Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Could it be?! :omg: I actually asked Rosewater on Blogatog a while back about the possibility of wedge Elder Dragons and never received a reply.

Could we be getting a full cycle of wedge Elder Dragons?!!
I hope so but I don't think it will be the case. Piru was the sixth Elder Dragon to survive the Elder Dragon wars (she was later killed by Dakkon, exploding in a burst of flames, hence her ability on this card). I don't think other Elder Dragons from that time are particularly known.
I went to the wiki and checked. The Bolas origin story introduced three brothers of Vaevictis: Rubra, Ravus, and Lividus. And there is also Merrevia Sal, Ugin/Bolas's sister who was killed by humans very early in the story.

With Piru, that makes five!!!

Wedge Elder Dragons!
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 years ago

Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
2 years ago
I'm trying to brew food, your right not enough cards/supposrt (though this set is really helping) but what makes it work is also putting a focus on artifacts being sacrificed and gaining life.

Academy Manufacturer also is nice as it can give some decks a lil draw and ramp since making measure is very common and I few people who run some clue makers.
You meant draw and life right? Since you're already making the Treasures. ;)
I don't think anyone besides someone like me will be using this for the life gain*, rather just getting the draw from treasure makers and ramp from any clue makers.

*lifegain is nice but you don't try to put in life gain in every deck unless it can use it, every deck could use draw and ramp.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

So in this set green has got Empty the Warrens, a better honor of the pure, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, and a suspended Yawgmoth's Will. What's next? A green counterspell?

Meanwhile we get a squirrel commander and a bear commander, but yet again no Kavu commander. Why couldn't they have made Territorial Kavu a Kavu commander whose ability applies to all Kavu?

Also, as a former Jund modern player it's kind of frustrating that I sell my modern Jund deck and then they print great hate pieces to Tron in obsidian charmaw and Void Mirror.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

NZB2323 wrote:
2 years ago
So in this set green has got Empty the Warrens, a better honor of the pure, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, and a suspended Yawgmoth's Will. What's next? A green counterspell?

Meanwhile we get a squirrel commander and a bear commander, but yet again no Kavu commander. Why couldn't they have made Territorial Kavu a Kavu commander whose ability applies to all Kavu?

Also, as a former Jund modern player it's kind of frustrating that I sell my modern Jund deck and then they print great hate pieces to Tron in obsidian charmaw and Void Mirror.
Territorial Kavu is pretty clearly a shot at making 5 color (or at least full domain) Zoo a viable option again, and thus would not have worked as a legend. I would not count us out of getting a Kavu legend until we're out of room in multicolored cards, which I don't think we're remotely close to yet.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Man, sounds like we might finally be getting Blueborg. :) That's bananas.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Off to go look up creatures with Forestwalk.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

Lifeless wrote:
2 years ago
Off to go look up creatures with Forestwalk.
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava's time has finally come.

pokken

It might be time to bust out Eladamri, Lord of Leaves finally. I wonder if I could find enough elves to just bash people to death without needing a craterhoof effect? Maybe big ones like Joraga Warcaller type dudes?

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Ruiner wrote:
2 years ago
Well, Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth is probably gonna be a pricey card.
now we just need one for islands, plains and mountains
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

GreenBorg feels a lot less powerful than BlackBorg - 95% of the power of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is the love connection with Cabal Coffers and to a much lesser extent Crypt Ghast. Sure, some folks use it for Sheoldred, Whispering One to sneak in some damage or to power up their Tendrils of Corruption and Mutilates I'm sure, but the super mana power is the biggest benefit.

Green's best tool for that, Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary, is ban-hammered. Vernal Bloom looks a lot like Crypt Ghast but it's symmetrical which is spooky and if you wanted a symmetrical mana doubler Heartbeat of Spring exists. So there are cards exciting with it - forestwalkers, and big beaters like Dauntless Dourbark and Dungrove Elder and Beacon of Creation. Automatic staple in Patron of the Orochi I guess? And great in Elf Tribal just to "get 'em" with Eladamri, Lord of Leaves and Elvish Champion.

BlueBorg and RedBorg are going to be better due to the respective existence of High Tide and merfolk lords in blue and Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle and Goblin lords in Red. We'll see if we get them now if in Modern Horizons 3, eh?

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
Piru, The Volatile looks interesting. I really like that they managed to make the traditional elder dragon upkeep payment a semi-upside, since you can use it to set off her boardwipe on command.
I have many thoughts about this. First off, it will kill 5 of my dragons, two of which are MVPs.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Five-Color Green was not supposed to be a monocolor deck.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

I'm skeptical they have immediate or near future plans for other borgs. While I get people like to take any two points and make a line, this feels more like a Prodigal Pyromancer situation: color shifting a card into the color that probably *should* have had it in the first place.

brainface

Post by brainface » 2 years ago

Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
Automatic staple in Patron of the Orochi I guess?
Ifffff you want to untap all your opponents lands each turn? That's a certain kind of play but I wouldn't call it a staple. ^_^

Any deck with elvish champion though, yeaaaahhh.

