[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

User avatar
RxPhantom
Pharmacist
Posts: 621
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Southern Maryland

Post by RxPhantom » 4 months ago

tstorm823 wrote:
4 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 months ago
I must say that I was ambivalent on etched foils until I saw them in person. No picture I've seen has done them justice. How do I put this? Ah. They look flashy while also appearing...not too flashy? Perhaps 'tasteful' is the word I'm looking for. Anyway, I'm 100% sold on etched foils.
I'm not 100% sold yet. I have a random one I don't care strongly about sitting out in my room to see if it curls. If it doesn't, then I'm 100% sold.
I keep desiccants and silica packs strewn about my collection to prevent curling. So far, so good.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 3/14/21 (Kaldheim).

My (inactive) 720 Peasant Cube

User avatar
Yatsufusa
Posts: 89
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Yatsufusa » 4 months ago

WolfWhoWanders wrote:
4 months ago
I tend to really dislike foils, but these do look pretty decent. I'm not about to get any I don't think, no point changing my act at this point. I still think it's more enjoyable to "gaze into the distance" at a non foil too. Maybe I want to look at artwork too intensely to get why you'd want the equivalent of road glare or high beams up in your vision
I actually appreciate that aspect, it keeps me from admiring my cards for too long so I can focus on actually deckbuilding. Sure, foiling out my EDH decks is a vanity project and it seems ironic to not admire it, but I do appreciate admiration being cut short for efficiency and functionality. The real vanity part comes from when people go "wow" over their brief glimpse of your Judge Foil from long ago without dragging the game or asking so much before they got blinded. It sounds egomaniacal, but it doesn't actually happen that often either, but at the same time you'd be surprised that how much obscure foils (or foils of obscure cards) can get more attention than the likes of Reserved List "staples" (although that's mostly because at the LGS those don't move hands often and we already know the players with them/likely to have more of them). Of course as we keep getting exposed to nonstop variants people begin to get less and less interested, but at least it was fun while it lasted and it's not like I pay top-dollar for the most obscure foil when it comes to EDH (I actually usually go for the cheapest, they're usually obscure for other reasons).

It's the same reason I opted to collect nonfoils when I decided to collect Raymond Swanland cards when given the option (the real policy is first-print, so if it was a foil-only promo or deck-frontliner card, the foil gets in the binder, even if a nonfoil reprint appears down the route, man that Glorious Anthem was really the rare case of paying top-dollar for obscure foils for me), the foils either glare too much and murk too much because of his artstyle, and I collect those for the art.

On Etched Foils, I'm neutral. I actually think the foiling might have lowered the "overall quality", because I think the frame itself (bold, dark colors with white text) really makes the card stand out (somewhat like Planar Chaos frames, except it includes the text box as well), but I suspect the foil (not the white-on-dark) made the words themselves slightly less readable when I compared my regular Zara to the Etched Foil one. In addition, the normal foiling process usually highlights the art really well, but because it was so subdued here and the frame got so much an uplift, it made the card feel like it was Frame > Art.

The foil layering on art looks like the same on both regular and etched foils, but while the sparkle-effect works on the main focus of the art, I feel like it also makes the less-layered background characters/events/objects "unnatural", a background pirate looks like he came from Nyx somewhat. Sure he also reflected in regular foiling, but without the sparkles he still contrasted with his opposite-colored background so he still felt more grounded, because the foiling was "straight", so the contrast in the base art still works in visual favor. I suspect Etched cards would look better in nonfoil or regular foil, but we may never find out.

At the end of the day, it's definitely not the worst, and on a personal level I'm already so used to my decks being a Frankenstein of variants now it doesn't matter, if it's foil and reasonably-priced it gets a ticket into trial-town in my decks. I mean already run an out-of-place Egyptian Lord of Extinction in Karador (and I deliberately chose the Invocation despite disliking the frame because the whole art/flavor/feel of the card actually fits LoE here than it was on Alara ever), do I really care if some of my cards have different frames or look like they came outta Nyx?
Image

User avatar
Dunharrow
Posts: 794
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Montreal

Post by Dunharrow » 4 months ago

I know some of you are able to play with other people right now. In Montreal, we have not been allowed to go into other people's houses for a long time. Or their backyards, for that matter. Never mind in-store play!
So many sets have come out since I played commander that I don't even know how the format has changed. I can't even track all the additions I want to make because I am hoarding booster boxes until I can host drafts again.
With a kid on the way, starting to wonder if I will even be able to host drafts.
Which means my commander decks will be stuck in the past.

