[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

Umbrella Academy has been a fun show, not the best but it's just fun snd a little different from the superhero stuff we have had.

On a separate note I've really enjoyed Owl House on Disney. It's a fun western fantasy Isekai and that has some really soild word building.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 year ago

I've mainly been using Netflix for pre-bed Seinfeld lately. That's a good show as it turns out, and I can now see various echoes of its storytelling in other shows I've enjoyed that came after it.

Heh, I've been trying to make my way through Umbrella Academy, got stuck midway through season three. It is appreciated that they dialled back some of the cringier aspects of the first season in subsequent instalments, but by now I feel like I'm watching the same shtick unfold a third time. Yeah, the character interactions are okay, but why is the world always ending somehow?

I have a very strange relationship with Bojack, where it sucks the life out of me when I watch it, but somehow I remember nothing of it when it's over. I've watched the entire show twice over yet remember a single digit number of episodes, and the plot lines of entire seasons just vanish from my memory.

I never clicked with Russian Doll. Watched both seasons, it's possible it's a case of me not being able to see the forest for the trees.

I've actually somewhat enjoyed some Peacock originals, checked them out as they've got some tried and true people manning the controls, and both of the ones I watched just happened to have season twos come out recently. I did not expect to like Girls5eva as much as I did, but I'm pretty sure I'm surprisingly close to the target audience for a lot of the musings of the show. The first season was already very well formed, so the new episodes just played into it and remained consistent. In turn, I found the first season of Rutherford Falls to be a bit of a mixed bag. The crass, overpowering presence of Ed Helms's character may well be a form of social commentary, but it detracted from the experience for me. However, just like The Office and Parks & Recreation tuned up after the first season, so too did this show. The strengths were amplified, the issues amended. If forced to nitpick, the show ends up feeling a bit derivative of Parks & Rec due to its exploration of political topics, but it's still a good watch.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
1 year ago
Umbrella Academy has been a fun show, not the best but it's just fun snd a little different from the superhero stuff we have had.
The boys is also a fun show but that's very YMMV
Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 year ago

I've actually somewhat enjoyed some Peacock originals, checked them out as they've got some tried and true people manning the controls
Right now, there's only one original on peacock that i'd like to watch and that's One of Us if Lying but one show isn't enough for me to subscribe.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
1 year ago
Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 year ago

I've actually somewhat enjoyed some Peacock originals, checked them out as they've got some tried and true people manning the controls
Right now, there's only one original on peacock that i'd like to watch and that's One of Us if Lying but one show isn't enough for me to subscribe.
I've also enjoyed The Boys though I need to be in a good headspace for it cause while it's well done and very well written some of the more graphic stuff goes too far for me.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Finally have my actual pilot license in hand! Took Lily up as my first passenger and did a little fly around Gibbs Farm (interesting place, huge outdoor sculpture garden). @toctheyounger lmk if you want to do a scenic flight at some point - I have to do 75 more hours for my commercial anyway, so I'm flying pretty much anyone who wants to lol.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Finally have my actual pilot license in hand! Took Lily up as my first passenger and did a little fly around Gibbs Farm (interesting place, huge outdoor sculpture garden). @toctheyounger lmk if you want to do a scenic flight at some point - I have to do 75 more hours for my commercial anyway, so I'm flying pretty much anyone who wants to lol.
I am pretty sure I would vote for the set of Hobbiton. Watch out for the Party Tree!
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

Congrats and good luck @DirkGently. I assume you are looking to do so for a profession?
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Hey thanks man! Family is in iso right now so probably not on the cards anytime soon, but I know where to find you.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
dumb question but does the actual license look like a driver's license?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently

@ISBPathfinder That's the plan. I'll need a CPL and most likely an instructor rating before I'm going to have a shot at a job though.

@Hermes_ Kinda, same size and plastic. It lists the types of planes I can fly, so that's a little different. Biggest difference is that there's no photo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

I think my success at making trash decks has created a new dynamic - now Mike, playing upgraded precons competently is winning all the time lol. I think a big issue is that we only get 3 people usually, and John is usually pretty useless…I do the best I can to keep Mike under control by my tools are limited. Hmm.

I'll see if the problem persists before taking action.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
I think my success at making trash decks has created a new dynamic - now Mike, playing upgraded precons competently is winning all the time lol. I think a big issue is that we only get 3 people usually, and John is usually pretty useless…I do the best I can to keep Mike under control by my tools are limited. Hmm.

Why don't you all share Mike's decks?
Or get John to play one of your non-trash decks and see what happens.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago

I say it's time to meet Mike at the upgraded-precon middle. Keeps Mike humble, and gives John a nudge to take the hint and bulk up.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

So I just discovered the Thanks List in the quick links tab, and holy %$#% I did not realize we were actively being ranked by our internet points. How the hell am I number 6? The top 5 make sense; pokken, Dirk, WizardMN, Void, and Toc are forum giants. Me, I just show up. I've started like 12 threads. Maybe a clean top 100 member for attendance, but I keep looking at it and still can't believe I cracked top 10 on anything anywhere. Wow. That is either really %$#% cool or lame as %$#%, but I don't care. Top 10!

On the other hand, maybe that list shouldn't exist. We already have the badges, why do we need a karma list too? My presence alone in the upper echelons should be proof enough that it's a bad metric to showcase Nexus's Best and Brightest.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
So I just discovered the Thanks List in the quick links tab, and holy %$#% I did not realize we were actively being ranked by our internet points. How the hell am I number 6? The top 5 make sense; pokken, Dirk, WizardMN, Void, and Toc are forum giants. Me, I just show up. I've started like 12 threads. Maybe a clean top 100 member for attendance, but I keep looking at it and still can't believe I cracked top 10 on anything anywhere. Wow. That is either really %$#% cool or lame as %$#%, but I don't care. Top 10!

