[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 703
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

If my desk space wasn't taken up by a model M1A1,i'd be taking a part my decks and redoing them.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

User avatar
Segrus
Posts: 184
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Segrus » 1 year ago

Haven't been saying much lately, but I've definitely been doing more with Commander in the last week than I have in the prior several months at least. Made a trip up to see my 90+ grandfather and help record him telling stories, and on the drive up made a first draft for a Mowu deck. Tested it against some 'beginner' decks I have, and I definitely need to work more on it. And before I left managed to build a (very) casual Volrath body horror themed deck. I'll probably take it to game night next week and see how badly I get beaten haha. I have mono Green Burn on my slate next, but it'll probably take some work to make it turn out like I want.

User avatar
lyonhaert
Posts: 557
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 1 year ago

Segrus wrote:
1 year ago
And before I left managed to build a (very) casual Volrath body horror themed deck.
Emphasis mine. Okay, now I'm curious. :grin:
Rebuilding
r Zada Arcane Storm
rbu Marchesa
To-Build Pool
gwu Estrid
gwr Samut?
urb Kess
{r/w}{u/b} Akiri & Silas
bwr Alesha
r Neheb Dragons
g Nylea Wurm/Hydra
w Darien
u Tetsuko
b The Abyss — a mono-black EDH Discord b

User avatar
Segrus
Posts: 184
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Segrus » 1 year ago

lyonhaert wrote:
1 year ago
Segrus wrote:
1 year ago
And before I left managed to build a (very) casual Volrath body horror themed deck.
Emphasis mine. Okay, now I'm curious. :grin:
I can post it if you like. I just feel weird about posting any of my heavy theme decks since they can look like kind of a mess sometimes. You know, more art than power level. I'm never sure how much interest there is in that.

Plus, I won't get to play it in a real environment until next Monday. Just testing for now.

User avatar
lyonhaert
Posts: 557
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 1 year ago

Segrus wrote:
1 year ago
lyonhaert wrote:
1 year ago
Segrus wrote:
1 year ago
And before I left managed to build a (very) casual Volrath body horror themed deck.
Emphasis mine. Okay, now I'm curious. :grin:
I can post it if you like. I just feel weird about posting any of my heavy theme decks since they can look like kind of a mess sometimes. You know, more art than power level. I'm never sure how much interest there is in that.

Plus, I won't get to play it in a real environment until next Monday. Just testing for now.
Sure -- or if you'd rather message it that's cool. The theme itself is what sounds intriguing since it suites Volrath so well. I like a bit of theme myself, though I tend to loosely splash a bit into certain decks more than devote to a theme (at least, in a Vorthos sense).
Rebuilding
r Zada Arcane Storm
rbu Marchesa
To-Build Pool
gwu Estrid
gwr Samut?
urb Kess
{r/w}{u/b} Akiri & Silas
bwr Alesha
r Neheb Dragons
g Nylea Wurm/Hydra
w Darien
u Tetsuko
b The Abyss — a mono-black EDH Discord b

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 2209
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Segrus wrote:
1 year ago
lyonhaert wrote:
1 year ago
Segrus wrote:
1 year ago
And before I left managed to build a (very) casual Volrath body horror themed deck.
Emphasis mine. Okay, now I'm curious. :grin:
I can post it if you like. I just feel weird about posting any of my heavy theme decks since they can look like kind of a mess sometimes. You know, more art than power level. I'm never sure how much interest there is in that.

Plus, I won't get to play it in a real environment until next Monday. Just testing for now.
Don't feel weird about it. Just write it up to make it clear that it is what it is. There's plenty of other forum members here who build for themes. I know Sanity's Eclipse does, and while I haven't had time to post them here yet I have a series of 3 theme decks based around a series of books I enjoy. They're not ubiquitous so anyone walking into them without realizing what they are wouldn't necessarily get them but I don't care. Sometimes being the victor at the table isn't the only win condition, you know?
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

WolfWhoWanders
Posts: 186
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 1 year ago

I made a theme deck for the movie event horizon/the true story of the Marie Celeste. It's actually a pretty good deck, but not very fun for your opponents. Naturally, skeleton ship is the commander
Responds well to spells and abilities

User avatar
Sanity_Eclipse
Posts: 202
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 1 year ago

I try to find a happy medium, at least, between telling the story and having a functional, decently powerful deck.

