[Official] State of Modern Thread (B&R 07/13/2020)

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 1 year ago

played a 1K yesterday, played Murktide to 9th/36, with prizing to top 8.

round 1 opponent no showed. to my understanding staff let them sign up as they were running late, they just made it after the 10 minutes allowed in a round for round 1

round 2 I beat UR prowess 2-1. He said this was his first modern event, he mostly played limited. Game 1 he flooded, game 2 he had a good start. Game 3 I had a turn that let me crack a Fiery Islet to draw a card and cast double Expressive Iteration to draw the threats I needed to win.

round 3 I 2-0 storm. He doesn't get much going game 1, g2 he cast a Wish to get a Galvanic Relay for 9, but hit like 3 remand and 2 rituals

round 4 I get easily 2-0d by money pile. I didn't stand a chance.

round 5 a quick loss to affinity. Both games felt like I was on the back foot.

round 6 I easily 2-0 Yawg chord. game 1 he didn't get much going. game 2 I bait him into blocking a Dragon's Rage Channeler with a Young Wolf . then I exiled his gy with my lantern. that also turned on delirium for me, I cash another drc after.

I knew I needed a bit of luck to top 8, as 2 4-2s made it but just missed on breakers. which sucks after starting 3-0

Ed06288

Post by Ed06288 » 1 year ago

I like the tournament report, I miss reading them when paper play was more popular.

Anyway, if $100 is a fair price for a draft booster box, what's a fair price on a collector booster box?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 1 year ago

yeah, nice report there motley. I always like reading these. Feels like being part of the action.

hopefully when corona is fully over, there would be more paper play - and more reports from people.

@motleyslayer

first time I heard of "money pile" deck. Is it one of the top decks in modern today?

what kind of deck is it, aggro, contol, or combo?

thanks for any info.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 1 year ago

so this may not be the best place for a question like this so I apologize in advance

so I was going through some old decks or whatever and I have this horrible self build rg deck. well I am in the mood to upgrade or recreate a deck (as long as it has at least some cards I like or want to cast) that's only rg. well I saw there were some but they have ragavan and wrenn.

so my question is. . .is there any tech that is "pretty good" or decent in modern card pool that is rg that does not have ragavan and wrenn? its not that im against those cards specifically I just don't have any and I suppose im not inclined to buy them.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 1 year ago

The N82O Molecule wrote:
1 year ago
so this may not be the best place for a question like this so I apologize in advance

so I was going through some old decks or whatever and I have this horrible self build rg deck. well I am in the mood to upgrade or recreate a deck (as long as it has at least some cards I like or want to cast) that's only rg. well I saw there were some but they have ragavan and wrenn.

so my question is. . .is there any tech that is "pretty good" or decent in modern card pool that is rg that does not have ragavan and wrenn? its not that im against those cards specifically I just don't have any and I suppose im not inclined to buy them.
There is a Titanshift deck list running around. I was actually curious how good it is because I have enjoyed playing Titanshift in the past. :)
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

Ed06288

Money pile is the 4 color omnath decks with yorion, you can find decklists on mtg goldfish. And RG Ponza should be respectable without Wrenn and Ragavan but I would limit play to FNM type of stuff. Check out some fringe lists on the mtgo leagues for more deckbuilding ideas.

Anyways, I just wanted to swing by again to reiterate that deck building is overly homogenized and non-intuitive. Pitch elementals, DRC, Monkey, and Urza's Saga are all problematic to me. Wrenn and Six, Omnath and Yorion would come in after those.

Ed06288

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
1 year ago
There is a Titanshift deck list running around. I was actually curious how good it is because I have enjoyed playing Titanshift in the past. :)
They're not bad. Went 2-2 with a Titan breach my last Fnm outing. If the mill player hadn't drawn 3 archive trap I would've been 3-1. And I made some mistakes against control. However, it's not top tier because it doesn't line up well against stuff like mill or amulet, and they don't even beat fair decks as often as they should.

Simto

Post by Simto » 1 year ago

Not sure how it does without Ragavan and Wrenn, but that RG Ponza deck that was popping up a lot about a year or two ago (and sometimes still does) looked really cool to me.

Simto

Sorry for double post, but damn I love Mono-Blue Tron lol. It's such a weird deck in that it kinda at it's core is working against itself for what it's trying to do, but I just love it haha. Brings two things I love about Magic together. Tron and counterspells lol.
Would love to get the last pieces I need to have it in paper. It's not even that expensive other than a chalice I don't have.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4796932#paper

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

that's a sweet looking tron deck. Hmm, but why only one chalice of the void?

the new card Otawara looks like it fits in nicely - gives some additional recursion for the artifacts.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Simto

Yeah, or at least a second in the sideboard so you can fetch it with Karn. I think it's just because the deck is trying to do a lot of things at the same time. It's kinda tron, it's kinda tempo, it's kinda controlly, it's just kinda funky all around hehe.

