[Deck Tech] Help me Improve My Commander Deck!

Dunadain
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 3 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
3 months ago
So I want to build a goad-themed deck where I just do everything i can to (in game) bash my opponents heads together.

I'm think either Kardur, Doomscourge for a commander or Zurgo Helmsmasher with a lot of ways to tutor up Assault Suit.

Basically:
1. Do you think either commander is better/ is their a third option I should consider
2. besides all the cards that say "Goad" (those are trivial to search up) are their any obvious cards I should be looking at
3. Is there somewhere where the rules for "must attack" effects are spelled out? EG. I know you don't have to attack a player who has a Ghostly Prison out, but if player A has that out and player B doesn't, do you have to attack player B? What if, every player except you has a ghostly prison effect, can the goaded creatures attack you since they "can't" attack anyone else? Obviously I don't expect any explanations here, but is there some post out there that explains it better than my google searches have done?

Thanks guys! deuces
Decklist post made: here

I dropped both options as they were far too linear for the kind of deck I had in mind. I played around a bunch more and eventually settled on Thantis, the Warweaver, and I'm pretty pleased with the result. I'm still in need of card draw, removal, and on-theme card suggestions.

TACanadian
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TACanadian » 2 months ago

Ahoy there! Hopefully this thread is still active. Im looking for some assistance with my 4 color Splicer/Golem tribal token commander deck. My commanders are Thrasios and Ravos. Here is the deck list, https://www.topdecked.com/decks/tokens/ ... 14652aa92b . Im looking for some possible replacements or cards to remove, as it is at 103. Thanks in advance! :)

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 1 month ago

Looking for some cuts on a Queen Marchesa deck. Ideally, I'd like this to play politically, either encouraging/forcing players to attack elsewhere, or discouraging them from attacking me.

Right now, the wincons I'm looking at are:
--Underworld Breach + Smothering Tithe + either Khorvath's Fury or Molten Psyche -- Fury can either mill everyone out, or kill everyone with damage based on hand size; Psyche can kill everyone else.
--Insurrection for a big swing (possibly Thrilling Encore to steal the board for a big swing)
--Comeuppance to reflect enough damage to kill the attacker
--Arcbond + Protector of the Crown + Darksteel Plate (I need to have X+1 more life than my opponents where X=damage dealt to Protector to start Arcbond loop)

Right now, I'm about 20 cards over deck limit, and not sure what to cut. Lands are placeholder to save on typing.
Queen M's Decree

Commander

Planeswalkers

Land

12 Swamp
12 Plains
Approximate Total Cost:

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

Cuts..

Angel of jubilation
Chaos wand
Victory chimes
Rout
Orzhov advokist
Teysa
Sorin
Rector
Debtors knell
Norns annex (baaaaad)
Delaying shield
Elixir
Kunoros
Dawn charm
Cunning rhetoric

Just as a kinda general thought on marchesa I would consider not running many wipes. She benefits a lot from a clogged board.

I run zero board wipes in my breena build instead running winds of abandon and archon of coronation. I'd consider cutting all the wipes and trying to just win with marchesa on board. Play spot removal and hate and such.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 1 month ago

pokken wrote:
1 month ago
Cuts..

Angel of jubilation
Chaos wand
Victory chimes
Rout
Orzhov advokist
Teysa
Sorin
Rector
Debtors knell
Norns annex (baaaaad)
Delaying shield
Elixir
Kunoros
Dawn charm
Cunning rhetoric

Just as a kinda general thought on marchesa I would consider not running many wipes. She benefits a lot from a clogged board.

I run zero board wipes in my breena build instead running winds of abandon and archon of coronation. I'd consider cutting all the wipes and trying to just win with marchesa on board. Play spot removal and hate and such.
Dumped most of these. Kept Annex, Teysa, Delaying Shield, Cunning Rhetoric, and Dawn Charm for the moment.

Annex has saved my bacon once so far, as I had an opponent with a swarm or 1/1s that couldn't attack for lethal, because it would kill him on the way, but I agree that it may not be significant enough.

Teysa I've only gotten out once, and she was okay: warded off a big attack, and allowed me to get through to reclaim monarch. I'd probably prefer one of the other cards with the same "hit me and die" effect, but I don't own any of them, and they're not at the top of my list to acquire.

Delaying Sheild has come out a few times, and has been fantastic! It does generate some hate, but I probably would have gotten that anyway.

Rhetoric looks interesting, has warded me from a couple of attacks, and gotten me some land. Looking to try it a little more before making a decision.

Dawn Charm is on the chopping block.

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 2 weeks ago

Lately, I've been trying to get back into Magic after some financial hardship. For Commander, I've been working on this deck viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37651 based around combos that just end the game.

The deck I've built seems to need to ramp a little faster, and there are some good cards to do that (Farseek, Nature's Lore, Three Visits), but they mostly get Forests( except Farseek, which can't - which is also somewhat objectionable) and I also need Plains. This makes wonder in particular if Canopy Vista is worth a slot. Some of the slow ramp I've got now gets Forests anyway, so I'm not sure this is a valid objection. There are some other questions mentioned in the Decklist post.

I've got a couple of things to safeguard the combos, but I'm not certain the whole thing is viable in terms of competitiveness. I'm not sure I've got a good alternative as I'm not really in a position to shell out for another color combination or strategy.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 week ago

I always play the tangoes. Extra fetchables are so nice.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 6 days ago

pokken wrote:
1 month ago
Cuts..

Angel of jubilation
Chaos wand
Victory chimes
Rout
Orzhov advokist
Teysa
Sorin
Rector
Debtors knell
Norns annex (baaaaad)
Delaying shield
Elixir
Kunoros
Dawn charm
Cunning rhetoric

Posted a played/updated list: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37921&p=155667#p155667

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”