[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

User avatar
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Posts: 2309
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
2 years ago
Reddit has words for everything.
They're just not words that are relevant. Reddit: the congested colon of the internet. You can sig that.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

WBRKaalia of the Vast [THE Definitive Primer now feat. the other Kaalia!]
BRGKorvold, Fae-Cursed King [White Borders Edition]
GAyula, Queen Among Bears (BEAR POWERRR!! WIP)
RKari Zev, Skyship Raider [Aggro-Stax]

User avatar
Airi
Queen of Salt
Posts: 389
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 2 years ago

cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
As to the other part, I can neither confirm nor deny that I'm actually a googly eyed sock that resides on Sheldon's hand.
Having met Cryo IRL, I am willing to confirm that he is in fact, a sock puppet.
RGW Marath [PR] |WUBRG Jodah | WUBRG Najeela | GB Dina
WBG Tayam | BGU Otrimi the Ever-Cute | UW Yorion | RW Zirda | UR Veyran

User avatar
bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Posts: 435
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Contact:

Post by bobthefunny » 2 years ago

Sheldon wrote:
2 years ago
Well, if you saw my Twitter or FB post, you know that it got better.
Just went looking for this tweet for context... wow. That's.... I'm speechless.

User avatar
Sanity_Eclipse
Posts: 317
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

...Hello.

Was Sanity's_Eclipse on Sally. Got into Magic during high school with a couple of band friends. Played through most of college, started working like an adult, haven't actually played in a few years. Kinda keeping up with the game as some form of mental exercise, problem solving / deck building thing.

I see a number of familiar faces, which is nice. Blast from the past, this, having something of a community to shoot the breeze with. Good ol' college days, of history and aggro vampire decks, trying to figure out who the hell I am as a person.
More Decks
Show
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 861
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Airi wrote:
2 years ago
cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
As to the other part, I can neither confirm nor deny that I'm actually a googly eyed sock that resides on Sheldon's hand.
Having met Cryo IRL, I am willing to confirm that he is in fact, a sock puppet.
I knew it! but can you confirm his location as being on sheldon's hand and his eyes being googly??
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

User avatar
Gaea's Regent
Posts: 26
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Guatemala
Contact:

Post by Gaea's Regent » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
Gaea's Regent wrote:
2 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
I suspect it might be a case of a rough transition rather than a plan for sally to be no forums but I guess time will tell. If sally forums are done or down for some amount of time it might make a better transition over to here.
Oh hai. 👋🏼😊
There's an old face. I missed your sig and avy shop :p
I already made my first banner here. Might take a job here and there. 😊
From Gaea grew the world, and the world was silent. From Gaea grew the world’s elves, and the world was silent no more. —Elvish teaching

:) :) :) :) :halo: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :halo: :) :cussing: :) :) :halo: :) :cussing:

User avatar
cryogen
GΘΔ†
Posts: 1052
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Westminster, MD
Contact:

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

Gaea's Regent wrote:
2 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
Gaea's Regent wrote:
2 years ago


Oh hai. 👋🏼😊
There's an old face. I missed your sig and avy shop :p
I already made my first banner here. Might take a job here and there. 😊
I hope it's in Morse code.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.


madmazda86
Posts: 11
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: she / her

Post by madmazda86 » 2 years ago

Hello, I lurked on here many years ago when this was the place to go in spoiler season. Been playing again for 18 months, after a 10 year break. I love Sealed but otherwise I play casual commander every week with a nice playgroup that is unfortunately starting to suffer from a bit of power creep. Nice to meet you all :)

User avatar
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Posts: 2309
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

madmazda86 wrote:
2 years ago
Hello, I lurked on here many years ago when this was the place to go in spoiler season. Been playing again for 18 months, after a 10 year break. I love Sealed but otherwise I play casual commander every week with a nice playgroup that is unfortunately starting to suffer from a bit of power creep. Nice to meet you all :)
At least you can take solace in knowing it's not really your group but just the average power level of sets has been on a meteoric rise. Guess that doesn't help much though.

