Unreleased and New Card Discussion

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Yay Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and Kozilek, Butcher of Truth reprints. My least favorite big tummy creatures. I'm so happy I get to see more of them put into circulation. Zzzzzzz

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

meanwhile Emrakul the Promised End is up to $50 x3 my fave one of the whole bunch never gets a reprint

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Guys, don't worry, we'll probably all just pull Ryusei, the Falling Star and not these cool mythic reprints.

(I assume those dragons are in every masters reprint set.)

EDIT: I just realized some of these legends have not gotten the non-foil treatment until now. I have been working on Aminatou, the Fateshifter and glad I can get a real card instead of a Pringle.

EDIT EDIT: Gross, Seb art instead of new.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

What? Are we cancelling Seb now?

Anyway, even though I'm not a fan of Cadillac packs, I did get lucky with my pulls in the small handful of packs I picked up last time. Unless I get to play a limited event, that's probably all I'll do this time. I really hope there are more rarity drops like Myth Realized. I need Allosaurus Shepherd to be more affordable too.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Yay Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and Kozilek, Butcher of Truth reprints. My least favorite big tummy creatures. I'm so happy I get to see more of them put into circulation. Zzzzzzz
This is me every time I see them reprint something kind of toxic like Craterhoof Behemoth / Exsanguinate. I don't actually think that the eldrazi are very good in this day and age as there has been a lot of creep in the ability to close out games but they aren't very efficient or effective at it. Annihilate has gotten worse due to faster wincons and an increase in token strategies.

Its hard for me to really feel much about eldrazi when I can't tell you how many times I have seen games end by turn six lately. I feel bad when I do it to others but at the same time it happens to me so often that I know I have also crept up in power to some degree to match. I think I killed a table of three on turn six or seven this week with mono red dragons and while that sounds kind of harsh I ended the game at 12 life against an aristocrats Prossh, Skyraider of Kher deck so do I really feel bad about it? I kind of feel bad about the third player who was super not in that game but the envelop keeps getting pushed.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
What? Are we cancelling Seb now?
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I admit that I was disappointed that Seb thinks the way he does, but I didn't think anything he did or said (and I admit that I may have missed something) rose to the level of cancellation. Harold McNeil or Terese Neilsen he is not.
Last edited by RxPhantom 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
I think I killed a table of three on turn six or seven this week with mono red dragons and while that sounds kind of harsh I ended the game at 12 life against an aristocrats Prossh, Skyraider of Kher deck so do I really feel bad about it? I kind of feel bad about the third player who was super not in that game but the envelop keeps getting pushed.
So it's not just me. Yeah even a meme deck like dragon tribal can just win so fast now. I finish cracking a joke with the table and all the sudden I notice I'm rolling in treasures and can just casually OTK everybody with Terror of the Peaks. This is a 4 player game with an old terrible resource system I shouldn't feel like I'm playing Dragon Link in Yu-Gi-Oh! all over again yet here we are.

To be fair though, Eldrazi can still be slapped down just as quickly so they will remain my berserk button.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
I admit that I was disappointed that Seb thinks the way he does, but I didn't think anything he did or said (and I admit that I may have missed something) that rose to the level of cancellation. Harold McNeil or Terese Neilsen he is not.
Being a pro wrestling fan has desensitized me to the fact that the talent we enjoy consuming comes from a lot of horrible people. Still doesn't change the fact it's disappointing...

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Okay regarding Seb and the Freedom convoy - I will speak as a Canadian who was opposed to the anti-vax protests.

I have a masters in immunology, so when my facebook feed was full of 'freedom convoy' posts, I was frustrated by all the disinformation. As a Jew whose grandparents lost so much in 1944/45 Hungary, the brandishing of Nazi flags at the rallies made me sick.

But here's the thing - I have family that openly supported this movement. I have friends who did. None of them are white supremacists. They are composed of Jews, BIPOC, etc.

There were really two things going on with those rallies.
1. A lot of Canadians frustrated with the government restrictions, and largely fooled by the disinformation campaign (conspiracy theories) against vaccines and vaccine passports.
2. White supremacist groups making up a small percentage of the protests who had their own agenda.

I implored my friends and family to not be sucked into this movement. It was routed in conspiracy and organized by hate. But they would go and they wouldn't see the hate groups (small percentage). So they would all come home talking about the rallies thinking they participated in the most amazing display of love and acceptance.

Do I think Seb (and my friends and family) are idiots? Absolutely.
Do I think they are Nazis? Of course not.

So yeah, all this to say that I do not think anyone should demonize Seb over this. Call him an idiot maybe. Call him out for believing in conspiracy. But as a Canadian Jewish immunologist I will happily continue to support him as an artist. He was far from the only idiot running to Ottawa, and I am not turning my back on people for being foolish.
I actually blame the government, because:
a) they did a crap job of educating the public about the safety of the vaccines
b) they decided to go heavy on restrictions and vaccine passports to coerce people into getting vaccinated, which will of course only make people resist getting vaccinated even more.