On a (literally) different note, found an english lyrics cover of Unravel from Tokyo Ghoul recently. Been listening to that and a bagpipes instrumental cover of Unravel a lot this past week.
- Lyra -

- Naru Meha -

- Liliana -

- Chandra - Lovisa -

- Nissa - Titania -

- Lavinia X -
- Elenda -
- Yuriko -
- Jhoira-G - Saheeli -
-
- Glissa - Lathril - Meren -
-
-
-
- Koma -
-
- Anafenza -
- Alela - Sen Triplets -
- Narset -
- Inalla -
- Sidisi -
-
- Kaalia-V -
-
- Xyris

User avatar
cryogen
GΘΔ†
Posts: 990
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Westminster, MD
Contact:

Post by cryogen » 1 year ago

Well I finally got all my cards and tokens ordered for a new Dungeons and Dragons themed horde deck I've had brewing in my head. I think it's going to be fun, but probably not very high powered. It was surprisingly difficult to find on theme tokens and creatures that were a broad spectrum, as opposed to a typical tribal style horde deck.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

User avatar
Segrus
Posts: 184
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Segrus » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Don't feel weird about it. Just write it up to make it clear that it is what it is. There's plenty of other forum members here who build for themes. I know Sanity's Eclipse does, and while I haven't had time to post them here yet I have a series of 3 theme decks based around a series of books I enjoy. They're not ubiquitous so anyone walking into them without realizing what they are wouldn't necessarily get them but I don't care. Sometimes being the victor at the table isn't the only win condition, you know?
Interacting with the LGS I've been going to lately and coming from reddit has made me hesitant. They both have or give the appearance of increasing power level which doesn't make it easy to find a good spot for getting theme decks out there (reddit likes established themes, like Chair tribal and Ladies Looking Left, but it rough seas outside that). Combine this with the deck being super not tuned, and it makes me feel vulnerable.

I have a theme deck for the Dragonriders of Pern, so I'm not unfamiliar with the idea of basing a deck around a book. :)
WolfWhoWanders wrote:
1 year ago
I made a theme deck for the movie event horizon/the true story of the Marie Celeste. It's actually a pretty good deck, but not very fun for your opponents. Naturally, skeleton ship is the commander
I have a weird fascination with Event Horizon, or at least the concept behind Event Horizon's story. So this seems pretty awesome to me.
cryogen wrote:
1 year ago
Well I finally got all my cards and tokens ordered for a new Dungeons and Dragons themed horde deck I've had brewing in my head. I think it's going to be fun, but probably not very high powered. It was surprisingly difficult to find on theme tokens and creatures that were a broad spectrum, as opposed to a typical tribal style horde deck.
This does sound difficult to find the right cards. Are you going to get to try the horde deck out any time soon?

WolfWhoWanders
Posts: 186
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 1 year ago

@Segrus
I actually just posted it because it came to mind. I always want to break it but never do, now I at least have it for posterity. Not sure how to link it but it's called all aboard the Marie Celeste, a skeleton ship adventure in the event horizon. It might still be on the first page of the decklists... Depends when you see this I guess haha
Responds well to spells and abilities

User avatar
cryogen
GΘΔ†
Posts: 990
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Westminster, MD
Contact:

Post by cryogen » 1 year ago

Segrus wrote:
1 year ago
cryogen wrote:
1 year ago
Well I finally got all my cards and tokens ordered for a new Dungeons and Dragons themed horde deck I've had brewing in my head. I think it's going to be fun, but probably not very high powered. It was surprisingly difficult to find on theme tokens and creatures that were a broad spectrum, as opposed to a typical tribal style horde deck.
This does sound difficult to find the right cards. Are you going to get to try the horde deck out any time soon?
Hopefully in the next month. Cards won't arrive for probably another week, then have to build the skeleton and test it out.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

User avatar
Segrus
Posts: 184
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Segrus » 1 year ago

