The 'What If?' game

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Inspired by things like Marvel's 'What If?' comics where they change some fundamental thing and look at some of the consequences e.g 'What if the Punisher was Venom?', I propose a similar idea for Magic sets!

Basically, take a *creative* aspect of a set and change it, then the next person makes a card based on the idea and suggests their own What If? As with the other chain games, feel free to chuck in two or three scenarios if the first one you come up with is a bit finicky.

I'll start the ball rolling:

What if Tarkir's iconic race to be themed around had been Hydras and not Dragons?
All my decks are here

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!
Answers: 1

Post by Serpent_Steve » 4 years ago

I believe that with most hydras being ground based (I.E. don't fly) I would imagine that certain clans (The Jeskai in particular) would be slightly redesigned to allow a setting for more hydra friendly. I imagine that the hydralords would still be relatively the same as their dragon counterparts in regards to their ideals and mannerisms.

In my card example I'll list an example of a reimagined Ojutai hydra. Still serving as teachers I picture the Jeskai as living by the seaside (still with some chinese inspirations) and the hydras are semi-benevolent teachers who rise from the depths to impart their wisdom.

Cove Guardian - XX

Creature - Hydra Serpent

Cove Guardian enters with X +1/+1 counters

Pay 1 and remove a +1/+1 counter: gain 3 life if was paid with or draw a card if it was paid in

0/0

For my what if I wonder in the original Lorwyn set when we were given the first 5 planeswalker cards. What if those planeswalkers had actually been included in the main story?

Or what if Gerrard had fallen to phyrexian influence rather than his adoptive brother Vuel (later Volrath)?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Ajani, the Unifier 2WW
Legendary Planeswalker - Ajani
+1: Up to one target creature gets +1/+1 and gains lifelink until end of turn. If that creature is a Kithkin or Giant, it gains flying and vigilance until end of turn.
-2: Until end of turn, whenever you gain life, create that many 1/1 white Kithkin Soldier creature tokens.
-7: You gain 20 life and create two 5/5 white Giant Warrior creature tokens.
{[4]}

Next: What if there was a third faction in Scars of Mirrodin block?

Or: What if Avacyn was killed by Griselbrand during Avacyn Restored?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 4 years ago

What if Avacyn was killed by Griselbrand during Avacyn Restored?

Final Cleave 4BBB
Sorcery (R)
Target player loses half their life, rounded down. Distribute X -1/-1 counter amongs creatures that player controls, where X is equal to the life lost this way.
"With single strike our last hope has fallen." —Thalia, Knight-Exile

Next:
What if Nicol Bolas had 'plan B' in War of the Spark on Ravnica?
What if Ulamog and Kozilek won battle against Gatewatch?
What if there was third aspect in Lorwyn–Shadowmoor?

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Usurp the Guildpact (Mythic)
wubrg
Legendary Enchantment
Whenever a planeswalker dies, put a contingency counter on Usurp the Guildpact.
When Usurp the Guildpact has ten or more contingency counters on it, you win the game.

What if Squee became a planeswalker?
What if Norin was "Mighty" instead of "Wary"?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Tiger Training 5WW
Instant
Tap up to three target creatures. Create three 2/1 red Cat creature tokens with first strike named Sabretooth Tiger.
"You ought to keep them on a leash measured in armspans." - Norin the Mighty

Next:
What if Venser never died?

Or: What if Ulamog and Kozilek won battle against Gatewatch?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sagharri

What if Ulamog and Kozilek won battle against Gatewatch?

Nissa, Kozilek's Herald 6
Planeswalker - Nissa (R)
+2: Target land becomes Wastes.
-2: Exile target creature you don't control and target land you control.
-9: Put two 8/8 colorless Eldrazi creature token with wasteswalk (This creature can't be blocked as long as defending player controls an Wastes.).
<4>

Next:
What if there was third aspect in Lorwyn–Shadowmoor?
What if Serra didn't die, but fall in a coma?
What if Elspeth failed to kill Xenagos, but still she died?

Legend
Aethernaut

Serra's Tomb (Rare)
Protection from all colors
When Serra's Tomb enters the battlefield, exile all Angel cards from your graveyard.
2: You may cast an Angel card exiled with Serra's Tomb. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

What if Bolas and Yawgmoth were allies?

