Big Timmy Style: Xenagos, God of Elementary Mathematics

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 10 months ago

pokken wrote:
10 months ago
Moonlighter wrote:
10 months ago
Xenagos leads to some fun lines of play. Just that feeling of "every turn from about 3 on I'm going to threaten to kill at least one player" is pretty cool. And the haste means that sweepers aren't as effective. That said, two from @plushpenguin's masterful list that I've never regretted are Quartzwood Crasher and Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes. Both cards provide immediate return early or late for me. Quartz is an unbelievable threat in its own and I've won games with him even when I was locked out of Xenagos himself.
I've been trying to grok qwc but it feels just kinda weird in a vacuum. Maybe it's better than I'm thinking with extra combat steps? That's a lot of damage with one (something like 48 trampling). It seems
Solid just not quite what I'm wanting. That said the mana cost is so cheap I do dig that.

I'll pick one up and see if I can slot it in. Likely better than some of my random mid grade dudes.
Quartz is kind of a force multiplier. By itself, if it gets through fully, you go from 1 6/6 to 2. Next turn if you can get through to two players you go from 2 to 4 6/6s. The following turn you go to 6 6/6s and a 12/12, etc... However, if you have other tramplers, or a big buff, it can ramp up bigger and faster very easily.

Copying this in Ghired leads to ridiculous board states after 1 swing.

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

I updated the OP here -- the deck has evolved quite a bit over time. It's one of my favorite and most winningest decks, and I really enjoy the patterns it has. It's so different from any of my other decks which tend toward intricate synergies and low mana curves with complex ramp setups.

This deck is big, dumb and mad, and it puts significant pressure on everyone while having just enough interaction to usually buy that turn it needs.

In refining the ethos of the deck, it's basically this:

* This is a combo-control deck that aims to win with a combo of Xenagos + a big creature
* Commit almost nothing to the board, especially very few things that die to Bane of Progress or Hour of Revelation
* Creatures should do the dirty work as much as possible since they benefit from Xenagos
* Rely as little as possible on your board state for things like ramp & card advantage; cards should be good off the top and avoid winmore positions/plays
* avoid "all I need to do is untap with this" situations

--

With that in mind the subsequent evolutions of the deck will be to work things like Bard Class, Wild Growth and Sneak Attack and Aggravated Assault in favor of creature alternatives to those things.

Things like Traverse the Outlands and Chandra's Ignition create significant wins but they also are terrible topdecks and are on the potential cutting list despite being powerful. Cards like Nyxbloom Ancient while explosive are potentially on the cut list because of the "I need to get to untap for this to be good" as well.

Basically, this deck wants to be able to slam xenagos into a fattie at any point and have that be enough to close the game without any support. No need for a big creature to fuel Rishkar's Expertise -- just play Harmonize or Ignite the Future or Reckless Impulse or Wrenn's Resolve.

I'm looking at cards like Ilharg, the Raze-Boar, Karlach, Fury of Avernus and Godo, Bandit Warlord along with Hexplate Wallbreaker and possibly more +1 CA ramp spells like Hunting Wilds or even standalone bomb ramp spells like Boundless Realms or Nissa's Renewal

I'd love anyone's thoughts on standalone cards I'm missing. Stuff like Quartzwood Crasher for example :D

--

Main cards on my probably wanna include list (and sur eI am missing some):

pokken

Post by pokken » 3 weeks ago

Moonlighter wrote:
10 months ago
For me, I run a good deal of protection
You mean stuff like Tamiyo's Safekeeping and such? Do you have a list of cards you run?

It might be that my fog package should be more along this line, because connecting is pretty important.

--

My current cut list (for when my latest order comes in). This deck update will be to move even more toward the higher threat ratio model, with fewer synergistic elements. Xenagos makes things lethal so fast I am no sure I need stuff like extra Aggravated Assault or Sneak Attack. Yes, they are great, but they're not dudes so they make removal better against us.
just a minute about There and Back Again -- this card I have never once wanted to cast. :D it's just so slow.

and a small shill for Invasion of Zendikar // Awakened Skyclave -- I love this card. it's so damn good. I killed an extra person the other day with 8 more damage from the flipped invasion (with an extra combat from Scourge of the Throne).

My intention is to get this deck to the point where the ethos is completely honored:

* no dependence on keeping a permanent that is not a creature on the board to do anything. no real exposure to Hour of Revelation / Farewell.
* cards are good in general good topdecks (Harmonize and Ignite the Future over Rishkar's Expertise ) as much as possible with the requirement for ramping.

So the update is going to
* add more sweepers. man, they are so good! Blasphemous Act into -fattie → ggs.
* add some more standalone card draw (e.g. Caves of Chaos Adventurer
* add some more creature based extra combats (Godo, Bandit Warlord, Karlach, Fury of Avernus, Hexplate Wallbreaker)
* get the count of vicious beaters up of possible (e.g. Quartzwood Crasher and Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes that generate huge amounts of damage for cheap. Conclave Sledge-Captain is another good example of one I might try that also has some incidental synergy.
* update the interaction suite

Cards like Regal Behemoth and Nyxbloom Ancient that require other cards to cast or untapping after casting them to be good are getting cut. They're good sometimes, but too situationally.