WolfWhoWanders wrote:
1 year ago
Segrus
I actually just posted it because it came to mind. I always want to break it but never do, now I at least have it for posterity. Not sure how to link it but it's called all aboard the Marie Celeste, a skeleton ship adventure in the event horizon. It might still be on the first page of the decklists... Depends when you see this I guess haha
I'll go take a look after this. All Aboard the Marie Celeste--in case there's others lol.
cryogen wrote:
1 year ago
Hopefully in the next month. Cards won't arrive for probably another week, then have to build the skeleton and test it out.
I've built a few different horde decks for a Planeschase variant thing I'd thought up. The three of them were fairly generic or had an easy theme though, so nothing like what you're doing.

User avatar
cryogen
GΘΔ†
Posts: 990
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Westminster, MD
Contact:

Post by cryogen » 1 year ago

Segrus wrote:
1 year ago
WolfWhoWanders wrote:
1 year ago
Segrus
I actually just posted it because it came to mind. I always want to break it but never do, now I at least have it for posterity. Not sure how to link it but it's called all aboard the Marie Celeste, a skeleton ship adventure in the event horizon. It might still be on the first page of the decklists... Depends when you see this I guess haha
I'll go take a look after this. All Aboard the Marie Celeste--in case there's others lol.
cryogen wrote:
1 year ago
Hopefully in the next month. Cards won't arrive for probably another week, then have to build the skeleton and test it out.
I've built a few different horde decks for a Planeschase variant thing I'd thought up. The three of them were fairly generic or had an easy theme though, so nothing like what you're doing.
Yeah, my first one was a zombie tribal deck, so the only moving parts were a few cards which weren't straight forward. This one will have some elements to really give it a feel like you're doing an actual dungeon crawl.

I hope.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 703
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

i'm tempted to make a banding deck,jsut to see if i can make the local judge's head go boom lol
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

User avatar
Segrus
Posts: 184
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Segrus » 1 year ago

cryogen wrote:
1 year ago
Yeah, my first one was a zombie tribal deck, so the only moving parts were a few cards which weren't straight forward. This one will have some elements to really give it a feel like you're doing an actual dungeon crawl.

I hope.
I'd be interested to see it after it gets complete.

User avatar
tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Posts: 612
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him
Location: York, PA

Post by tstorm823 » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
i'm tempted to make a banding deck,jsut to see if i can make the local judge's head go boom lol
It's really not that complicated. The worst you'd put them through is having to repeatedly confirm to opponents that yes, it does block trample.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 2209
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Segrus wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Don't feel weird about it. Just write it up to make it clear that it is what it is. There's plenty of other forum members here who build for themes. I know Sanity's Eclipse does, and while I haven't had time to post them here yet I have a series of 3 theme decks based around a series of books I enjoy. They're not ubiquitous so anyone walking into them without realizing what they are wouldn't necessarily get them but I don't care. Sometimes being the victor at the table isn't the only win condition, you know?
Interacting with the LGS I've been going to lately and coming from reddit has made me hesitant. They both have or give the appearance of increasing power level which doesn't make it easy to find a good spot for getting theme decks out there (reddit likes established themes, like Chair tribal and Ladies Looking Left, but it rough seas outside that). Combine this with the deck being super not tuned, and it makes me feel vulnerable.

I have a theme deck for the Dragonriders of Pern, so I'm not unfamiliar with the idea of basing a deck around a book. :)
Mine are based around the Malazan book of the Fallen series. Some are more just 'vibe of the thing', others are more directly describing a series of events, which gets a little trickier. None of them play amazingly, but yeah, that's not the aim of them at all. For myself I kind of reserve them for kitchen table style games and games at LGS with newbies or new to the store folk.

Ultimately I think you just have to be satisfied with the fact that you're building the deck mostly for yourself and satisfying a metric that you know best. That's mostly the case with every deck but much more so with these. People can make suggestions or critique the deck but you know best what's optimal for your build. Reddit can be pretty savage for saltiness, but forget them. Post your decks here, we're pretty supportive.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

User avatar
Airi
Queen of Salt
Posts: 387
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Mine are based around the Malazan book of the Fallen series. Some are more just 'vibe of the thing', others are more directly describing a series of events, which gets a little trickier. None of them play amazingly, but yeah, that's not the aim of them at all. For myself I kind of reserve them for kitchen table style games and games at LGS with newbies or new to the store folk.