Welcome aboard all the same.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

WBRKaalia of the Vast [THE Definitive Primer now feat. the other Kaalia!]
BRGKorvold, Fae-Cursed King [White Borders Edition]
GAyula, Queen Among Bears (BEAR POWERRR!! WIP)
RKari Zev, Skyship Raider [Aggro-Stax]

User avatar
Surging Chaos
Posts: 6
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Surging Chaos » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
EDIT: @cryogen are you a brony and or a sock puppet for Sheldon..the suggestion came up over at reddit...
Plot twist: cryogen is a Kevin Durant burner account.

User avatar
bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Posts: 435
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Contact:

Post by bobthefunny » 2 years ago

I joined Cryogen for some games at his LGS, and brought a McDonalds kids meal toy that was a Rainbow Dash mask/glasses type thing to use as the Monarch King/Queen token (Conspiracy 2 had just recently come out).

Cryogen refused to wear the crown upon becoming the Monarch.

As such, I feel confident in saying that either he is not a Brony, or he's playing the long con and is so much a Brony that he expertly hides it so others can't find out.

User avatar
Vessiliana
Posts: 69
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: she / her
Location: Tokyo

Post by Vessiliana » 2 years ago

Hello? I used to be Kedvesem back on MTGS, but I'm trying to consolidate all my MTG names into Vessiliana. We'll see how well I succeed.

I started Magic with Worldwake, learning from friends how to play Standard. I researched on my own, learned about EDH, and that was that. I've been playing EDH/Commander almost exclusively ever since. I have ... too many decks.

Um, I guess that's it? That's the Magic-related stuff. What else is unusual about me?

I guess having eight children is unusual nowadays, ranging from age 20 down to under a year. Four play Magic. The eldest used to play a little--almost solely for the art--but she's a nun now and doesn't have cards anymore. So just the four playing now. My darling Sir plays, too.

User avatar
cryogen
GΘΔ†
Posts: 1052
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Westminster, MD
Contact:

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

Surging Chaos wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
EDIT: @cryogen are you a brony and or a sock puppet for Sheldon..the suggestion came up over at reddit...
Plot twist: cryogen is a Kevin Durant burner account.
I don't know who that is.
bobthefunny wrote:
2 years ago
I joined Cryogen for some games at his LGS, and brought a McDonalds kids meal toy that was a Rainbow Dash mask/glasses type thing to use as the Monarch King/Queen token (Conspiracy 2 had just recently come out).

Cryogen refused to wear the crown upon becoming the Monarch.

As such, I feel confident in saying that either he is not a Brony, or he's playing the long con and is so much a Brony that he expertly hides it so others can't find out.
I guess only time will tell.
Vessiliana wrote:
2 years ago
Hello? I used to be Kedvesem back on MTGS, but I'm trying to consolidate all my MTG names into Vessiliana. We'll see how well I succeed.

I started Magic with Worldwake, learning from friends how to play Standard. I researched on my own, learned about EDH, and that was that. I've been playing EDH/Commander almost exclusively ever since. I have ... too many decks.

Um, I guess that's it? That's the Magic-related stuff. What else is unusual about me?

I guess having eight children is unusual nowadays, ranging from age 20 down to under a year. Four play Magic. The eldest used to play a little--almost solely for the art--but she's a nun now and doesn't have cards anymore. So just the four playing now. My darling Sir plays, too.
Glad to have you over!
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

madmazda86
Posts: 11
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: she / her

Post by madmazda86 » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
At least you can take solace in knowing it's not really your group but just the average power level of sets has been on a meteoric rise. Guess that doesn't help much though.