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Becoming Powerstone 3
Artifact
T, Pay 1 life: Add U, B, or R.
T, Pay 2 life: Add CC.
T, Pay 3 life: Target nonartifact creature gets +1/-1, gains flying, and becomes an artifact in addition to its other types until end of turn.
Alive or dead, the Thran would serve.

Next: What if there was a third faction in Scars of Mirrodin block?

What if Vuel had stayed good but Gerrard were corrupted by Phyrexia?

Sagharri

What if there was a third faction in Scars of Mirrodin block?
Challenge accepted!

Extracting Sliver 2G
Creature - Sliver (U)
Slivers you control have "1, Remove a counter from an artifact or creature you control: This creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn."
What doesn't kill it make it stronger.
2/2

I was thinking about Eldrazi, but I found info that Tempered Sliver seems to be located at Mirrodin/New Phyrexia :)

Next:
What if Tibalt would made pact with four demons instead of Liliana?
What if Liliana would save her brother?
What if Nahiri wouldn't start fight with Sorin (before she was imprisoned in Helvault)?

dyd
Randomancer
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by dyd » 4 years ago

What if Liliana would save her brother?

...still interested in undead, but with a different twist.

Liliana, Life Wielder 3wb
Legendary Planeswalker — Liliana
+1: Create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with lifelink.
+1: Up to two target creatures gain indestructible until end of turn. You gain 2 life.
−8: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each upkeep, you may exile a creature card from a graveyard. If you do, create a token that's a copy of that card, except it's a white Spirit in addition to its color and types and it has lifelink."

Next
- What if Contraptions were built in a (standard-legal) Kaladesh set?
- What if Vraska had not killed Isperia?
- What if Kiran Nalaar had not died but was instead brainwashed by Baral?

Legend
Aethernaut

Kiran of the Consul (Rare)
4R
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer
2/4
Whenever an artifact is put into a graveyard from the battlefield Kiran of the Consul deals 2 damage to any target.
{W/U}, t: Return target artifact card with converted mana cost 4 or less from your graveyard to your hand.

NEXT: What if Ajani and Vraska has a baby?

dyd
Randomancer

Bundle of Joy wbg
Legendary Creature - Cat Gorgon
~ can't attack or block.
Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
Whenever an opponent loses life, ~ deals damage equal to its power to target creature or planeswalker they control.
0/3

Next:
- What if Contraptions were assembled by Kaladesh inventors?
- What if Vraska had not killed Isperia?
- What if Jace had never recovered his memories on Ixalan?

FoilSquared
Good evening, 47...
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoilSquared » 4 years ago

Isperia the Confidant
Legendary Creature - Sphinx Advisor (R)
Flying
Whenever a creature you control blocks, that creature gains +0/+3 and lifelink until end of turn.
: Creatures you control can't be blocked this turn
1/4
When Vraska failed to kill her, she took a new role in the Azorius...

Next
-What if Nicol Bolas brainwashed the Gatewatch?
-What if Elesh Norn was on the Mirran side?
-What if Ajani was corrupted by the Phyrexians?

EDIT: Added What ifs
EDH:
BTergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's LanternB

dyd
Randomancer

-What if Nicol Bolas brainwashed the Gatewatch?

Gideon, the Ruthless 1wb
Legendary Planeswalker — Gideon
As long as it's your turn, ~ is a 4/4 Human Soldier creature with indestructible that's still a planeswalker.
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to planeswalkers you control during your turn.
+1: ~ gains deathtouch and lifelink until end of turn.
−5: Destroy target creature or planeswalker.
Loyalty: 3

Next:
- what if Gideon had not saved Liliana?
- what if Chandra had killed Dovin Baan when they still were on Kaladesh?
- what if the War of the Spark had happened on Alara?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Dovin, Machine-Ghost WU
Legendary Creature - Vedalken Spirit
Flying
Whenever an artifact or artifact card becomes the target of a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Dovin, Machine-Ghost and you get E (an energy counter).
When Dovin dies, put its +1/+1 counters and any of your E on up to one target planeswalker. They become loyalty counters.
1/1

Next: What if Bolas's three Corrupted Gods were WU, WB, and RW?