Ultimately I think you just have to be satisfied with the fact that you're building the deck mostly for yourself and satisfying a metric that you know best. That's mostly the case with every deck but much more so with these. People can make suggestions or critique the deck but you know best what's optimal for your build. Reddit can be pretty savage for saltiness, but forget them. Post your decks here, we're pretty supportive.
Making a deck around Dancer sounds really neat, actually.
RGW Marath [PR] |WUBRG Jodah | WUBRG Najeela | GB Dina
WBG Tayam | BGU Otrimi the Ever-Cute | UW Yorion | RW Zirda | UR Veyran

User avatar
ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Posts: 1134
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: SD, USA

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I showed up for my first games in 2 months last night. Two new people I didn't know were setting up and one of them asked if we could go easy on him. I pulled out Squee for said game while the other player was playing a UG deck which he said was his most casual deck he had.

The UG deck genesis waved for 30 on like turn 6 (it was a combo of Zendikar Resurgent + Doubling Cube) and then time warped to draw the rest of his deck and lab man win which he backed with 3+ counterspells. Wow, glad I was pulling my punches there.....

To be fair, the person who asked that looked like he was playing a very lightly modified precon.
[EDH] Sram (auras) | Bruna | Heliod | Sai | Naban | Anje

User avatar
cryogen
GΘΔ†
Posts: 990
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Westminster, MD
Contact:

Post by cryogen » 1 year ago

tstorm823 wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
i'm tempted to make a banding deck,jsut to see if i can make the local judge's head go boom lol
It's really not that complicated. The worst you'd put them through is having to repeatedly confirm to opponents that yes, it does block trample.
This is literally why I love Baton of Morale in random decks.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 2209
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Airi wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Mine are based around the Malazan book of the Fallen series. Some are more just 'vibe of the thing', others are more directly describing a series of events, which gets a little trickier. None of them play amazingly, but yeah, that's not the aim of them at all. For myself I kind of reserve them for kitchen table style games and games at LGS with newbies or new to the store folk.

Ultimately I think you just have to be satisfied with the fact that you're building the deck mostly for yourself and satisfying a metric that you know best. That's mostly the case with every deck but much more so with these. People can make suggestions or critique the deck but you know best what's optimal for your build. Reddit can be pretty savage for saltiness, but forget them. Post your decks here, we're pretty supportive.
Making a deck around Dancer sounds really neat, actually.
One of them is Shadowthrone/Dancer/High House Shadow. OG Lazav is the commander. It's...ok, but it has been a while since I've looked at it so it's very casual. One day I hope to have the time to post them here.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

User avatar
vandertroll
A shrubbery?!
Posts: 129
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Athens, GR

Post by vandertroll » 1 year ago

Played draft for the first time after a decade.. Apparently drafting pools in my LGS don't let you keep your pulls. Instead, all mythic / rares are being pooled and the winner player picks first, the 2nd place goes after etc. I didn't pull anything valuable in my packs,I came third and since I play EDH I got what I wanted. Still, i felt mildly annoyed about it. Does this happen regularly?
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

User avatar
MeowZeDung
Posts: 1015
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 1 year ago

vandertroll wrote:
1 year ago
Played draft for the first time after a decade.. Apparently drafting pools in my LGS don't let you keep your pulls. Instead, all mythic / rares are being pooled and the winner player picks first, the 2nd place goes after etc. I didn't pull anything valuable in my packs,I came third and since I play EDH I got what I wanted. Still, i felt mildly annoyed about it. Does this happen regularly?
I understand that the idea behind this is to encourage players to draft the best decks they can to focus on, you know, actually winning instead of just rare drafting. I respect the intent, but I still think it's a crap idea that leads to feel bads. Imagine going to an LGS for your first ever draft, opening some awesome splashy mythic bomb that you really want for your tiny collection, going 0-3 because it's your first draft, and then losing said mythic to the Spike that drafts 10x/week on MTGO/MTGA/paper and has a trade binder worth more than your car.

