[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 768
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 month ago

picked up the lorehold and silverquill precons... apparently the lorehold precon is getting snatched up left and right and i have no clue why
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 3520
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

It has the two best cards in the set. Tax and map

User avatar
Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Posts: 613
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: In a Turn-Based World

Post by Guardman » 1 month ago

Also to add, it has a Commander that is one of the few non-combat related Boros commanders in Osgir, the Reconstructor and includes plenty of red/white cards that play around in a space rarely played around in for Boros commander. A lot of Boros players are very excited about this, hence the high sales.

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 768
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 month ago

Guardman wrote:
1 month ago
Also to add, it has a Commander that is one of the few non-combat related Boros commanders in Osgir, the Reconstructor and includes plenty of red/white cards that play around in a space rarely played around in for Boros commander. A lot of Boros players are very excited about this, hence the high sales.
pokken wrote:
1 month ago
It has the two best cards in the set. Tax and map
so, I shouldn't open it and instead see how much it goes for in a few months?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

User avatar
EonAon
Posts: 98
Joined: 4 months ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by EonAon » 1 month ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
Guardman wrote:
1 month ago
Also to add, it has a Commander that is one of the few non-combat related Boros commanders in Osgir, the Reconstructor and includes plenty of red/white cards that play around in a space rarely played around in for Boros commander. A lot of Boros players are very excited about this, hence the high sales.
pokken wrote:
1 month ago
It has the two best cards in the set. Tax and map
so, I shouldn't open it and instead see how much it goes for in a few months?
Eh if your only buying it for resale sure but if your buying it for any of the cards to play, just crack it open. If anything buy a second one if possible and sit on that one for a year then sell if you feel the need to speculate prices. Admittedly I see Tax as the weaker of the investments since your opponents have to all play many spells per turn and some decks just cant or wont be able to fill that niche. Map on the other hand is a get something initially then something later which will probably stay up in price until something new comes and fills that design space.

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 3520
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
so, I shouldn't open it and instead see how much it goes for in a few months?
Commander decks are almost always worth less than the price of the individual cards, sealed, at least in my experience. I just crack mine and use the cards :)

User avatar
TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Posts: 544
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Under the chicken coop

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 month ago

pokken wrote:
1 month ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
so, I shouldn't open it and instead see how much it goes for in a few months?
Commander decks are almost always worth less than the price of the individual cards, sealed, at least in my experience. I just crack mine and use the cards :)
Sure, in the immediate during the print run. Just look at some of the prices for an OG daretti precon sealed on ebay and one can see that that the trend of "total cost of singles in the deck > value of sealed deck" only lasts for about 3ish years after release. After those 3 years, the darn thing becomes a collectible and the cost/value ratio gets defenestrated.

Edit: while posting this I accidentally fat fingered and pressed the "who is online" link at the bottom of the page. I never knew that was a link. It leads to a weird Marauder's Map for the site and its users. It was especially weird to see my own forum location as "viewing online users". That's kinda of like one of those theme park maps saying "You are here, reading this map".

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 3520
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 month ago
Sure, in the immediate during the print run. Just look at some of the prices for an OG daretti precon sealed on ebay and one can see that that the trend of "total cost of singles in the deck > value of sealed deck" only lasts for about 3ish years after release. After those 3 years, the darn thing becomes a collectible and the cost/value ratio gets defenestrated.
Is that true? The Daretti precon singles total is $146 and you can find built from scratch on ebay for 75.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1084548#paper

Wurmcoil engine and ruby medallion alone make up the vast majority of the cost, and obviously the mid prices are inflated.

User avatar
TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Posts: 544
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Under the chicken coop

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 month ago

pokken wrote:
1 month ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 month ago
Sure, in the immediate during the print run. Just look at some of the prices for an OG daretti precon sealed on ebay and one can see that that the trend of "total cost of singles in the deck > value of sealed deck" only lasts for about 3ish years after release. After those 3 years, the darn thing becomes a collectible and the cost/value ratio gets defenestrated.
Is that true? The Daretti precon singles total is $146 and you can find built from scratch on ebay for 75.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1084548#paper
Ah, see I forgot about the medallion price spike and the reprint in Commander Anthology 2. That explains a lot. I'll shift examples if you'll permit me; the Heavenly Inferno deck from 2011 is still way off on content prices vs sealed prices and I doubt that's the only one. I admit though, buying old sealed commander decks seem much more affordable than I previously thought.

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 3520
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 month ago
Ah, see I forgot about the medallion price spike and the reprint in Commander Anthology 2. That explains a lot. I'll shift examples if you'll permit me; the Heavenly Inferno deck from 2011 is still way off on content prices vs sealed prices and I doubt that's the only one. I admit though, buying old sealed commander decks seem much more affordable than I previously thought.
Yeah the original 2012 decks are a bit of a collectors' item but I don't think many after that are. They were so underprinted compared to future sets and the first of something is usually very collectible. If you look at the reprint of heavenly inferno it's much cheaper sealed of course (and much closer to the price point of the singles).