On the other hand, maybe that list shouldn't exist. We already have the badges, why do we need a karma list too? My presence alone in the upper echelons should be proof enough that it's a bad metric to showcase Nexus's Best and Brightest.
Huh that's an interesting list. I don't post a ton but I get thanks on 40% of my posts which is pretty cool. Which I was feeling pretty good about, you know quality over quantity to get on the first page. Then, I did some math for fun.

Here's top 3 in highest conversions of thanks/posts on the first page as done by someone who was scrolling on their phone and might have missed someone. Drum roll please….

@RxPhantom gets a solid 49%
@tstorm823 with an impressive 51% of his posts
@TheGildedGoose gets thanked 55% of his posts (on average). What a monster! Congratulations on having the highest amount of likes per post on average. Here's my favorite emoji in your honor 🤔
Last edited by materpillar 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago

Huh that's an interesting list. I don't post a ton but I get thanks on 40% of my posts which is pretty cool. Which I was feeling pretty good about, you know quality over quantity to get on the first page. Then, I did some math for fun.

Turns out the top 3 in highest conversions of thanks/posts on the first page is the following. Drum roll please….

@TheGildedGoose gets thanked 55% of his posts (on average). What a monster! Congratulations on having the highest amount of likes per post on average.
Funny you should mention goose's conversion rate. Depending on what Goose says next, we'll see how funny.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Funny you should mention goose's conversion rate. Depending on what Goose says next, we'll see how funny.
It's funny how worthless little statistics like this can change your actions. I kinda want to post better and hope my last post gets a bunch of likes to draw me closer to the higher hit rate of our glorious, extremely well liked goose.

*news reporter voice*
Let's see how the goose responds to this newfound community pressure to succeed.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

So I'm a thank spammer because it's very convenient way for me to interact. If I often agree with you (or just appreciate your perspective) it probably skews ratios a lot lol. :).

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago

@TheGildedGoose gets thanked 55% of his posts (on average). What a monster! Congratulations on having the highest amount of likes per post on average. Here's my favorite emoji in your honor 🤔
It's been better.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Here's top 3 in highest conversions of thanks/posts on the first page as done by someone who was scrolling on their phone and might have missed someone. Drum roll please….
Tread carefully, broad is the road that leads to Reddit.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

I'll have everyone know I am on page 3 of the thanks list.

*ahem* *mainstream youtuber voice* Please thank this post, upvote, like, comment and subscribe. Don't forget to ring that bell! Also check out my twitter, instagram, facebook, linkedin, whatsapp, snapchat, reddit, tiktok, myspace, and my various forum profiles. I'd be so grateful if you'd just hit me up with that engagement so my numbers start to trend. Gotta work on feeding the algorithm. Anyways, next video's gonna be a bit delayed, still trying to get it edited before the end of the month, but we are planning on launching the kickstarter any day now so keep an eye out for that. Oh and don't forget to sign up to Patreon to donate to the channel, we'd really appreciate that.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
I'll have everyone know I am on page 3 of the thanks list.

*ahem* *mainstream youtuber voice* Please thank this post, upvote, like, comment and subscribe. Don't forget to ring that bell! Also check out my twitter, instagram, facebook, linkedin, whatsapp, snapchat, reddit, tiktok, myspace, and my various forum profiles. I'd be so grateful if you'd just hit me up with that engagement so my numbers start to trend. Gotta work on feeding the algorithm. Anyways, next video's gonna be a bit delayed, still trying to get it edited before the end of the month, but we are planning on launching the kickstarter any day now so keep an eye out for that. Oh and don't forget to sign up to Patreon to donate to the channel, we'd really appreciate that.
:sick: :sick:

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Just started watching it with Lily and it's fun so far. We'll see if we can make it through all three seasons plus invincible during the prime trial period lol. Any other amazon originals we should check out while we've got it?
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I say it's time to meet Mike at the upgraded-precon middle. Keeps Mike humble, and gives John a nudge to take the hint and bulk up.
Nah, if I go upgraded precon I'll go back to where I was before if not worse (also upgrading a precon is kind of a nebulous space for me...how much do I upgrade it? Plus all my unmodified precons are in different sleeves so it's a whole thing). I could conceivably go back to unmodified precons and see how that competes in the new environment.

A big part of the issue for John is less the cards and more the skill. He has easily the most money to sink in (he's a multi-millionaire 1% business owner, so it's kind of ridiculous how he brags about his $20 cards), he just can't construct a competent deck to save his life and he's the Hellen Keller of seeing good lines (idk how many times I've told him "you should consider putting coin counters on ENEMY creatures" when he plays his Athreos, Shroud-Veiled deck). Starting from a precon is definitely the best way to go for someone at his level, but he keeps trying to construct his own stuff and it's always kind of an unfocused mess that tries to have 8 different synergies, half of which have no actual payoff (i.e. "vampire tribal" with no lords or other incentives for having vampires). And then when we play he'll always say "I can't believe I haven't drawn my cards that do X (usually recursion). I put a TON of them in here!" and then on further examination it turns out he put in four.

I'm doing my best to help him but it's a real uphill battle.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago

Nah man, your communication is always quality. Whenever you interject or contribute its always entertaining, often insightful and commonly hilarious.

Kudos on your internet notoriety. If we never achieve anything else in our lives (a very real possibility for me) we can at least etch this on a headstone.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago

I think Sheldon is the highest of all at about 156% 😲
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”