Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Ruiner
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

If I were to use Stickers, and I don't think I would because of the super random variance involved, I would print up a sheet that has the contents of all 10 sticker sheets, randomize what three I get each game with some dice, and then just use a stack of tiny post it notes whenever I need one.

The idea of fancier counters is fine to me, but as implemented it feels way too wild on variance and fiddly to deal with.

ukkuhrmakhai
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by ukkuhrmakhai » 1 year ago

Ruiner wrote:
1 year ago
The idea of fancier counters is fine to me, but as implemented it feels way too wild on variance and fiddly to deal with.
This is my feeling 100%. It seems like it plays okay under "normal" play just testing it out but then someone plays blessed respite on your graveyard or cyclonic rift and everyone has to wait for you to remove your stickers.
The 10 sheets, roll for 3 at the start of the game also feels like unnecessary randomness. It will probably keep the stickers from becoming relevant in constructed as a combo piece because you can't rely on access to the stickers you need but having extra stuff to roll for at the beginning of each game is kind of annoying.
However, the inclusion of the ______ cards as constructed playable seems like a mistake. The rules are pretty straightforward but counting the values each time and waiting while people try to figure out what word is the best value is pointless time sink.

Attractions are basically artifact sagas that you roll for. They're fairly easy to answer, impossible to recur and trigger once at the beginning of the main phase. Outside of getting a chance to open an attraction in a non attraction deck which is unlikely you can also treat them as regular artifacts that roll a dice at the beginning of the main phase.

I like the design of tunnel of love Tunnel of Love, it gives your opponent a choice but then you get the final say on if the relationship works out.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

The fact that stickers persist in the CZ is definitely an interesting wrinkle. And there are some pretty strong ability stickers. Still, really hard to do any planning when they're randomized. And the only commander that really helps enable the archetype is Ambassador Blorpityblorpbloop, who doesn't really do anything else unless you put p/t stickers onto other creatures, which probably isn't that useful. But you could just do a blink deck with him and rack up abilities on him. Some of the abilities synergize with blinking a bit too.

Putting random abilities permanently onto your commander seems pretty strong in general, but the hassle of dealing with stickers will probably put me off it outside of dedicated sticker decks, which i can really only imagine with the ambassador.
ukkuhrmakhai wrote:
1 year ago
I like the design of tunnel of love Tunnel of Love, it gives your opponent a choice but then you get the final say on if the relationship works out.
Tunnel of love is probably one of the best top-down designs in the set. "Otherwise, the chosen creatures fight each other" is excellent. Seems pretty strong too.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Using the randomizer tool isn't going to be optimized, though. A card like Fight the _______ Fight you can guarantee having a sufficiently long word for, if you pick the sheets yourself. If you rely on the randomizer, there's a chance you whiff.
Just wanted to point out that the procedure for sticker sheets is that you'll have 10 unique sheets, then choose 3 at random. The randomizer picks 3 sheets at random and is for when you don't have the physical sheets.

So even with the physical sheets you might "whiff".
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I probably won't do anything with stickers, but the attraction cards interest me - there are some fairly efficient options like "Lifetime" Pass Holder and Deadbeat Attendant. I see Dusk Legion Zealot, Thraben Inspector, and Elvish Visionary played somewhat regularly - cheap creatures that generate a bit of value and leave a body behind. Would I play the attraction makers over them? Not sure, but seems worth consideration, particularly in slower metas. Information Booth effectively draws one card every three turns, so a T2 Deadbeat Attendant would, on average, draw two cards over the course of an 8-turn game. Obviously, the exact attraction you open will vary, and it will be vulnerable to artifact removal, and drawing a card immediately is generally worth more than drawing a card later... but still, could be good.

DirkGently

@Sporegorger_Dragon there are at least 8 sheets containing an 8+ letter word. You can guarantee hitting with physical sheets.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sporegorger_Dragon

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
@Sporegorger_Dragon there are at least 8 sheets containing an 8+ letter word. You can guarantee hitting with physical sheets.
I went and checked; there are 21 sticker sheets with at least one 8+ letter word. So, playing with the physical sheets, you indeed can absolutely guarantee hitting a 8+ letter word if you pick 10 sheets from among those 21.

