Unreleased and New Card Discussion

wildfire393
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by wildfire393 » 1 year ago

I think the card (which we've seen leaked) itself is fine though
Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
It's a Journeyer's Kite except it can grab Spheres and Locuses as well, and if you have nine different names among your basics/spheres/locuses it can become a 9/9 indestructible trample toxic 9 for 3 mana. A couple of the revealed spheres seem solid, and the remaining 5 are likely one for each color, so in, say, a three-colored deck it's easy enough to get 3x basic, 3x snow basic, and then a couple of spheres/locuses to make that a solid card without a ton of extra investment.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Mondrak, Glory Dominus is an Anointed Procession that can also function as an indestructible sac outlet. Seems good in aristocrats! Shocking, I know.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
Mondrak, Glory Dominus is an Anointed Procession that can also function as an indestructible sac outlet. Seems good in aristocrats! Shocking, I know.
I'm so glad Mondrak isn't green. You know it took all of Wotc's willpower to resist making the token doubling effect green. I hope the green one's effect is doubling your life gain.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

maeos

Post by maeos » 1 year ago

looks like the new atraxa is hinting at a new card type. also they forgot about tribal >.>

Atraxa, Grand Unifier
3GWUB
Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Angel
Flying, vigilance, deathtouch, lifelink

When Atraxa enters the battlefield, reveal the top 10 cards of your library. For each card type, you may put one card of that type into your hand. Put the rest at the bottom of your library in any order. (the card types are Artifacts, Battle, Creature, Enchantment, Instant, Land, Planeswalker, Sorcery.)
loving the fact that mondrak can be put in the command zone. my mono w treasure/clues is gonna have fun

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

Kemba, Kha Enduring -- so this really costs 2 huh

Mookie

Staff of Compleation is either broken or trash. Possibly both? Either way, certainly an interesting design. No obvious combos (unlike Staff of Domination), but tapping to draw a card or proliferate every turn can be quite strong if you have the life to burn. The base case of 'painful Manalith' isn't terrible either. Strong inclusion in self-harm decks like Greven, Predator Captain and Verrak, Warped Sengir, and may also be worth consideration in lifegain decks.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Oh Ixhel, Scion of Atraxa, why couldn't you've been Sultai? :pensive:

Although I do feel happy for Abzan; this does add some variety.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

Look at all those goodies i will have to print

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Sheoldred's Edict is the sort of flexible removal I can get behind. I particularly like how it's still relevant against token decks still just worse then targeted removal? Maybe.

Much better than all the current edict effects in a multiplayer format.

Not a very exciting card, but this and Black Sun's Twilight seem like solid removal spells.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I kinda like how Black Sun's Twilight plays similarly to Profane Command
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

I don't think Annex Sentry is an include in my cleric deck. It can't take out the creatures that really hose the deck like Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite and Archfiend of Depravity. Although it is a flavor win that Norn's sentry can't take her out.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Mookie

More spoilers!
  • Atraxa, Grand Unifier is... the most generic value card I have ever seen. No real build-around requirements (unlike Niv-Mizzet Reborn) - just play a variety of card types. 4C goodstuff, I guess. I am very curious what battles are though.
  • Capricious Hellraiser is sweet. A bit random, but the 'noncreature, nonland' clause means it is possible to rig things to get what you want. (edit: misread it - the exiled cards can be anything, so you don't want too many creatures / lands or you won't get anything)
  • Tyrranax Rex is going to murder some people.
  • Vanish into Eternity makes me sad. :( Still, a powerful piece of interaction. I don't know if it replaces Generous Gift or Anguished Unmaking in terms of pure flexibility, but certainly worth consideration.
  • Minor Misstep is not Mental Misstep, and that's okay.
  • Mirran Safehouse is interesting, and it probably opens up some shenanigans (Lotus Field?). You do need to get at least one land into a graveyard before it functions as a Manalith though.
edit: from the commander decks, Clever Concealment and Staff of the Storyteller both look quite nice. Also some strong support for proliferate / toxic.
Last edited by Mookie 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
More spoilers!
I am curious as well. The running consensus from what I've read online is most people think battles are going to be a new permanent type that builds off of the design space explored by the cancelled "skirmish" mechanic from WAR as well as Dungeons. Combine that with the fact that the Phyrexians are invading the multiverse plane by plane and we have a LOTR UB set coming up, it would seem that battles will be how Wotc tries to capture the sense that everything and everyone is at war.

One person astutely pointed out that you could have a bunch of battle cards in a set that represent the fight versus Phyrexia in each plane, i.e. Battle for Alara, Battle for Kamigawa, etc etc. Then in LOTR, you have Battle for Helms Deep, Battle at Pelennor Fields, etc.