Cards like Oakhame Adversary are getting cut because they're too situational and slow. We don't want to draw a card every turn we want to kill everybody :D This is fundamentally not a Phyrexian Arena deck. cards like Doomskar Warrior show more of what we want; dig to a kill condition, fix your mana, potentially beat people to death on their own. Elder Gargaroth is gonna get a long look. It's nice that it blocks well, so might get to stick around because of that.

I'm going to take a good long look at all the things the creatures do and try to get the balance of these major categories right:
* explosive mana (Neheb, the Eternal , Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient , Cavern-Hoard Dragon, Etali, Primal Conqueror // Etali, Primal Sickness, Old Gnawbone, Ancient Copper Dragon
* explosive damage Bloodthirster, Scourge of the Throne Moraug, Fury of Akoum (this category is lacking!)
* card advantage Vorinclex // The Grand Evolution, Ojer Kaslem, Deepest Growth // Temple of Cultivation, Doomskar Warrior, Elder Gargaroth , Etali, Primal Storm
* removal Bane of Progress, Drakuseth, Maw of Flames, Balefire Dragon

I suspect I am overindexing on mana and under on damage. I'm not 100% sure this deck even needs the explosive mana tbh. Gotta think hard on that.

Potential new interaction suite cards updates to mana suite updates to card adv/dig
Beatdown updates

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 2 weeks ago

I'm curious if you've updated the list yet - I'm playing this deck in historic brawl online, operating under the premise you've outlined here. A lot of the real bangers are unfortunately commander cards, but there's still plenty of beef.

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 weeks ago

Chromaticus wrote:
2 weeks ago
I'm curious if you've updated the list yet - I'm playing this deck in historic brawl online, operating under the premise you've outlined here. A lot of the real bangers are unfortunately commander cards, but there's still plenty of beef.
Nice!! I'd love to see that just for reference. Hopefully they get 4-player games on arena at some point, that could be game changing. unless it already is and I'm behind the times :D

I have a big pile of cards ordered from Card Trader Zero (which takes like 6 weeks:D) waiting to come in, so when those come in I'll do a big update.

I am feeling super positive about the direction of the deck; when I play on the principles of:
* drop xenagos early
* drop a big fattie and start accruing advantage
* don't overcommit

I have games consistent games and win a high percentage of them; eventually I'll hit the ability to chain 1-2 extra combat steps and win from there. And if somoene tries to survive by sweepering I can just redeploy and hastedly kill them.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 week ago

I played this tonight and it is making me really yearn for the update lol. It was actually really solid, including a doomskar backing up vorinvlex to dig 16.

But man Ancient Copper Dragon may have failed me for the last time. Two hits for 2 and 1 treasure. Flat out cost me the game. Rolls of half of average would have easily won it.

I really felt the lack of tutors this game where the combination of a vclex activation and digging 16 and double igniting could not find an extra combat step. It was very frustrating.

I definitely think extra steps is the current bottleneck so will focus on that in the retool.

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 1 week ago

Decklist

Commander

Deck

1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Command Tower (ANB) 118
1 Coldsteel Heart (CSP) 136
1 Cultivate (M21) 177
1 Explore (JMP) 393
1 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
1 Mind Stone (WTH) 153
1 Chaos Balor (HBG) 49
1 Worn Powerstone (USG) 318
1 Elvish Mystic (M14) 169
1 Cavern of Souls (LCI) 269
1 Reckless Impulse (VOW) 174
1 Ilysian Caryatid (THB) 174
1 Primeval Titan (M11) 192
1 Abrade (AKR) 136
1 Copperline Gorge (ONE) 249
1 Lotus Cobra (ZNR) 193
1 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
1 Into the North (CSP) 111
1 Utopia Sprawl (WOT) 63
1 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
1 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
1 Wolfwillow Haven (THB) 205
1 Migration Path (IKO) 164
1 Rockfall Vale (MID) 266
1 Strangle (SNC) 125
1 Old Gnawbone (AFR) 197
1 Plaza of Heroes (DMU) 252
1 Circuitous Route (GRN) 125
1 Wrenn's Resolve (MOM) 173
1 Up the Beanstalk (WOE) 195
1 Elder Gargaroth (M21) 179
1 Vorinclex (MOM) 213
1 Lightning Bolt (STA) 42
1 Embercleave (ELD) 120
1 Doomskar Warrior (MOM) 185
1 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
1 Lair of the Hydra (AFR) 259
1 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
1 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
1 Bloodstained Mire (KTK) 230
1 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
1 Windswept Heath (KTK) 248
1 Wooded Foothills (KTK) 249
1 Vastwood Surge (ZNR) 217
1 Ogre Chitterlord (WOE) 319
1 Combat Celebrant (AKR) 148
Approximate Total Cost:

Hopefully this works…

Historic Brawl Beatdown

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 week ago

Chromaticus wrote:
1 week ago
Hopefully this works…

Historic Brawl Beatdown
I imagine it's a necessity of being 1v1 playing the mana dorks, but if you can get a higher count of non-dork ramp and a higher count of sweepers you'l be a little more in line with the theory. I have no damn idea how that works on brawl though.