So this makes me wonder; will the Randomizer also allow you to choose 10 sheets to pick out your random 3?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I think any way you slice it, @DirkGently has sufficiently illustrated why stickers in any capacity are a nuisance. I know we won't know until we know, but I plan to forsake stickers entirely outside of limited (doubt I'll draft this though). If they come up, they might as well be energy counters. I just can't utilize them, and that's okay. My decks are good enough at killing without going to the carnival.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
I went and checked; there are 21 sticker sheets with at least one 8+ letter word. So, playing with the physical sheets, you indeed can absolutely guarantee hitting a 8+ letter word if you pick 10 sheets from among those 21.

So this makes me wonder; will the Randomizer also allow you to choose 10 sheets to pick out your random 3?
I got the impression that is the case which was also why needing the physical sheets isn't needed and why in theory you wouldn't have to worry about getting them in the future or worry about physical sheets deteriorating from time and/or use.

And considering you will always guarantee a sticker sheet with a name stick with 8+ words @DirkGently I think you could just use a dice as the sticker call it good. Might need to explain its a guarantee to your play group but unless you're playing in sanction events or your playgroups are being rule lawyers you don't even need to bother picking out sheets or using the randomizer.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 1 year ago

The amount of houserules and hacks needed to make stickers not suck to use shows more than anything why they shouldn't be a mechanic. And they're not even the only thing that requires fiddly setup and preparation to use; attractions suffer from this issue as well. That the same set introduces two gamepieces outside the deck (and outside other stuff most experience players carry around, ime, like dice) that a player needs indicates poor design and a lack of adequate testing. It's something I did in my really early custom designs in highschool, cards that required spinners, rulers and other crap to work, and as such to me it speaks to an insulated designer that cares more about how mechanics read and can be built than how fun or even practical they are to physically play with.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

man I'm such an old fuddy duddy but I frigging hate all the new crap you have to carry around :( I hate having to track the mental load of how many stickers someone has something, which attractions are out, whatever. I'm just not interested. Dungeons are frigging irritating too. Just so much little text for my old eyes across the table. Where are you at in each dungeon and what's going to happen to me? Who knows?

Magic shouldn't need so many extra gamepieces and they sure as hell shouldn't be randomly distributed in packs.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Yeah, as much as I like the concept of sticker on paper, realistically it's going to be a hassle.

Like I can already envision the gummy residue left by the sticker, and your cards sticking to each other, and holding up play while you pry off each sticker when a creature gets bounced to your hand.

And if you're going to use paper slips, well that takes away half the fun of it.

DirkGently

1 year ago

Of note - you only need 8 hits since you choose 3. Can't miss 3 times with only 2 misses in the deck. Doesn't matter for this particular case but it could for others.

Tbh another question comes to mind though - at what point do you need to declare your sticker deck? Are you allowed to fabricate the deck in response to getting someone else's Fight the _______ Fight? Or do you need to declare it before the game? Is a randomly generated stack implied if you haven't declared one?

Having the option to select a stack of 10 sticker sheets on the randomizer would sure be nice. I hope that's an option. Still a pain to write stuff out on paper or whatever, though. Dice are fine when there's only one or two stickers in play, but beyond that it gets pretty unwieldy without pen and paper. Not to mention, since the sheets are presumably public information, your opponents need to be able to look through your available sticker sheets to determine if something you're about to place is going to influence their future plans, so that's a whole thing. Are they allowed to do that even if nobody has played any sticker-related cards yet? Can an opponent in a standard tournament derail the game by demanding to see his opponent's sticker sheets?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 1 year ago

In a standard tournament, stickers are not legal, so there's no sticker deck to go through. Assuming you meant Legacy, I would presume sticker declaration (or lack thereof) is determined as part of the decklist. So if you don't have a sticker deck registered, there's again nothing to go through.

