Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

You could certainly keep track with dice easy enough, although it would be tedious. I doubt I'll ever see this at our table but even if we did it would get hated out pretty fast for being annoying.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Just straight up sheets of paper, mark a big A, a B, and G clearly on each, and hand one of each to each player.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

If sectors were just on your battlefield, I could see a reasonable way to track them. Adding sectors to your opponents is the issue, because they likely won't have the prepared materials to make it clear.

"Alright, so I cast space jace, quick everyone pull out your dedicated sectors playmat and move your stuff over. Oh, you don't have one? Just a minute, let me pull out my 3+spare playmats for this situation. Don't forget how many dice you had representing tokens, and to divide them intelligently across your sectors." It just doesn't work well in my mind.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Crazy Monkey wrote:
1 year ago
Adding sectors to your opponents is the issue, because they likely won't have the prepared materials to make it clear.
Well, yeah, it's entirely on the Space Jace player to bring a stack of paper with them, just like any other tokens and counters and emblems and dungeons and whatnot they might need.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
Seems like a complete nightmare to keep track of everything. Its like it gives each creature shadow 1, shadow 2 and shadow 3.
Is it though? All you need is a playmat with three different colors, or three different-colored sheets of paper, or even a piece of carton, a shoe box, etc.
or a shredder :evil:
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Who cares? The card is bad and won't see play.
It will in commander, we play tons of bad cards.

I don't know I have yet to like ANY of the eternal legal UN cards. I enjoy reading UN cards and going "haha, that's funny" actually playing UN cards has never really been any fun in my experience.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

....yeah, I'm not really seeing the issue with Space Beleren. Divide your creatures into left / middle / right piles, and separate them with a line of dice or something.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to decide if I want to evaluate / comment on acorn cards, given that I'm unlikely to actually play any of them. I think I'll still respond to the legends (since they could conceivably lead a deck), but I'll probably skip the other ones.

On that note, Ignacio of Myra's Marvels seems pretty absurd, although that's also a hefty card restriction. Partner opens up a lot of options though - I imagine you could make a mono-red fire deck pretty easily, but water would be trickier, for example. Still, that much treasure production definitely seems open to shenanigans.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
It will in commander, we play tons of bad cards.
It's less annoying than Warp World or Thieves' Auction, and as always, the correct response is to kill them first.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Less annoying than Warp World \ Thieves is perhaps the lowest bar I've ever seen proposed here.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
Less annoying than Warp World \ Thieves is perhaps the lowest bar I've ever seen proposed here.
Fair.

But, statistically, how many games do those cards actually ruin? Space Jace, who is less disruptive and easier to interact with, will be even less annoying than that. We can talk about whether or not a meme card should be non-acorn, but in terms of impact I think this is way overblown.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Far Out MIGHT be useful, if you're running enough cards with different modes

EDIT: Image I hope to one day give this lifelink and then get to less than one but more than zero health.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunadain
I like turtles

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Far Out MIGHT be useful, if you're running enough cards with different modes

EDIT: Image I hope to one day give this lifelink and then get to less than one but more than zero health.
We've had all of these cards for a long time now, and they are all much easier to give life link to:

https://scryfall.com/search?q=pow%3D.5 ... order=name

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Dunadain
I like turtles

Bruh, why is far out not eternal legal, that actually sounds fun unlike most of the eternal legal UN cards they are making.

I even did a quick scry fall search to see if any modal cards would be broken with it, Demonic Pact seems bonkers (assuming it works the way I think it is, with Far out being a replacement effect that allows you to choose options 1-3 every turn) and a number of cards seem really strong, but nothing that makes me think this couldn't have been printed as a non-acorn card.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

You know, when Un-sets were silver-bordered, I found them quaint and somewhat cute. Hmm, maybe I'll try a draft of an unset sometime with friends. Now that Un-sets are being forcibly shoved down our throats, I despise everything about them. In an effort to make more players play with goofball wacky cards, they've just made more players dislike said cards.

I have to give credit to Wizard's, they set out to make a joke set, and they succeeded. It's an absolute joke of a set.

To elaborate, Rosewater loves un-sets, but was annoyed not enough people were playing them, so the obvious solution is to force people to play against them in other formats. Rather than asking why people weren't playing un-sets, you just assume it's the border putting people off.

I think it was the fact that most of the un-sets have had bad designs, and when I watched the gameplay for them, to me they looked un-fun and un-interesting.

So instead of fixing the un-sets and making them more fun to play for everyone and keeping them silver bordered, you just double down on the bad design and make them black border. Genius.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

i feel the opposite! I love seeing them writing insane impractical things on cards like this and don't believe it's bad design - you approach Unglued knowing that there's gonna be an element of deliberate awkwardness but I like that in a game and I liked it in the early sets. making them black border is questionable though, seems like a way of sidestepping rule zero

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

Attempted Murder will be the new black X spell wincon we all need to be wary of! I think this goes in my Kiku deck . . .