Please let me know if I missed anything, but as far as I can tell, Seb is not racist, just one of many people fooled by disinformation.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Okay regarding Seb and the Freedom convoy - I will speak as a Canadian who was opposed to the anti-vax protests.

I have a masters in immunology, so when my facebook feed was full of 'freedom convoy' posts, I was frustrated by all the disinformation. As a Jew whose grandparents lost so much in 1944/45 Hungary, the brandishing of Nazi flags at the rallies made me sick.

But here's the thing - I have family that openly supported this movement. I have friends who did. None of them are white supremacists. They are composed of Jews, BIPOC, etc.

There were really two things going on with those rallies.
1. A lot of Canadians frustrated with the government restrictions, and largely fooled by the disinformation campaign (conspiracy theories) against vaccines and vaccine passports.
2. White supremacist groups making up a small percentage of the protests who had their own agenda.

I implored my friends and family to not be sucked into this movement. It was routed in conspiracy and organized by hate. But they would go and they wouldn't see the hate groups (small percentage). So they would all come home talking about the rallies thinking they participated in the most amazing display of love and acceptance.

Do I think Seb (and my friends and family) are idiots? Absolutely.
Do I think they are Nazis? Of course not.

So yeah, all this to say that I do not think anyone should demonize Seb over this. Call him an idiot maybe. Call him out for believing in conspiracy. But as a Canadian Jewish immunologist I will happily continue to support him as an artist. He was far from the only idiot running to Ottawa, and I am not turning my back on people for being foolish.
I actually blame the government, because:
a) they did a crap job of educating the public about the safety of the vaccines
b) they decided to go heavy on restrictions and vaccine passports to coerce people into getting vaccinated, which will of course only make people resist getting vaccinated even more.

Please let me know if I missed anything, but as far as I can tell, Seb is not racist, just one of many people fooled by disinformation.

A well-crafted, nuanced take on a complex, hot button issue? Not on my internet.

Seriously though, my hat is off to you, sir.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
< SNIP >
Point counterpoint:

(Obviously this is an American gathering, and American politics have, uh, unique characteristics that Canadian politics don't, but...)

EDIT: To make an actual point, my sympathy begins to wane for people who willingly spread misinformation and don't consider themselves vectors. It's selfish, short-sighted, and lazy.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
< SNIP >
Point counterpoint:

(Obviously this is an American gathering, and American politics have, uh, unique characteristics that Canadian politics don't, but...)

EDIT: To make an actual point, my sympathy begins to wane for people who willingly spread misinformation and don't consider themselves vectors. It's selfish, short-sighted, and lazy.
Not sure if there is any part of that video I should be focusing on. It's an hour long and I don't have that time.
I will say this - the US, largely because of the media sources, has a lot wilder conspiracy theories than anything we have in Canada.

You are right - I had little sympathy for people who participated in the rallies. It got me very riled up. I argued with uninformed people who spread misinformation and created doubt. I was sickened by people being so uncaring for the vulnerable. Just because they were fooled, doesn't mean they are without blame.
I am not happy about Seb's involvement with that movement. But he is just one of many idiots. If I am not turning my back on family over this, I am not boycotting Seb either.

That whole freedom rally was such a blight on Canada. Especially the fact that most of the organizers were white supremacists.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Not sure if there is any part of that video I should be focusing on. It's an hour long and I don't have that time.
I will say this - the US, largely because of the media sources, has a lot wilder conspiracy theories than anything we have in Canada.

You are right - I had little sympathy for people who participated in the rallies. It got me very riled up. I argued with uninformed people who spread misinformation and created doubt. I was sickened by people being so uncaring for the vulnerable. Just because they were fooled, doesn't mean they are without blame.
I am not happy about Seb's involvement with that movement. But he is just one of many idiots. If I am not turning my back on family over this, I am not boycotting Seb either.

That whole freedom rally was such a blight on Canada. Especially the fact that most of the organizers were white supremacists.
It's a video of the American interpretation of the Convoy, full of exactly what you'd expect from a grassroots right wing event in 2022. American politics have been wild lately, that's for sure.

The difference between Seb and those members of your family is that, presumably, your family members don't have the reach and influence of Seb. I'm not suggesting Seb is some person of great renown, but he willingly and knowingly promoted the events using his platform to amplify misinformation. He could've gone and kept his idiot mouth shut, but no; he had to post about it. That is why I hold him in contempt. I understand what it's like to have family members consumed by misinformation and hate. I'm from the American South, trust me, I get it.

Noah Bradley he isn't, but don't you think there should be repercussions for doing what he did?