I think in historic I'd look to play some stuff like Sweltering Suns and Brotherhood's End maybe?

No dang idea what the brawl meta is like though :D

xardas

Post by xardas » 6 days ago

How the f uck has actually nobody here or in the "old" topic talked about Anzrag, the Quake-Mole ?
It is basically the best creature ever printed for Xenagos. It is an basically a 4 Mana unblockable 16 damage. With Xenagos buff he is beafy enough to attack into someone who would be foolish to block. If you ever get to activate this ability it is more or less an entire boardwhipe on the opponents side and 1 person is gonna die.

pokken

Post by pokken » 6 days ago

xardas wrote:
6 days ago
How the f uck has actually nobody here or in the "old" topic talked about Anzrag, the Quake-Mole ?
It is basically the best creature ever printed for Xenagos. It is an basically a 4 Mana unblockable 16 damage. With Xenagos buff he is beafy enough to attack into someone who would be foolish to block. If you ever get to activate this ability it is more or less an entire boardwhipe on the opponents side and 1 person is gonna die.
I have him on my watchlist but the reason I don't play him is because it violates the ethos of being good on his own. Not having evasion means alone he represents two chump blocks required which is almost inconsequential against many decks. Or he blasts for 16 and that's it.

If you look at my creature set they're kind of heavily clustered around 5-6 cmc with lower cmc guys being dudes who generate some card advantage mostly. The creatures who do just beatdowns are few and far between and they're more like Bloodthirster who automatically yeets one or two players and Scourge of the Throne who generates 11, then 23 damage (more or less).

I am still considering it but it has some glaring issues primarily not having trample. Compared to godo and embercleave for example is a significant downgrade (godo hits for 16 then 32 tramples).

Anyway I do appreciate the callout as it's a strong card worth considering. Just doesn't quuiiiite get there for me.

---

Below is some analysis/grouping of my current creature suite that I will hopefully use for rebuilding the deck when my next order of retrofits gets in:

Early Game CA, 4 or less The idea of these guys was to provide some early game card advantage that could bridge to Xenagos. Tireless Tracker has a little synergy with the ramp suite, but by and large has been trash. Oakhame Adversary has had a really weird run where I literally never have a forest opponent and it generally has drawn one or two cards if it actually gets cast for 4 mana, which it does not.

Doomskar Warrior is a recent addition and has been absolutely amazing both as backup for other creatures and as card draw itself. Being able to cast it on 4 mana, miss land drop 5, and have it chain you into xenagos mana is just :chefskiss:. Cards that dig you out of a jam are really, really good in Commander, and this one is glorious.

I will cut adversary and tracker, likely for more draw spells or creatures that straight up draw for <5 mana.

Make Cards (and maybe Mana) These effects tend to make both cards and mana because they're post-Xenagos so they need to be strong. Of them, Ojer Kaslem, Deepest Growth // Temple of Cultivation and Vorinclex // The Grand Evolution have been the best overall, with Gargaroth being the weakest and both Etalis being somewhat hit or miss.
Little Etali is a slowish card advantage/mana engine that people tend to freak out on, and is not really explosive enough since the top of my deck tends to suck. The top 3-4 of my deck is great, but the top 1 is trash because it's so heavily ramp spells.

Big Etali is...*fine* but as I said the first spell off the top of my deck is often iffy and other people tend to be playing synergistic crap that doesn't do me any good. I don't think Big Etali does enough for 7 mana.

If I could replace both of these with Vorinclex // The Grand Evolution and Ojer Kaslem, Deepest Growth // Temple of Cultivation type cards, I would, so I need to think and see if I can find more of those at 5-6 mana -- tutors may be another option.

Tooth and Nail would grossly overperform Big Etali in my experience.

One very small thing Elder Gargaroth brings is Vigilance, which has some utility in various extra combat step effects (e.g. Seize the Day) and being a good blocker is a reason it likely sticks around.

Make Mana As a general line of thinking, the creatures who just make mana are somewhat violations of the ethos of the deck in that they require you to have other good cards in hand. Many of these are likely to get cut because of this. These cards tend to create winmore scenarios where I Genesis Wave for 40, but a simple extra combat step spell would have gotten it done for less mana. These guys combo with Aggravated Assault a lot, which is fine, but I don't like that card since it violates the ethos of the deck and again is often winmore.

Of these cards, Old Gnawbone and Neheb, the Eternal have been the strongest; Gnawbone has explosive synergy and consistently makes 14 treasures or more, Neheb almost always makes ~10 mana. Being red is limiting, but he also is very cheap mana wise and generates some mana with afflict even if blocked.

The beauty of both of those creatures is that they are synergistic with other creatures.

Ancient Copper Dragon has been mediocre; but part of that is my horrible dice luck! my last 5 rolls with it are 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6. The main reason it is likely to stay is costing 6 mana, which brings us to...

Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient is small, and costs 7. Not having Trample exposes him to some issues that copper / gnawbone have, The main thing I like about Klauth is he has Haste, so you can use him to recast Xenagos without taking a turn off a lot of the time. But I am not sure that is worth mana. So likely getting cut.

Between Nyxbloom Ancient and Regal Behemoth both of these cards have created massive Ws but they have also rotted in my hand. Of them, Regal Behemoth is significanlty stronger because of the monarch card draw being useful. Often nobody wants to take monarch from me because they're more concerned with staying alive and being the monarch is a good way to get dead (since I want to take it back:D).

Likely both mana doubler guys will get cut for more efficient beats.

YEET The Yeet section is interesting, I don't have that many pure beasters, and it's prety much dudes who make extra combat steps. Moraug is one where you can play him, cast a ramp spell, and then immediately murder the board (e.g. Skyshroud Claim or whatever means potentially 3 extra combat steps, He's not amazingly mana efficient since generating explosive combats with him requires more mana in reserve, but man he can go nuts.

His main use is to hit off a Genesis Wave (and maybe in the future Tooth and Nail with something that can hit lands like Cultivator Colossus or Primeval Herald).

Bloodthirster is an absolute murderer. it blasts smeone for 12, someone for 24, and someone for 48 on its own, and has trample.

Scourge of the Throne is a slightly worse Bloodthirster, blasting for 11 then 23 (with dethrone), but has synergy with your other creatures often presenting a lethal. Again a good Tooth and Nail target potentially. Mana efficient as well at 6.

Overall I am looking to add to this suite the most, probably cards like Quartzwood Crasher and Godo, Bandit Warlord and possibly Hexplate Wallbreaker (which is the least efficient extra turn bro, but has synergy of being able to be summoned by Godo, bringing its own body that beats for 8/16, etc., and surviving creature wipes.

Interact Dualcaster Mage is a bit of an odd duck in this slot since it doesn't really ever attack but man it is a counterspell and that's beautiful. IT does a LOT of things in this deck, because our sorcery/instant count is quite high. I may also add some extra combat step spells that are copyable (Savage Beating has very unfortunate text, but World at War and Seize the Day have somewhat more favorable text.

Bane of Progress has been substantially worse than I expected in this deck; the deck is somewhat built around being able to not care about it, but sometimes it gets me and not having trample has been a huge problem. I am likely to keep it around as I Think it gets better if I add a tutor or three.

Balefire Dragon has been pretty good. Costing 7 is unfortunate, but when it's good it's real good. That said, much of the time it would be better to just blast the entire board to death than sweep...but there are times where it's better to leave someone alive and creatureless. The unfortunate thing about Balefire is it doesn't have trample and needs to deal combat damage. So the likelihood is this is getting cut.

Drakuseth, Maw of Flames on the flipside, triggers on attack and clears the way for itself, so is very likely to stay, since it can also blast people in the face to help shorten clocks. Its mana cost is not amazing, so could definitely get cut.

In general I think Crater Hellion might be a better choice--the card was good when I had it, just occasionally I made bad decisions with it :D

--

So as above you can see the main gaps are that I make too much mana and don't draw quite enough cards and don't beat quite enough. Update will focus on that.

Also as far as topdeck draw effects I may try adding Tooth and Nail since that's apparently socially acceptable to play in my meta now :D If anyone can think of any other effects akin to T&N that both get cards and put them into play I'd be interested. The World Spell seems like a potentially pretty cool option.

I'm also thinking hard about stuff like Caves of Chaos Adventurer that fix bad draws at <5 mana.. Likely for the Tireless Tracker slot.

--

complete side note I wanted to write down before anyone else plays There and Back Again that card is trash. I have never once wanted to cast it. absolute slow as hell garbage that conflicts with Xenagos, God of Revels mana. puts the T in Trash.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 5 days ago

pokken wrote:
6 days ago
xardas wrote:
6 days ago
I have him on my watchlist but the reason I don't play him is because it violates the ethos of being good on his own. Not having evasion means alone he represents two chump blocks required which is almost inconsequential against many decks. Or he blasts for 16 and that's it.
I believe the first ability continues to trigger until he is unblocked, not just once a turn. They have to throw 8 toughness in front of him to kill him during a single combat step or he just gets bigger. If you have the mana to activate his second ability and you have a single opponents with mostly utility creatures that can't kill him during a combat, then you can basically plague wind the board by getting him chumped a couple of times so he's a lethal threat with enough toughness that he can eat everyone's board. Then, once all the creatures are dead you kill someone with him. Not sure if that's good enough still but your response was only considering the first trigger as only once a turn.

I've just be skimming for my own amusement. This deck has some light overlap with my Gishath, Sun's Avatar deck (which runs a bunch of damage doublers including Xenagos, God of Revels) and tries to play minimal things into Planar Cleansing effects. Had a couple of thoughts.

Finale of Devastation if you can hit 12 mana will basically murder someone. Say you hit Bloodthirster it'll hit one person for 32, the next 64 and the final 128. My preferred target to kill everyone is Gisela, Blade of Goldnight but that's not really an options for you.

