Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
The whole set might leak at this point. I feel so bad for Wizard staff.
I'm finding it intensely amusing that the original New Phyrexia leaked in its entirety, and we go back there and we have another significant leak. But yeah, it must suck for the people who job it is to co-ordinate all this officially.

Leaked cards look cool, how do I do the 'Unofficial Spoiler' boxes so I can discuss them?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 year ago

The tag is [leak].
Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
So far the coolest card is Mercurial Spelldancer. If you jump through enough hoops, you get to do something that you'd typically have to pay quite a bit more mana for to achieve statically. Plus it comes with unblockability, so it might find some homes based on that too. I also like the wording on Ezuri, Stalker of Spheres as it opens up a bunch of design space with its "ETB kicker". Pretty much everything about Ovika, Enigma Goliath makes me weirdly happy. Mirran Safehouse is technically colourless fetch ramp, and I'm getting a bit too much kick out of imaging game states where someone assembles Urborg + Coffers and you pop/exploit the latter.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

maeos

Post by maeos » 1 year ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
The whole set might leak at this point. I feel so bad for Wizard staff.
wizards is w/e. i feel bad for the people who would be given the cards to actually reveal cause now they wont have as much interaction for their announcement.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Ixhel, Descendant of Atraxa is an interesting design but I don't understand why it's in Abzan. It's frustrating that it doesn't trigger Corrupted on its own after one hit, but that might be too good. Hopefully there will be more playable proliferation cards in Abzan to enable it more easily.

All that said, I really like the design and this could be the Abzan spellslinger commander I've been waiting for. I'm more excited for the secondary Abzan commander from the precon, actually, but we'll see.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

Cheers @Rumpy5897!
Personally the two cards I've seen that I'm immediately after from the leaks are Skrelv, Defector Mite cause mono-W legends is always looking for interaction and Glissa Suneater for Virtus and Gorm because that is a lovely combat damage trigger. I also think Graaz, Unstoppable Juggernaut is hilarious. Oh yeah, what does the Ezuri Rumpy mentioned do? Not seen that yet
Dragonlover
All my decks are here

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 year ago
The tag is [leak].
So far the coolest card is Mercurial Spelldancer. If you jump through enough hoops, you get to do something that you'd typically have to pay quite a bit more mana for to achieve statically. Plus it comes with unblockability, so it might find some homes based on that too. I also like the wording on Ezuri, Stalker of Spheres as it opens up a bunch of design space with its "ETB kicker". Pretty much everything about Ovika, Enigma Goliath makes me weirdly happy. Mirran Safehouse is technically colourless fetch ramp, and I'm getting a bit too much kick out of imaging game states where someone assembles Urborg + Coffers and you pop/exploit the latter.
omg, i thought it was a legendary creature because it has that type of unique text, so i started drafting up a deck. i feel so stupid wasting all that time

maeos

the filigree sylex is a pretty good ratchet bomb with added bonus in oil decks. cant wait to try it in atraxa

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Between this and what happened with New Phyrexia, it's like wow Phyrexia is friggin' cursed when it comes to leaks huh?

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 1 year ago

Igzex wrote:
1 year ago
Between this and what happened with New Phyrexia, it's like wow Phyrexia is friggin' cursed when it comes to leaks huh?
Not as much as Dominaria though. Maybe the two planes are fated to be like that.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I see 2 G hits for my Fynn deck so far. I don't have a problem with them pushing some non G poison with Toxic but I'm hoping to get more good stuff than just that.

maeos

Lukka, Bound to Ruin pretty good compared to his past iterations. definitely will try and snag a copy for my xenegod deck

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I had a Thromok the Insatiable that would have loved the new Lukka.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

New Nahiri sure looks weak. Her 0 is the only interesting ability she has, and it seems real niche and requires significant setup.. At least her abilities are fairly novel?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

When I see a PW that dont have a static ability I get a bit underwhelm. I think we.ve been a bit spoiled

DirkGently

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
When I see a PW that dont have a static ability I get a bit underwhelm. I think we.ve been a bit spoiled
I don't think it's that, at least not in nahiri's case. Her first ability does very little and her second ability does something a jank common can do, without the built-in risk of being a a planeswalker. And she does very little to defend herself, which is typically a high priority for a planeswalker.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
I don't think it's that, at least not in nahiri's case. Her first ability does very little and her second ability does something a jank common can do, without the built-in risk of being a a planeswalker. And she does very little to defend herself, which is typically a high priority for a planeswalker.
While I don't think she's likely to make a splash in Commander, she's an interesting case where the usual metrics for planeswalker evaluation gets wonky. Rather than being something you play and then try to protect to build up to the big value moment (be that an ult or multiple minus activations), she's a planeswalker where the value is in her ability to come down, make the value play, and then just keep doing that if your opponents don't immediately remove her. She's pretty much all about that 3rd ability, with the second ability feeling mostly like a way to fuel it.

