Unreleased and New Card Discussion

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
Con - Nightmare fuel Flickerwisp art is back.
I love that art! MtG needs more art like Eventide white cards

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 1 year ago

Huh. Concordant Crossroads there is a reprint I would have never guessed.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Also, that alt-art Gifts Ungiven looks really cool.
Is there another one or just the jace one from the signature spellbook?

WotC should keep reprinting Gifts until the RC legalizes it.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Also, that alt-art Gifts Ungiven looks really cool.
Is there another one or just the jace one from the signature spellbook?

WotC should keep reprinting Gifts until the RC legalizes it.
There's another one. It looks to be set in Kamigawa and has some cool looking food on it. It's on the spoiler list on this site. Actually...

@Feyd_Ruin, how do I tag cards with alt-arts, specifically in the case of Double Masters? I know how to do different sets, i.e. Dissipate|Mirage and Dissipate|Innistrad, but how do I do it for these new fancy 2X2 cards?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

RKF Marchesa 🤩

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

That new Assassin's Trophy art is fan-flipping-tastic.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Warrior's Oath! And even more RKF!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHH!! This set! I'm so glad I didn't bother with CLB. I may try to work an extra shift to buy a box.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Hmmm... the new borderless Kolaghan's Command looks familiar...

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Mentor of the Meek down to uncommon makes me smile, seeing as how it's been mostly strictly-bettered-than by Rumor Gatherer and Welcoming Vampire. Also digging the art + flavortext on the borderless version; the Innistrad flavor is fine but a Boros dude hyping up all the goblins of the legion is much more fun.

With Monastery Mentor as the set's last mythic, here's hoping that means we see some staples at rare or lower. Lots of staples have been crunched out, but by my count the following staples haven't been.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
@Feyd_Ruin, how do I tag cards with alt-arts, specifically in the case of Double Masters? I know how to do different sets, i.e. Dissipate|Mirage and Dissipate|Innistrad, but how do I do it for these new fancy 2X2 cards?
Find the version you want:
cards/innistrad-double-feature/70259-dissipate

Look for the 6-7 digit number there for that card's MTGNexus ID.
Then [card] it as such:
[card]Dissipate|70259[/card]
Dissipate|70259

When collections and market watch are done, I'll be redoing the card details page a little, and it will have a button for card/cardimg so you can just find the version and click the button to automatically copy the print-specific bbcode onto your clipboard.

:)
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

My top 3 for the set so far are the RKF Dromoka, the Paolo Parente Terminate, and the Drew Tucker(!!!) Forbidden Orchard.

Not a whole lot I want from this set, but what I want, I gotta have. Also probably the first time the showcase arts have really driven me to purchase something, usually I just prioritize standard printings.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

I'll be gunning for that Forbidden Orchard too. As well as the RKF Grim Flayer and the alt art Assassin's Trophy. On the fence about the Blood Artist, I think I'll need to see it in person. It seems a little too bright for a black card.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I want all things Richard Kane Ferguson. I've never realized that there are so many other factors that can get my wheels turning on a commander. Most of the time, it's something about the card's mechanics that entice me. Other times though, it's other random things. I pulled a date-stamped promo of Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma at the M19 prerelease. Ferrous is my dog's name and I couldn't stop thinking of ideas for General Ferrous Rokiric. Goreclaw and Rokiric are decks I really enjoy. Now, I find myself wanting to build three new decks, just because RKF made some kickass renditions of them.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Smothering Tithe reprint is quite nice. It also pushes things further into 'actually just Commander Masters' territory.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 1 year ago

120 rares and 39 mythics confirmed atm. Yeah I'm going to single this and let the whales buy the packs cause the statistics of cards even with 2 rares and 2 foils guaranteed make trying to get any of the really good mythics horrible. Actually almost worse than regular packs in a intuitive way rather than crunching the numbers way. That and I have many of the rares and don't need more of these particular ones for the sporadically good to great ones.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
Smothering Tithe reprint is quite nice. It also pushes things further into 'actually just Commander Masters' territory.
*Me seeing tithe reprint* "It's good to see you my dear boy." ST: "How are you?" ME: "Trying to spend less." *Single tear.*
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I am not expecting it to cut their cost considerably, but Privileged Position and Monastery Mentor are two very nice enchantress reprints.

(MH2 slashed the prices of its enchantress reprints, so we shall see.)
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 1 year ago

Haven't seen any card that I really want in the set. With all the cheap mythic/rare, I will settle with singles.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

Yay for Shadowborn Apostle bring reprint and hopefully drops into a price range I can justify buying them.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Gentle Giant
It's all jank, always has been

Post by Gentle Giant » 1 year ago

Not sure if it's allowed to post the image here, seeing as that doesn't happen a lot in this topic, but the new Game Night preconstructed 'board game' product has 5 interesting new cards :)
Will be released in October, consisting of 5 60 card decks.

I especially like the siren, seeing as we haven't gotten something so pure in execution of the siren trope in quite some time (especially as a commander). Feels like a nice deck to thematically lean into seduction, persuasion, and manipulation.

Naturally they try to straddle the line here of making them not too strong to be desirable by everyone: just fun, splashy cards (although the angel seems nasty!).
Remember: not everyone is intent on 'growing as a player', analysing their meta and adapting to it, etc. For some people, Magic is just another board game.

Decklists:
A boy and his dog: an adventure (Rograkh & Yoshimaru) | Storytelling, Jank, Cute
Averna, Roulette Croupier: Cascade Chaos | Cascade, Chaos, Group Choices
The Ur-Dragon Tribal Tribal | Randomized Batches, Diverse, Quirky
Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry | Trash for Treasure, Artifact Aristocrats, low-powered

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Yeesh, those are gonna be annoying to acquire. I hope there's non-foil available, but there probably won't be. Bleh.

Mono-color, so none of them will be super popular.

Zamriel is cute and I want to like it, but honestly it's pretty bad. Doesn't really protect your guys in any meaningful way except that you can board wipe and suicide attack.

Maeve is okay but very low powered, costing 3 to activate is a lot. At least she's in color for Training Grounds.

Yogar is somewhat strong, but costing 5 is a lot considering he needs a lot of setup afterwards to do anything interesting. If he dies prematurely you're gonna be real sad.

Nogi...I just have no idea why you'd ever play him over The Ur-Dragon. Wow, you get a 5/5 flyer for 3, and all it cost was losing 4 colors, requiring playing a crappy creature to start getting the discount, and playing hard into a board wipe. What's not to love?

Imaryll is okay I guess. I mean it does hit pretty hard. Vanilla af though.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Obviously polling this forum is not a fair representation of the Magic community overall, but do people even still like foils? Given their eventual warping, I assign them no value whatsoever. My buddy loves to buy collector packs, but I do not understand it because you get so many foils in them.

We just received Calculating Lich as a non-foil from GN2 (as a reprint in a Commander precon), so who knows when they will give these cards in an okay form. Sigh.

I do get excited whenever there is a Training Grounds general. This ability is so telegraphed, though.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Nogi...I just have no idea why you'd ever play him over The Ur-Dragon.
My dear DirkGently, you have multiple threads about looking for an underpowered Commander for your group.

I can easily see Nogi as an alternative for a group that's just plain sick of The Ur-Dragon.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”