Autoinclude in Lord Magnus!.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Many more interesting things....
  • Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer looks like a lot of fun. More of a card for other formats, and probably outclassed by Grenzo, Havoc Raiser, but still quite cute.
  • Dermotaxi is a janky Body Double variant. You don't get ETB effects, but two mana to pseudo-reanimate a thing is pretty nutty. I suppose Animate Dead and similar cards already do the same thing, but we haven't seen a new super-cheap reanimation effect in a long time.
  • On that note, Persist also looks excellent, as another two mana reanimation effect.
  • Territorial Kavu is cool as a two mana 5/5 with upside, but more of a Modern card.
  • Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth looks fantastic. There are a lot of Forest synergies - Keeper of Progenitus, Nissa, Who Shakes the World, Vernal Bloom.... not necessarily anything as easy to include in a deck as Cabal Coffers, but this is still a strong effect. I'm waiting for an Island variant for Thada though.
  • Lonis, Cryptozoologist is quite cute. Miniature Guardian Project to turn creatures into card draw, or you can search for cryptids in your opponents' topdecks. I'm a huge fan of clue tokens, so cool to see us getting more support in the command zone. Also enables artifact synergies, which could be cool.
  • Piru, the Volatile is sweet. Calls back to the original elder dragons with that nasty upkeep cost.... but actually looks to be worth it. I can't think of many other creatures (or cards in general) that both have a triggered ability to do damage and have lifelink - the closest is probably Brightflame, which is capable of gaining massive chunks of life.
  • Constable of the Realm is fine for a +1/+1 counter deck, but Oblivion Ring effects rarely excite me.
  • Academy Manufacturer is super cute, and ties into my love of named tokens.
  • Fae's Gifts - see above. A bit tricky to enable each turn, but it is conveniently powered by an adventure creature by itself, which is nice flavor.
  • The basic landcyclers (Mental Journey, etc) probably have some niche implications somewhere, but I assume they're mostly meant for limited.
  • Harmonic Prodigy looks like a snap include for Inalla, Archmage Ritualist decks and other wizard / shaman tribal decks. I guess Naban, Dean of Iteration already does something similar, but also doubling triggers from stuff like Atla Palani, Nest Tender and Ghired, Conclave Exile is certainly interesting - there are a lot of random shamans and wizards.
  • Graceful Restoration is a one-shot Reveillark that can also recur a single creature in a pinch. Seems strong for small creature decks.
  • Obsidian Charmaw is probably best in other formats, but still cool. I don't hate more nonbasic land hate.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
The trick with Patron is to have your land base be a Blighted Woodland and all forests. Then you don't care :P
Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
There was a rumour going around that they were playtesting the Urborgs for M22 inclusion. Well, M22 isn't a thing anymore. Maybe they decided to house them here?
Also, I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard at a card as I did at Dermotaxi. I'm getting that one in some super fancy form just so I can plop it onto the battlefield every now and then.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

brainface wrote:
2 years ago
Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
Ifffff you want to untap all your opponents lands each turn? That's a certain kind of play but I wouldn't call it a staple. ^_^

Any deck with elvish champion though, yeaaaahhh.

Autoinclude in Lord Magnus!.
What are you talking abo- it doesn't say you control...
sheeeeeeeet

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

I don't know how I feel about elf decks stealing tricks from my Grimgrin zombies.

pokken

man Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer is frigging awesome. I love that guy.

I think I might make that my saboteur tribal commander guy and see if I can make it work with mono red. Gotta noodle on that some, since it probably means taking Harnfell apart :P

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
man Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer is frigging awesome. I love that guy.

I think I might make that my saboteur tribal commander guy and see if I can make it work with mono red. Gotta noodle on that some, since it probably means taking Harnfell apart :P
No love for Grenzo, Havoc Raiser? At least you can cast your opponents' nonred cards more easily.

pokken

Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
No love for Grenzo, Havoc Raiser? At least you can cast your opponents' nonred cards more easily.
I do like grenzo a lot and would play him in that deck, but ramping from turn 2 is hard to pass up.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Yeah Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer is pretty great tempo. Having dash really helps mitigate the commander tax costs of having such a fragile creature in the CZ too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 2 years ago

Ragavan just seems fun. Gonti lite.

I'm excited for Academy Manufacturer for my boy's upgraded Adrix and Nev, Twincasters precon where we're running a light investigate subtheme. It'll be a good reason to pick him up a Tireless Tracker as a gift at some point.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”