[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Unlike The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (which has the whole video on YouTube and I rewatched yesterday) Yojimbo doesn't seem to be available to watch for free :(

But I did watch what I think is the finale action scene on YouTube and...uh...I mean I guess it was an earlier time and all, and choreography isn't what it is today. But like...he just runs around and smacks people with the grace of a high school LARPer. Most of them aren't even facing him, don't look like they're trying to fight at all, or at best they're running with their swords held high, completely undefended. Nobody seems to make any attempt to attack him except the pistol guy, who, after missing his first shot, shoots straight up into the air (?). I especially like how the pistol guy tricks him into giving him his pistol back by claiming it only had two shots (was that common for a pistol at that time?) and he spends ages looking at the gun but doesn't bother to check if it's loaded - which it is - but the bad guy suddenly has a bad case of plot convenience and goes blind or something, before dying a few minutes later.

I guess I just have no appreciation for the classics. But I mean...The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly came out just 5 years later and holds up waaaay better imo.

(video if anyone is curious:
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I'm sure Kurosawa would've had explosions and an Ant-Man cameo if he could.
Lol, I'm not trying to compare it to modern movies, I'm comparing it to a movie that came out within the same decade. You don't need CGI to have decent choreography. Is it too much to ask that the bad guys at least look like they're attempting to hit the hero? Or at least like they've maybe heard of the concept of swords?

The beginning of the fight is fine, but everything after he throws the dagger is just pure comedy. He's running around like he's playing the best %$#%$#% game of whack-a-mole of his life.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Why is the text so garbled? Don't even look like magic cards tbh. Though neither do modern magic cards...
Its comments like this have earned you "old man yelling at cloud" status in my eyes, i should note i also have that status but for other reasons (why do stores feel the need to change layouts?)

Also, the AI art is more "in the style of" depending on how much you tweak it among other things.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
(why do stores feel the need to change layouts?)
To force you to locate and mentally process everything again in hopes that you'll run into some other stuff that you can be convinced to buy along the way. Capitalism -- a source for everything from slow threats of extinction to minor everyday nuisances, all in service of the profit motive!
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Toshiro Mifune wears it much better.

He's the effing man!
My online alias has been an abbreviation of him for about 20 years now. :)

DirkGently

I guess I'll rent Yojimbo since y'all are fangirling so hard over it. I wouldn't want to talk too much smack without seeing the whole thing. That finale scene really doesn't do much for my expectations though.
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Why is the text so garbled? Don't even look like magic cards tbh. Though neither do modern magic cards...
Its comments like this have earned you "old man yelling at cloud" status in my eyes, i should note i also have that status but for other reasons (why do stores feel the need to change layouts?)

Also, the AI art is more "in the style of" depending on how much you tweak it among other things.
That wasn't the post you called me an old man yelling at clouds about though?

I haven't interacted with AI image/text generation personally, just seen other people's stuff - there are a lot of "AI generated mtg cards" videos and such, but I guess those are using a text AI to generate the text separately from the image generation.

Hammy Maanne is the funniest damn thing all week though. The fact that there's a boar human in magic - and only one - is just comedically perfect. If you don't find that excellent, I don't know what to tell you.

Magic cards not looking like magic cards is less of a dig at the modern card frame - I don't really care too much about that - and more about the infinite alternate versions that are constantly trying to upstage each other. This printing of Mondrak sure isn't recognizable as a magic card at a glance. I guess that makes me an old man yelling at clouds a bit, but I bet you could take a (whatever the next alternate printing will be) card, put it in a stack of cards from other cards games, and any magic player would take a while to find it. Take away that person's glasses and they've got no chance at all.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

so one of the other avrils i did gave a planeswalker style card
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Lol, I'm not trying to compare it to modern movies, I'm comparing it to a movie that came out within the same decade. You don't need CGI to have decent choreography. Is it too much to ask that the bad guys at least look like they're attempting to hit the hero? Or at least like they've maybe heard of the concept of swords?

The beginning of the fight is fine, but everything after he throws the dagger is just pure comedy. He's running around like he's playing the best %$#%$#% game of whack-a-mole of his life.
While I agree that the fight scene isn't exactly amazing, you're kind of missing the point. The fight - which lasts all of 20 seconds - is much shorter than the build up to the actual fight itself. The framing, the music, and the blowing wind all combine to create a long tension that is released suddenly and violently.

Complaining about the fight scenes in Kurosawa movies is like complaining about the repetitive plot structure of Marvel movies. Yojimbo isn't an action movie. It'll make a little more sense when you watch the whole movie, but the violence is a means to and end rather than the end in and of itself.

DirkGently

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
While I agree that the fight scene isn't exactly amazing, you're kind of missing the point. The fight - which lasts all of 20 seconds - is much shorter than the build up to the actual fight itself. The framing, the music, and the blowing wind all combine to create a long tension that is released suddenly and violently.

