Unreleased and New Card Discussion

User avatar
Candlemane
Posts: 116
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Candlemane » 5 months ago



So with this spoiled, I just wanted to ask; is anyone else more excited for the rares than the mythics this set? I know I am.
Come watch commander games on my channel Durdle MTG. The focus is on the casual 12 turn style of commander. You can also find video links on Facebook and Twitter @DurdleMTG.

Paper EDH
Breena, the Demagogue WB
Gyome, Master Chef BG
Bell Borca, Spectral Sergeant RW
Arcades, the Strategist GWU
Omnath, Locus of the Roil GUR
Yore-Tiller Nephilim WUBR
Niv-Mizzet Reborn WUBRG

User avatar
RedCheese
Posts: 160
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RedCheese » 5 months ago

Another sweet card to go into Varina. Queen Varina and her King Nevinyrral

ilovesaprolings
Posts: 468
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ilovesaprolings » 5 months ago

Nevinyrral is really god. Flavorful and strong. Top card for this set.

User avatar
Candlemane
Posts: 116
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Candlemane » 5 months ago



Hey, a mythic I want :D
Come watch commander games on my channel Durdle MTG. The focus is on the casual 12 turn style of commander. You can also find video links on Facebook and Twitter @DurdleMTG.

Paper EDH
Breena, the Demagogue WB
Gyome, Master Chef BG
Bell Borca, Spectral Sergeant RW
Arcades, the Strategist GWU
Omnath, Locus of the Roil GUR
Yore-Tiller Nephilim WUBR
Niv-Mizzet Reborn WUBRG

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 703
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 5 months ago

Candlemane wrote:
5 months ago


Hey, a mythic I want :D
same, I may actually buy a box for this set.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

User avatar
Gashnaw
Posts: 190
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 5 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
5 months ago
Candlemane wrote:
5 months ago


Hey, a mythic I want :D
same, I may actually buy a box for this set.
I want to, but the set for me is a hit or miss. Either I am getting the rare in the booster pack, or I am not getting a card I want. not much is really screaming at me. Even Jeweled Lotus is not a top card.
Apex Devastator I do want, along with Averna and Emoti

while not a new card, i do also plan to pick up a Yidris, building cascade and while Big potato is the plan originally, i would like access to black as well (Would prefer access to white and black, as Cascade wurm is nice.

but yea I am not gonna drop 130 bucks on a box that isn's full of card I want. Not like dominaria where i got cards i wanted but a lot of jank too.

User avatar
Dunharrow
Posts: 798
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Montreal

Post by Dunharrow » 5 months ago

Araumi of the Dead Tide looks amazing.

I think Encore gets around 'additional costs'. Makes something like Goremand very strong.
Silvergill Adept too.

I find it should play very differently than any other general we have seen. I just don't know what the deck would look like. You could probably do a combo with Intruder Alarm pretty easily. Each activation will get you 3 alarm triggers. Maybe a Wizard deck?

I can't wait to brew with this. Might mean I never build Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow though. How many dimir decks can I have (I already have one).
Speaking of..
I could put it in Phenax, God of Deception. Big butt. Already have a lot of untap synergies. I can target myself with the mill when I want to dig for something. I imagine Encoring a Sewer Nemesis will win games.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

nobody
Posts: 36
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by nobody » 5 months ago

Candlemane wrote:
5 months ago


So with this spoiled, I just wanted to ask; is anyone else more excited for the rares than the mythics this set? I know I am.
I am much more excited about the uncommon's, since most of the partners and other legends are kind of over costed by a lot!

nobody
Posts: 36
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by nobody » 5 months ago

nobody wrote:
5 months ago
Candlemane wrote:
5 months ago


So with this spoiled, I just wanted to ask; is anyone else more excited for the rares than the mythics this set? I know I am.
I am much more excited about the uncommon's, since most of the partners and other legends are kind of over costed by a lot!
although I do like Nevinyrral, Urborg Tyrant, a lot

User avatar
Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Posts: 361
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Freiburg, Germany
Contact:

Post by Toshi » 5 months ago

Candlemane wrote:
5 months ago
I want a damn C3PO Alter for my Traxos, Scourge of Kroog deck! :love:

BeneTleilax
Posts: 603
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 5 months ago

I have to say, with the exception of Jotus, this set has the best rarity distribution of any recent booster product. The uncommons are good, the rares are interesting and the mythics are wacky and niche.

User avatar
Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Posts: 1443
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 5 months ago

Lolbold approves.

Speaking of Lolbold, I paired him up with Ardenn in a wonderfully shortsighted equipment garbagestorm heap. The deck has an average CMC of 2.0 and offers one of the most pure aggro experiences I have ever seen in EDH, down to how ridiculously it gets outscaled. Still, Lolbold plays by his own rules, and the deck's packed with various evasion pieces to make him sneak by gummed boards and kill people if desired. Last game I played with him I got him up to a double striking 79/29 with 25 pieces of equipment attached to him (only like a third of those were Bloodforged Battle-Axes). And I'm also eyeing Imoti - could build nondescript suboptimal goodstuff and have a place to hang my Trop. Fingers crossed.

