Unreleased and New Card Discussion

User avatar
TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Posts: 412
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Under the chicken coop

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 weeks ago

Ecological Appreciation seems pretty gross. I'm not terribly invested in the exercise, but I'm sure the gifted/inspired among us will figure out a way to make it foolproof shortly. Cheating the unchosen straight into play is a fair trade for the loss of agency, I think.

BeneTleilax
Posts: 603
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 weeks ago

Moth wrote:
3 weeks ago
Got some thoughts about new cards:

Wandering Archaic is Tron's newest answer to Prowess, effectively shutting down their early game creatures as long as they can survive to cast it.

Resculpt could go in a mighty brew with its friend Ensoul Artifact. Targeting your own Memnite, Ornithopter or Darksteel Relic to have a 5/5 / 4/4 on T2 looks playable.

Dragon's Approach is ridiculous. I've got ideas of a mono-red self-mill brew using Hollow One as backup with all the self-mill favourites such as Goblin Lore and Burning Inquiry to speed out Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon and Dragon Mage.
Uh, you seem to have found the wrong thread. Does Tron even exist in Commander? Is that a thing?

User avatar
ZenN
Posts: 444
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Canada

Post by ZenN » 3 weeks ago

Moonlighter wrote:
3 weeks ago
That said, I think Verdant Mastery could see some solid play. It's a bit late game for a lot of metas, but I think it'll do work, especially with the reduced cost mechanic. Neat stuff!
Verdant Mastery looks like a neat card, but I can't imagine there are many decks where I'd choose to play that over Skyshroud Claim, Hunting Wilds, Pir's Whim, etc etc. There will be SOME decks that are happy to pay 6 for 2 basics in play and 2 in hand, though.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

User avatar
Serenade
UnderKing
Posts: 751
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Serenade » 3 weeks ago

Is that a squirrel at the bottom of Ecological Appreciation?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

User avatar
Sinis
Posts: 1360
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 weeks ago

Serenade wrote:
3 weeks ago
Is that a squirrel at the bottom of Ecological Appreciation?
Acornelia, Fashionable Filcher believes it is!

User avatar
ZenN
Posts: 444
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Canada

Post by ZenN » 3 weeks ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 weeks ago
Ecological Appreciation seems pretty gross. I'm not terribly invested in the exercise, but I'm sure the gifted/inspired among us will figure out a way to make it foolproof shortly. Cheating the unchosen straight into play is a fair trade for the loss of agency, I think.
I accidentally hit the "thanks" button instead of the "reply" button the first time, so enjoy! :P

As far as the card goes, I think in order for it to really be broken it'll need to be able to be foolproof, as you say, for a fair bit lower cost than Tooth and Nail. I'm sure there will be piles to do it for like X = 3 or something, though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this be popular.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

BeneTleilax
Posts: 603
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 weeks ago

If nothing else Verdant Mastery is another way to dump Sorrow's Path path on someone.

User avatar
ZenN
Posts: 444
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Canada

Post by ZenN » 3 weeks ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 weeks ago
If nothing else Verdant Mastery is another way to dump Sorrow's Path path on someone.
Basic lands only, I'm afraid.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Wallycaine
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 3 weeks ago