Oh well.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

User avatar
materpillar
the caterpillar
Posts: 497
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Ohio

Post by materpillar » 4 months ago

Dunharrow wrote:
4 months ago
I know some of you are able to play with other people right now. In Montreal, we have not been allowed to go into other people's houses for a long time. Or their backyards, for that matter. Never mind in-store play!
So many sets have come out since I played commander that I don't even know how the format has changed. I can't even track all the additions I want to make because I am hoarding booster boxes until I can host drafts again.
With a kid on the way, starting to wonder if I will even be able to host drafts.
Which means my commander decks will be stuck in the past.

Oh well.
I highly recommend PlayEDH's discord channel. I just set up a cardboard box on a table and threw in a light and a playmat. Then, I cut a hole in the top and use my phone (a really old Iphone 5) as a webcam (setting ontop of the box). Some free online software and wham... on demand commander with effectively zero set-up cost. It looks super janky and it's not nearly as nice as playing in person but I've still had a good time overall.

It felt a bit intimidating to try and get setup but in retrospect it was really easy. Sometimes you get non-games with strangers bringing garbage to the table but the vast majority of my games I've avoided that with some pre-game chitchat about what people are bringing to the table.

I plan on continuing to play online for the foreseeable future.

User avatar
Dunharrow
Posts: 794
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Montreal

Post by Dunharrow » 4 months ago

materpillar wrote:
4 months ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 months ago
I know some of you are able to play with other people right now. In Montreal, we have not been allowed to go into other people's houses for a long time. Or their backyards, for that matter. Never mind in-store play!
So many sets have come out since I played commander that I don't even know how the format has changed. I can't even track all the additions I want to make because I am hoarding booster boxes until I can host drafts again.
With a kid on the way, starting to wonder if I will even be able to host drafts.
Which means my commander decks will be stuck in the past.

Oh well.
I highly recommend PlayEDH's discord channel. I just set up a cardboard box on a table and threw in a light and a playmat. Then, I cut a hole in the top and use my phone (a really old Iphone 5) as a webcam (setting ontop of the box). Some free online software and wham... on demand commander with effectively zero set-up cost. It looks super janky and it's not nearly as nice as playing in person but I've still had a good time overall.

It felt a bit intimidating to try and get setup but in retrospect it was really easy. Sometimes you get non-games with strangers bringing garbage to the table but the vast majority of my games I've avoided that with some pre-game chitchat.
I looked into it early on. Saw a lot of ways people managed to play remotely. So far, I have managed to play Brawl on Arena a few times with friends while also talking in discord. That was really amazing. I think the social aspect is what I miss most! I draft on arena plenty but really just looking forward to having friends over to play.

In any case, even if I started playing virtually, at this point the last additions made to any of my commander decks were from January. I just don't crack packs unless I am drafting.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

User avatar
materpillar
the caterpillar
Posts: 497
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Ohio

Post by materpillar » 4 months ago

Dunharrow wrote:
4 months ago
I looked into it early on. Saw a lot of ways people managed to play remotely. So far, I have managed to play Brawl on Arena a few times with friends while also talking in discord. That was really amazing. I think the social aspect is what I miss most! I draft on arena plenty but really just looking forward to having friends over to play.

In any case, even if I started playing virtually, at this point the last additions made to any of my commander decks were from January. I just don't crack packs unless I am drafting.
Ever think of setting up a remote draft? There's online websites that let you do fake drafts. Then, you build the decks on Arena and play with each other. You have to have a fairly wide selection of cards in your arena account though.

Spelltable is a really really good way to play EDH with friends assuming you can get everyone to set up some flavor of webcam.

Not adding recent cards is probably fine as far as playing with strangers goes.

User avatar
JWK
Elder Thing
Posts: 335
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Post by JWK » 4 months ago

I will second the recommendation of playing on Spelltable/PlayEDH via webcam. I have been playing a lot of regular Commander on there, as well as a lot of Commander Legends sealed. It isn't as nice as hanging with a bunch of people at your LGS or somebody's home, but it is vastly safer, and a lot better than not playing at all.