If you look at 2013 on they don't seem to hold much of a value surcharge at all.

It's possible that if you go 10 years in the future some of them will have sealed value but I seriously doubt anything massive enough to justify keepin then sealed.

There's also a bit of a quirk which is that if a deck really sucks (e.g. it has no real chaise contents) it's more expensive sealed because people are banking on future value =P

But overall you're not going to lose much cracking modern commander decks; maybe 10 years from now you'll have lost out on $50, but you got to play with the cards for 10 years.

User avatar
EonAon
Posts: 98
Joined: 4 months ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by EonAon » 1 month ago

Yeah individual card value is just weird anymore unless its a pretty blatant staple. I mean I picked up in Ixalan Wayward Swordtooth and DID NOT expect it to blow up into a 15+ dollar rare. Yeah its a commander driven price but still did not think it go over 50 cents when I picked them up.

Personally I see down the line the Witherbloom and Prismari decks keeping the most value since they both have cards that were underrated and dont stand out as obvious.

Lorehold may hold value because of Archaeomancer's Map Battlemage's Bracers and Cursed Mirror . Bronze Guardian might add to that value in artifact decks that can run white since ward is a very subtle ability and a growable doublestrike enabled creature can get out of hand quick. Otherwise the cover legendries are the ones that will keep the most value unless they print more off bore boros legendries.

I hate to say this but I think the Prismari deck might be the best but end up the worst for holding on monetary value. Odd enough to say it just not simic enough to get to where it wants and Prismari in the actual set does not extend its theme enough to be more than a occasional why the heck not.

Silverquill has some interesting things and Inkshield is pretty impressive....until you remember that Holy Day Hallow and Darkness exist and as a damage prevention trick its always better to be cheap than dead. The 5cc left open unless your group has huge alphas is going to be hard to justify not playing a removal rather that a preventer no matter how many fliers it can generate.

User avatar
materpillar
the caterpillar
Posts: 586
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Ohio

Post by materpillar » 1 month ago

EonAon wrote:
1 month ago
Silverquill has some interesting things and Inkshield is pretty impressive....until you remember that Holy Day Hallow and Darkness exist and as a damage prevention trick its always better to be cheap than dead. The 5cc left open unless your group has huge alphas is going to be hard to justify not playing a removal rather that a preventer no matter how many fliers it can generate.
Don't forget Batwing Brume which kills infinite token players too.

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 768
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 month ago

Image and the price hit won't mean a thing
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 2421
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by toctheyounger » 1 month ago

Yeah, as per usual with fetch reprints, these are not meaningful and will do nothing to bring prices down whatsoever. In fact with a new border and such these are probably more likely to go the other way.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

User avatar
Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Posts: 1506
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 month ago

I disagree.



Given the fact there haven't been any unplanned production shortages since JMP, this should mean plenty of fetches to go around. The three variants are actually a good thing - the base version is a regular rare in the set, and now there are all these fancy collectibles that can help drive the plain one's entry point down. This is the best reprint the enemy fetches have gotten since their original appearance. Literally the only thing one could nitpick at is that MH1 had a price point a notch above regular standard product. Here's hoping MH2 doesn't get hiked.
 
EDH Primers (click me!)
 
Deck is Kill Club
Show

User avatar
TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Posts: 544
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Under the chicken coop

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 month ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 month ago
Literally the only thing one could nitpick at is that MH1 had a price point a notch above regular standard product. Here's hoping MH2 doesn't get hiked.
Do you remember the masters set price trend? MM1 was like 4.99, but by the end there, double masters was like 13.99 per pack. I expect as more MH sets come out, they'll follow suit. MH2 will probably cost about 20% more than MH1, from 6.99 to 9.99 per pack is my wager.

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 3520
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

With fetches in a variety of different form factors (time shifted, time shifted foil, full art, full art foil, foil, normal) I'd expect prices to go closer to Khans fetches when they released -- remember there will be a ton of other value in this set, whereas Khans was basically a dud except for fetchlands from a price perspective.

The big unknown really is how the time shifted ones are distributed, not sure about that.

Horizon lands are *still* cheap after MH1 despite being played a lot.

User avatar
Sanity_Eclipse
Posts: 252
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 1 month ago

Well, more enemy fetches will be good. Hoping for a Temur legend I like this year, unsure of chances.