Welcome aboard all the same.
Yeah, I dunno, it's just been the last 6 months or so that people have been busting out some quite meaty combo decks. We've had quite a lot of new people join in (another LGS closed) who have brought higher power decks, but they also had some lower level ones that they were happy to bring out after a win. But what happened instead, I guess, is that some other folks decided to spec up higher powered decks to match up. Now there's a chunk of people playing these, but it's getting a bit... messy. Now some people won't play against other people because of their decks. I hope things will settle down in time as we're finally starting to have some constructive conversations about it all :) Thanks for the welcome!

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 861
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

papa_funk wrote:
2 years ago
HoffOccultist wrote:
2 years ago

Honest question here: Which forums?
I personally hang out on on MtgCommander, Facebook, Sally, here now I guess, and Reddit when I'm feeling masochistic.
Gods...now i know what everyone means by reddit isn't the best to have a long term discussion. I posted before going to bed and i wake up it's like i don't even want to brother checking
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

User avatar
Yatsufusa
Posts: 99
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Yatsufusa » 2 years ago

Been out of the loop for a while, if my post history back at Salvation was any indicator. While I'm still generally phased out from the game at the moment, I decided to just create an account here first to inherit the name, if nothing else. Don't expect much (or anything at all) from me for quite some time yet.

Brief history of myself regarding the game/format for those interested - started playing MTG walking to a Champions of Kamigawa Prerelease with almost little knowledge. Nowadays, I generally only play EDH, the occasional Prerelease and I do have a Modern deck (Affinity) but I haven't played it for nearly two years, although to be fair I haven't really being playing much EDH currently either.

Found out about the format about a year before the first precons were released, but I was hesitant until they announced the precons, in which I decided to wait for its release before I started proper. Funny how daunting deckbuilding seemed during the hesitant phase, but the speed in which I modified the precon and moved on to building from scratch made it pretty ironic.

My first precon/deck was Animar and to this day it remains my flagship deck. I don't have a severe preference of colors and a few years ago I established a suite of 8 decks, divided evenly across colors (and almost evenly across all color pairs) and also across archetypes I knew I would continue enjoying from years' of experience before that. I'm also pretty Vorthos in function (I'm a bit disconnected from keeping up with the actual lore-in-details nowadays, but it doesn't really affect my preferences), although having to keep up with the competitive-side of my 75% LGS tables might have diluted it somewhat.

As mentioned, I'm not particularly active in the game (and discussions regarding it) at the moment, so there's that from me for now. It might be a blessing in disguise, considering the unknown-status of Salvation's future, so I don't really have to think about where to go since I'm not that active at the moment anyway.
Image

User avatar
bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Posts: 435
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Contact:

Post by bobthefunny » 2 years ago

Packing my stuff for moving. I may be a bit behind on doing drafts.


Last edited by bobthefunny 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
cryogen
GΘΔ†
Posts: 1052
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Westminster, MD
Contact:

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

Where are you moving to?
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

User avatar
Kelzam
Posts: 129
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Post by Kelzam » 2 years ago

madmazda86 wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
At least you can take solace in knowing it's not really your group but just the average power level of sets has been on a meteoric rise. Guess that doesn't help much though.

Welcome aboard all the same.
Yeah, I dunno, it's just been the last 6 months or so that people have been busting out some quite meaty combo decks. We've had quite a lot of new people join in (another LGS closed) who have brought higher power decks, but they also had some lower level ones that they were happy to bring out after a win. But what happened instead, I guess, is that some other folks decided to spec up higher powered decks to match up. Now there's a chunk of people playing these, but it's getting a bit... messy. Now some people won't play against other people because of their decks. I hope things will settle down in time as we're finally starting to have some constructive conversations about it all :) Thanks for the welcome!
My main store went through this for a while. Communication is definitely key, because escalation like this happens easily. All it takes is a few bad games of someone getting stomped into the ground to decide either 1.) they don't want to play the format anymore, or 2.) they need to upgrade their power level. Next thing you know you have tables full of Narsets, Urzas and Superfriends decks. After my store tried a league and it fell apart halfway through the 2nd month, I had a talk with our regular on an individual pod basis. The league was fraught with bad feelings due to "90%" decks playing at the same table as people just starting and playing precons out of the box and different levels of skill. My husband and I made a point of making some medium power decks and always having extra decks on us to loan new players, and tried to bring up the point of power level and making sure everyone could enjoy the games and the mentality started to spread around the store and in the couple years since then we've settled into a pretty good place.
Level 1 Judge US-South
Founder of MTG Salvation (2005-2019), Proud New Patron of MTG Nexus! (2019+)

