Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 3 months ago

The storm scale only refers to standard legal cards. You'll note that as this is a set with no new standard legal cards, storm is fair game as a mechanic.

Dragonlover

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 months ago

hell yeah janky artifact duals!

Also, Asmor's card is great. Excellent flavor fit, interesting design, and quirkily nostalgic. I imagine her and Gyome as a mirrored pair of sorts, the good and evil chefs of the multiverse. It's cool to see non-martial historical professions getting some more representation, it makes the multiverse feel more like a place, rather than just a battlefield.
Last edited by BeneTleilax 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Decks: Flicker Feather, Krenko, Varina, Zabaz

TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 months ago

Oh wow, wasn't expecting artifact dual lands. With indestructible too.

Gosh. This is officially hair-raising for me now. Can't wait to see what's next!
Current EDH Decks: DirkGently's Phelddagrif
Current cEDH: Selvala Brostorm
Retired EDH: Korvold, Goreclaw, Emry, ISBPathfinder's Sythis
Legacy: Burn

There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)
Spoiler
Show

You were banned
It felt like a death note
From far away

R.I.P Paradox Engine January 20, 2017-July 8, 2019. You are the one I will always remember, all the days of my life.
Special thanks to Takayanagi Shigenobu for the poem

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 months ago

While I think I do recall that being the specific wording of the storm scale, I don't really know why it would be a problem in standard. All the things that are good with storm - at least as far as I can think - are almost all outside of standard. At least from a power level perspective, standard seems like the safest place to have it.

As far as enjoyable and interesting play patterns, I'd say the best place for the mechanic is somewhere between the large intestine and the toilet bowl.

Underworld cookbook guy seems like a potentially cute build. Not good but cute.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 months ago

Oh, I don't know how I didn't see it but Teferi's Veil combos very nicely with out of time :) Swing with all your bros, phase them out, then profit. Of course that works with Eerie Interlude like all board wipes, but veil is a lot cheaper and can be set up ahead of time.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 months ago

I certainly didn't expect a food subtheme to pop up in this set, that's for sure.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 months ago

The artifact duals are a nice surprise. I normally stay away from CIPT duals, as there are so many options to choose from, but I do have a couple of decks where them being artifacts matters, and there are plenty of other possibilities there. Good in Osgir, obviously. Plus, more cheap and common duals is never a bad thing for the format.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: it /its

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 months ago
Hmmmmmm in Phelddagrif...
"Why are you giving out so many hippos?"

knight_seb

Post by knight_seb » 3 months ago

Some nice new toys for now but I got just a couple of cards for my EDH decks, I'm waiting to see more.
However, from my Peasant player point of view, a common with the storm mechanic (Chatterstorm ) is quite frightening ...

BeneTleilax

I imagine we'll see more people running sac outlets again, with Out of Time.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 3 months ago

Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar is a fun reference, the card is so cute that it has no mana cost because the name is too long.

It signals more Food to come, which is nice because Food was underdeveloped in my opinion.

Magiqmaster
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Magiqmaster » 3 months ago

JovialJovian wrote:
3 months ago
Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar is a fun reference, the card is so cute that it has no mana cost because the name is too long.

It signals more Food to come, which is nice because Food was underdeveloped in my opinion.
I can imagine people trying to properly pronounce this card's name, and failing to do so everytime. I got a real laugh when I saw it revealed! :rofl:

Dunadain

Post by Dunadain » 3 months ago

If I make a Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar deck I'm gonna practice pronouncing that name until I have it nailed down then I'll correct my opponents everytime they try to refer to my commander.

Has a neat interaction with Pithing Needle, Meddling Mage and similar cards, chances are, you're opponent physically won't be able to name Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar.