Complaining about the fight scenes in Kurosawa movies is like complaining about the repetitive plot structure of Marvel movies. Yojimbo isn't an action movie. It'll make a little more sense when you watch the whole movie, but the violence is a means to and end rather than the end in and of itself.
Maybe it's my modern sensibilities talking, but I don't see anything very unique or stylistic about any of it. As both sides are approaching each other, the camera pretty much goes shot reverse shot (with some variation in the exact location) while slightly drawing in...that seems like a pretty obvious choice to me? The wind blowing is like...fine at times, but I honestly hate the choice to use it so heavily during the actual "fight". It completely overshadows the action and is annoying and distracting. Yeah yeah metaphor fine whatever, but it doesn't do anything useful as far as the feeling the scene is trying to create, or should be trying to create imo. At least turn it down a couple decibels. Is a tornado coming through?

But by far the biggest difference imo is the music. I would describe the music in that scene as "workmanlike" at absolute best, and "dated and boring" at worst. "Siri, create a tense mood" circa 1950. Followed by a few seconds of generic old-movie dramatic music that then cuts off for the oh-so-exciting wind noises. Ennio Morricone's score is in a different universe. I heard that %$#% when I was 8 and I'm still whistling it. Absolutely iconic and incredible and elevates the final GBU shootout to a completely different plane imo.

Plus I find the camera decisions to be a lot more interesting in the GBU shootout, but I'm way less literate in film than I am in more writing-centered things.

And also...yes, I will complain about the repetitive structure of Marvel movies tyvm. Is that not allowed?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago

Maybe it's my modern sensibilities talking, but I don't see anything very unique or stylistic about any of it. As both sides are approaching each other, the camera pretty much goes shot reverse shot (with some variation in the exact location) while slightly drawing in...that seems like a pretty obvious choice to me? The wind blowing is like...fine at times, but I honestly hate the choice to use it so heavily during the actual "fight". It completely overshadows the action and is annoying and distracting. Yeah yeah metaphor fine whatever, but it doesn't do anything useful as far as the feeling the scene is trying to create, or should be trying to create imo. At least turn it down a couple decibels. Is a tornado coming through?

But by far the biggest difference imo is the music. I would describe the music in that scene as "workmanlike" at absolute best, and "dated and boring" at worst. "Siri, create a tense mood" circa 1950. Followed by a few seconds of generic old-movie dramatic music that then cuts off for the oh-so-exciting wind noises. Ennio Morricone's score is in a different universe. I heard that %$#% when I was 8 and I'm still whistling it. Absolutely iconic and incredible and elevates the final GBU shootout to a completely different plane imo.

Plus I find the camera decisions to be a lot more interesting in the GBU shootout, but I'm way less literate in film than I am in more writing-centered things.

And also...yes, I will complain about the repetitive structure of Marvel movies tyvm. Is that not allowed?
This reminds of a conversation I had with a teenager a few years back. I was talking about how much I loved Ocarina of Time and the guy looked at me weird and said, "But there a ton of games just like it. It doesn't even have a cool hook."

And I replied, "It didn't need a cool hook. The only reason there are a ton of games like it, is because it came along and refined the hell out of what Nintendo originally tried to do with Super Mario 64."

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago

This reminds of a conversation I had with a teenager a few years back. I was talking about how much I loved Ocarina of Time and the guy looked at me weird and said, "But there a ton of games just like it. It doesn't even have a cool hook."

And I replied, "It didn't need a cool hook. The only reason there are a ton of games like it, is because it came along and refined the hell out of what Nintendo originally tried to do with Super Mario 64."
You and the teenager are both wrong, being the "first" doesn't make a game or movie good, a bad movie is a bad movie, even if it has some unique ideas going for it, on the other hand, there is no game out there quite like ocarina of time.

Old man rant over
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

DirkGently

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago

Yeah but you were presumably alive before OOT so you can appreciate what things were like before and after, plus you have the benefit of nostalgia. Maybe you were alive before 1961, but I definitely wasn't. You can tell me "this movie revolutionized filmmaking" and I'll say "oh, neat"...but that's just an interesting footnote to me. It doesn't really change my experience watching the movie when I've already seen a million other movies that - whether or not they cribbed notes from it - did similar things in a more refined and interesting way.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago

You and the teenager are both wrong, being the "first" doesn't make a game or movie good, a bad movie is a bad movie, even if it has some unique ideas going for it, on the other hand, there is no game out there quite like ocarina of time.