Aside from that, my wife and I play some sealed and EDH one-on-one and with one couple who are friends of ours and who are also COVID-careful. We get together to do that every couple weeks, and my wife and I play against each other a couple times a week.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

User avatar
Dunharrow
Posts: 794
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Montreal

Post by Dunharrow » 4 months ago

materpillar wrote:
4 months ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 months ago
I looked into it early on. Saw a lot of ways people managed to play remotely. So far, I have managed to play Brawl on Arena a few times with friends while also talking in discord. That was really amazing. I think the social aspect is what I miss most! I draft on arena plenty but really just looking forward to having friends over to play.

In any case, even if I started playing virtually, at this point the last additions made to any of my commander decks were from January. I just don't crack packs unless I am drafting.
Ever think of setting up a remote draft? There's online websites that let you do fake drafts. Then, you build the decks on Arena and play with each other. You have to have a fairly wide selection of cards in your arena account though.
My friends are actually doing this on Friday nights. It just so happens that I cannot draft on Friday nights so I always miss out.
But hope to do a draft over the holidays.

I am actually working on an Arena cube for them to draft too.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

User avatar
Dunharrow
Posts: 794
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Montreal

Post by Dunharrow » 4 months ago

@JWK @materpillar
By the way, I know there are ways for me to play digitally. I was just more realizing that I will have not opened packs for a year soon and that it will be a nightmare for me to remember all the updates I wanted to make to my 20 decks.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

User avatar
JWK
Elder Thing
Posts: 335
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Post by JWK » 4 months ago

I can relate. Heck, I haven't really gotten very far into incorporating stuff from Ikoria, M21 or Zendikar Resurgent into my existing decks, now I've got Commander Legends as well. I go back and forth between it making me giddy and it being more than a little paralyzing.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

User avatar
Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Posts: 1440
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 months ago

I just went and looked at the changelogs of my primary builds, and there have been seven new includes between the four decks since IKO. So it seems quite likely that you won't get overwhelmed by infinite swaps to make :)

User avatar
Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Posts: 530
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: In a Turn-Based World

Post by Guardman » 4 months ago

JWK wrote:
4 months ago
I can relate. Heck, I haven't really gotten very far into incorporating stuff from Ikoria, M21 or Zendikar Resurgent into my existing decks, now I've got Commander Legends as well. I go back and forth between it making me giddy and it being more than a little paralyzing.
I know the feeling. I have more than a few changes I want to make for my Etali deck, along with swapping two of my decks to new ones (Korvold, Fae-Cursed King while fun, has a power-level problem {and durdling problem}, and Kykar, Wind's Fury was eh). But I haven't even gotten any cards since Theros Beyond Death, much less really dive into the changes I want to make.

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 2209
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by toctheyounger » 4 months ago

Dunharrow wrote:
4 months ago
I know some of you are able to play with other people right now. In Montreal, we have not been allowed to go into other people's houses for a long time. Or their backyards, for that matter. Never mind in-store play!
So many sets have come out since I played commander that I don't even know how the format has changed. I can't even track all the additions I want to make because I am hoarding booster boxes until I can host drafts again.
With a kid on the way, starting to wonder if I will even be able to host drafts.
Which means my commander decks will be stuck in the past.

Oh well.
Congrats on the kid on the way!

What these other guys have said are all fine ways to keep your game play up. As someone without a regular meta (me being the only person in my regular group of friends who plays MtG aside from my wife who does most of the parent stuff with a 7 month old), I've found things like untap, cockatrice and such to be a relatively easy way to pick up and play with minimal setup. Materpillar mentioned some of the games are pretty throwaway with people joining up and leaving without a trace or just bringing nuclear warheads to a knife fight, and that's definitely the case in my experience too, but it's better than nothing, and if you pick your lobbies right you avoid the worst of it.

On the other side of that coin, not sure if this is your first kid, but if it is, don't expect a ton of spare time moving forward. Parenthood is awesome and nothing compares to having your own little team of people, but it really is a massive change to the way you live your life. I guess that does depend on how committed you want to be and how much input your spouse expects, but even if it's not a 50/50 split, parenthood tries you in ways you never expected and adds a whole different dimension to your relationship with your spouse. It's rewarding and great, but it is far from easy.