I say just let the people who want to rare draft do it. They aren't gaining some massive financial edge most of the time, and they are usually making their own decks weaker more than they are making the rest of the table's decks weaker.

User avatar
Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Posts: 361
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Freiburg, Germany
Contact:

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
1 year ago
The mono decks have been a wild ride so far!
Show
With most pods being 4 player pods, it wasn't surprising that it took me quite a few rounds to win with Traxos, Scourge of Kroog.
I ended up winning against a pod consisting of Anje Falkenrath, Thassa, Deep-Dwelling and Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero eventually. With my first swings i took out Gerry, since i feared his deck would be the most resilient. Anje ran through her deck, but blanked mostly. A timely Tormod's Crypt later she was dead in the water and an easy prey. Thassa was obviously very sturdy, being able to tap down my commander repeatedly. When i resolved Clock of Omens my time had come. With Blackblade Reforged and Strata Scythe (Wastes :explode: ) equipped i was able to one-shot.

Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle is an absolute mess to play online, since you can't fast forward through triggers like you can in paper. Let's just say i haven't made friends due to the down time.
The winning pod was against Golos, Tireless Pilgrim which folded on the spot to a From the Ashes by Torbran, Thane of Red Fell, who in return got annihilated by my Tragic Arrogance. The remaining creatureless Kruphix, God of Horizons wasn't able to rebuild fast enough, so i stomped him with a Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx supercharged Mirror Entity, Memnites and Ornithopters. I was a bit sad that i couldn't fire off the Charge Across the Araba in my hand, though.

Talrand, Sky Summoner manhandled a pod consisting of Gishath, Sun's Avatar, Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca and Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow in his very first game. A t-2 Sapphire Medallion, t-3 commander and ciphered t-4 Hidden Strings quickly got out of hand. Chaining Coastal Piracy into Gravitational Shift with counter backup had me winning within the next 2 turns.

As usual Gonti, Lord of Luxury had to edge through a lenghty game. Jodah, Archmage Eternal, Golos, Tireless Pilgrim and Atraxa, Praetors' Voice were worthy opponents with lots of good stuff (ba dumm tsss) to steal. Lacking originality, this wasn't too entertaining, unfortunately.
In the end Sidisi, Undead Vizier corpse danced into Bubbling Muck and Torment of Hailfire to finish things off.

Zada, Hedron Grinder had me struggling for a while. Several hours of crushing defeats later i was able to outpace and overcome a pretty aggressive pod. Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale didn't hit much else but weenies from the get go, Omnath, Locus of Rage was crucially counterspelled by Alela, Artful Provocateur and when it came to her game-deciding Cyclonic Rift, Pyroblast turned things around for me. With Invigorated Rampage, Twinflame, Dragon Fodder under Kari Zev's Expertise, it was all over.

A bunch of games in, Ezuri, Renegade Leader was facing various control decks in Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle, Korvold, Fae-Cursed King and yet another Golos, Tireless Pilgrim list. Being the obvious aggressor Korvold, Fae-Cursed King had me on the brink of dying to commander damage. The life-saving Squall Line got me down to single digit life, but i top decked Vitalize, which was just enough to swing for the remaining life of the table.
Over the last few days i was able to do the allied ones:
Show
Brago, King Eternal once again proved to be a well-working control machine.
Urza, Lord High Artificer, Golos, Tireless Pilgrim and Yarok, the Desecrated were worthy opponents. But early Teferi, Time Raveler and Curator's Ward saw me controlling the board and drawing plenty to slam on the table.
I had to work through some attempted wraths, but Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Cathars' Crusade sealed the deal.

