New Cycle of Quad-Color Commanders

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 11 months ago

I think enough time has elapsed and we need a few new Nephilim-colored commanders.

Witch-Maw and Ink-Treader already have an additional (and awesome) Atraxa and Omnath to play with, so why not a new batch, some a bit narrower, some a bit a wider:

Non-red - (Witch-Maw):

Lyryk, the Singing Wall
{W}{U}{B}{G}
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Wall (M)
Defender
As long as Lyryk, the Singing Wall is on the battlefield or in your graveyard, each creature you control assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power, and if it has defender it can attack as though it didn't have defender.
Tap three untapped creatures you control with defender: Draw a card. Each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
0/7
Its murals spring forth in defense of the city.

The two Atraxa are pretty much awesome on their own, so I went with a much more specialized route. Arcades, the Strategist is the Wall/defender matters commander, but it always disappointed me that A) he wasn't a wall himself B) his color identity excludes all of black "toughness matters," as exemplified by Doran, the Siege Tower and more recently Ancient Lumberknot. This should scratch that little itch, and finally allow Doran to play with the Walls.

Originally had eminence, now functions from the graveyard instead of command zone.

EDIT: Forgot to delete eminence ability word.

Non-white - (Glint-Eye):

Vi and Til, Strangler Fig Twins
{U}{R}{B}{G}
Legendary Creature - Plant Devil Dragon (M)
Flying
Whenever a permanent you control transforms or a permanent enters the battlefield under your control transformed, create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.
Whenever a double-faced card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
4/3

Didn't want to go the whole Jund route of sacrificing everything, nor did I want Sultai graveyard-matters, but I also didn't want to exclude those strategies.

Decided to go with "transform matters" with this. The bulk of the transforming cards are in these colors, including most importantly the various Werewolves and the March of the Machine DFCs. Note that second ability also works with the modal (and non-transforming) double-faced cards (MDFCs).

Cares only about a narrow subset of cards, but hopefully accommodates to many strategies.

Non-blue - (Dune-Brood):

Gorna, of the Wild Hunt
{W}{B}{R}{G}
Legendary Creature - Vampire Dinosaur (M)
Vigilance, trample
Hellbent - At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have no cards in your hand, Gorna, of the Wild Hunt deals 2 damage to any target and you gain 2 life.
Whenever a player discards a card, put a +1/+1 counter on Gorna. You gain 1 life.
4/4

Admitted, the lifegain was shoehorned in to justify the white aspect. Anyway, discard matters; red and black have plenty of straight-up discard and madness to spare. Green and white support is a bit less obvious, titled towards cycling/landcycling. White had a bit of a "cycling-matters" thing going on, so I thought might work.

(Also, color-identity excludes Hullbreacher effects! Yay!)

This might actually be the strongest of the cycle, might need nerfing.

Non-black - (Ink-Treader):

Jyenka, the Shining Realmstar
{W}{U}{R}{G}
Legendary Creature - Kirin (M)
Untap all creatures you control during each other player's untap step.
Whenever an opponent casts their second spell each turn, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card whose mana value is less than that spell's mana value, but is greater than 0. You may cast that card without paying its mana cost. If you don't, put it into your hand. Then put the rest of the cards exiled this way on the bottom of your library in a random order.
2/5

Ink-Treader always throws me me for a loop, because both its name and art makes me think of the nonwhite Nephilim. Instead, it's the nonblack one.

Anyway, instead of traditional pillowfort/group hug, I decided on something that would piggy-back off of other player actions. It doesn't give out hugs, but it sure likes receiving them.

Non-green (Yore-Tiller):

Gwordur, the Forgotten King
{W}{U}{B}{R}
Legendary Creature - Spirit Noble (M)
Flying, prowess
When Gwordur, the Forgotten King enters the battlefield or attacks, exile target noncreature card from your graveyard.
You may play cards exiled by Gwordur.
If an ability of a noncreature permanent you control triggers, it triggers an additional time.
3/4

Ah, the nongreen one! I really didn't want another artifacts-matter, so I decided to expand it into noncreature spells.

This would have probably been the prowess lord, had the new Narset from Aftermath not been spoiled. At any rate, I like the intersection of stuff here; white-red (Lorehold) leaves-graveyard, black-red cast from exile, white-blue cast from exile, artifacts, enchantments, planeswalkers, etc...
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 9 months ago

I know you posted these almost two months ago but I have to compliment this cycle anyhow. All good ideas, creative, and seem to fit their quad-colors. A few specific notes:

Lyra - Lyra Dawnbringer is already a legend name, so you may want to change that first(?) name. This isn't quite an eminence ability, first and less importantly because it's not tribal and second and more importantly because it counts being in the graveyard, not the command zone, so I would just remove the ability word.

Vi and Til - Perfect. No notes. The 4/4 flying tokens are a VERY strong effect but I would want a strong effect for a niche-themed four-color commander. You could build this as transform goodstuff and might do decently.

Gorna - Another drain-2 ability - I might change what that hellbent ability does.

Jyenka - I think that should be "less than or equal to that spell's mana value" just because as-is it does nothing on opponent's casting 1CMC spells.

Gwordur - This looks very very very very very very strong, with the extra triggers ability pushing it over the edge. Not sure how I'd specifically change it.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 9 months ago

Thank you for your kind words!
void_nothing wrote:
9 months ago
This isn't quite an eminence ability, first and less importantly because it's not tribal and second and more importantly because it counts being in the graveyard, not the command zone, so I would just remove the ability word.
Forgot to actually delete ability the ability word when I changed it from an eminence ability. :P
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”