On a different note, have been tweaking Narset in my testing thread this past week or so, also came to a potential feeling I might keep Jhoira together but still retire her, and am thinking up something with Veyran, Voice of Duality. Lotta lately.
- Lyra -

- Naru Meha -

- Liliana -

- Chandra - Lovisa -

- Nissa - Titania -

- Lavinia X -
- Elenda -
- Yuriko -
- Saheeli -
-
- Glissa - Lathril - Meren -
-
-
-
- Koma -
-
- Anafenza -
- Sen Triplets -
- Narset -
- Inalla -
- Sidisi -
-
- Kaalia-V -
-
-

User avatar
JWK
Elder Thing
Posts: 418
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Post by JWK » 1 month ago

I am glad that it appears we will be getting a large printing of enemy fetches. This is much needed not only for us, but also for modern, and while I don't play modern, standard etc, I would like to see all of those formats recover and thrive because I don't think it good for the game as a whole, or even for commander, for commander to become the only format that really matters to WotC.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

User avatar
Dunharrow
Posts: 831
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Montreal

Post by Dunharrow » 1 month ago

So as far as UB goes... I know nothing of D&D and I think the cards are delightful.
The funny thing is how many of the teasers I have seen that reference things that clearly inspired Malazan.

@toctheyounger I imagine this set will be the closest you will ever be to a Malazan expansion. Don't you have a Tiam deck?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 2421
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by toctheyounger » 1 month ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 month ago
So as far as UB goes... I know nothing of D&D and I think the cards are delightful.
The funny thing is how many of the teasers I have seen that reference things that clearly inspired Malazan.

@toctheyounger I imagine this set will be the closest you will ever be to a Malazan expansion. Don't you have a Tiam deck?
I do, but honestly this iteration is pretty underpowered comparative to The Ur-Dragon. I don't think I have any immediate plans to switch.

Its probably not too surprising theres some overlap, apparently the Malaz world evolved from a tabletop campaign. Erikson's character was Dr Wu, who eventually became Shadowthrone/Kellanved.

Ngl though Vorpal Sword is a pretty neat version of Dragnipur.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

User avatar
DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Posts: 1915
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

Watched Love, Death, and Robots, but I'm not sure why. I think only a couple episodes were worth the time tbh =/ Seems like a show designed to be watched high, so you don't notice that they don't really go anywhere beyond establishing the premise. If only they'd taken as much time on follow-through as they spent finding ways to cram in gratuitous nudity, lol.

Annoyingly I'm still kinda hooked. The episodes are so short and it's fun to see what peoples' bad opinions on them are. Here's one real reviewer, on an episode about farmers on an alien world defending their crops from the native sliver-like hivemind creatures (a frankly pretty boring episode imo, since it's mostly a prolonged fight against copypasta enemies with protagonists that aren't well enough established to be likeable):
"Suits" is, on the surface, fun, charming, and good-hearted. Some red-blooded American farmers defend their land from unwanted invaders. Then the camera draws back at the end to reveal that humans are the ones invading and colonizing this planet and the episode stops being cute. The history of Native Americans being mistreated is no joke, and anything that shows white Americans as the heroes fighting for "their land" against what are characterized as wild, monstrous, native species is disingenuous at best.
I feel like if you see a sliver-like monster/animal species and you read that as coded Native American...uhh, that might be your own issue tbh...

(also idk why they'd be Americans lol, they're in frikkin' outer space.)

If anyone cares which episodes I thought were worth watching, I'd say Beyond the Aquila Rift and Zima Blue...Helping Hand was close but that ending was too corny.

User avatar
pokken
Posts: 3520
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 month ago
I feel like if you see a sliver-like monster/animal species and you read that as coded Native American...uhh, that might be your own issue tbh...
I think intentional coding is not likely but unintentional 'the people we are colonizing must deserve it' is pretty much ingrained in western civ now right?:P

Legend
Aethernaut
Posts: 621
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Eternity

Post by Legend » 1 month ago

pokken wrote:
1 month ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 month ago
I feel like if you see a sliver-like monster/animal species and you read that as coded Native American...uhh, that might be your own issue tbh...
. . . 'the people we are colonizing must deserve it' is pretty much ingrained in western civ now right?:P
An attitude that's hardly unique to any particular people, time, or place.
Cube of Legend: The worst cube ever.

User avatar
Sanity_Eclipse
Posts: 252
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 1 month ago

@WizardMN what's the art in your avatar pic? I like it.
- Lyra -

- Naru Meha -

- Liliana -

- Chandra - Lovisa -

- Nissa - Titania -

- Lavinia X -
- Elenda -
- Yuriko -
- Saheeli -
-
- Glissa - Lathril - Meren -
-
-
-
- Koma -
-
- Anafenza -
- Sen Triplets -
- Narset -
- Inalla -
- Sidisi -
-
- Kaalia-V -
-
-

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”