ZenN wrote:
3 weeks ago
Moonlighter wrote:
3 weeks ago
That said, I think Verdant Mastery could see some solid play. It's a bit late game for a lot of metas, but I think it'll do work, especially with the reduced cost mechanic. Neat stuff!
Verdant Mastery looks like a neat card, but I can't imagine there are many decks where I'd choose to play that over Skyshroud Claim, Hunting Wilds, Pir's Whim, etc etc. There will be SOME decks that are happy to pay 6 for 2 basics in play and 2 in hand, though.
I would point out that even at the 4 cmc slot, Verdant Mastery has the upside of grabbing 3 lands over Skyshroud and Hunting Wilds, so it technically beats them out on card advantage. Whether that's worth the downside of donating a basic is obviously a big question mark, but it's not *strictly* worse than those two.
Serenade wrote:
3 weeks ago
Is that a squirrel at the bottom of Ecological Appreciation?
I believe so!
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 weeks ago
Ecological Appreciation seems pretty gross. I'm not terribly invested in the exercise, but I'm sure the gifted/inspired among us will figure out a way to make it foolproof shortly. Cheating the unchosen straight into play is a fair trade for the loss of agency, I think.
Honestly, I don't think it'll be that broken? The fact that it exiles itself *and* puts the two cards chosen back in the library rather than the graveyard are both huge safety valves on this sorta thing. It's very hard to have 4 card combos where any 2 will function together, which is why most Gifts Ungiven or Intuition combos rely on having elements of recursion to ensure you get the cards you actually want. A lot of the time, this feels like it's going to play out more toolboxy: you grab 3-4 cards that all help you deal with X situation, rather than trying to get a combo. Something like grabbing a pile of "etb kill a dude" creatures to help deal with a problem creature, or 4 different ramp creatures to get a leg up. You might be able to force the choice slightly with a pair of combo creatures, but most combos don't run 3 versions of each side, so it'll rarely be an instant win.

User avatar
Serenade
UnderKing
Posts: 751
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Serenade » 3 weeks ago

....guys, Verdant Mastery enables landwalk shenanigans.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

User avatar
ZenN
Posts: 444
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Canada

Post by ZenN » 3 weeks ago

Serenade wrote:
3 weeks ago
....guys, Verdant Mastery enables landwalk shenanigans.
lol
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

User avatar
benjameenbear
Posts: 784
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 3 weeks ago

I also like the "fixed" Thrasios they printed in Simic colors... Sorry Zimone, Quandrix Prodigy, you'll immediately draw the hatred of people who hate Simic generic draw cards + play lands in the Command Zone.

Wallycaine
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 3 weeks ago

Strixhaven Stadium looks very interesting politically. Obviously, at a baseline, it's a crappy mana rock, but the alt kill condition of "hit players with dudes 10 times" is super achievable, and it even helps cut down on how much you need with the tap ability. The downside is that it probably makes you a target, which means you need to be a deck that can defend from random attacks, or just gain so many counters that it doesn't matter. And there's some cute options for stuff like building up counters on a less defended/more cooperative player, and then just getting the last point against the player you both want to kill.

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 3198
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 weeks ago

Hmm, Zimone, Quandrix Prodigy is kinda appealing to me moreso than Aesi/etc. I'm not sure if it's more or less annoying than Maelstrom Wanderer though :P I have a current RUG lands deck, I wound up dismantling the Omnath deck pretty fast since another guy in my playgroup has the same deck, so I might give this a try. The power level seems to be there. Also the interaction with Seedborn Muse is kinda my jam =P

At least it's not so absurdly overpowered it'll immediately spawn a billion decks, since it's probably overall worse than Aesi, Tyrant of Gyre Strait and Tatyova, Benthic Druid at the same thing.

User avatar
cheonice
Posts: 86
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 3 weeks ago

benjameenbear wrote:
3 weeks ago
I also like the "fixed" Thrasios they printed in Simic colors... Sorry Zimone, Quandrix Prodigy, you'll immediately draw the hatred of people who hate Simic generic draw cards + play lands in the Command Zone.
Yes, I'm one of those players, who hates Thrasios and Kinnan. But she is a solid design, looks like an interesting character, has broad implications, and is not really oppressing. I really like her!

User avatar
TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Posts: 412
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Under the chicken coop

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 weeks ago

@ZenN

Tbh, I was wondering what was so likeable about my comment, but I'm not above accidental accolades either!

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 705
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 3 weeks ago

I wonder how I can fit Dragon's Approach into my The Ur-Dragon deck or if i even should
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

User avatar
DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Posts: 1730
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 3 weeks ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 weeks ago
Strixhaven Stadium looks very interesting politically. Obviously, at a baseline, it's a crappy mana rock, but the alt kill condition of "hit players with dudes 10 times" is super achievable, and it even helps cut down on how much you need with the tap ability. The downside is that it probably makes you a target, which means you need to be a deck that can defend from random attacks, or just gain so many counters that it doesn't matter. And there's some cute options for stuff like building up counters on a less defended/more cooperative player, and then just getting the last point against the player you both want to kill.
This makes me want to run a random Karn's Bastion in my decks, so when someone tags an ally to add a ninth counter I can go "hang on a sec, before that trigger resolves..."