Old man rant over
I was more going for the fact not that it was first (technically Super Mario 64 was first), but that it "perfected" the base elements needed and that to those who played it when it first came out, it was revolutionary while also being good.
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Guardman wrote:
1 year ago

Yeah but you were presumably alive before OOT so you can appreciate what things were like before and after, plus you have the benefit of nostalgia. Maybe you were alive before 1961, but I definitely wasn't. You can tell me "this movie revolutionized filmmaking" and I'll say "oh, neat"...but that's just an interesting footnote to me. It doesn't really change my experience watching the movie when I've already seen a million other movies that - whether or not they cribbed notes from it - did similar things in a more refined and interesting way.
While being alive before it came out helps, it doesn't mean that you can't appreciate something for what it inspired, even if it is a little rough.

DirkGently

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
While being alive before it came out helps, it doesn't mean that you can't appreciate something for what it inspired, even if it is a little rough.
Intellectually? Sure. But if you hand me a burnt rat and say "burnt rat was the origin for all future culinary development," it's still going to taste like burnt rat.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
Intellectually? Sure. But if you hand me a burnt rat and say "burnt rat was the origin for all future culinary development," it's still going to taste like burnt rat.
Kurosawa is a bit more than burnt rat. I love the Dollars trilogy as much as the next guy (probably more tbh), but man, you're missing out if you can't see the genius of how that dude made movies.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Kurosawa is a bit more than burnt rat. I love the Dollars trilogy as much as the next guy (probably more tbh), but man, you're missing out if you can't see the genius of how that dude made movies.
Ok fine I watched the whole thing. The rest of it isn't as bad as the finale but beyond its apparent significance as a cultural artifact I found it mostly very boring. It feels a lot like a stage play with all the inorganic-ness that entails - expository dialogue, convenient timing, overacting, etc. None of the characters are likeable beyond the main character. Sets are nice, best part by far tbh. Costumes are presumably period accurate but a lot of them are kinda comedic by today's standards - why do people hate using sleeves so much? Music is F-tier throughout - it's annoying, overloud, dated, frequently inappropriate, and distracting. I'm not much of an acting critic, but did people really shout that much back then? Gets pretty tedious tbh.

The final fight being so bad is honestly made worse from having seen the rest of the movie. They go to the trouble to set up enemies like "big dude with the hammer" and "offensive stereotype of the mentally disabled" and I can barely tell if they're even participating. The fight has all the excitement of the phrase "and then he killed everybody" written on a piece of paper.

Maybe if I studied film history and had a better grasp of what pre-1961 cinema was like, I'd understand why people think this movie is so genius, but I'm not sure why I'd want to bother. I'm happy to accept that burnt rat was once haute cuisine, and then resume eating waffles because it's 2023 and tastes have evolved.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

What even is it? Whatever it is, it has terrible perspective. Why is it so much bigger than everything else? And the colors are so boring and repetitive. Brown is objectively the worst color and this artist decided to use only that? Embarrassing. F-

On a more serious note, I am genuinely impressed you didn't complain about it being in black and white.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago

What even is it? Whatever it is, it has terrible perspective. Why is it so much bigger than everything else? And the colors are so boring and repetitive. Brown is objectively the worst color and this artist decided to use only that? Embarrassing. F-
Everything you said, but unironically. I'm glad one of our ancestors was able to express themselves through art, I'm glad that they in turn inspired even greater artists, I'd be interested in learning more about this piece from a archaeological standpoint. But it's not great art, it's not even good art, it's a collection of doodles that happen to be really old.

Edit: rereading my post I came off kind of strong not trying to pick a fight or anything, sorry.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Everything you said, but unironically. I'm glad one of our ancestors was able to express themselves through art, I'm glad that they in turn inspired even greater artists, I'd be interested in learning more about this piece from a archaeological standpoint. But it's not great art, it's not even good art, it's a collection of doodles that happen to be really old.
I mean, sure. Obviously, I was being absurd on purpose to point out how inane and, well, verbose Dirk's criticism was, but art is subjective, innit? I happen to feel way, way more emotion when I see those cave paintings than when I see Hermes_'s AI-generated cards, which are, objectively speaking, more complex and interesting to look at. But they don't say anything*. Those cave paintings? Mediocre grafitti? Those weird S things everyone drew in the 90's? They may say only something as basic as "I was here" but at least they say something. This is a topic I would actually love to get to the nitty-gritty on, but...
Edit: rereading my post I came off kind of strong not trying to pick a fight or anything, sorry.
S'all good.

*Yes, this is a double entendre.

DirkGently

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago

On a more serious note, I am genuinely impressed you didn't complain about it being in black and white.
A cave painting can be anthropologically interesting. It might even emotionally move you, to see a glimpse of the unfathomable eons of human existence. But what you probably aren't going to think is "wow, what a compelling narrative. That stick figure character sure is awesome."

