[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Toshi » 4 days ago

cryogen wrote:
4 days ago
I want to thank all our awesome users who made the site what it is. Y'all seriously rock.
Pfff, how selfish of you to point out yourself that shamelessly! :P

For real though, as sad as it is to see you go, i wish you nothing but the best for your upcoming and future endeavours!
You've been nothing short of an integral part of sally and this place. I will keep up with you on Twitter and will be looking forward to occasional visits of you on here - if you feel like going back to us turds every now and then.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 days ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 days ago
Great, now who I am gonna try to get the RC to ban? :P
If my experience is anything to go by, a card almost never being played won't stop people from wanting to ban it, so you can probably just stick with Cryogen.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 days ago

@cryogen

Don't feel alone in selling out; I recently sold all but my legacy deck myself. Thankfully I have friends with loads of extra cards to borrow if the desire for edh ever strikes me again, but I was also feeling pretty burnt out on having six grand tied up in cardboard I was using less and less frequently. Sometimes you just gotta let superfluous stuff go in order to better appreciate what you choose to keep.
Legacy Burn

There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)
In Memoriam
Show

You were banned
It felt like a death note
From far away

R.I.P Paradox Engine January 20, 2017-July 8, 2019. You are the one I will always remember, all the days of my life.
Special thanks to Takayanagi Shigenobu for the poem

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 days ago

@cryogen: I'm very sad to see you go, too. Your departure is a definite loss for this community. Good luck to you.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 7/2/21 (Modern Horizons 2)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 days ago

Honestly, the only thing keeping me in the game right now is that i'm too lazy to deal with pricing everything
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 days ago

cryogen wrote:
4 days ago
soul searching ... perspective ... focus ... priorities ... friends ... sell my entire collection ... my Magic days are behind me
I'm once again destined to disagree with you. According to Webster's, the colon punctuation symbol is used to let the reader know that what follows it has been described by what precedes it. Hence, the "magic" is in "the gathering", not the cards. So it sounds to me like your most magical days are ahead of you.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 days ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 days ago
Honestly, the only thing keeping me in the game right now is that i'm too lazy to deal with pricing everything
I hear you. Cryogen's post hit close to home because I've been feeling similarly, but I'm going to cut back my spending and try to ride the pandemic out before I reevaluate the game and my place in it. I played last week and still loved it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 7/2/21 (Modern Horizons 2)

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 days ago

cryogen wrote:
4 days ago
After a lot of soul searching (for lack of a better phrase), I've decided that my Magic days are behind me. I've been trying to tell myself that I wasn't just losing interest and it was merely the pandemic keeping me from playing, but really the pandemic just gave me the necessary perspective to focus on my priorities. So with the exception of a few decks which I'll keep in case I'm hanging with friends and they want to play or I change my mind down the road, I'm going to sell my entire collection.

It's been a wild ride this last decade and I've definitely made some good friends (as well as an enemy or two) in the process. I want to thank all my fellow mods and especially Feyd for all their hard work here and back in the Sally days. But most importantly, I want to thank all our awesome users who made the site what it is. Y'all seriously rock.

Take care and be safe everyone!
I want you to envision a 21-gun salute @cryogen. You've been a great contributor to this site and helping me learn the ropes for moderating when this lovely experiment started up is great.

The Mod room will be even more lonely, lol. Stay GREAT, my dude.

P.S. How did you make enemies from this game? I'd love to hear that story!

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 3 days ago

@cryogen -- I've only been around the periphery of this community for most of my time occasionally lurking here and at Sally before it, but I'm still plenty familiar with your contributions, and I want to thank you for them all. Sad to see you go, but I wish you the best going forward!
34 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 days ago

benjameenbear wrote:
3 days ago
Mostly from the old official forums, where moderation was nearly nonexistent and users were allowed to be more... colorful.

Fattyluvboat will always be the Joker to my Batman and they hated me with the burning passion of a thousand suns. Good times.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 days ago

cryogen wrote:
3 days ago
benjameenbear wrote:
3 days ago
Mostly from the old official forums, where moderation was nearly nonexistent and users were allowed to be more... colorful.

Fattyluvboat will always be the Joker to my Batman and they hated me with the burning passion of a thousand suns. Good times.
DUDE I REMEMBER FATTYLUVBOAT! What a character he was. A suitable villain of those ancient days. I wonder what happened to him... I also wonder what happened to Galspanic, he was also a mtgs OG iirc.

Edit: the mere mention of fatty threw me into flashback sequences so hard that it jogged my brain and I finally remember the username of my old mtgs account: aspacemaniam. Oh boy, time to look up what cringe thoughts I was thinking in 2012.
Last edited by TheAmericanSpirit 2 days ago, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy Burn

There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)
In Memoriam
Show

You were banned
It felt like a death note
From far away

R.I.P Paradox Engine January 20, 2017-July 8, 2019. You are the one I will always remember, all the days of my life.
Special thanks to Takayanagi Shigenobu for the poem

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 days ago

Good luck in your endeavors, Cryo. It was nice having someone proximate to the RC here regularly. Also, it's wild hearing y'all reminisce about the forum era, it really was a different time on the internet.
Decks: Feather, Judith, Varina, Zabaz

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 days ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 days ago
I feel this in my very soul. Most of my collection feels more and more like a burden every day.

Cheers Cryo, another old MTG man bites the dust.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 days ago

I have been weirdly having a lot of fun with the game. I took a 6 month ish break and now I'm brewing like a madman again :)

It's crazy how fast all the metas shift when you're out for a bit, and it's like a whole new game.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 day ago

@cryogen Really sorry to see you go.

Part of me wonders if in 50 years I will still be playing. And will MTGNexus still be running? I feel like the answers are yes, and that maybe one day you will get a magic craving and find that the community is still here to welcome you back.

Now enjoy life!
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”