DirkGently

It's kinda funny that, despite being arguably the stupidest kind of stickers, the art stickers are the easiest ones to manage rules-wise. It never matters what's on the sticker specifically, so you can just use whatever kind of marker you like, regardless of whether you prepared sticker sheets or not. It's basically just charge counters with a different name, except that they move between public zones (and I guess there's a limit of 9).

I think the name stickers are the thing I dislike the most. At least the ability stickers have some interesting applications despite the logistics. The name stickers are just obnoxious. Hang on, let me count up all the different vowels so I can optimize my commander deck. That sounds like a lot of fun :sick:
Wallycaine wrote:
1 year ago
In a standard tournament, stickers are not legal, so there's no sticker deck to go through. Assuming you meant Legacy, I would presume sticker declaration (or lack thereof) is determined as part of the decklist. So if you don't have a sticker deck registered, there's again nothing to go through.
I did mean standard, to take the idea to the most absurd possibility. In legacy, having a sticker collection actually maybe becomes the default procedure, just in case, which is fairly ridiculous. You don't lose anything by having it. Same for an attraction deck. I think the sticker cards are generally pretty conservative, though? So while people will probably have sticker piles with them "just in case" I think it's likely they'll die off as it becomes clear that stickers aren't going to be a relevant part of the format. For commander, though, who knows.

If I'm in a legacy tournament, though, and my opponent is like "lemme look at yo' stickers" and I'm like "I thought stickers weren't relevant?" and they're like "okay, so you're declaring that you have no stickers whatsoever? So if you acquire a sticker card you won't be able to get anything?" I'm probably going to get nervous that I've somehow screwed myself by not bringing a stack of sticker sheets, and pull out the randomizer. Or I would if I played legacy.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Okay, I went through all the stickers and did a bit of analysis. I'll share some notes.

The p/t stickers follow a pretty straightforward formula. For 2 tickets, you get total p/t = 5-6. For 3, 8-9. 4 = 11-12. 5 = 14-15. 6 = 20 (10/10 only). For 2 tickets, 1 is the minimum number of power or toughness. For 3, 2. For 4, 4. For 5, 6. For 6, 10.

As far as ability stickers, the standouts for me are:
vampire champion fury - 4 tickets for "{2} sac this creature: deal X damage divided between creatures, where x=power." With a deathtouch commander this could be pretty spicy, or just high-power. Either way, repeatable removal and a built-in sac outlet seems strong.
weird angel flame - 3 tickets for "protection from even mana values." Pretty decent protection, evasion, and blocking. Even seems better than odd since tokens and lands are even.
unassuming gelatinous serpent - 2 tickets for "When this permanent dies, return target noncreature nonland card from your graveyard to hand". This might be the most busted of them all. Any noncreature card becomes even-harder-to-remove The Scarab God, or you can put it on something that self-recurs (Bloodghast etc) to keep reusing time magic or whatever. Or just put it onto a free noncreature artifact and you have infinite artifact sacs. For only 2 tickets too.
yawgmonth merfolk soul 5 tickets for "when this permanent leaves, create 5 1/1 artifact creatures". Any commander that blinks, or a deck with a blink theme, can make this pretty insane. Ambassador Blorpityblorpbloop seems like the easiest sticker-focused commander, and he wants to blink, so this seems perfect there.
snazzy aether homunculus - 2 tickets for "{1}: target creature has changeling". Changeling enables lots of shenanigans, but Sliver Overlord comes to mind. Being able to target friendly or enemy is interesting. Also, 3 tickets for "magecraft: draw a card". Obviously very strong for any spellslinger deck, 3 tickets is a steal.
giant mana cake - 4 tickets for "when this permanent dies, destroy target nonland". Dying is trickier than leaving the battlefield, but on a commander or a Bloodghast this seems very potent.
slimy burrito illusion - 3 tickets for "double strike". Voltron's best friend.
happy dead squirrel - 3 tickets for "infect". Voltron's other best friend. Plus it works with Heartless Hidetsugu and other non-combat commanders, so it's even better.
carnival elephant meteor - 2 tickets for "sacrifice this permanent, draw 2 cards". Strong on any commander, but insane on anything that wants to die anyway. Don't even get me started on bloodghast. Also 3 tickets for "when this attacks, proliferate." Proliferate is strong for obvious reasons, and you can play a planeswalker and proliferate before using abilities even.
zombie cheese magician - 4 tickets for "when this deals combat damage to a player, draw that many". Turning an evasive commander into a hand refiller is obviously strong.
unsanctioned ancient juggler - 4 tickets for "indestructible". Straightforward enough.
night brushwagg ringmaster - 3 tickets for "persist". Less effective than indestructible in most cases, but cheaper and ofc there are shenanigans with things that remove -1/-1 counters. Any creature that enters with +1/+1s goes infinite, for one thing. So there's that.
misunderstood trapeze elf - 3 tickets for "hexproof". Straightforward enough.
eldrazi guacamole tightrope - 5 tickets for "you may cast this from grave by paying 2 life". Kinda expensive compared to indestructible, but beats more kinds of removal and you can do etb combos etc.
phyrexian midway bamboozle - 3 tickets for "undying". Better in a vacuum than persist, but less combo potential. They go great together, though.

