Unreleased and New Card Discussion

User avatar
Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Posts: 140
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: they / them
Location: The Sixth Sphere of Phyrexia
Contact:

Post by Rorseph » 5 months ago

Gor Muldrak, Amphinologist has really caught my eye as tech for my Volrath deck. Anything that can potentially put a mess of tokens into play under an opponent's control is worth a look due to Nacatl War-Pride. This is the first card since Fiend Artisan or Chevill, Bane of Monsters that I've been truly excited about for that deck.
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures


Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

ilovesaprolings
Posts: 468
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ilovesaprolings » 5 months ago

Now that she has been officially revealed, can someone explain me the point of Jeska?

User avatar
ZenN
Posts: 444
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Canada

Post by ZenN » 5 months ago

Laboratory Servant

Oh look, another conditional Phyrexian Arena. I love less reliable versions of already mediocre cards! /s
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

User avatar
ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Posts: 1145
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: SD, USA

Post by ISBPathfinder » 5 months ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
5 months ago
Now that she has been officially revealed, can someone explain me the point of Jeska?
Jeska, Thrice Reborn

She tripples the combat damage of the partner commander ideally. It seems very efficient to play your other commander and then on the following turn follow up with Jeska and force tripple damage on them. It would be very easy to commander damage someone out through this. It also seems like it would be good potentially paired with Tana, the Bloodsower to throw out a random partner that has value beyond just punching the face. Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker seems like a good example of a commander that trippling the damage output of could result in a one shot kill.
[EDH] Sram (auras) | Bruna | Heliod | Sai | Naban | Anje

Wallycaine
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 5 months ago

ZenN wrote:
5 months ago
Laboratory Servant

Oh look, another conditional Phyrexian Arena. I love less reliable versions of already mediocre cards! /s
Worth noting that it triggers on each end step, not just yours. So while it will often be a single card a cycle, if you can reliably cast out of the graveyard/activate abilities on other's turns, it can draw you more than that. Additionally, having a body is a relevant thing, especially at a 3/4 that can deter some attackers.

User avatar
ZenN
Posts: 444
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Canada

Post by ZenN » 5 months ago

Wallycaine wrote:
5 months ago
ZenN wrote:
5 months ago
Laboratory Servant

Oh look, another conditional Phyrexian Arena. I love less reliable versions of already mediocre cards! /s
Worth noting that it triggers on each end step, not just yours. So while it will often be a single card a cycle, if you can reliably cast out of the graveyard/activate abilities on other's turns, it can draw you more than that. Additionally, having a body is a relevant thing, especially at a 3/4 that can deter some attackers.
Oh, does it? The translation I saw just said YOUR end step. Definitely a little better if it's on opponents' end steps as well. Could be decent with a lot of flashback instants and such.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

User avatar
ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Posts: 1145
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: SD, USA

Post by ISBPathfinder » 5 months ago

Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh

Oh wow, I really never thought I would ever see a zero cast commander. Thats cool.
[EDH] Sram (auras) | Bruna | Heliod | Sai | Naban | Anje

User avatar
Dragoon
Posts: 242
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dragoon » 5 months ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
5 months ago
Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh

Oh wow, I really never thought I would ever see a zero cast commander. Thats cool.
Probably my favourite one so far! I love the design, it's stupid and fun xD
Decklist(s) on this forum: WUBRG [Golos] Maelstrom 2: Erratic Boogaloo (randomness themed deck) WUBRG

User avatar
not-a-cube
Posts: 88
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Belgium

Post by not-a-cube » 5 months ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
5 months ago
Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh

Oh wow, I really never thought I would ever see a zero cast commander. Thats cool.
Agreed, that's pretty cool, I suppose the red dot next to its card types indicates it's color identity? because else this is colorless and not red.
EDH Decks:
Queen Marchesa
Chainer, Dementia Master
Will Kenrith
Bruna, the fading light

User avatar
JWK
Elder Thing
Posts: 343
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Post by JWK » 5 months ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
5 months ago
ilovesaprolings wrote:
5 months ago
Now that she has been officially revealed, can someone explain me the point of Jeska?
Jeska, Thrice Reborn

She tripples the combat damage of the partner commander ideally. It seems very efficient to play your other commander and then on the following turn follow up with Jeska and force tripple damage on them. It would be very easy to commander damage someone out through this. It also seems like it would be good potentially paired with Tana, the Bloodsower to throw out a random partner that has value beyond just punching the face. Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker seems like a good example of a commander that trippling the damage output of could result in a one shot kill.
If only her ability didn't specifiy combat damage, she would be so good as one of the 99 in Ruric Thar. As is, yeah, she is going to make some flying partner commander like Ishai pretty deadly. That's probably not the most dangerious thing possible in terms of partner commanders.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Wallycaine
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 5 months ago

not-a-cube wrote:
5 months ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
5 months ago
Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh

Oh wow, I really never thought I would ever see a zero cast commander. Thats cool.
Agreed, that's pretty cool, I suppose the red dot next to its card types indicates it's color identity? because else this is colorless and not red.
Yeah, that's a color identity. He's red, like the other Kobolds. It's an interesting pile of keywords he got, so you've really got to buff him a ton to get some usefullness out of them. Either that, or have a plan to abuse his zero cost nature.