Personally as a custom designer I'm excited for battles as new tool in our arsenal as designers. I tried to come up with a way of capturing grand warfare, but my ideas were mostly a new enchantment subtype. This is far more exciting. I now believe that the line "MAGIC IS GOING TO CHANGE/NEVER GOING TO BE THE SAME" is referring to the fact that lore wise people can go to other planes without being planeswalkers, and mechanics wise, we have a new card type.
Last edited by Venedrex 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Mirran Safehouse has some interesting loop tech with fetch lands in the graveyard and artifact recursion engines. Not sure the 3 mana is worth it, but if you are durdling for lands and have a Scrap Trawler in play maybe it does something. I think I like the one that has abilities from lands in play better. That way we can double up on good abilities, instead of getting them from the GY. Most lands in the GY are ones that put themselves there.

Battle could be a card super-type like Tribal, which someone already pointed out was missed on the Atraxa text. Saga's could have been a supertype of enchantments like we have Tribal Instants. Perhaps that is where they go so that we don't need another permanent type to slap on removal spells again like Planeswalkers were. Or it could be a non-permanent, which would be interesting. A permanent type is more likely so the rules for the stack don't get more complicated than they already are.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Manascape Refractor is a card that didnt break anything that im aware, so im not expecting the world tbh, I think it will be nice value in Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle and Oswald Fiddlebender and decks like that

Edit : I somehow forgot they were both mono white lmao. could still be used (strip mine!!!)

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
More spoilers!
Vanish into Eternity feels more like a replacement to Forsake the Worldly or Disenchant than a replacement for Gift or Oblation. Costing 6 to hit creatures #feelsbadman, so this can't be a replacement for creature-facing interaction - but I'd gladly lose cycling to be able to hit 'walkers and soon battlefields (?!?!).

Also pumped by Sword of Forge and Frontier! Now we just need "Sword of Secrets and Lies" (or whatever they call the Dimir one) for the cycle to be complete. Despite this being the first Sword into standard since NPH, I actually think it looks a lot better than the rest of the allied blades so far. I adore Escape to the Wilds so casting a mini-version of that on each hit sounds hot.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Some more big leaks on Reddit. Maybe it's a theme. We had leaks in NPH, oil, leaking. Maybe I'm thinking too much.
Solphim will be great friends with Brallin. I'm sure there are more exciting uses for it, but my gosh, the synergy!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 1 year ago

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
Some more big leaks on Reddit. Maybe it's a theme. We had leaks in NPH, oil, leaking. Maybe I'm thinking too much.
Solphim will be great friends with Brallin. I'm sure there are more exciting uses for it, but my gosh, the synergy!
Link?

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Cyberium wrote:
1 year ago
Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
Link?
mythicspoiler has it. go to newest spoilers.
definitely going straight into kaervek.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Cyberium

By the cards shown so far, I can't find a use for most oil cards, even in a proliferate deck.

Mookie

Cyberium wrote:
1 year ago
By the cards shown so far, I can't find a use for most oil cards, even in a proliferate deck.
FWIW, oil counters aren't actually a new mechanic - they're just renamed charge counters. Compare Tamiyo's Immobilizer vs Tumble Magnet, for example. I run a few charge counter cards in my decks, but they're usually just generic stuff like Everflowing Chalice. I feel that cards that use counters as a resource and eventually run out tend to be underwhelming in long games, while cards that tick up over time like Empowered Autogenerator are often too slow. I guess we'll see if any oil counter cards end up making the cut.

....I do think Mindsplice Apparatus is pretty sweet, while Mercurial Spelldancer and Vindictive Flamestoker both look solid for other formats.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I think the oil counters are more of a limited mechanic. I doubt it will be relevant to commander very often.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

@Dunharrow while there is some support within the set, they're almost all self-supporting. I don't think they'll be any different than any other card that uses counters - good if they're good on their own, and possibly with extra value in a proliferate deck.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Yeah, if oil cards are good on their own they'll just be good - Mercurial Spelldancer and Sawblade Scamp are just good in spellslinger, for instance, and getting a bit of extra oomph off of Tezzeret's Gambit or newcomer Experimental Augury is just gravy. A lot of them look like limited jank, sadly, and the payoff of The Filigree Sylex isn't good enough in commander.

Cyberium

I was hoping to see some controlling aspect in oil counters, since the oil is literally Phyrexia nanomites that corrupts, perhaps permanents with oil counter on it cannot be controlled by non-owners.

Or, it'd function like devotion since, well, the oil is literally devotion to Phyrexia, except here it could be a proliferatable devotion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”