[Official] State of Modern Thread (B&R 07/13/2020)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
GrAsH wrote:
2 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
I wouldn't be surprised if bauble got a ban, even without Lurrus it's still really good. My options for the 1k I'm playing in this coming weekend are now either play some version of gds with Lurrus, murktide or living end
If Bauble dies, just replace it with Street Wraith in Shadow. Not the same, I know, but it's a free cantrip.
I get what you're saying in regards to this but there's a few different things you can do with both. bauble let's you know a bit of what to play around and can help you know when to fetch. Wraith can also serve as a type of combat trick to grow your shadow(s)

when I play in Living End, the wraith is sometimes useful as another body that can be hard cast, to deal the last points of damage to an opponent who has swamps.

although I'm not sure if Grixis Shadow players reach 5 mana to cast it..
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
GrAsH wrote:
2 years ago

If Bauble dies, just replace it with Street Wraith in Shadow. Not the same, I know, but it's a free cantrip.
I get what you're saying in regards to this but there's a few different things you can do with both. bauble let's you know a bit of what to play around and can help you know when to fetch. Wraith can also serve as a type of combat trick to grow your shadow(s)

when I play in Living End, the wraith is sometimes useful as another body that can be hard cast, to deal the last points of damage to an opponent who has swamps.

although I'm not sure if Grixis Shadow players reach 5 mana to cast it..
in modern shadow lists, most of the time you're cycling it for the life loss/new card. I'd imagine shadow lists will go back to it without Lurrus, I'll be keeping an eye out for lists

Simto

Post by Simto » 2 years ago

Watched two-three matches from the Kamigawa tournament stream and holy %$#%... alchemy and historic are just so boring formats. The way Wizard's streams are built anyway are a massive chore to watch since it's basically just one long commercial with long ass break and commercials constantly.... I hope they have a tournament with modern soon. It's the only way I could sit through spectating a stream because I'd actually be interested in the games :(

motleyslayer

a big modern event/whatever Pro Tours are called now would be great. although that might solve the format more

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Simto wrote:
2 years ago
Watched two-three matches from the Kamigawa tournament stream and holy %$#%... alchemy and historic are just so boring formats. The way Wizard's streams are built anyway are a massive chore to watch since it's basically just one long commercial with long ass break and commercials constantly.... I hope they have a tournament with modern soon. It's the only way I could sit through spectating a stream because I'd actually be interested in the games :(
Yeah, watching the stream live is tough because of the ads. For every two minutes of gameplay you get 3 hours of commercials, or points where talking heads are talking about all the great games that they could be showing instead of the talking heads. As far as formats go, Historic used to be a super cool format that had incredible promise and legitimate archetypes. Then wotc decided it wasn't cool to let players play a format they practically forced Wotc to make because having people make decks out of their old standard cards meant no more cash spent for new wildcards. So then they started adding cards to "help" the format (aka cash in).

That was alright for a while, but the straw that broke my back was when they dumped the badly designed dumpster of alchemy cards into historic. Bye bye historic. Haven't touched it since. Used to be a cool organic and easy to get into format. Now it's full of wacky designs and cash grabs. Lemme just spend 40 rare wildcards for a crappy deck that will be obsolete when we do some rebalancing on the fly. So much fun. The best part that I just now realized about the new alchemy cards is that Wotc can just nerf them and not give out wildcards because you still have the card, even if its now crap.

Lol, never underestimate the greed of those buggers. I remember when suspensions were the go-to way of cheating people out of their money. Times have changed apparently. As if making gazillions wasn't enough. Nickel and dime the player base on every front any way possible is the wotc way.