Wallycaine
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 5 months ago

JWK wrote:
5 months ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
5 months ago
ilovesaprolings wrote:
5 months ago
Now that she has been officially revealed, can someone explain me the point of Jeska?
Jeska, Thrice Reborn

She tripples the combat damage of the partner commander ideally. It seems very efficient to play your other commander and then on the following turn follow up with Jeska and force tripple damage on them. It would be very easy to commander damage someone out through this. It also seems like it would be good potentially paired with Tana, the Bloodsower to throw out a random partner that has value beyond just punching the face. Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker seems like a good example of a commander that trippling the damage output of could result in a one shot kill.
If only her ability didn't specifiy combat damage, she would be so good as one of the 99 in Ruric Thar. As is, yeah, she is going to make some flying partner commander like Ishai pretty deadly. That's probably not the most dangerious thing possible in terms of partner commanders.
The other big thing she does is act as repeatable removal in the command zone. As long as you've cast her partner first, 2R "deal 2 damage to up to 3 targets" isn't a terrible spell to have access to, and can ramp up from there. Plus, you still have the option of tripling any combat damage creature, not just her partner, and still threatening that burn if they get back to you.

User avatar
Serenade
UnderKing
Posts: 752
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Serenade » 5 months ago

Serenade wrote:
5 months ago
Dargo shenanigans

T1: artifact land, Sol Ring
T2: mountain, Claim the Firstborn, Dargo
T2 (opponent): PTE
...I guess Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh and Tentative Connection can work their way into there, too. Good grief.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

User avatar
Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Posts: 127
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 5 months ago

Rograkh puts a smile on my face, that's for sure. Not really convinced there's anything worth doing with him though.

User avatar
ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Posts: 1145
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: SD, USA

Post by ISBPathfinder » 5 months ago

Lifeless wrote:
5 months ago
Rograkh puts a smile on my face, that's for sure. Not really convinced there's anything worth doing with him though.
My immediate thoughts on who to pair him with and or what to do with him:
  • Reyhan, Last of the Abzan - Could do sort of a sac / counters strategy. Having a free cast commander could help in that having something worth putting Reyhan's counters on that curves ahead of him can be relevant. As soon as Reyhan would be in play you could combat trick counters around with a sac outlet making blocking challenging for opponents. Opal Palace was a card that I thought was kind of amusing for both commanders here and you pick up green land search options with Reyhan so thats kind of cool.
  • Akiri, Line-Slinger - Equipment seems like a natural synergy with Rograkh and Akiri likes them too. Both commanders having first strike means you could just lean into more power style of equipment if you want. Picking up white with an equipment strategy is also probably a good thing as there is plenty of equipment synergy in the two colors.
Those were the two that jumped out to me the most at least as of right now.
[EDH] Sram (auras) | Bruna | Heliod | Sai | Naban | Anje

User avatar
Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Posts: 127
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 5 months ago

Akiri is actually pretty interesting since they're both so incredibly low to the ground.

Wallycaine
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 5 months ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
5 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
5 months ago
Rograkh puts a smile on my face, that's for sure. Not really convinced there's anything worth doing with him though.
My immediate thoughts on who to pair him with and or what to do with him:
  • Reyhan, Last of the Abzan - Could do sort of a sac / counters strategy. Having a free cast commander could help in that having something worth putting Reyhan's counters on that curves ahead of him can be relevant. As soon as Reyhan would be in play you could combat trick counters around with a sac outlet making blocking challenging for opponents. Opal Palace was a card that I thought was kind of amusing for both commanders here and you pick up green land search options with Reyhan so thats kind of cool.
  • Akiri, Line-Slinger - Equipment seems like a natural synergy with Rograkh and Akiri likes them too. Both commanders having first strike means you could just lean into more power style of equipment if you want. Picking up white with an equipment strategy is also probably a good thing as there is plenty of equipment synergy in the two colors.
Those were the two that jumped out to me the most at least as of right now.
Another cute one that Gavin pointed out on twitter is Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools: He likes having cheap sac fodder guarenteed, and it's even better that it's a commander, so you can draw the extra card off Tevesh's +1. Plus, it gives you access to red, so you can combine Tevesh's sac engine with steal effects.