For what it's worth, while your convoy was a blight, at least you're not in America.

EDIT: On topic, hey, what do you know? Damnation got a reprint!

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Not a mod, but I'll still put in a request to keep things on-topic and away from politics.

Anyway, lots of very nice reprints. Crucible of Worlds, Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh, Divine Visitation.... but the reprint I'm actually happiest with is actually Dragon Arch. The very first deck I ever won a game with was a borrowed Dragon Arch / Quicksilver Amulet / Elvish Piper deck running Tron lands and stuff like Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Sundering Titan, Myojin of Life's Web, Blood Tyrant, and a bunch of other singleton nonsensical fatties... many of which had 'when played from hand' clauses that I now know don't work, but kitchen table magic works a bit differently when no one knows the rules. Good times.

Full-art Ravnica bouncelands are also pretty nifty. They've definitely gone down in value over time, but I still have a few decks running them, so nice to have some bling options.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Bouncelands are all fine and good, but I only use them in two-colored decks these days. I would've been more stoked for these a few years ago. I'm also not thrilled about ten rare slots going to the lieges.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

GSZ's a good reprint, glad it didn't become mythic. Would love them to reprint Nykthos in this set since it seems more colourful and less artifackty than 2XM!

not intending to buy any of this set sealed, though. keeping myself to just old singles and commander precons from now on, unless the set's D&D-centric which I'm not sure if they're ever planning to do again. I bought way too much in the last few months and *most* of the reprints and downshifts from this will pop in two weeks' time incredibly cheaply. i remember grabbing a bunch of 2XM artifact and artifact-centric cards from cardmarket folks cos there was such a glut and the foils were worth barely any more than the regular editions.

edit: 2XM reprinted stuff from cycles without reprinting the whole cycle... Selesnya Guildmage, Alabaster Mage, Izzet Charm, etc, they're there to create draft archetypes not to be exhaustive. don't assume that every five card cycle gets filled

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

That RKF Dromoka is sooooo sweet. I will purchase one or die trying.

On Seb, Terese, and Harold: I personally believe art is a thing unto its own, borne of its creator but not necessarily representative of them or their beliefs. For example, Richard Wagner was a vicious anti-semite. The Nazis loved him and put his work on a pedestal because of it. All in all, not a great dude by any measure of man.

But Ride of the Valkyries is a %$#% awesome song. Nothing about it tells me to be a nazi or hate Jewish folk. I choose to think that for the most part, creative output is a redeeming feature of humanity, not some extension of our worst parts. Even a monster can create art, and in doing such, the monster steps away from that which makes them monstrous (if only for a moment). Nobody imho is totally evil. Mostly, perhaps, but not totally.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Just wanted stop by and again share my excitement for Richard Kane Ferguson's Dromoka. Holy moly. I hope he has more pieces in this set. He's been my favorite artist since forever. It's cool to see Ian Miller too.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

As soon as I saw Dromoka, 5 pixels by 8 on my tiny phone screen, I said "is that RKF?" That dude has a distinctive style. Glad to see it again.

Kinda hate Dromoka as a card though lol.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
New Path to Exile art, finally. I was getting real tired of seeing lion man turned into flowers.
Are you being sarcastic? Not only has that art been available since 2015, there are 6 other art treatments for path to exile. Card has seen some reprints.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
New Path to Exile art, finally. I was getting real tired of seeing lion man turned into flowers.
Are you being sarcastic? Not only has that art been available since 2015, there are 6 other art treatments for path to exile. Card has seen some reprints.
I'm from an alternate timeline where Secret Lairs don't exist. I had a friend from your time stream timecube me a copy of Ornithological Studies, which hangs on my wall. MTGO doesn't exist, as everyone plays EDH on Arena now, and I also don't like foils, anyway, so the promos don't interest me.

I did forget about this li'l guy, though:

I also legitimately had never seen that art from the FNM promo. All of the printings I've seen were either the SLs which I refuse to support, the hideous Gideon Spellbook one, the Duel Deck one which is ... fine, or the damn lion. Always the damn lion. I'm glad the FNM promo art is available in non-foil now.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I was actually going to say that I was a little bummed that the FNM promo art is going to be widely available in packs. I remember being so pumped when that and the Serum Visions one were announced, and I played a lot of Standard to earn them. The sky isn't falling or anything, but still...

DirkGently

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I also don't like foils, anyway, so the promos don't interest me.
Fair, but I think the textless magicfest promo is available nonfoil or foil.

2 SL only
2 foil promo only
1 textless promo
1 duel decks
1 Gideon
1 lion boi
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

CHAOS WARP NEW ART NEW FT LET'S GOOOOOOOO

(It's backfired on me so often that I shouldn't even play it, but I'll probably use Warp until the end of time.)
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”