Does anyone know how to pull these up on scryfall? The only place I've found a good list of them is mythicspoiler.
Last edited by DirkGently 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
God Bless MaRo

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
I generally like LRR, and I don't think they had a hand in the garbage mechanics of the set, just the names and flavortext, which are at replacement-levels of dumb for an un-set. I imagine they've gotten blasted by trolls over this who don't understand the limits of their role in it, which likely explains this tweet, but still, I'd generally imagined this sort of "lol haters mad" response beneath them.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

We will get new BW cards tomorrow, which will give us some sweet new drama to discuss, so hopefully we dont stick (hehehe) to this one for long

Sporegorger_Dragon

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Does anyone know how to pull these up on scryfall?
You mean like links? They're on a separate page like the tokens:

https://scryfall.com/sets/sunf

Edit: Also thanks for the concise notes, very helpful!

DirkGently

1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Does anyone know how to pull these up on scryfall?
You mean like links? They're on a separate page like the tokens:

https://scryfall.com/sets/sunf

Edit: Also thanks for the concise notes, very helpful!
yw :grin:

Huh, I think they've been moving stuff around because I swear earlier when I clinked on the unfinity preview from the main page, it included sunf in the sets, but didn't have any stickers (I'm pretty sure, lot of cards to scroll through though). Now, the unfinity preview page doesn't include sunf, but sunf does work.

Well, kinda. It only has 33 stickers but I'm pretty sure there are 48, or at least there are on mythicspoiler, so scryfall is missing at least 15.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sporegorger_Dragon

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Well, kinda. It only has 33 stickers but I'm pretty sure there are 48, or at least there are on mythicspoiler, so scryfall is missing at least 15.
Yeah, there are 48, you can see in the bottom left of the sheet that they're all numbered out of 48.

EDIT: Bottom left, not right. What is wrong with me?

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
1 year ago
I generally like LRR, and I don't think they had a hand in the garbage mechanics of the set, just the names and flavortext, which are at replacement-levels of dumb for an un-set. I imagine they've gotten blasted by trolls over this who don't understand the limits of their role in it, which likely explains this tweet, but still, I'd generally imagined this sort of "lol haters mad" response beneath them.
Eh, I mean, have you heard Beej's segments on Checkpoint? Graham too, and Kathleen when she makes her appearances, but Beej especially. It's on a different channel than their Magic stuff, but it's some of the same people (and it's damn funny). It just rankles a bit here because we're among the crowd that has serious issues this time. For a Twitter response to Twitter levels of discourse, it absolutely tracks. And as a response to Twitter levels of discourse, it's probably deserved. Very little good ever comes out of that site IMHO. It's where nuance and good takes go to die on the internet, and is algorithmically designed to be so.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”