Post by Dunharrow » 11 months ago

yay stomper
driving to Connecticut now
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 11 months ago

I'll yay Culling despite being lukewarm on it. It definitely works with the plan. Yay to Stomper for similar reasons.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 11 months ago

I'll call out Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter as another Rishkar, Peema Renegade, who also distributes counters.

Regarding our commanders, we need some way to spread counters. Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit, Good-Fortune Unicorn and good ol' Forgotten Ancient look really great. Combined with Whitemane Lion et al Nikara, Lair Scavenger becomes a potent draw engine.

Together Forever acts as a lifeline for our creatures.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 11 months ago

Yea Stomper, think that puts it over the line. Vigilance is an oft overlooked keyword that's secretly one of the best ones; if we can stack the thing up it becomes quite helpful in the red zone.
cheonice wrote:
11 months ago
Regarding our commanders, we need some way to spread counters. Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit, Good-Fortune Unicorn and good ol' Forgotten Ancient look really great. Combined with Whitemane Lion et al Nikara, Lair Scavenger becomes a potent draw engine.
The unicorn has been pretty awesome for me in Tayam, albeit a bit slow for what that deck wants to do. Ancient is pretty great though, those counters stack up massively. I'd say Managorger Hydra is better, but for the fact it can't disperse its counters which I suspect puts Ancient ahead here. Anafenza isn't terrible, but bolster to me is a pretty average keyword purely because we can't choose where the counters go.
cheonice wrote:
11 months ago
Together Forever acts as a lifeline for our creatures.
Honestly, I think with a blink engine in the command zone I'd rather get some cool reanimation ETBs going, personally. Or just straight blink to avoid targeted removal.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 11 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago

The unicorn has been pretty awesome for me in Tayam, albeit a bit slow for what that deck wants to do. Ancient is pretty great though, those counters stack up massively. I'd say Managorger Hydra is better, but for the fact it can't disperse its counters which I suspect puts Ancient ahead here. Anafenza isn't terrible, but bolster to me is a pretty average keyword purely because we can't choose where the counters go.
It depends, what way we choose. Anafenza sounds great with any token/small flash creature etc. Not so great with reanimation, though.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 11 months ago

Yay to stomper and Culling the weak.

I think I am going to nominate Fertilid here. Despite not being very efficient for early ramp, there are a couple.of.points I like. It enters with counters already, and they reset on ETB. It can really grow into a good mid-game ramp and thinning engine, and the choice of giving lands to an opponent shouldn"t be dismissed either.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 11 months ago

I think Fertilid is a great choice! It needs no setup to do what Nikara wants! I think that's a pretty easy yay, and wow does that take me back!

toctheyounger

Yeah, it's a Ghave staple. I tried a janky finisher package with Fertilid and Ob Nixilis, Unshackled at one point. It didn't work well but the theory is there.

Anyway, probably an easy yea.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 11 months ago

I think it's pretty safe to say Topiary Stomper, Culling the Weak, and Fertilid have been confirmed. Oh no, we have 13/12 ramp slots now. I'm sure we're going to be just fine with an extra ramp piece. We can probably use the mana anyway tbh.

Let's move onto interaction slots. I think we should shoot for ~14, and we'll start with @RxPhantom and @toctheyounger on the clock.

@cheonice are you interested in joining the activity? I will add you into the lineup if so.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

I think we can pretty easily blend interaction with our engine to some extent. There plenty of ETB action that'll keep things on the level. In that vein I'll suggest Skyclave Apparition. Great trigger, great price, we generally don't care at all about a token. Seems solid to me.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I think that thing is gonna be real good especially if we pick up that new backup dragon 💖. Yay.

toctheyounger

Oh I'd forgotten about that dragon. Damn, that could be sweet. Yeah, this deck gonna be gross hahaha

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Yay to Skyclave Apparition.

I've been working all day and could probably be more creative, but I'm gonna go with Ravenous Chupacabra. I think it would kill many, many things.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger

RxPhantom wrote:
11 months ago
I think it would kill many, many things.
I'll go yea just based on this description tbh.

