Unreleased and New Card Discussion

User avatar
Serenade
UnderKing
Posts: 751
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Claim the Firstborn feels like a staple. Everyone should be running sac outlets. So many good lower cmc critters in this format.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

User avatar
TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Posts: 412
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Under the chicken coop

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
1 year ago

Emry, Lurker of the Loch - Mookie's comments about sum it up. Also, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of dodging commander tax! (What are you going on about, Sanity...)
I love you, Sanity. This is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time and I'm so happy you brought it up. Now to see if we get an excuse to break out "Help! Help! I'M BEING REPRESSED!" in future spoilers.

User avatar
Sinis
Posts: 1360
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
Claim the Firstborn feels like a staple. Everyone should be running sac outlets. So many good lower cmc critters in this format.
It depends on your environment, I think. People in my groups aren't clamouring to play Unearth and Lightning Bolt is uncommon at best.

User avatar
materpillar
the caterpillar
Posts: 511
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Ohio

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Man, I'm so tempted to build a Monty Python and the holy grail theme deck now. Or a Robin Hood: Men in Tights deck. Either is totally doable this set.
That sounds fantastic.

The card I'm most excited about is Tournament Grounds. My march towards having only lands that are relevant for creature types continues for my changeling deck continues. On the other side of the coin, if Witch's Vengeance could never be played ever I would appreciate it. I might also try to jam Robber Of The Rich in there too, but the deck is getting fairly tight.

I'm also super pumped for Foulmire Knight. Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker wants every black 1/x that draws cards. I might also stick it in Lazav.


Questing Beast wins the award for greatest flavor fail. What is happening in that mess of text?

User avatar
UnfulfilledDesires
Posts: 96
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: they / them
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 1 year ago

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
Claim the Firstborn feels like a staple. Everyone should be running sac outlets. So many good lower cmc critters in this format.
Note that it also doubles as a ritual if you have creatures that tap for more than one mana. I'm looking forward to using it with Selvala, Heart of the Wilds.

User avatar
Serenade
UnderKing
Posts: 751
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Questing Beast wins the award for greatest flavor fail. What is happening in that mess of text?
Getting through the text IS the quest!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

User avatar
DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Posts: 1730
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

syr carah, the bold is intriguing. CA for red in the CZ. Idk that there are burn spells I'd want to use to trigger her, but maybe there's some synergy with buyback or something to justify a couple of them.

Glad it's play not cast.
Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
Claim the Firstborn feels like a staple. Everyone should be running sac outlets. So many good lower cmc critters in this format.
Really? I'd say maybe 30% of my decks run any sac outlets, and only a few run more than a couple. Plus it's so narrow. And you need to play a sac out first so the low cost is less useful. Surely lightning bolt accomplishes a similar task with zero setup. And bolt is an instant, this is a sorcery.

I can't think of many cards I'd be less likely to play in edh that aren't vanilla creatures. Even Zirulan which runs lots of sac outs AND is mono-red isn't even considering this. I'd rather pay extra for flexible/flash theft.

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 705
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

RedCheese wrote:
1 year ago
Kenrith, the Returned King

Talk about a perfect group hug commander.
Meeting at WotC R&D "well we can't reprint Phelddagrif..so let's go all five colors with something like it"...and as for rogue well sword of dungeons and dragons

and would commander tax be a non-factor in a artifact dedicated deck with Emry, Lurker of the Loch?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 2216
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Man, I'm so tempted to build a Monty Python and the holy grail theme deck now. Or a Robin Hood: Men in Tights deck. Either is totally doable this set.
That sounds fantastic.
Few more bits and it'd be very easy. We just need a trusty steed named Patsy and an Equipment called Coconut Halves that has equip : Make a clopping sound.

For a Men in Tights build we definitely need a rabbi.

In all seriousness, I'm really just holding out to see a legendary witch at this point.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

User avatar
75chan
Shoegaze ♥
Posts: 81
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by 75chan » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
syr carah, the bold is intriguing. CA for red in the CZ. Idk that there are burn spells I'd want to use to trigger her, but maybe there's some synergy with buyback or something to justify a couple of them.