Very cute mana rock, I don't think it'll be TOO annoying? But a 3 cmc rock that can win the game is definitely nothing to be ignored. Could end up being a problem?

Zimone is a far tamer version of the draw + ramp simic thing. Can't imagine anyone getting too upset about her. The fact that it's a tap ability, and it costs mana, means that she's very unlikely to be oppressive imo.

Oh yeah and we have a third rupture spire. Yay?

PrimevalCommander
Posts: 142
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by PrimevalCommander » 3 weeks ago

Ecological Appreciation looks pretty solid. Anything X=3 or higher and you are even, or cheating on mana value. Good toolbox card that can be political. Getting 2 of the best 2-4 drops in your deck directly into play could easily be worth the card. I can think of several piles at 2 and 3 that would be worth the mana even without a known boardstate.

What happens if you run out of creatures and can't find 4 of them? Maybe you already tutored/played all but 3 of your creatures at that cmc and can't complete the requirement. I assume the spell fizzles and you wasted the mana and card. Same for the card that searches 4 basics.

User avatar
DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Posts: 1730
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 3 weeks ago

Fervent Mastery

So can we unban gifts ungiven now?

User avatar
FenrirRex
Posts: 77
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by FenrirRex » 3 weeks ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 weeks ago
Fervent Mastery

So can we unban gifts ungiven now?
I mean, super Gamble will actually hit some fail points, gifts generally doesn't. It looks a lot more like a randomized Final Parting than a Gifts Ungiven, and that card is far from breaking the format.

User avatar
DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Posts: 1730
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 3 weeks ago

FenrirRex wrote:
3 weeks ago
I mean, super Gamble will actually hit some fail points, gifts generally doesn't. It looks a lot more like a randomized Final Parting than a Gifts Ungiven, and that card is far from breaking the format.
Good point, we should have unbanned gifts after final parting didn't do anything to the format :P

Wallycaine
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 3 weeks ago

FenrirRex wrote:
3 weeks ago
DirkGently wrote:
3 weeks ago
Fervent Mastery

So can we unban gifts ungiven now?
I mean, super Gamble will actually hit some fail points, gifts generally doesn't. It looks a lot more like a randomized Final Parting than a Gifts Ungiven, and that card is far from breaking the format.
Yeah, I'm really not seeing the connection. The primary problems with Gifts is reliability (it's fairly trivial to make it into tutoring for a 2 card combo) and Instant speed (letting it fire off EoT before you untap and play the combo). Fervent Mastery does... neither of those things. There's no choice involved, it's purely random. You can pad the numbers a little by fetching redundant things and holding extra cards in hand, but there's always a chance that all the cards you want in hand end up in the grave and all the ones you want in the grave end up in hand (And casting it on an empty hand just gets you a bad Buried Alive). It's not even card advantage, and it certainly isn't an instant to allow for tutoring your combo at EoT.

User avatar
Dragoon
Posts: 242
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dragoon » 3 weeks ago

That Strixhaven Stadium looks like it will be right at home in a Derevi, Empyrial Tactician deck, with the combat damage triggers and the tap/untap shenanigans.

I like the new turbo-charged Gamble, it might see play in decks like Daretti, Scrap Savant or Feldon of the Third Path?
Decklist(s) on this forum: WUBRG [Golos] Maelstrom 2: Erratic Boogaloo (randomness themed deck) WUBRG

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 3198
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 weeks ago

Does turbo charged gamble create a 1 card combo with
Unburial Rites Auriok Salvagers and Lion's Eye Diamond ? Feels like it to me.

re: Final Parting / Gifts Ungiven

parting lets you pick which one goes in the bin and guarantee it without spending mana on recursion so functionally it's very close to the same mana for combos as Gifts Ungiven

so you can final parting for Reanimate and Razaketh, the Foulblooded for example, whereas with Gifts you have a lot more hoops to jump through for that (since they can put the fattie in your hand and you the need a way to discard it). Same with combo pieces, they put the most inconvenient thing in your hand.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”