User avatar
Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Posts: 573
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Post by Hawk » 5 months ago

So far I'm sorta shocked at how little of this set really interests me. The most exciting things are Three Visits at uncommon so I can maybe nab a few and Path of Ancestry at common, which I need about 10 copies of. I know part of the idea is to make new commanders but I'm just not that enthused yet, not even about lore characters I've wanted for ages like Glacian + Rebbec, Architect of Ascension or Belbe, Corrupted Observer - although Belbe may replace Nath as a more aggressive Elf-tribal Commander?

Even a card that seems tailor-made for a deck archetype I run, like Laboratory Servant, feels like more a side-grade than a raw upgrade.

I dunno, maybe I'm just in such a funk from not playing Commander in months and from the whole Secret Dead fiasco that I'm not thinking fourth dimensionally enough?

User avatar
Serenade
UnderKing
Posts: 752
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Serenade » 5 months ago

I'll add that I feel like I'm still digesting the Eldraine and Theros 2.0 legends..........let alone everything that has been shoved at us since then.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

User avatar
Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Posts: 140
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: they / them
Location: The Sixth Sphere of Phyrexia
Contact:

Post by Rorseph » 5 months ago

Serenade wrote:
5 months ago
I'll add that I feel like I'm still digesting the Eldraine and Theros 2.0 legends..........let alone everything that has been shoved at us since then.
It's been a %$#% firehose of product this past year. It's like, "I want off this ride, WotC!"
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures


Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

BeneTleilax
Posts: 603
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 5 months ago

Suit yourselves. I love sidegrades, they create diversity without causing powercreep. There's no Arcane Signet or Extorionist yet that holds a gun to my head and demands I buy it, but I think that's good.

User avatar
JWK
Elder Thing
Posts: 343
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Post by JWK » 5 months ago

I think there are some pretty fantastic cards here, particularly when it comes to ones that fill a niche need, like hosing ramp and tutors or making aggro strategies (and commander-damage kills) more viable. But whenever I start to feel pretty up about it, we get a spoiler featuring something really broken like new Kodama or the Simic serpent, and that tends to kill my buzz. But not enough to not appreciate something like Belbe or the lizard, thankfully, but still.

Beyond that, the sheer amount of product we've been getting is honestly pretty overwhelming. I have found that there are just a lot more good and interesting cards than you can possibly fit into decks, and that's kind of crazy when you consider I have 66 active decks. I haven't even figured out which decks most need a copy of Luminous Broodmoth, and there have been an awful lot of potentially playable cards released since then.

And then, yeah, the Secret Dead thing and Wizards' complete lack of an actual response to it, that puts kind of a damper on everything for me, too. People outside Wizards but who have contact with them have told us we can expect more of the same for awhile at least, and Wizards' silence on the matter just reinforces that idea. It sucks that those concerns put a damper on enthusiasm for a product which has nothing to do with that, and which Gavin and his crew put so much work into and which has so many nifty aspects to it, but it is what it is. I have some trouble being excited about forking over a lot of money to a company we clearly cannot trust to do the right thing by its customers or even for the good of the game.
Last edited by JWK 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

User avatar
JWK
Elder Thing
Posts: 343
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Post by JWK » 5 months ago

For those bummed about missing playing paper magic, btw, unless you simply can't afford the set-up costs for a good webcam, mounting device and headphone/mic setup - which is legit, because the cost is not insignificant - I really do recomend trying to do some distance play via webcam. I resisted that for a long time due mostly to my being a tech dummy and too overwhelmed with work and COVID and lots of other things to put the effort into figuring it out, but since I recently started playing some games online with actual cards, I have felt substantially better. Spelltable is really pretty nifty.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

ilovesaprolings
Posts: 468
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ilovesaprolings » 5 months ago

This set will spawn many new decks and this decks won't be powercreep monsters. I like this a lot. We still need to see many tricolor legendaries. Personally i hope for an abzan elf tribal.

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 707
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 5 months ago

Dragoon wrote:
5 months ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
5 months ago
Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh

Oh wow, I really never thought I would ever see a zero cast commander. Thats cool.
Probably my favourite one so far! I love the design, it's stupid and fun xD
Commander Tax will be easy to keep track of with it lol 2,4,6 etc
ISBPathfinder wrote:
5 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
5 months ago
Rograkh puts a smile on my face, that's for sure. Not really convinced there's anything worth doing with him though.
My immediate thoughts on who to pair him with and or what to do with him:
  • Akiri, Line-Slinger - Equipment seems like a natural synergy with Rograkh and Akiri likes them too. Both commanders having first strike means you could just lean into more power style of equipment if you want. Picking up white with an equipment strategy is also probably a good thing as there is plenty of equipment synergy in the two colors.
Those were the two that jumped out to me the most at least as of right now.
stop reading my mind...
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”