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
You know, when Un-sets were silver-bordered, I found them quaint and somewhat cute. Hmm, maybe I'll try a draft of an unset sometime with friends. Now that Un-sets are being forcibly shoved down our throats, I despise everything about them. In an effort to make more players play with goofball wacky cards, they've just made more players dislike said cards.

I have to give credit to Wizard's, they set out to make a joke set, and they succeeded. It's an absolute joke of a set.

To elaborate, Rosewater loves un-sets, but was annoyed not enough people were playing them, so the obvious solution is to force people to play against them in other formats. Rather than asking why people weren't playing un-sets, you just assume it's the border putting people off.

I think it was the fact that most of the un-sets have had bad designs, and when I watched the gameplay for them, to me they looked un-fun and un-interesting.

So instead of fixing the un-sets and making them more fun to play for everyone and keeping them silver bordered, you just double down on the bad design and make them black border. Genius.
Yeah as I've mentioned a couple times we have an Un-cube in our group that everyone loves and heavily supported the previous sets. None of us are enthusiastic about this set at all. Not that they care about pushing folks like me away when they pick up some portion of the eternal format players, but it will most likely be a complete pass for us.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 1 year ago

Gamazson wrote:
1 year ago

Mandate of Abaddon is actually really interesting. I may pick up a copy if it shows up on the secondary market. I have 2 black decks, Greven, Predator Captain and Grimgrin, Corpse-Born. Both lean towards being battlecruisers; knocking out the small stuff in the way is super helpful.
Reminds me of rebel v.s. mercenary different. White's rebels search upward, while black mercenaries search downward.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
BeneTleilax wrote:
1 year ago
I don't think Wizards gets to sell jokes about how overused and silly Jace is while they're still cramming into every plot and refusing to develop his character since Ixalan.
Are they still doing this? I dont follow the story that much anymore but after Ixalan Jace was like a sidekick in WAR and also a sidekick in Zendikar 3.0, right? I feel like they slowed down the jacentric stuff a bit
Yeah he hasn't been in a story since Zendikar 3 (where he was one of the main characters with Nissa and Nahiri) and before that was being in Wots (where he was a side -lead character) so he's been featured once this while Phyrexia arc.

And imo he's character also got some change /growth if even the stories didn't have the pacing to explore it. His whole thing in Zendikar 3 was his trauma and guilt over Gideon's death and keeping the secret that Bolas is alive lead him to overcompensate with trying to help Nahiri and Nissa and messing up so bad that ended both of them end up hating him and him having to accept that and hoping he might be able to someday redeem himself.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Bruh, why is far out not eternal legal, that actually sounds fun unlike most of the eternal legal UN cards they are making.

I even did a quick scry fall search to see if any modal cards would be broken with it, Demonic Pact seems bonkers (assuming it works the way I think it is, with Far out being a replacement effect that allows you to choose options 1-3 every turn) and a number of cards seem really strong, but nothing that makes me think this couldn't have been printed as a non-acorn card.
The short version is "rules reasons". It turns out that the game doesn't enjoy it when you create a card with multiple characteristics with Outlaws' Merriment or try to give a card multiple power and toughnesses with Wild Shape. So they'd either have to do some massive errata to the cards that would make the wording unprintably long, or create a bunch of rules for weird corner cases that could come up. Or, they print it with an acorn, and say "you know what this means, come up with an answer on your own for the corner cases".

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago

To elaborate, Rosewater loves un-sets, but was annoyed not enough people were playing them, so the obvious solution is to force people to play against them in other formats. Rather than asking why people weren't playing un-sets, you just assume it's the border putting people off..
Considering Unstabled was one of the best side sets they did at the time, they didn't need to "make people play more".
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Unstable was a terrible draft experience.

Whoever convinced maro that randomness is the most fun part of magic should be tried at The Hague.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles

Wallycaine wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago

The short version is "rules reasons". It turns out that the game doesn't enjoy it when you create a card with multiple characteristics with Outlaws' Merriment or try to give a card multiple power and toughnesses with Wild Shape. So they'd either have to do some massive errata to the cards that would make the wording unprintably long, or create a bunch of rules for weird corner cases that could come up. Or, they print it with an acorn, and say "you know what this means, come up with an answer on your own for the corner cases".
I'm not a judge, but I don't see either of theses interactions as posting any difficulty for the rules.

Far Out is a replacement effect, so for Outlaws' Merriment you could pick any number and it wouldn't have to be randomly picked, (similar to not having to pay life to keep a Golgari Thug that you dredged with Sylvan Library) A strong interaction for sure but not one that breaks the rules I don't think.

As for Wild Shape, just like Cryptic Command when you chose multiple options, the options resolve in the order they are written, and when multiple power/toughness affects apply to a object, the most recent effect applies so, assuming you chose all three modes, if would first become a 1/3, then a 1/5, then a 3/3, and it will keep all the abilities. Really not that different than casting Serpentine Ambush then Turn to Frog on the same creature.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

@Dunadain reread outlaws merriment. You don't create 3 separate tokens, you create 1 token with all 3 sets of p/t/attributes.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”