Glad it's play not cast.
Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
Claim the Firstborn feels like a staple. Everyone should be running sac outlets. So many good lower cmc critters in this format.
Really? I'd say maybe 30% of my decks run any sac outlets, and only a few run more than a couple. Plus it's so narrow. And you need to play a sac out first so the low cost is less useful. Surely lightning bolt accomplishes a similar task with zero setup. And bolt is an instant, this is a sorcery.

I can't think of many cards I'd be less likely to play in edh that aren't vanilla creatures. Even Zirulan which runs lots of sac outs AND is mono-red isn't even considering this. I'd rather pay extra for flexible/flash theft.
Price of Progress seems like a given. I'm interested in possibly doing some kind of pseudo-storm (you'll get a card for every Grapeshot trigger), pseudo-burn deck with her at the helm, but it probably would get boring to play rather quick.

Agreed on Claim the Firstborn. None of my decks have a sac outlet, the closest thing is Neoform/Eldritch Evolution, but I don't think I'd run it even if I had sac outlets. There's some decent utility in though incase you want R: Untap target creature with upside.
I swap decks a lot
wr Avacyn with defensive blinking
ur OG Jhoira spellslinger without MLD or eldrazi
and some other stuff that are more or less messy


Best card

User avatar
Cyberium
Posts: 510
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Man, I'm so tempted to build a Monty Python and the holy grail theme deck now. Or a Robin Hood: Men in Tights deck. Either is totally doable this set.
Which rabbit will you use?

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 2216
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Cyberium wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Man, I'm so tempted to build a Monty Python and the holy grail theme deck now. Or a Robin Hood: Men in Tights deck. Either is totally doable this set.
Which rabbit will you use?
Kezzerdrix seems evil enough. The real question though, is how to portray the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. Maybe Ratchet Bomb? So long as you can count to three (five is way off).
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

User avatar
Sanity_Eclipse
Posts: 202
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 1 year ago

You're welcome, [mention]TheAmericanSpirit[/mention].

Outlaws' Merriment is a decently spicy little thing.
- Lyra -

- Naru Meha -

- Liliana -

- Chandra - Lovisa -

- Nissa - Titania -

- Lavinia X -
- Elenda -
- Yuriko -
- Jhoira-G - Saheeli -
-
- Glissa - Lathril - Meren -
-
-
-
- Koma -
-
- Anafenza -
- Alela - Sen Triplets -
- Narset -
- Inalla -
- Sidisi -
-
- Kaalia-V -
-
- Xyris

User avatar
lyonhaert
Posts: 557
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 1 year ago

Seven Dwarves made me laugh. :grin:
Rebuilding
r Zada Arcane Storm
rbu Marchesa
To-Build Pool
gwu Estrid
gwr Samut?
urb Kess
{r/w}{u/b} Akiri & Silas
bwr Alesha
r Neheb Dragons
g Nylea Wurm/Hydra
w Darien
u Tetsuko
b The Abyss — a mono-black EDH Discord b

User avatar
ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Posts: 1140
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: SD, USA

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

Wow, Seven Dwarves is literally a buffed Relentless Rats / Rat Colony (as far as stats for the mana go). It will be interesting to see how red can spin it in comparison to black. Rats and being in black is probably a little stronger but its really cool to see how a change in color / creature type might impact where it can and will see play.

Also, VERY happy to see it stay at common. Maybe Depala, Pilot Exemplar will finally have something interesting to do?
[EDH] Sram (auras) | Bruna | Heliod | Sai | Naban | Anje

User avatar
SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle
Posts: 332
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by SocorroTortoise » 1 year ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
Wow, Seven Dwarves is literally a buffed Relentless Rats / Rat Colony (as far as stats for the mana go). It will be interesting to see how red can spin it in comparison to black. Rats and being in black is probably a little stronger but its really cool to see how a change in color / creature type might impact where it can and will see play.

Also, VERY happy to see it stay at common. Maybe Depala, Pilot Exemplar will finally have something interesting to do?
Not quite? You can only include 7 of them in a deck.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

User avatar
Mookie
Posts: 1606
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 20
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: the æthereal plane

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Seven Dwarves is hilarious, but I don't think seven copies is enough to build around - most Relentless Rats / Shadowborn Apostle decks I see rely heavily on Thrumming Stone, which needs a much higher density.