Alchemy. I don't hate the idea, but the execution is atrocious. 500 wildcards for new cards that are designed to be as obnoxious as possible because it's digital and we can do whatever we want, hooray! The only way I'm playing arena from now on is brawl, or Pioneer. Everything else is just Wotc running the ship into the ground.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Simto

What about the SCG Tour? I saw Star City Games cons are being held again. Do they still stream the tournaments? I liked watching them if it was modern or something like that. I thought that team format with 3 vs 3 was pretty cool where every player was playing a different format. It was pretty cool to watch because of the variety. Their streams had commercials too, but they didn't feel in your face. In between rounds there would just be a countdown and some commercials, maybe a pre recorded deck tech.
Wizards' official streams... I just can't stand watching them really... I know this is a "you problem", but I'm really not fond of most of the usual commentator crew they have. It's like this little "golden circle" of people they use all the time and I just find them incredibly annoying almost all the time. Yes I'm old and bitter and yes I stopped watching it because it annoyed me. I just have no life and would love to fill the void with some tournament streams I like.

And yeah, Historic to me was just like a boring and unnecesary version of Pioneer. Pioneer makes sense to me, but Historic was just too much of the same, and then the random card injections made me 100% lose interest in it. I really like pioneer as an idea and I wish it would kind take off more, but every time I try to get into it or look up decks or what I'd need to make a fun deck, I just go "this is kinda like a boring version of Modern... why not just play modern instead?"
I would play pioneer on arena if they just implemented those cards instead of historic + random card injections. They could still use the old cards from standard AND people could buy wildcards to get all the old set cards. And they would have a better format that makes sense and not muddy it all up.

And yes of course a company exists to make money, I'm not dumb (I'm just an idiot) It's just, the integrity is kinda lost when it just feels like the creators of the game only care about profits and income. The way these tournament streams are set up it just feels 100% like one long commercial and I don't like it.

Sorry for ranting..... I edited all the mad ramblings out. I have no life and I'm annoyed all the time... sorry.

motleyslayer

went to a modern 1k on Saturday, played a different deck each round. I played murktide

r1 beat infect, r2 lost to amulet, r3 beat enchantress, r4 lost to GDS, r5 lost to elves, r6 beat e tron

I think I like the format post Lurrus ban

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 2 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
2 years ago
went to a modern 1k on Saturday, played a different deck each round. I played murktide

r1 beat infect, r2 lost to amulet, r3 beat enchantress, r4 lost to GDS, r5 lost to elves, r6 beat e tron

I think I like the format post Lurrus ban
I've been at two $1Ks since the ban and I agree that the format is better.

Part of me wants to be negative. I see the fun decks like Crack the Earth that I can't play optimally without Lurrus, but the issue is that people will just eventually flock to the best Lurrus deck and that homogenizes things. Grixis Death's Shadow with Lurrus was a bit above most anything else.

*I like your deck choice. IMO, the best deck right now. It's odd that you lost to Amulet and Elves. Those are and seem (in order) to be good matchups. And you beat E Tron, which should be a poor matchup. But with certain draws, anything can happen.

1. Dress Down, a clock, Blood Moon SBed, and 6 damage burn is great vs. Amulet.
2. Burn, a flying clock, and countermagic seems great vs. Elves.
3. Chalice, a clock, and big mana from E Tron seems rough. At least this is from what I've seen; yet to play it myself.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

motleyslayer

the amulet loss was a bit of a weird one and tight play on their end. I had a scalding tarn and spirebluff canal untapped. I knew about a summoner's pact but sacrificed my tarn to fetch and he cast pact in response to avoid the counter. he had cavern in play so no countering titan. I cast blood moon but he had the boseiju, which I should have known about

elves doesn't feel that bad but he had pretty fast starts

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

Just out of curiosity how did the enchantress work out? Did it get to any depth of play or was it overwhelmed by murktide? I've been twiddling around with a build and haven't gotten to play at all. That and with only goldfish to go by its hard-to-find development threads to read about pros and cons.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

really surprised that Lurrus is now banned in modern. Anyone got a link to the wotc announcement?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
really surprised that Lurrus is now banned in modern. Anyone got a link to the wotc announcement?
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... nouncement

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks, simply glad to have not bought any Lurrus.

I guess it goes into too many decks, so it got banned to promote diversity.

GrAsH

Post by GrAsH » 2 years ago

Why is Shadow now playing Damping Sphere instead of Alpine Moon in sideboards? Amulet Titan?

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
thanks, simply glad to have not bought any Lurrus.