For what it's worth I've managed to keep like...16 decks relatively up to date through the blistering release pace we've had this year, but keeping online lists collated, managing work and parenthood and keeping lists up to date as well as getting game play in has been really tough. I might have played like half a dozen games this year, and got to curate lists like 7-8 times in any meaningful way. Part of that is work and pandemic, but most of it is having a young kiddo.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

User avatar
ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Posts: 1134
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: SD, USA

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 months ago

I keep hearing this whole "no free time with parenting". My little girl turns one year old this month and I put her down to sleep at 7:15 PM every night and she doesn't bother me for the next 12 hours lol. Don't get me wrong, there are times she doesn't sleep well but I would put that at like.... one or two nights a month rather than the norm. She goes down and is out. I usually get 4-5 hours a night to do whatever I want after she goes to bed lol. We usually shower in the morning and go get her around 7:20 - 7:30AM the next day.

It gives me a baby free time of 7:15 - 11:30ish to do whatever I want. On weekends I often stay up a bit later than that. Maybe I am in for a brutal next child lol.
[EDH] Sram (auras) | Bruna | Heliod | Sai | Naban | Anje

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 2209
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by toctheyounger » 4 months ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 months ago
I keep hearing this whole "no free time with parenting". My little girl turns one year old this month and I put her down to sleep at 7:15 PM every night and she doesn't bother me for the next 12 hours lol. Don't get me wrong, there are times she doesn't sleep well but I would put that at like.... one or two nights a month rather than the norm. She goes down and is out. I usually get 4-5 hours a night to do whatever I want after she goes to bed lol. We usually shower in the morning and go get her around 7:20 - 7:30AM the next day.

It gives me a baby free time of 7:15 - 11:30ish to do whatever I want. On weekends I often stay up a bit later than that. Maybe I am in for a brutal next child lol.
Ngl, I kinda hate you for this lol.

Every kid is different though, we're just going through a pretty rough patch at the moment. Kiddo just wrestles to sleep every night, we're up 2-3 times a night and currently has an ear infection too. Sounds like you just got lucky with a golden child tbh. We also haven't done any form of sleep training/cry it out or whatever, just not what we wanted to do. That has meant committing more time to him than other parents probably do, but it really could just be that your wee one is a dream child.

There's also the whole chores thing - we do reusable nappies and our house is microscopic, so there's a ton of laundry and the house is constantly a mess. Lots to do always. We just couldn't bring ourselves to do disposables, seeing how much they inflated our garbage needs was just staggering.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

User avatar
Dunharrow
Posts: 794
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Montreal

Post by Dunharrow » 4 months ago

@ISBPathfinder and @toctheyounger
Thanks for your comments

I have so little time due to work that in the last 3 years I have probably played magic an average of 10 times/year.
Since Arena was added to macs in June, I have played Arena almost every day, which is a big change. I miss the social part, but it is a nice lunch break.

I fully expect that when the little one comes I will have next to no time to play with friends. I guess we'll see.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 2209
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by toctheyounger » 4 months ago

Dunharrow wrote:
4 months ago
@ISBPathfinder and @toctheyounger
Thanks for your comments

I have so little time due to work that in the last 3 years I have probably played magic an average of 10 times/year.
Since Arena was added to macs in June, I have played Arena almost every day, which is a big change. I miss the social part, but it is a nice lunch break.

I fully expect that when the little one comes I will have next to no time to play with friends. I guess we'll see.
Clearly from our comments it's a pretty mixed bag. Bare minimum I'd say don't take your spare time for granted, as it can be a lot of work raising a little one. But it's also one of the most rewarding things you've ever done, even if all that's required is being there and keeping them clean.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

User avatar
DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Posts: 1706
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 4 months ago

Not to barge in (I don't have any kids, sorry...my new gf is incredibly paranoid about pregnancy though, so I guess that's fun?) but one thing I want to lightly rant about is collector boosters.