The N82O Molecule

it turns out there isn't much deck design that doesn't have the shadow of the effects of modern horizons. I suppose im behind the time with this. but it just seems that there SHOULD be a red/green deck that is top tech for the rg synergy. but it gets lost in the power and mana base and boom your naya.

do old decks that won then lose out to the new tech now? I guess we literally watch the progression of deck design in real time but like how does power go away. Kiki is still strong right or maybe its to obv tech and brushed aside idk

anyway sorry I guess this is a rant about rg. here's to hoping Koth of the Hammer was captured and compleated and turned into a Rg token land generator that creates a mirrodin Phyrexian dreadnought

and lastly anyone having any vibes about capenna cards for modern? aside from that 2/1 blue flyer of course (can't think of name off hand)

Simto

I think it's "just" the power creep that outvalues everything pre modern horizons. It does get a bit stale.

As far as I can see on goldfish it's mostly the tri lands people are using. Esper Control has void rend, but that's not a high tier deck. Cool card though. Doesn't look like this set has much impact on Modern other than the blue flyer you mention too.

Edit: There's actually a RG Midrange deck that's 5-0 on Goldfish. Nice mix of old and new cards. Looks like a really fun deck to play.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4822701#paper

The N82O Molecule

Wrenn and Six is such a good card, its cool and powerful. I guess we will see on the reprint. hopefully its a common mythic and not a mythic mythic so a few more hands can get the tech?

maybe this is my time to shine and I should just invent the deck myself (rg). ill start with 12 mountains, 12 forests, 18 lightning bolt, 17 llanowar elves, and 1 overrun. . .lol

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

@The N82O Molecule

let us know when you k.o someone in fnm with overrun. just kidding. lol

but, yeah.. hopefully, Wrenn and Six would be more available with the reprint.

Simto

I think the Wrenn and Six reprint won't do much to the price... high demand, mythic rare, high priced set... I don't think the price will move at all sadly :(

The N82O Molecule

@The Fluff I appreciate that you allow me my sense of humor. . .funny or not. lol

unfortunately I think the best move would be to remove 4 elves and add in 4 wrenn and six lol

we really need hasbro to want us to have the card. . .then we will have the card. but when you say it like that I believe you haha

Ed06288

I just played Gruul Midrange today actually with carlosalmeida's list. Started out 2-0 but then bombed out, losing to amulet titan and hammer time. All the games were very lopsided, I didn't like it. Either blood moon would blow out stuff like urza's saga or you didn't draw blood moon and lose. Wrenn and six connected with Boseiju against the Enchantress player in round 2 further creating more lopsided games.

Simto

Funny with all the power creep that has happened in Modern and then seeing spoilers for that new Baldur's Gate commander set. Holy shiiiiiit those cards are crazy. So many "You get a million treasure tokens and draw some cards too". Wizards really really really like treasure tokens. I'm starting to get a bit worried about whatever comes next for modern lol.
(But at least the art is classic sword&sorcery type stuff unlike the last two standard sets and 40k coming up soon lol....)

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 1 year ago

B gate is super underpoweredin terms of 1 v 1 play, as they should be, asides from the obligatory accidentally broken in Legacy UR delver monster, there is nothing that will see play there.

drmarkb

Ed06288 wrote:
1 year ago
I just played Gruul Midrange today actually with carlosalmeida's list. Started out 2-0 but then bombed out, losing to amulet titan and hammer time. All the games were very lopsided, I didn't like it. Either blood moon would blow out stuff like urza's saga or you didn't draw blood moon and lose. Wrenn and six connected with Boseiju against the Enchantress player in round 2 further creating more lopsided games.
I played enchantress vs an active boseiju loop player in my last event. Because I only run one moon I managed to squeeze in a one of rest in peace main, which saved me from the w6 loop with careful tutoring. That is not why I am posting, it was actually the moon comment that caught my eye, as it implies Moon is essentially a draw or die if you don't card. My experiences of late, with many decks packing moon, is that it is a binary card, it rules or does nothing. Obviously you want it vs Amulet, but I have died vs a few decks with moon in hand of late.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

it's been a while since it was banned. Could there be a chance for a mox opal unban? What do you guys think?

VikingV

Post by VikingV » 1 year ago

I have seen no game play stats that would justify that action

Simto

As much as I love artifact decks, it may just be one of those "too dangerous" cards because of what it can enable. But I wouldn't mind it back.

drmarkb

No, it won't be.
They want to keep printing new artifacts that push the envelope, and that does not tally with Mox Opal.
More simply, the fastest mana they want in the format is one mana t1, into 3 max mana t2, if your opponent does not do something.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”