I guess it goes into too many decks, so it got banned to promote diversity.
The ban is totally my fault; I got a copy months ago and had just got around to putting it into my BW Zombie deck practically the day before the announcement!

Ed06288

Post by Ed06288 » 2 years ago

Meta is still in a poor place. I'll keep playing G-Tron and Jund at a local level for as long as the decks are reasonably good. But I want to see more diversity in decklists.

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 2 years ago

Personally I have not had much opportunity to play Modern in 22. Legacy 4 events, draft 2, Pioneer 1, sealed 1, canlander 1. The only modern fnm clashed with Legacy, and the REL comp Modern clashed with rugby. Covid and the like has limited opportunities.
I have been working on enchantress- I play the deck in Legacy and Canlander, so it is very easy to slip experience across, even if they play differently. I had brews/fringe decks that were always go to for non REL comp events, but they all had to be completely reworked or junked post pandemic. I only have a couple of vaguely good ones left, and they all got upgraded to the point of being unrecognisable with Solitude, Boseiju, Fury et al. Such is Modern.

Simto

Pro Tours are back on the menu boys! Hope to see some modern games at some point and how it will impact the format.

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 2 years ago

There may not be more than the odd one.
They need Pioneer to work. The plan of killing Legacy and making Modern be the new legacy and Pioneer the new Modern failed, because the Legacy format had sunk to community supported levels only. It is hard to kill a community format, especially a decent one. Modern cannot die as MH sets give a huge excuse to keep it up, but it cannot be allowed to be the default Pro tour format, it is often close to a ban, it is very expensive and thus sends the wrong messages, and fundamentally lots of its players want it to be like Pioneer and full of permanent based interaction, and equally others want it to be like Legacy and super charged with heavy stack interaction.. As a format it can be the most enjoyable but it will always be the most flawed l- with terrible card sekecton and incredible hosers for linear strategies, it will always feel like a format where drawing your board cards decides matches more than other formats.
I expect pro tours to be limited- keep selling those draft boosters- and Pioneer with Modern making rare appearances. Standard might be dying as the go to format, but that does not equate to Modern getting the exposure its huge player base wants.
Pioneer will be the compromise format that gets pushed.

Simto

I like that Pioneer is getting some spotlight though. I really like the idea of the format itself, I'm just always left with the feeling of "I could be playing modern where I have Counterspell... tron lands.... lightning bolt... etc etc etc", so I usually end up never clicking "purchase cards" when I'm looking at pioneer.
I kinda wanted to use pioneer as a format where I could kinda relive my personal standard glory days with cards I like (around Dominaria time playing esper control, temur energy, winding constrictor walking ballista +1/+1 counter deck) I had such a fun time playing magic during that period and have a lot of cards from trying to keep up with standard. So Pioneer just made a lot of sense to me, but again. I'm always stuck with "Why not just play modern instead?"
Modern prices are just insane, but I would much rather put money into those cards as I find the format and card selection more fun. Modern feels like "Magic" to me. I mean it %$#% has counterspell and lightning bolt! You know what I mean??

Ed06288

Post by Ed06288 » 2 years ago

Would like to see a reprint set this summer.

motleyslayer

I'm pretty excited to see where they took competitive paper play. I'm hoping with the 3 pro tours a year, they'll give us one each of pioneer, standard and modern

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 2 years ago

Ed06288 wrote:
2 years ago
Would be nice for the player base. Remember, Wrenn and Six will be reprinted in MH3. The problem is that people can't wait that long, especially since the Lurrus ban and rise of Money Pile from number 3 to number 1.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

Tzoulis

Post by Tzoulis » 2 years ago

Ed06288 wrote:
2 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
2 years ago
Would be nice for the player base. Remember, Wrenn and Six will be reprinted in MH3. The problem is that people can't wait that long, especially since the Lurrus ban and rise of Money Pile from number 3 to number 1.
Double Masters 2 is coming this summer and Wrenn & Six is one of the face cards.

motleyslayer

Wrenn and Six needs a reprint, really bad. Hopefully we get some more modern (legacy too) staples in there

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”