My CMDR Primers:

User avatar
bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Posts: 435
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Contact:

Post by bobthefunny » 2 years ago

cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
Where are you moving to?
About 30min away. I bought a townhouse. Kinda near where WF used to live. We discussed this before. I was trying to see if things would be done in time to host ECMMU possibly. (spoiler: they're not. Though, tbf, I'm taking my time).

I've been moving like 6-10 boxes at a time every time I go over there. It's the most casual move ever. Today I moved over my art supplies, some Nerf stuff, and my 3d printers. And I started assembling some dining room chairs.

Contractors who are doing my floors didn't have enough wood to finish, but hopefully they'll get the shipment this coming week and wrap that up. Now I'm trying to figure out repainting a significant portion of the house.

madmazda86
Posts: 11
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: she / her

Post by madmazda86 » 2 years ago

Kelzam wrote:
2 years ago
My main store went through this for a while. Communication is definitely key, because escalation like this happens easily. All it takes is a few bad games of someone getting stomped into the ground to decide either 1.) they don't want to play the format anymore, or 2.) they need to upgrade their power level. Next thing you know you have tables full of Narsets, Urzas and Superfriends decks. After my store tried a league and it fell apart halfway through the 2nd month, I had a talk with our regular on an individual pod basis. The league was fraught with bad feelings due to "90%" decks playing at the same table as people just starting and playing precons out of the box and different levels of skill. My husband and I made a point of making some medium power decks and always having extra decks on us to loan new players, and tried to bring up the point of power level and making sure everyone could enjoy the games and the mentality started to spread around the store and in the couple years since then we've settled into a pretty good place.
Yeah, somebody does indeed have an Urza deck, and another person has a Roon combo deck that takes ages to finish going off so it's really dull to sit and wait through that. The person with the Urza deck likes talking about the combo potentials more than actually doing it though, haha, I had a funny game with him in the pod because he miscounted his mana and realised he didn't have enough to pay for his Pact of Negation that he played on the last turn, so lost. Yesterday we played and it was a really fun set of games actually, I really enjoyed myself - even against the Roon player cos we had some good banter and we had Planechase out so that was super fun. My husband similarly had a great time in his pod with a really interactive back and forth game. I had been a bit worried about coming to the playgroup that day because the conversation we'd had about deck power levels the previous week had gotten quite personal at points but it was a really great day! It made me feel quite positive for the future :D

User avatar
cryogen
GΘΔ†
Posts: 1052
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Westminster, MD
Contact:

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
2 years ago
cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
Where are you moving to?
About 30min away. I bought a townhouse. Kinda near where WF used to live. We discussed this before. I was trying to see if things would be done in time to host ECMMU possibly. (spoiler: they're not. Though, tbf, I'm taking my time).

I've been moving like 6-10 boxes at a time every time I go over there. It's the most casual move ever. Today I moved over my art supplies, some Nerf stuff, and my 3d printers. And I started assembling some dining room chairs.

Contractors who are doing my floors didn't have enough wood to finish, but hopefully they'll get the shipment this coming week and wrap that up. Now I'm trying to figure out repainting a significant portion of the house.
Oh did we? Well either way, that's pretty cool. And that's such a great feeling to have that casual move, isn't it? We took forever to move into our new house and finally sell the old place.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

User avatar
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Posts: 2309
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Kelzam wrote:
2 years ago
madmazda86 wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
At least you can take solace in knowing it's not really your group but just the average power level of sets has been on a meteoric rise. Guess that doesn't help much though.