Rampaging Brontodon has a floor of a 7/7 trampler that attacks as a 14/14 trampler which could get doubled to a 28/28 trampler. Not sure if that's big enough or not. It also pumps itself every combat if you have ways to get more triggers.

pokken

Post by pokken » 5 days ago

materpillar wrote:
5 days ago
I believe the first ability continues to trigger until he is unblocked, not just once a turn. They have to throw 8 toughness in front of him to kill him during a single combat step or he just gets bigger. If you have the mana to activate his second ability and you have a single opponents with mostly utility creatures that can't kill him during a combat, then you can basically plague wind the board by getting him chumped a couple of times so he's a lethal threat with enough toughness that he can eat everyone's board. Then, once all the creatures are dead you kill someone with him. Not sure if that's good enough still but your response was only considering the first trigger as only once a turn.
That's a good point, I saw "this combat" not "each combat," So as long as he doesn't die from built up damage (which Xenagos' doubling should prevent) he would largely infinite the table and then kill the last person, which is kinda cool!

I might have to pick one up and give it a go. good looking out @xardas
materpillar wrote:
5 days ago
Finale of Devastation if you can hit 12 mana will basically murder someone. Say you hit Bloodthirster it'll hit one person for 32, the next 64 and the final 128. My preferred target to kill everyone is Gisela, Blade of Goldnight but that's not really an options for you.

Rampaging Brontodon has a floor of a 7/7 trampler that attacks as a 14/14 trampler which could get doubled to a 28/28 trampler. Not sure if that's big enough or not. It also pumps itself every combat if you have ways to get more triggers.
Some really good thoughts; yeah I think I might have to chuck Finale in there. That, Invasion of Ikoria // Zilortha, Apex of Ikoria and Tooth and Nail should do it for one card blastings.

A nice thing about Finale is because Xenagos grants haste, it also has a pretty solid fail-mode of "get Ojer Kaslem, Deepest Growth // Temple of Cultivation and dig 12" or whatever.

Rampaging Brontodon I think has a floor as 21/21 roughly, right? Since it'd double to 14 then swing and get +7 for 21? Assuming I cast it off lands. I think it's *good* but probably not quite there for what I'm looking for. Definitely worth having on the backburner though.

A similar card on my maybe list that is quite similar is Conclave Sledge-Captain; it can buff other things creating a massive lethal board, or can itself swing as a 14/14 that stays a 21/21 after combat...or it can be a tooth and nail trget with Bloodthirster that makes it become a 9/9 that becomes a 36/36 after the first connect, then starts zapping people.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 5 days ago

pokken wrote:
5 days ago

Rampaging Brontodon I think has a floor as 21/21 roughly, right? Since it'd double to 14 then swing and get +7 for 21? Assuming I cast it off lands. I think it's *good* but probably not quite there for what I'm looking for. Definitely worth having on the backburner though.
Ah, you're right. I was thinking you could stack the triggers the other way. I haven't resolved Xenagos, God of Revels in a while.

Boros_Blendo

Post by Boros_Blendo » 5 days ago

Xenagos + Malignus + OG Nylea + Defense of the Heart = alpha strike from hell. You have Xenagos, so search the other two. I used that recently, hit a friend for 44 trample. Next turn hit the next friend for 37, and then the following turn the next friend for 56. Stupid levels of stoopid. :grin:

Saving the enemy with the highest life to last pretty much ensures Malignus never runs out of 1-hit kills, and Nylea cares nothing for board wipes and makes every other critter Xenagos pumps a beatdown over creatures that chump block.

pokken

Boros_Blendo wrote:
5 days ago
Xenagos + Malignus + OG Nylea + Defense of the Heart = alpha strike from hell. You have Xenagos, so search the other two. I used that recently, hit a friend for 44 trample. Next turn hit the next friend for 37, and then the following turn the next friend for 56. Stupid levels of stoopid. :grin:
Cool stuff buuuuuut violates deck ethos pretty hard Defense of the Heart is the "I play this then need to untap with it to win" effect we are trying to avoid as much as possible (which is some of the issue with Anzrag, the Quake-Mole and Quartzwood Crasher).

I did have Defense of the Heart in an early build of the deck and it literally never survived to me untapping :D

quick refresher on where we're going just for reminding myself as I rebuild next week (YAY, cards shipped!):

* We have good topdecks - cards don't need other cards to be threatening (e.g. no Rishkar's Expertise stuff)
* We don't need to untap with anything except Xenagos, God of Revels (no Sylvan Library)

Cards like Malignus that need a trample enabler from elsewhere are flat out, and cards that give trample to other things are also out! :D Cards that need to untap like Defense of the Heart also out.
Last edited by pokken 5 days ago, edited 1 time in total.

Boros_Blendo

Post by Boros_Blendo » 5 days ago

Fair, but that just means your group is more competitive than mine.
Last edited by Boros_Blendo 5 days ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken

Boros_Blendo wrote:
5 days ago
Yeah I think more than most. But in general I think commander's "at large meta" is becoming more removal heavy over time - my experience with pickup games is a decent amount of targeted removal.