Conceptually I don't really care about them - I mean, I have no interest in them, but so long as there's no functional exclusives it doesn't bother me. But holy cow - people around here buy these stupid things like crazy. Which I could understand if they were rabid foil collectors or superwhales or something, but I've seen a bunch of people buying them who have modest collections, have just a few commander decks, don't have any particular foil obsession, and they're blowing money on these ridiculous things without even thinking about it. And it's not like they're even buying a bunch of them - they'll buy, like, 1-2 collectors boosters hoping to get who-even-knows-what.

I think most of them are just hoping they'll get "something good", most likely for sell/trade value - when the EV on commander legends is so, so bad right now. There's only, like, 10 cards that can cover the cost of a booster, almost all at mythic. And foils and full-arts add what, like 20-25% extra value for a booster that's 3x the cost? Your odds of breaking even have to be absolutely abysmal. You basically NEED to crack a good foil full-art, or one of the top-tier mythics. And btw this is in NZ, where card value is automatically like 2/3 of the US because people just ignore the US/NZ exchange rate when looking at online prices. So I don't even think opening a full-art (or foil, unless it's both) scroll rack - 4th most expensive card in the set - will break you even.

I guess it annoys me because I want to believe that the larger playerbase will reject the obvious cash grabs from wotc so we can focus on the normal set releases that actually make the game...y'know...good. But apparently most players are idiots who will just blindly buy whatever garbage wotc makes. So apparently wotc is "right" to do all this predatory idiocy.

In the short term, it's also annoying to me personally because I'm trying to trade to complete my commander legends set cube, and it seems like a ludicrously high percentage of people are only cracking the damn collector boosters and only have foils to trade, blech.

User avatar
materpillar
the caterpillar
Posts: 497
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Ohio

Post by materpillar » 4 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 months ago
Not to barge in (I don't have any kids, sorry...my new gf is incredibly paranoid about pregnancy though, so I guess that's fun?) but one thing I want to lightly rant about is collector boosters.

Conceptually I don't really care about them - I mean, I have no interest in them, but so long as there's no functional exclusives it doesn't bother me. But holy cow - people around here buy these stupid things like crazy. Which I could understand if they were rabid foil collectors or superwhales or something, but I've seen a bunch of people buying them who have modest collections, have just a few commander decks, don't have any particular foil obsession, and they're blowing money on these ridiculous things without even thinking about it. And it's not like they're even buying a bunch of them - they'll buy, like, 1-2 collectors boosters hoping to get who-even-knows-what.

I think most of them are just hoping they'll get "something good", most likely for sell/trade value - when the EV on commander legends is so, so bad right now. There's only, like, 10 cards that can cover the cost of a booster, almost all at mythic. And foils and full-arts add what, like 20-25% extra value for a booster that's 3x the cost? Your odds of breaking even have to be absolutely abysmal. You basically NEED to crack a good foil full-art, or one of the top-tier mythics. And btw this is in NZ, where card value is automatically like 2/3 of the US because people just ignore the US/NZ exchange rate when looking at online prices. So I don't even think opening a full-art (or foil, unless it's both) scroll rack - 4th most expensive card in the set - will break you even.

I guess it annoys me because I want to believe that the larger playerbase will reject the obvious cash grabs from wotc so we can focus on the normal set releases that actually make the game...y'know...good. But apparently most players are idiots who will just blindly buy whatever garbage wotc makes. So apparently wotc is "right" to do all this predatory idiocy.

In the short term, it's also annoying to me personally because I'm trying to trade to complete my commander legends set cube, and it seems like a ludicrously high percentage of people are only cracking the damn collector boosters and only have foils to trade, blech.
image.png
Gambling is really fun. Gambling with higher stakes is even more fun. But the secondary market doesn't exist so legally opening packs isn't gambling, even though it definitely is.*shrug*

I worked at a gas station for almost year and got to witness the insane amount of money people who don't have any savings spend on lottery/scratch offs (which literally have the EV/odds printed on the back of the cards). You're assuming people operate on hard logic and EV way more than they do on trying to get that sweet sweet dopamine rush.

User avatar
DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Posts: 1706
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 4 months ago

I suspect people who operate on "never tell me the odds" logic are unlikely to have success at competitive MtG :laugh: Odds are preeeeetty relevant.