Even the biggest sceptic in my group is currently overjoyed with the partners, the mono black ones specifically. What a set.
 
EDH Primers (click me!)
 
Deck is Kill Club
Show

User avatar
Gashnaw
Posts: 190
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 5 months ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
5 months ago
Candlemane wrote:
5 months ago
I want a damn C3PO Alter for my Traxos, Scourge of Kroog deck! :love:
No need for a C3P0 (O? No sure if it is a zero or the letter O)
Anyway, nice combo, pro colors and it is a decent deck to boot, Maybe I'll run it too.


Rumpy5897 wrote:
5 months ago
Lolbold approves.

Speaking of Lolbold, I paired him up with Ardenn in a wonderfully shortsighted equipment garbagestorm heap.
Okay... I like that. Do you have a decklist? I like the idea of a Aura/Equipment voltron build.

User avatar
Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Posts: 1443
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 5 months ago

I'll toss it up in a couple of days, I'm still on a super early build. Plus waiting for a leak card to officially come out.
 
EDH Primers (click me!)
 
Deck is Kill Club
Show

Couver
Posts: 45
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Couver » 5 months ago

Lathiel, the Bounteous Dawn

I'm in love. And the ability is pretty powerful.

User avatar
Gashnaw
Posts: 190
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 5 months ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
5 months ago
I'll toss it up in a couple of days, I'm still on a super early build. Plus waiting for a leak card to officially come out.
I am curious, if i equi Lolbold with the plate, would he have pro white? He is red, but my "commander" is R/W

User avatar
Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Posts: 532
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: In a Turn-Based World

Post by Guardman » 5 months ago

Gashnaw wrote:
5 months ago
Rumpy5897 wrote:
5 months ago
I'll toss it up in a couple of days, I'm still on a super early build. Plus waiting for a leak card to officially come out.
I am curious, if i equi Lolbold with the plate, would he have pro white? He is red, but my "commander" is R/W
No. Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh partnered with Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist gives you commander color identity of RW. So Commander's Plate would give pro-black, blue, green.

User avatar
Gashnaw
Posts: 190
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 5 months ago

Guardman wrote:
5 months ago
Gashnaw wrote:
5 months ago
Rumpy5897 wrote:
5 months ago
I'll toss it up in a couple of days, I'm still on a super early build. Plus waiting for a leak card to officially come out.
I am curious, if i equi Lolbold with the plate, would he have pro white? He is red, but my "commander" is R/W
No. Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh partnered with Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist gives you commander color identity of RW. So Commander's Plate would give pro-black, blue, green.
And purple, can't forget purple


Obeka, Brute Chronologist
There has to be some shenaigans one can pull off.

BounceBurnBuff
Posts: 61
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BounceBurnBuff » 5 months ago

Hullbreacher...

When hate effects stapled onto flash bodies for 3 cmc wasn't done enough this set.

User avatar
tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Posts: 613
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him
Location: York, PA

Post by tstorm823 » 5 months ago

BounceBurnBuff wrote:
5 months ago
Hullbreacher...

When hate effects stapled onto flash bodies for 3 cmc wasn't done enough this set.
Hullbreacher.

Oh, I cast a wheel effect? Guess the game is over. Oh, you cast a wheel effect? Flash! Guess the game is over.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

User avatar
Ginuqu
Posts: 323
Joined: 8 months ago
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 5 months ago

Shouldn't they be putting these good stuff punishers in red and white? Much as I approve of them I think they're a little poorly placed; they're just gonna be used by the excessive decks they're meant to compete with.
sorta mad at magic right now

User avatar
tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Posts: 613
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him
Location: York, PA

Post by tstorm823 » 5 months ago

Wizards: "What if we made a Smothering Tithe that also prevents the draw?"
Also wizards: "Give it flash and make it blue, perfect design."
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

BeneTleilax
Posts: 603
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 5 months ago

welp, Hullbreacher's stupid

User avatar
Cyberium
Posts: 509
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 5 months ago

BounceBurnBuff wrote:
5 months ago
Hullbreacher...

When hate effects stapled onto flash bodies for 3 cmc wasn't done enough this set.
Can someone explain to me why black gets an anti-search, blue get an anti-draw (that's also a ramp), when the supposed anti blue/black colors are not the ones getting punishing effects? W/R are the ones needing punishers/draw/ramps, yet WotC decided to buff U/B more?

The moment I saw Confounding Conundrum in Zendikar Rising, I know WotC has been biased with colors. Hell, Hullbreacher could've been white's ticket into Vintage and they gave it to blue?

User avatar
UnfulfilledDesires
Posts: 96
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: they / them
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 5 months ago

Do they believe hatebears are fun for casual play or are they intentionally making competitive cards? I'm confused. I love hatebears in cEDH & similar, but denying basic resources like drawing cards can feel awful in friendly games. I'm not sure what to think. Both this & Opposition Agent provide value while shutting other players down. It seems like they'll be everywhere unless they're super expensive. I guess this may push people into running more creature removal, which could be a good thing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”