That said, part of this deck is more of a thought experiment in deck design--in a lot of ways my build is slower than a typical Xenagos build because of the ramp/draw profile. If you can't draw 30 cards with Return of the Wildspeaker you definitely will win fewer games out of nowhere. But my approach also doesn't get blown out castin gReturn of the Wildspeaker and having someone kill your big creature.

:shrug:

xardas

Post by xardas » 8 hours ago

So many things that need to be addressed because some statements are quite frankly very questionable and not to be copied.

First of all.
hat's a good point, I saw "this combat" not "each combat," So as long as he doesn't die from built up damage (which Xenagos' doubling should prevent) he would largely infinite the table and then kill the last person, which is kinda cool!

Did you even read my post? What did you think I meant by "boardwipe".2 chumpblocks?!?!?
Reading the card explains the card and if you arent on a giga penny budget list there is no reasonable argument against him.
Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient is small, and costs 7. Not having Trample exposes him to some issues that copper / gnawbone have, The main thing I like about Klauth is he has Haste, so you can use him to recast Xenagos without taking a turn off a lot of the time. But I am not sure that is worth mana. So likely getting cut.
Anyone who has the card, DO NUT cut him, this is nonsense talk. He pays for himself on attack trigger and is one of the best wincons you have channing game winning spells. Even considering cutting him is kinda insane, if anything a result of "midrangefying" your list.
Between Nyxbloom Ancient and Regal Behemoth both of these cards have created massive Ws but they have also rotted in my hand. Of them, Regal Behemoth is significanlty stronger because of the monarch card draw being useful. Often nobody wants to take monarch from me because they're more concerned with staying alive and being the monarch is a good way to get dead (since I want to take it back:D).
The Ancient isnt even playble compared to the standards of avaible creatures and creature tutors. Even if someone would to avoid tutor, on 7 mana he does nothing then to hit for 10 and then die to EVERYTHING.
Btw bless your playgroup, I wish my people would play so badly against me. You HAVE to be kidding us and yourself if you seriously suggest the plan is that people let you have monarch vs the deck 10000% capable of going way overboard any blocking options. You really gonna sell me they arent all gonna grab the monarch to get 3 cards total more in their grips to stop you?! Anyone reading this: DO NOT play Regal Behemoth. or Nyxbloom Ancient.

Your creature suit in general seems simply to clunky with very obvious cards like Dragonborn Champion missing
Cool stuff buuuuuut violates deck ethos pretty hard Defense of the Heart is the "I play this then need to untap with it to win" effect we are trying to avoid as much as possible (which is some of the issue with Anzrag, the Quake-Mole and Quartzwood Crasher).
How exactly are these the same as Defense of the Heart? Did you for a second forgot Xenagos gives haste or what? Neither of them need an untap, they simply want the commander on field AND Quartzwood is literally just a "traumple" lord, if you have any trampler out and he hits the field you could generate a token. ALSO the Crasher is one of the besser extra combat step abusers, since you can pump the bigger token on the second combat. Crasher is literally creating you a bigger boardstate that does NOT furhter raise devotion even. What the hell are you talking in that comparison?!
I think we have proven that not to be the case with a look at his Regal Behemoth take :thinking:

quick refresher on where we're going just for reminding myself as I rebuild next week (YAY, cards shipped!):

* We have good topdecks - cards don't need other cards to be threatening (e.g. no Rishkar's Expertise stuff)
* We don't need to untap with anything except Xenagos, God of Revels (no Sylvan Library)

Cards like Malignus that need a trample enabler from elsewhere are flat out, and cards that give trample to other things are also out! :D Cards that need to untap like Defense of the Heart also out.
See, I am gonna level here with you. I get a more consistent approach. There is no need for Riskhars expertise type of effects necessarioly and going 1 turn slower with land ramp instead of dorky ramp is fine aswell. You might want do remain a Xenagos Deck tho?! Cecause if you keep your trains of thought, we end up at a place where we can just shut this down and play big Etali as commander for a gruul midrange/value pile.

You are strangling yourself with nonsense extremes. Sylvan Library for example--> it is way to good to skip if you can afford it just for some arbitary stance, ESPECIALY when you ommit the riskier options. You literally BEFORE you posted that statment summed up your idea of problem as
So as above you can see the main gaps are that I make too much mana and don't draw quite enough cards and don't beat quite enough. Update will focus on that.
You cannot make that up. But still stuck playing cards like Harmonize, which are about unplayble underpowered at precon level for about 4-5 years now. Cmon mate, you have to think those things through. Btw, just as a sidenode, Expertise does not target, so it is actually quite better in a "fairer" xenagos build with more often 2-3 creatures on board then it is in a more all in version. You still draw cards for the biggest remaining thing.
Also how is Bard class okay and slyvan is not? :D

Or ideas like Genesis Wave, with has basically zero place here. It is a weird mix or complety win more (often a simple drawspell or extra combat step taking out the strongest player does the trick aswell if you are on big mana generation) and win less at the same time, because you just get your board wrathed afterwards and did NOT simply kill the biggest issue or put u in a perfect setup. Which you could have with a less useless spell in your hand then Genesis Wave.

