Unreleased and New Card Discussion

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
CHAOS WARP NEW ART NEW FT LET'S GOOOOOOOO

(It's backfired on me so often that I shouldn't even play it, but I'll probably use Warp until the end of time.)
It's got FOGLIO art! Holy freakin' %$#%!

EDIT: And that FLAVOR TEXT! AHHHHHHHHH!!!! It's perfect!
Last edited by RxPhantom 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

RedCheese
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

I was thinking if they were going to have Foglio make art and im so happy he did. So nostalgic this art. Also that flavor text made me laugh out loud in real life.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

RedCheese wrote:
1 year ago
I was thinking if they were going to have Foglio make art and im so happy he did. So nostalgic this art. Also that flavor text made me laugh out loud in real life.
Me too! I had to edit my last post after reading it! This card...it's everything!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I think the design team for this set really backed themselves into a corner on this one. They made all of the draft archetypes three-color, then must've came to the realization that there are so few appropriately colored rares that they unintentionally gave it a subtheme of 'crappy Alara block rares.'

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
I think the design team for this set really backed themselves into a corner on this one. They made all of the draft archetypes three-color, then must've came to the realization that there are so few appropriately colored rares that they unintentionally gave it a subtheme of 'crappy Alara block rares.'
And yet, despite this, they somehow still refuse to reprint Godsire, instead giving us another Fiery Justice reprint. I guess Godsire is a mythic and not a rare, but... I really wouldn't bat an eye at a rarity downshift.

(I do realize I may be the only person in the world clamoring for a Godsire reprint, but I'm still going to keep complaining until it happens!)

...I guess Fiery Justice is in the noncreature slot, and Atla Palani, Nest Tender is the reprinted creature, but given that Atla is also a rarity downshift... yeah.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

^"Alara Reborn Reborn" giggle... between this, New Capenna and the very hard to use three-colour legends in CML I'm hoping to see a bit of monomania in future sets, gimme Nykthos or mountains matter and less gold frames for a while! just imho

(I wonder how much effort they really put into drafting this format? i guess it'll be functional but I always assume that reprint sets mostly exist to be cracked by shops and big throughput sellers. )

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Yeah, this set amplifies how much I dislike the motif atop legendary cards. It's trying to do too much. Seeing Child of Alara in it looks wrong to me.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Damn the new Animar artwork is siiiiick. It almost makes me want to pull the toxic jerk out of retirement. Almost.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
Damn the new Animar artwork is siiiiick. It almost makes me want to pull the toxic jerk out of retirement. Almost.
There truly is no accounting for taste. I was just about to post how lame he looks in his Swamp Thing outfit.

But yeah, resist that urge. It'll do exactly what you know it will and it'll be exactly as much fun as you expect for all parties involved.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

The alt-art Forbidden Orchard is wild, excited to track one down.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

How is Mana Drain worth anything at this point?

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
Definitely should've reprinted Force of Will instead without Nielsen art.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
Because people love the first print?

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
Because people love the first print?
I know I do. The Mark Tedin OG is about $300 NM. Same goes for the OG FoW Therese Nielsen art. I love her art and her. She's an awesome woman.
Warning for flame/troll bait. - v_n
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 1 year ago

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
She's an awesome woman.
Find better bait dude.
Anyway, I just hope this lowers the prices on Phyrexian Altar, that card had gotten entirely too expensive. The set as a whole continues to be far too high-variance for me to want any packs.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 1 year ago

Im starting to feel that as well. so many in my eyes decent rares but so many Mythics I want as well but so many commons and uncommons they are showing are kinda why bother

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I didn't even realize that Mana Drain was down to $42. Maybe this printing will put it within my means. Also, that alt-art Gifts Ungiven looks really cool.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

And another kickass piece from Richard Kane Ferguson! I need that Grim Flayer in my life!
Last edited by RxPhantom 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

Glad to see the Liege cycle reprinted to knock them down some, I love the cycle and would like to try to put them in all the non-tribal two color decks I run.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Their willingness to reprint BaB promos should mean we get Nexus of Fate as a nonfoil in time. For better or worse (an instant-speed extra turn is annoying…we don't NEED that).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

BeneTleilax wrote:
1 year ago
Phyrexian Altar
Big agree. The good news is it's still at rare so there's a legitimate chance this will actually impact the price long term.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Cool to see Scion of Darkness, especially since it isn't taking up a rare slot. I was the fool who tried the Dark Supplicant deck in casual way back in the day, and while it was terrible, it sure was fun. Shadowborn Apostle just doesn't have that same Coca-Cola taste.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Pro - Skullbriar the Walking Grave.
Con - Nightmare fuel Flickerwisp art is back.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Are all of these alt-arts and etched treatments going to show up in draft boosters or are they exclusive to Cadillac packs?

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Are all of these alt-arts and etched treatments going to show up in draft boosters or are they exclusive to Cadillac packs?
I think so, only the textured foils are exclusive to Collector Boosters.
Source: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2022-06-16

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”