Welcome aboard all the same.
Yeah, I dunno, it's just been the last 6 months or so that people have been busting out some quite meaty combo decks. We've had quite a lot of new people join in (another LGS closed) who have brought higher power decks, but they also had some lower level ones that they were happy to bring out after a win. But what happened instead, I guess, is that some other folks decided to spec up higher powered decks to match up. Now there's a chunk of people playing these, but it's getting a bit... messy. Now some people won't play against other people because of their decks. I hope things will settle down in time as we're finally starting to have some constructive conversations about it all :) Thanks for the welcome!
My main store went through this for a while. Communication is definitely key, because escalation like this happens easily. All it takes is a few bad games of someone getting stomped into the ground to decide either 1.) they don't want to play the format anymore, or 2.) they need to upgrade their power level. Next thing you know you have tables full of Narsets, Urzas and Superfriends decks. After my store tried a league and it fell apart halfway through the 2nd month, I had a talk with our regular on an individual pod basis. The league was fraught with bad feelings due to "90%" decks playing at the same table as people just starting and playing precons out of the box and different levels of skill. My husband and I made a point of making some medium power decks and always having extra decks on us to loan new players, and tried to bring up the point of power level and making sure everyone could enjoy the games and the mentality started to spread around the store and in the couple years since then we've settled into a pretty good place.
I wish I had a local meta like this. It's all the super max power players (Edric turns is talked about as "the grinder deck") and casual players adamant about their bad cards that look at you funny because you brought Kaalia of the Vast or tried to have a serious conversation about basic card advantage theories and offer upgrade suggestions to every draft fodder card they play.

Wow that sounds like I have the problem not them.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

WBRKaalia of the Vast [THE Definitive Primer now feat. the other Kaalia!]
BRGKorvold, Fae-Cursed King [White Borders Edition]
GAyula, Queen Among Bears (BEAR POWERRR!! WIP)
RKari Zev, Skyship Raider [Aggro-Stax]

User avatar
Hermes_
Posts: 861
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Kelzam wrote:
2 years ago
madmazda86 wrote:
2 years ago


Yeah, I dunno, it's just been the last 6 months or so that people have been busting out some quite meaty combo decks. We've had quite a lot of new people join in (another LGS closed) who have brought higher power decks, but they also had some lower level ones that they were happy to bring out after a win. But what happened instead, I guess, is that some other folks decided to spec up higher powered decks to match up. Now there's a chunk of people playing these, but it's getting a bit... messy. Now some people won't play against other people because of their decks. I hope things will settle down in time as we're finally starting to have some constructive conversations about it all :) Thanks for the welcome!
My main store went through this for a while. Communication is definitely key, because escalation like this happens easily. All it takes is a few bad games of someone getting stomped into the ground to decide either 1.) they don't want to play the format anymore, or 2.) they need to upgrade their power level. Next thing you know you have tables full of Narsets, Urzas and Superfriends decks. After my store tried a league and it fell apart halfway through the 2nd month, I had a talk with our regular on an individual pod basis. The league was fraught with bad feelings due to "90%" decks playing at the same table as people just starting and playing precons out of the box and different levels of skill. My husband and I made a point of making some medium power decks and always having extra decks on us to loan new players, and tried to bring up the point of power level and making sure everyone could enjoy the games and the mentality started to spread around the store and in the couple years since then we've settled into a pretty good place.
I wish I had a local meta like this. It's all the super max power players (Edric turns is talked about as "the grinder deck") and casual players adamant about their bad cards that look at you funny because you brought Kaalia of the Vast or tried to have a serious conversation about basic card advantage theories and offer upgrade suggestions to every draft fodder card they play.

Wow that sounds like I have the problem not them.
(I couldn't resist) Admitting you have a problem is the first step
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”