Also, if you truly want this tad slower xenagos with more consitency,, then you need to invest some more slots for actual interaction. Where more aggresive builds might have their 1 mana protection spells like Tamiyos Safekeeping etc--> here do you need effecient answer. Abrade,, Nature's claim, heck even Lightning Bolt maybe. I know you are under the impression your playgroup is "higher powerlevel", but in what world is
Jaheira's Respite
a playble card in "higher powered" enviroment?! I can attest you we in our groups are miles away from Cedh and you would get grilled with your build. You need to actual level the "upside" on stuff like skyhroud claim, Nature's Lore and co. Get you some untapped lands to ramp and interact. But you lack the interaction. You cannot have like your 7 drop dragons to do some of the removal work AND come with Call Forth the Tempes around, just to basically have no real early interaction. This does not need to be penguins style of real balls to the walls xenagos (especially stuff like Goddo and tutors for him become insanely boring very fast), but you need to grip the reality of your own idea.

Your creature curve is clunky, you have to few carddraw and interaction to facility a "quality based" playstyle around consitent effects and the biggest problem is, that you dont recognize how attrocius some of the options are you keep bringing up as if they were not obvious cuts. Your idea on how Regal Behemoth plays out is straight up absurd ot you play vs human bots, ngl.

I know I am harsh, but you are plenty convinced by your ideas and alot of them are all over the place. Imho you need a reality check.

pokken

Post by pokken » 8 hours ago

xardas wrote:
8 hours ago
Also how is Bard class okay and slyvan is not? :D
Just cherrypicking this one thing that shows you didn't read the thread -- Bard Class is on the cut list along with all the permanents that need to stick around.
xardas wrote:
8 hours ago
I think we have proven that not to be the case with a look at his Regal Behemoth take
xardas wrote:
8 hours ago
I know I am harsh, but you are plenty convinced by your ideas and alot of them are all over the place. Imho you need a reality check.
xardas wrote:
8 hours ago
but you need to grip the reality of your own ideas
Ok so three snips --

1) Your attitude is really not chill, settle down. It's ok for people to be wrong on the internet.

2) The reason stuff like Regal Behemoth tends to run games is that the majority of people I play with don't build very strong decks and mostly don't play that well. So the "ethos" of this deck is to play a lot of bad, different cards, with significant budget limitations.

The "ethos" of this deck, is my set of ideas on how to make the deck worse (but also with some different play patterns that have some consistency improvements). The deck has very little interaction and a lot of gaping holes and doesn't play great lands or fast mana...on purpose.

3) If were to say, read the rest of the thread, you would see that I've got early interaction updates on the menu - I do agree it's a little light. But there's a bit more than you likely think.
xardas wrote:
8 hours ago
I can attest you we are miles away from Cedh and you would get grilled with your build.

It seems how ignorant I am about deck construction has upset you so I don't know how to put your heart at ease but you can rest easy, I don't think my $350 budget xenagos that plays Arachnogenesis and There and Back Again is winning any CEDH tournaments.

maybe once I get CEDH powerhouse Hexplate Wallbreaker in there I'll start winning.
xardas wrote:
8 hours ago
But still stuck playing cards like Harmonize, which are about unplayble underpowered at precon level for about 4-5 years now
I can take all your general abuse but I can't tolerate people badmouthing Harmonize, so you're banned from my thread until you apologize. :madhot:
Last edited by pokken 2 hours ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken

Post by pokken » 8 hours ago

I think this specific topic deserves a second reply just for posterity

re: Anzrag, the Quake-Mole and Quartzwood Crasher
xardas wrote:
8 hours ago
How exactly are these the same as Defense of the Heart?
They don't win the game until you get to untap, because...
Quartzwood Crasher requires you to get to untap with the dinosaur to yeet people. You made a 12/12 and need to wait a turn. yay! Even then you don't automatically win.

Anzrag, the Quake-Mole is not going to win on the first attack, it's going to yeet someone for 16. Then when you get to untap and you can activate the ability, it goes off. Unless you have 11 mana when he drops, in which case, yay!

Defense of the Heart has a similar play pattern in that if you untap with it you get two creatures that instantly win the game (something like Bloodthirster and Moraug, Fury of Akoum even in my deck).

Unlike say, Bloodthirster or Old Gnawbone these cards are not going to win you the game *right now* most of the time.

note: You did sell me on Anzrag, the Quake-Mole for the record, I like the card, but you can't deny the play pattern is "play, need to untap to win" most of the time.

xardas wrote:
8 hours ago
Your creature suit in general seems simply to clunky with very obvious cards like Dragonborn Champion missing
This card is like $10 and I don't own one :D sorry. That said, some analysis...