Edit: apparently, the joke wasn't obvious. If you did want to try to rule lawyer or something with meddling mage I'm pretty sure the rules have changed since that one borborygmos incident with pithing needle so it wouldn't work anyways, it was a joke good grief.
I have no idea why this particular thread has so much more anger then other threads but whatever.
Last edited by Dunadain 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

BeneTleilax

Arcbound mouser is cute and excellent. I'm going to feel bad feeding it to my bug.

BeneTleilax

Dunadain wrote:
3 months ago
Has a neat interaction with Pithing Needle, Meddling Mage and similar cards, chances are, you're opponent physically won't be able to name Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar.
Cheesing your opponents out of Pithing Needle effects because of a mispronunciation seems needlessly legalistic and petty.

Magiqmaster

Post by Magiqmaster » 3 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
3 months ago
If I make a Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar deck I'm gonna practice pronouncing that name until I have it nailed down then I'll correct my opponents everytime they try to refer to my commander.

Indeed, good point! I have a friend who often struggles naming MTG cards, we like to tease him about it. I just can't imagine him naming this card, it would be hillarious!

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

That's actually not possible - you are allowed to describe a card's features with Pithing Needle and co without saying their actual name. They could say "your commander with the name I can't say" and it would be a legal choice per the rules.

Dunadain

Lifeless wrote:
3 months ago
That's actually not possible - you are allowed to describe a card's features with Pithing Needle and co without saying their actual name. They could say "your commander with the name I can't say" and it would be a legal choice per the rules.
Oftentimes, when posting something sarcastically I'll use blue text, apparently still wasn't obvious enough, I appreciate that you didn't come at me about it though.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 months ago

Outcryqq wrote:
3 months ago
Out of Time in my Zur enchantments list is going to be very oppressive. Essentially a tutorable wrath, and in that deck, I can flicker/recast it at will.
It's also very solid in Ghen, Arcanum Weaver or Estrid, the Masked.
EDH
WUBrg Morophon, the infinite Kavu
Rwb Ghen, Prison Weaver
Rwb Kaalia, Angel tribal
Rwb Edgar, low curve
Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal
Wr Winota, Aggro and Combo
WG Captain Sisay land destruction
Ur Niv-Mizzet, Parun
Ug Edric pauper
Bg Sarulf peasant
B Marrow-Gnawer, rat colony

Pauper
U Delver
B ETB creatures
G elves

I don’t play modern anymore.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Dunadain wrote:
3 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
3 months ago
Oftentimes, when posting something sarcastically I'll use blue text, apparently still wasn't obvious enough, I appreciate that you didn't come at me about it though.
Oh I'm not cross about it, just figured I would mention the rule so people didn't get the wrong idea that this was possible.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
3 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
3 months ago
I thought green text was the color of sarcasm?
EDH
WUBrg Morophon, the infinite Kavu
Rwb Ghen, Prison Weaver
Rwb Kaalia, Angel tribal
Rwb Edgar, low curve
Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal
Wr Winota, Aggro and Combo
WG Captain Sisay land destruction
Ur Niv-Mizzet, Parun
Ug Edric pauper
Bg Sarulf peasant
B Marrow-Gnawer, rat colony

Pauper
U Delver
B ETB creatures
G elves

I don’t play modern anymore.

Dunadain

NZB2323 wrote:
3 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
3 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
3 months ago
Is it? Lol.

Oops, my bad.

TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 months ago

NZB2323 wrote:
3 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
3 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
3 months ago
Using any color of text for sarcasm is going to make you seem like a needless menace to colorblind people. Don't they have it hard enough already?
Current EDH Decks: DirkGently's Phelddagrif
Current cEDH: Selvala Brostorm
Retired EDH: Korvold, Goreclaw, Emry, ISBPathfinder's Sythis
Legacy: Burn

There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)
Spoiler
Show

You were banned
It felt like a death note
From far away

R.I.P Paradox Engine January 20, 2017-July 8, 2019. You are the one I will always remember, all the days of my life.
Special thanks to Takayanagi Shigenobu for the poem

BeneTleilax

I've only seen strikethrough and /s used for sarcasm. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”