Being the deck i've been playing most lately, Lazav, the Multifarious was nothing i had to work myself into again. Facing Godo, Bandit Warlord, Alela, Artful Provocateur and Omnath, Locus of Rage, i knew i had to be fast.
T-2 commander and t-3 Frantic Search had me discarding Wall of Blood and untap, so i had to decide how much risk i wanted to take. Already tired by the long evening i decided to go all in, swung at a tapped out Alela, Artful Provocateur, paid 21 life and knocked her out. The rest of the table knew i couldn't repeat the same stunt for the moment, so besides being an opponent down i considered myself behind. Omnath, Locus of Rage ramped as usual while Godo, Bandit Warlord was played on curve, fetched Lightning Greaves and swung for 6 at my other opponent. I found Whispering Madness, ciphered it to my commander and began filling my graveyard exponentially doing, incremental commander damage. Library of Leng came in very handy to filter my discards. Omnath, Locus of Rage came down, created a few Tokens and swung at me while holding up blockers for Godo, Bandit Warlord - i was happy to chump block the Elementals with some of my creatures. I was finally discarding into an out and got the Gruul player out of the game with a combination of Ornithopter, Vector Asp and Wake Thrasher. My remaining opponent knew it was crunch time, wanted to Gamble for his Helm of the Host but walked right into Unwind. He didn't draw into an answer to my graveyard or commander and i was able to take the game.
When was the last time i told you i love this deck?

Speaking of Gambles, Grenzo, Dungeon Warden struggled with inconsistency for a few games, which can happen with that deck. His victory came against Sigarda, Host of Herons (Voltron), Nezahal, Primal Tide and Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, ultimately.
My first few flips were wiffs, which had me flying under the radar for a while. The mono- dropped fast mana and got his commander on board, making him the prime target for punches, he had no blockers for. I did draw into Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker but kept it safe in hand, since i didn't have any abuseable targets for the moment. Nezahal, Primal Tide was busy staying alive, so most of his additional draws went into bouncing and countering what Sigarda, Host of Herons tried to pull off. When the superfriends deck was able to resolve Narset, Parter of Veils his efforts fell short though and he went down first. My first successful flip came when i hit Boundless Realms of the deck with Mindclaw Shaman eot before my turn. I held up my mana and went draw go. Dropping All That Glitters and Unquestioned Authority on the same turn Sigarda, Host of Herons was able to one-shot Atraxa, Praetors' Voice. Eot i dropped all my mana hitting mostly support creatures, but also Anger and Bogardan Dragonheart, so not all hope was lost. On my turn i went flip for flip, but nothing much materialized until i hit Skyscanner, which had me draw into Homura, Human Ascendant!I cast him, sacced him to Bogardan Dragonheart, still had a bit mana up to pump and was able to win.
Not my most "deserved" win, but that's EDH too, huh?

Omnath, Locus of Rage was a tough one. I just don't get excited about this deck anymore/for now. I might have to look for a replacement. Gallia of the Endless Dance looks like the only one i'd be really curious about, though.
Anyways, to make it short, the deck won against The Ur-Dragon, Kess, Dissident Mage and Syr Konrad, the Grim with a huge Genesis Wave that went uncountered and hit Purphoros, God of the Forge, Zendikar's Roil and several lands.

I did strike a bit lucky with Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist since her winning pod was against nothing but token strategies. A rather casually built Edgar Markov, Emmara, Soul of the Accord and Valduk, Keeper of the Flame struggled to overcome my commandress and her Glare of Subdual. Asceticism protected my board and with double mana by Regal Behemoth and draw off Beast Whisperer i was able to create an enormous board state. A well-timed Make a Stand against a desperate Blasphemous Act and i was able to take all opponents out at once with double mana and Mirror Entity.
MeowZeDung wrote:
1 year ago
vandertroll wrote:
1 year ago
Apparently drafting pools in my LGS don't let you keep your pulls. Instead, all mythic / rares are being pooled and the winner player picks first
I understand that the idea behind this is to encourage players to draft the best decks they can to focus on, you know, actually winning instead of just rare drafting. I respect the intent, but I still think it's a crap idea that leads to feel bads.
I completely agree.
If players want to enter a draft just to pull money value instead of drafting a fun(ctional) deck, that's a bad decision, but their decision ultimately. With the "keep what you pull" system it's everyone's individual choice to prioritize pulls over draft vice versa, the "winner picks first" system favors seasoned players and set researchers - and i hate it. If anything drafts should be fun enviroments for all players involved!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”