Dragonborn Champion massively underperforms Escape to the Wilds Harmonize or Ignite the Future if you're trying to win the game from behind vs. trying to winmore with a big field. If you're attacking with enough dudes to draw a bunch of cards off it, you're winning. Topdecking a dude who beats for 10 and draws 1 card is just OK.

My draw suite in the 4-5 mana range of creatures consist of Ojer Kaslem, Deepest Growth // Temple of Cultivation, Vorinclex // The Grand Evolution, Doomskar Warrior and Elder Gargaroth all of which are cards I would play before Dragonborn Champion for a variety of reasons relating to topdeck quality and defensive utility.

If you haven't tried Doomskar Warrior I would highly recommend it. Digging 10 is a lot better than 1 off the top, and you can also go absolutely bananas with backup sometimes.

I won't pretend that Dragonborn Champion is a bad card and much like running tall draw effects it's probably a near "optimal" card for a high powered xenagos. It's just not really my cuppa.

Bottom line is it isn't worth $10 to me

pokken

Post by pokken » 5 hours ago

All my cards came in so I managed to get an update made to the OP!

The "add" list -

Interaction Suite I like WMS being any target, and DBF is very flexible. Trickery is more stack in interaction but I can also yolo to hit my own stuff if I need to. Tyvar's Stand has some serious utility in the form of just killing someone sometimes. Downside of not protecting xenagos unless he's a dude might mean this gets swapped out.

I like Yao Guai more than Bane of Progress because of the keywords and the ability to pump it myself, and also to just blast everyone's treasures for x=0 if I need to. Generally I think it's a questionable add but I wanna try it out. I like how it scales late in the game better than Bane (who doesn't have tromple).

Ramp Herald was a major oversight as it does a lot of work in this deck; it ramps to 5 on 4, it has synergy after xenagos.

Jeska's and dockside I just had spares of and decided to throw them in and amp the power level up just a scoche.

Yeet squad Godo is tried and true and I like Hexplate Wallbreaker as a decent but not amazing pull in case I draw Embercleave.

World at War is one of those "I dare ya" cards but I think it has marginally more upside than the 4 mana extra combat step effects, in that

Tooth and Nail and Finale of Devastation are duh cards that mostly win the game, and amp the power level up a bit. I may wind up dialing these cards back at some point.

And finally Karlach, Fury of Avernus is a really interesting sorcery speed combat step card who has pretty good utility on her own.

Going to try Conclave Sledge-Captain; this guy has a floor of a 14/14 who becomes a 21/21 thereafter, which is...fairly good floor. The ceiling of giving 3 other dudes trample and the power doubling effect is pretty gross with an extra combat step. Fundamentally this might be weaker than Quartzwood Crasher but it's a little less situational given the number of guys I have who do not have trample.

This gives a pretty cool T&N combo of Godo, Bandit Warlord or Karlach, Fury of Avernus, wherein Karlach hits for 16, then 96 or something (and Godo hits for, uhh...
he's a 14/14 with doublestrike, who hits for 14 in first strike damage and then 56 (+42) normal damage, then becomes a 224/224, who becomes a 448/448 in the second combat step, absolutely obliterating someone.

@xardas will be glad to know that I cut Genesis Wave in this as well, as with all the permanents I cut it got significantly worse.

Card advantage/velocity This is a fairly modest set of upgrades, but I really like Wrenn's Resolve. It tends to act like Ponder as an early game play that helps you hit a land drop (at least, Reckless Impulse has done that). But it's also pretty good mid-late game for filling in the curve.

Valakut Awakening // Valakut Stoneforge gets me the one extra land I wanted in this deck at a relatively modest cost

Caves of Chaos Adventurer seems just kinda fun. The first Undercity room being to fetch a basic land is useful for bridging to Xenagos. Its attack trigger is...medium, and has some sequencing problems, but it could on occasion work out. Especially later in the game when you have more mana. Completing a dungeon is probably a crapshoot, given no other support,

In any case it has a pretty significant body for 4 mana and guarantees a land drop; probably fairly worse than Dragonborn Champion though to be fair :D

As a general side note, I think that one of the things I dislike about Dragonborn Champion is being a 4 drop that does not help you get to Xenagos. my 4 cmc creature suite consists of only creatures that can help you get to Xenagos mana from 4 -- Caves of Chaos Adventurer, Doomskar Warrior and Primeval Herald. DB champion *kiiiinda* does that but draw one is not really that good for finding a land, just OK (being /3 makes it really a risk of being unable to attack safely).

--

I also made a couple minor manabase tweaks, adding Raging Ravine and Grove of the Burnwillows for Terrain Generator and Forest.

Raging Ravine is in an interesting spot where post-sweeper you can surprise gak someone for 7, which is a low cost of admission really. Yeah it's another tapland, but I think it's fun.

--

In summary I think maybe I'm going too far but we'll see; deck was often a little too explosive before (primarily with Aggravated Assault, Traverse the Outlands and Sneak Attack causing some crazy fast games) and so I cut some of that, but added a lot of consistency.

There's definitely quite a lot of fat left to trim and I could doing some manabase tuning at some point. Cutting some taplands, maybe adding some fetches.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”