3drinks

Chupy and Skyclave got my votes. Although I think there is a case to choose Faceless Butcher/Fiend Hunter over Chupy, but it's early and they'll probably make it in anyway.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

I think Ravenous Chupacabra and Skyclave Apparition have been confirmed easy enough.

On the clock is @aliciaofthevast to finish out the cycle and then @Henlock to start the next with our removal suite at 2/14.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Henlock

Yes to chupacabra and apparition

I am nominating Acidic Slime, mainly because it hits lands.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Hmm. I wanna name soooooo many great cards, but I think we probably shouldn't leave home without Swords to Plowshares right?

Yay for Acidic Slime too. I remember doing the old convoluted Saffi loops with Reveillark and Slime and that makes me all warm and tingly inside 💖😏

3drinks

Hmm. I think we need some discussion before calling it, given there's nothing said.

Admittedly, it's really, really hard to argue against Plowshares given how efficient it is (Path to Exile at least has some legitimate merit to weigh). I don't see a time where Plowshares isn't making the cut sans when we're the only ones playing creature spells. I don't believe that to be the case, so yay.

Acidic Slime is a bit more tricky. While it is a classic 2-for-1, it's still five, sorcery speed, and requires a sac outlet to combo with three other cards. I recognize it hits lands, but I suspect maybe, say, an Outland Liberator // Frenzied Trapbreaker is superior since it at least has the in-built sac to it? Cankerbloom also comes to mind. I suppose the classic in our colours is qasali pridemage|tsr. Idk, i think there's a lot of options for this effect now, and I struggle with the idea that acidic slime|p30a can still make the cut in the year of powercreep 2023. I never thought I'd see the day where I'd actually nay a Slime, but...........I think that day is here.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Henlock

I agree that slime"s rate is not what it used to be, but it is one of the few creatures that can hits lands on ETB that we can play. If it did.nothing else, I would have nominated it too. Our deck is very likely to make it even better by giving it the potential for reuse.

Wheat I am trying to say is that the discussion I would like to.have is how would we go about land removal. The options you give for disenchants are all great, but they can"t hit lands.

Playing three colors makes the land-based ones more costly.

I am yaying swords.

3drinks

Hmm. I'd guess I'd ask how much do we need to hit lands in this era vs how easy it is to get out in front of us, bring them back (because they'll be faster than us due to sheer density), and is it enough overall? Because surely a five drop isn't gonna out speed land abuse, that much we know.

Woodfall Primus would tick the boxes but it's eight. terastodon|p30a is still strong enough I'd think. Angel of Despair/Ashen Rider can do it too but....

I think these compare favorably to slime because the body isn't relevant by comparison. Primus at least kinda combos since we can reset it's persist sometimes.

Admittedly I'd like slime much more if we had a Reveillark package first.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

I think we need to decide what level we want this deck to be playing at. We can totally bake in a Ghost Quarter et al to deal with Cradles and Coffers, but how often do we want to be in that pod? If we're looking for mid to high level, anything outside of cedh, I'd say we want to properly avoid land destruction unless we need to. Sure, it's nice to have the option, but we don't necessarily need a nonland slot to manage that. Or, if we do use a nonland slot, Assassin's Trophy is a perfectly good card.

I'm very hesitant with Slime personally, I don't think the rate is very good. That said I won't nay, I'll just leave it for the rest of the crew to decide.

Easy yea for Swords.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I still like Acidic Slime. Yay. Also yay to Swords.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I feel like before playing slime, we should be on Knight of Autumn and/or Harmonic Sliver right? I just can't imagine being okay with paying five on my main phase to one for one something, and with that I think this needs a nay. Sorry slime 😕

Henlock

I always run land destruction (Even play Ark of Blight in my Osgir). There are lots of lands to deal with that can run with the game if unchecked. Nyktos making tons of mana, Field of the dead spitting Zombies, lands with recursion abilities like Hall of Heliod"s generosity and with sacrifice abilities like Phyrexian Core that serve as engine cogs, Glacial Chasm locks, etc.

I"m ok with using something else than acidic slime but I do think we need to be able to interact with lands. I am unsure wether a 3 color deck.supports a.land-based LD package.

I"ll add Mangara of Corondor to the list of options. It"s slower and harder to reuse, but it"s cheap, hits even more stuff and exiles.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”