

Goodbye Lurrus you won't be missed.

"Lurrus's play rate (31% in Magic Online League decks that started with four wins) points to a card that is contributing to the homogenization of the Modern play experience."

If anything is homogenizing the format its W6. And what about Saga being slammed in almost every deck. Now that Lurrus is gone people will move on to the next best thing and that is 4/5c goodstuff Yorion. I support the ban of Lurrus but its too little. More cards need to go.

Simto

Oh boy they did it

motleyslayer

I understand why Lurrus was banned, as it made up so much of the meta but now I feel like I gotta figure something else for the few modern events I have coming up As a shadow player I don't know where to go

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
I understand why Lurrus was banned, as it made up so much of the meta but now I feel like I gotta figure something else for the few modern events I have coming up As a shadow player I don't know where to go
Yeah, I have a $1K coming this Saturday, but I rarely play Lurrus. I only have played Lurrus for fun, lol. Our meta is not run over by it in the slightest, as there are plenty of good decks without it. My fear locally is that Money Pile Yorion will take over. Already in the past few months, many of the better players have flocked to it. Ivan Espinosa plays for the local team at Top Deck Keep, where I am playing the $1K this Saturday. So it's definitely going to be the "deck to beat," even if Shadow and Hammer lost very little in terms of being strong decks.

My fear is that WotC is going to be examining Mishra's Bauble now. If it remains in non artifact decks (same with Saga) and non Dragon's Rage Channeler, I feel they ban Yorion, Bauble, S Aid, and Urza's Saga next ban list. No bans are going to happen in the next few years in my opinion. WotC is literally going to wait until no one cares anymore.
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

motleyslayer

I wouldn't be surprised if bauble got a ban, even without Lurrus it's still really good. My options for the 1k I'm playing in this coming weekend are now either play some version of gds with Lurrus, murktide or living end

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
I wouldn't be surprised if bauble got a ban, even without Lurrus it's still really good. My options for the 1k I'm playing in this coming weekend are now either play some version of gds with Lurrus, murktide or living end
Great choices. Personally I would go with Murktide, but the differences in how I feel about each deck are very small. I just heard on a chat that Murktide may be the way to go now. I thought about it and kind of agreed. :rofl: If I wanted to be the most competitive at this $1K, I'd do Murktide personally and I actually have the cards. That being said, I feel like I can get it done with Amulet as well and it's what I've been playing (again) since Boseiiju. :grin:
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

motleyslayer

I'm heavily leaning towards Murktide, deck seems solid. I'm okay with living end but it's too linear for me

GrAsH

Post by GrAsH » 2 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
If Bauble dies, just replace it with Street Wraith in Shadow. Not the same, I know, but it's a free cantrip.

Simto

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
2 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
Great choices. Personally I would go with Murktide, but the differences in how I feel about each deck are very small. I just heard on a chat that Murktide may be the way to go now. I thought about it and kind of agreed. :rofl: If I wanted to be the most competitive at this $1K, I'd do Murktide personally and I actually have the cards. That being said, I feel like I can get it done with Amulet as well and it's what I've been playing (again) since Boseiiju. :grin:
How are you liking Boseiju so far? I see Green Tron swapped Yavimaya out for one copy of Boseiju too.

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 2 years ago

Happy to see Lurrus go. I have no issue with the card or the decks it is in, but for my mind no card should be in that many decks in a format like Modern.

Ed06288

Post by Ed06288 » 2 years ago

Have fun losing to yorion money piles.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

Ed06288 wrote:
2 years ago
Aren't most decks money piles? I really dont see much difference.

motleyslayer

GrAsH wrote:
2 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
If Bauble dies, just replace it with Street Wraith in Shadow. Not the same, I know, but it's a free cantrip.
I get what you're saying in regards to this but there's a few different things you can do with both. bauble let's you know a bit of what to play around and can help you know when to fetch. Wraith can also serve as a type of combat trick to grow your shadow(s)

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
Ed06288 wrote:
2 years ago
Aren't most decks money piles? I really dont see much difference.
While I see your point, 2 of the top 3 decks just lost a key component in Lurrus. The other deck didn't lose anything in the announcement and may seem to gain something from the new Triomes in the upcoming set. This quite possibly makes for a LOT of Yorion decks. I personally hope something else adapts and there is a predator of Money Pile, as the deck has become quite annoying at the local level and stands to be even more prominent every tournament. Everyone has to wait for turns every round as well, which is not something that happens in a Lurrus Modern.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 2 years ago

If Yorion becomes an issue it can probably be more easily dealt with than Lurrus. In Legacy Yorion has become the dominant d n T deck, and slips in at the fringes of the fringe elsewhere, money pile dual land based Legacy decks have not adopted it as they are too busy fighting on other axis to be able to include it. In Modern the mana base of Yorion is theoretically vulnerable and it relies on value creatures, two areas that could be hit quite easily by new design. They won't probably include back to basics et al, although you never know, but they always seem to be exploring new torpor orb effects. I guess it will be "watch this space"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”