That said, her numbers feel tuned way more for standard and similar, and exiling reanimation has less value in commander. So she's likely a miss for this format, but an interesting design overall to me.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

What are people's thoughts on the new Kaya? She's a lot of mana, but has 4 abilities, and can be cheated into play with Arena Rector.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

NZB2323 wrote:
1 year ago
What are people's thoughts on the new Kaya? She's a lot of mana, but has 4 abilities, and can be cheated into play with Arena Rector.
Kaya, Intangible Slayer
I think she's fine, but not that exciting. The (0) and (-3) are both 2-for-1s and can represent a lot of value if she sticks around, but the (+2) isn't very impactful, and she doesn't protect herself as well as other big walkers like Liliana, Dreadhorde General, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, or Elspeth, Sun's Champion. The lack of ultimate also means she doesn't benefit quite as much from the usual superfriends strategies (Doubling Season, proliferate, etc). As a result, she looks like a fine value card, but not a win condition.

duducrash
Still Learning

Maro's Phyrexia: All Will Be One Teaser
Before previews for Phyrexia: All Will Be One officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I'm only giving you partial information.
First up, here are some things you can expect:
• an ability word named corrupted
• an artifact that grants loyalty abilities to planeswalkers you control
• a new Phyrexian Mite creature token with a keyword ability
• a four-color legendary creature
• a new type of counter
• a reprint with Phyrexian in its name (other than Phyrexian Obliterator)
• a new keyword with an exclamation point in its name
• affinity returns on three cards
• a Phyrexianized Staff of Domination
• another Sword of ______ & ______
Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
• "If one or more tokens would be created under your control, twice that many of those tokens are created instead."
• "Discard your hand, then draw four cards."
• "This spell costs 3 more to cast if it targets a creature."
• "If target player has fewer than nine poison counters, they get a number of poison counters equal to the difference."
• "Players can't cast noncreature spells from graveyard or exile."
• "At the beginning of each player's upkeep, CARDNAME deals 2 damage to that player unless they control two or more basic lands."
• "it has all activated abilities of all land cards in all graveyards."
• "Then if a graveyard has twenty or more cards in it, you draw three cards."
• "If a creature dying causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time."
• "Search your library for a basic, Sphere, or Locus land card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle."
Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:
• Creature – Phyrexian Jellyfish
• Creature – Phyrexian Fungus
• Creature – Phyrexian Dinosaur
• Creature – Cat Rebel
• Artifact Creature – Phyrexian Squid
• Creature – Phyrexian Basilisk
• Creature – Ogre Rebel
• Artifact Creature – Phyrexian Masticore
• Legendary Creature – Phyrexian Rat
• Legendary Creature – Phyrexian Elephant Wizard

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago

• "Search your library for a basic, Sphere, or Locus land card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle."
Incoming Drik rant about land decks
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Incoming Drik rant about land decks
Lol huh? I love lands. They're my second-favorite card type.

I don't think they should have an effect that literally wins the game, if that's what you mean (as per my maze's end "rant"). Short of that, as long as they're not hideously unbalanced, go nuts. Afaik there are no locuses or spheres that would bother me at all.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

search for land for hand isn't a great effect TBH, unless there is a couple of great sphere / locus arround this can't be much excpet enabling your drops and making sure you have your colors, right?

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
search for land for hand isn't a great effect TBH, unless there is a couple of great sphere / locus arround this can't be much excpet enabling your drops and making sure you have your colors, right?
Locuses can get really strong in multiples, but so far for Commander you're stuck at two, plus up to two more if you use Vesuva/Thespians' Stage. If there's another 2-3 locuses between this set and March of the Machine, then being able to repeatedly tutor locuses could be quite strong because it's going to set you up with a Cloudpost that gives you 4-5 mana, plus a handful of free life off of Glimmerpost, plus whatever the other ones do.

But that doesn't seem like a reasonable expectation, I imagine we'll get one new Locus (or they wouldn't bother including it as a tutorable type), and unless it's *really* good it won't make much of a splash.

DirkGently

I mean even if they made a basic locus and you could do a full deck of them, cloudpost would just become on par with cabal coffers except with a way more restrictive manabase. They'd have to make some huge mistakes for locuses to become a real problem.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Yeah, Cloudpost is a decent strategy in a 60 card, 4 copy format like legacy, but in a singleton format I'm not too intimidated.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”