User avatar
cryogen
GΘΔ†
Posts: 990
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Westminster, MD
Contact:

Post by cryogen » 4 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 months ago
not-a-cube wrote:
4 months ago
Guardman wrote:
4 months ago
So I was wondering what people think of the Etched Foils. I am thinking about getting a few of the commanders I really like in the Etched treatment, but I haven't seen the Etched in real life (for obvious reasons) and everyone says that seeing a picture of the Etched doesn't really capture how it truly looks.
I don't like them all that much, the white text seem less clear, which annoys me. But I must admit i've only seen the pictures online, which don't always do the actual cards justice.

If anyone opened an etched foil Queen Marchesa, don't hesitate to upload a picture, I'd love to see how it actually looks, it's only one i'd consider buying to replace my regular foil.
I must say that I was ambivalent on etched foils until I saw them in person. No picture I've seen has done them justice. How do I put this? Ah. They look flashy while also appearing...not too flashy? Perhaps 'tasteful' is the word I'm looking for. Anyway, I'm 100% sold on etched foils.
I generally don't like foils, but these etched foils look really good. Thinking about getting Muldrotha, especially since it isn't too expensive.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 months ago
I keep hearing this whole "no free time with parenting". My little girl turns one year old this month and I put her down to sleep at 7:15 PM every night and she doesn't bother me for the next 12 hours lol. Don't get me wrong, there are times she doesn't sleep well but I would put that at like.... one or two nights a month rather than the norm. She goes down and is out. I usually get 4-5 hours a night to do whatever I want after she goes to bed lol. We usually shower in the morning and go get her around 7:20 - 7:30AM the next day.

It gives me a baby free time of 7:15 - 11:30ish to do whatever I want. On weekends I often stay up a bit later than that. Maybe I am in for a brutal next child lol.
Every kid and every situation is different, and I suspect that as your daughter grows your schedule will change. Kids are more demanding at first and require more around the clock care, but yeah in the evenings once they go to sleep is when you finally get downtime. Of course, if you've been going nonstop since you woke up then you might want to use those few hours you have to just decompress and not jump right into another activity. That's how it is for us, at least. Well, for my wife. I wake up so early that some nights I fall asleep right after putting the 3yo to bed.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

User avatar
Airi
Queen of Salt
Posts: 387
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 months ago

Yeah, definitely don't set expectations based on how one kid is. My brother was still living at home (he was 18) when my oldest niece was born, but she was the easiest baby I've ever seen. Slept pretty much through the night, didn't fuss much, etc. When they had my nephew a couple years ago, however, was a nightmare of sleep regression and an embodiment of the idea that "If I don't sleep, no one in a three mile radius will"
RGW Marath [PR] |WUBRG Jodah | WUBRG Najeela | GB Dina
WBG Tayam | BGU Otrimi the Ever-Cute | UW Yorion | RW Zirda | UR Veyran

User avatar
Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Posts: 121
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

My son didn't sleep through the night until he was almost 2 years old, waking up and causing a fuss several times a night before then. When he was really young and it was my turn to take care of him I'd frequently browse Salvation in the middle of the night to kill time until he was back to sleep. He's 6 now and much better, but those first few years were hellish.

User avatar
RxPhantom
Pharmacist
Posts: 621
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Southern Maryland

Post by RxPhantom » 4 months ago

My daughter just turned four. Sure, I have some time between her bedtime and mine, but I don't always want to dedicate it to Magic. On top of that, my work schedule often keeps me away from home all day, which means my days off are for family quality time. I'm only able to play Magic every two weeks if I'm lucky. Being a dad effing rules though.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 3/14/21 (Kaldheim).

My (inactive) 720 Peasant Cube

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 2209
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by toctheyounger » 4 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 months ago
Being a dad effing rules though.
This, 100%.

Don't ever worry about your hobbies though, they're never going to fill the void that spending time with your kid fills. It's a really special feeling. For the first time in a few weeks my son was awake before I left the house this morning, and the smile and cuddles I got before leaving is absolutely priceless. Such a good feeling.

Whatever your kid is like, between a dream kid and one that just doesn't sleep virtually at all, spending time with them is time you should never ever regret. You just gotta ride it out and realise that it might seem endless in terms of sleep deprivation, but it will pass eventually and its never their fault, sleeping through is something they learn at varying rates.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”