Or: What if Orazca was destroyed instead of being discovered?

dyd
Randomancer

The Mosquito God 4rw
Legendary Creature — God
Flying
Whenever an opponent is dealt noncombat damage, create a 1/1 red and white Insect creature token with flying and lifelink.
2rw: ~ deals 2 damage to target opponent and you gain 2 life.
When The Mosquito God dies, return it to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.
4/4

Next: what if a different Eldrazi Titan had been lured to Innistrad?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ulamog's Ranter 3U
Creature - Zombie Cleric
Whenever Ulamog's Ranter or an Eldrazi enters the battlefield under your control, target player puts the top card of their library into their graveyard.
Undying decay (When this creature dies, you may exile four cards from an opponent's graveyard. If you do, return this creature to the battlefield under its owner's control.)
2/2

Next: What if Elspeth had gotten a new weapon from Nylea in Theros Beyond Death?

Or: What if the Sisters of Stone Death still ruled the Golgari?

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

If the Sisters were still alive and in charge of the Golgari, it means that Savra's insurrection failed. She died, but was resurrected as a valuable asset.

Savra, Slave to the Gorgons
Legendary Creature - Zombie Elf
Creature cards in your graveyard have Scavange with Scavange cost equal to their casting cost.
Dredge 1
Undergrowth - when this creature enters the battlefield gain X life, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard
2/2

Next:
what if Innistrad had Archons instead of angels
OR
what if Asha killed Melfagor and came back victorious
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Archon of Regiment Skyflame 3W
Creature - Archon
Flying
Whenever a Vampire, Werewolf, or Zombie attacks you or a planeswalker you control, Archon of Regiment Skyflame deals 1 damage to that creature.
2R: Humans and Archons you control gain double strike until end of turn.
Innistrad's archons are composed of four regiments, of which Skyflame is the most aggressive.
3/3

Next:
What if Dominaria were stuck in the Planar Chaos realities in the present day?

Or: What if Bolas had taken over Theros instead of Amonkhet?

frogchild
izzet mage
Pronoun: she / her

Post by frogchild » 4 years ago

What if Bolas had taken over Theros?

In this timeline, I imagine Bolas has killed all the multicoloured gods except three and harnessed Mogis/Keranos/Phenax as the equivalent of the Scorpion/Scarab/Locust gods,

The Horned God 2BR
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God (M)
When The Horned God dies or is exiled, you may put it third from the top of your library
Whenever The Horned God attacks, you may pay RB. If you do, exile target creature or enchantment with indestructible
At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent sacrifices a creature unless they discard a card and pay 2 life
3/4

Next: What if Chandra had destroyed Ghirapur during the Aether Revolt storyline

What if Jace had met Angrath instead of Vraska
connesieur of all things red and/or blue

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ghirapur Ablaze 2RRRR
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices six artifacts and six lands, loses six counters, discards their hand, and draws six cards. Ghirapur Ablaze deals 6 damage to each planeswalker and player.

Next:
What if the Gods lived in the Underworld on Theros and dead mortals and the Titans went to Nyx?

Or: What if Rath was overlaid onto a different plane?

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Segovian Overlay 2UU
Enchantment
Non-Shapeshifter creatures lose all types and abilities and are 1/1 blue Artifact Creature Insects with infect.
"Cower before your new god! Are you cowering? I can't tell. You are. Ok good." —Volrath

What if Mishra won the brothers war?
Or
What if Magic had focused on Worzil and Thomil instead of Urza and Mishra?
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2004-12-25

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Thomil's Workshop
Land
T, Pay 3 life: Add CCC. Spend this mana only to cast Zombie spells.
A single summoner taught both Worzel and Thomil - Worzel to call upon the living and Thomil the undead.

Next:
What if Kaladesh's culture were focused on enchanting instead of artifice?

Or: What if Vuel joined the Weatherlight crew and Gerrard became Evincar of Rath?

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Magearmor Engine 4
Legendary Enchantment
Whenever an enchantment card enters the battlefield or leaves the battlefield under your control, you get one crystal counter.
Pay four crystal counters: Create a Magearmor, a colorless Enchantment Crystal token, with base power and toughness 4/4, and imbue 1. (To imbue, tap any number of creatures you control with total power or toughness of one. This becomes a creature until end of turn.)

What if Jace and Vraska got trapped on Ixalan?

What if Sorin defeated Nahiri?

What if liliana and Garruk teamed up?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”