True Love's Kiss - I actually complained about Slice in Twain not existing in monowhite a while ago, so good to see this printed. I can't think of any staple White Disenchant effects (compared to Green having Reclamation Sage, Nature's Claim, which I jam into most decks that can play them), which means that the bar for new options is a bit lower.

Harmonious Archon is interesting. An anthem for your tokens, and a debuff for any large creatures your opponents have.

Ayara, First of Locthwain looks like a more balanced Yawgmoth, Thran Physician. Mixed feelings about only sacrificing black creatures - means she really wants to be in a monoblack deck (also, obligatory devotion callout). Still, making monocolor better is always nice. Drain ability seems pretty useful as well, although it may mean she draws more hate.

User avatar
ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Posts: 1140
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: SD, USA

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
1 year ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
Wow, Seven Dwarves is literally a buffed Relentless Rats / Rat Colony (as far as stats for the mana go). It will be interesting to see how red can spin it in comparison to black. Rats and being in black is probably a little stronger but its really cool to see how a change in color / creature type might impact where it can and will see play.

Also, VERY happy to see it stay at common. Maybe Depala, Pilot Exemplar will finally have something interesting to do?
Not quite? You can only include 7 of them in a deck.
Wow, I really derped that one up. I guess I need to play limited so I can try to break that limit lol.
[EDH] Sram (auras) | Bruna | Heliod | Sai | Naban | Anje

User avatar
Sinis
Posts: 1360
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
True Love's Kiss - I actually complained about Slice in Twain not existing in monowhite a while ago, so good to see this printed. I can't think of any staple White Disenchant effects (compared to Green having Reclamation Sage, Nature's Claim, which I jam into most decks that can play them), which means that the bar for new options is a bit lower.
Return to Dust and, more recently, Crush Contraband have been pretty great for me. The cantrip aspect might be nice though, especially for mono-white.

User avatar
SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle
Posts: 332
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by SocorroTortoise » 1 year ago

True Love's Kiss is a decent card but I'm even more on board for the flavor. Make out with Pestilence until it disappears.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

User avatar
bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Posts: 417
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Contact:

Post by bobthefunny » 1 year ago

Seven Dwarves will be fun with token copies and populate, perhaps? You can certainly end up with a lot more than seven.

Sharpened
Posts: 125
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sharpened » 1 year ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
SocorroTortoise wrote:
1 year ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
Wow, Seven Dwarves is literally a buffed Relentless Rats / Rat Colony (as far as stats for the mana go). It will be interesting to see how red can spin it in comparison to black. Rats and being in black is probably a little stronger but its really cool to see how a change in color / creature type might impact where it can and will see play.

Also, VERY happy to see it stay at common. Maybe Depala, Pilot Exemplar will finally have something interesting to do?
Not quite? You can only include 7 of them in a deck.
Wow, I really derped that one up. I guess I need to play limited so I can try to break that limit lol.
Nope.


User avatar
ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Posts: 1140
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: SD, USA

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

Sharpened wrote:
1 year ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
SocorroTortoise wrote:
1 year ago
Not quite? You can only include 7 of them in a deck.
Wow, I really derped that one up. I guess I need to play limited so I can try to break that limit lol.
Nope.

Thats SUPER weird given that normally limited puts no restriction on how many of anything you can run.
[EDH] Sram (auras) | Bruna | Heliod | Sai | Naban | Anje

User avatar
Sinis
Posts: 1360
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

bobthefunny wrote:
1 year ago
Seven Dwarves will be fun with token copies and populate, perhaps? You can certainly end up with a lot more than seven.
Rite of Replication: Sleepy still hasn't gotten up.
Followed Footsteps: single file marching order.
Back from the Brink: "You'll have to toss me. Don't tell the elf."

User avatar
Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Posts: 361
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Freiburg, Germany
Contact:

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago



I honestly don't know if there'll be a lot of people excited about this guy in EDH, but he's just perfect for my beloved Lazav, the Multifarious deck!
Cheap CMC, can sac itself, grant both haste and evasion...
Love. It.

He might as well go into my Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle list.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”