I have no issue with people saying a movie is anthropologically interesting or whatever. More educated people say Yojimbo is a seminal movie to modern cinema. Okay, sure. You think it's worthy of study? Okay, sure. But you say "omfg this movie is so awesome and this character is the coolest dude evar"...then it damn well better hold up, because now I'm not grading on a curve anymore. I'm comparing it to, idk...Beast of the Southern Wild or Arrival or Truman Show or Moon or some movie that I actually like. And it's coming up pretty %$#%$#% lacking in that context.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
A cave painting can be anthropologically interesting. It might even emotionally move you, to see a glimpse of the unfathomable eons of human existence. But what you probably aren't going to think is "wow, what a compelling narrative. That stick figure character sure is awesome."

I have no issue with people saying a movie is anthropologically interesting or whatever. More educated people say Yojimbo is a seminal movie to modern cinema. Okay, sure. You think it's worthy of study? Okay, sure. But you say "omfg this movie is so awesome and this character is the coolest dude evar"...then it damn well better hold up, because now I'm not grading on a curve anymore. I'm comparing it to, idk...Beast of the Southern Wild or Arrival or Truman Show or Moon or some movie that I actually like. And it's coming up pretty %$#%$#% lacking in that context.
Can someone help me find the goalposts, please?

"Awesome" is a pretty subjective evaluation so I'm quite excited to see how you objectively grade that opinion. The entire original premise of my bit is that A Fistful of Dollars was an unauthorized remake of Yojimbo. That's it. Yojimbo isn't even close to being the best Kurosawa movie, but given your latest takes, I would be loath to recommend anything. Maybe Ran? If you're going to crib, you can do worse than Billy Shakes. @TheAmericanSpirit: What's your fave? I'm partial to Throne of Blood.

Anyway, a movie can be both historically significant and be a compelling watch. If you can't leave behind your modern and distinctly American tastes behind, well, it's your loss.

Fun fact: The Truman Show was filmed a stone's throw away from my home town.

DirkGently

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Can someone help me find the goalposts, please?

"Awesome" is a pretty subjective evaluation so I'm quite excited to see how you objectively grade that opinion. The entire original premise of my bit is that A Fistful of Dollars was an unauthorized remake of Yojimbo. That's it. Yojimbo isn't even close to being the best Kurosawa movie, but given your latest takes, I would be loath to recommend anything. Maybe Ran? If you're going to crib, you can do worse than Billy Shakes. @TheAmericanSpirit: What's your fave? I'm partial to Throne of Blood.

Anyway, a movie can be both historically significant and be a compelling watch. If you can't leave behind your modern and distinctly American tastes behind, well, it's your loss.

Fun fact: The Truman Show was filmed a stone's throw away from my home town.
Wait, what? I'm not sure how you think I'm moved the goalposts - I think I've been pretty consistent in saying that, while there might be historical reasons that Yojimbo is significant, by today's standards I find it to be a weak movie in a number of aspects, and that I find fangirling about it in 2023 to be incomprehensible from anyone who isn't at least as old as my dad - but then you claim that your original point was something you never said? It's relatively common knowledge that Fistful is an unauthorized remake of Yojimbo - that's just a fact, and I would never have bothered arguing it - but nothing in what you've said even implies that was your point. Saying the main character "wore it better" implies a statement about the quality of that character and/or film, not about one copying the other. If someone said "Dune 1984 wore it better than Dune 2021" would you interpret that as "Dune 2021 is a remake of Dune 1984"? Or would you interpret that as "Dune 1984 > Dune 2021"? (I could have sworn there were better examples of remakes that improved on the original but I can't find them offhand). Keep your own goalposts in check, tyvm.

I haven't rewatched Fistful since I was a kid, so I have no idea if that holds up as well as GBU - it may well not, which would explain why GBU is the one that has stood the test of time in popular culture. I think I've found it on Youtube but it's broken into clips and stapled together. Few Dollars More seems to be fully available like GBU. If anyone is curious. Afaik GBU is not a remake of anything.

Don't even come at me with that "you're too American" crap. I don't even live in America ;) Lily and I are currently watching an Icelandic Netflix show (trapped) and loving it (2/2 on Icelandic Netflix shows - Katla was even better). Other solid Netflix watches recently have been 1899 (%$#% ending though) (German), Alice in Borderland (Japanese), Cunk on Earth (British), Exception (Japan), Glitch (%$#% ending though) (Australian), Squid Game (South Korea), Hellbound (South Korea)...okay at this point it's starting to feel very "I have a black friend" but idk how else to prove that I enjoy plenty of foreign cinema.

I'll happily admit to preferring modern cinema though. Modern things aren't default better, obviously, but it makes sense that, as we learn, we're capable of creating better and better things. Anybody think a 1985 Macintosh "holds up"? Anybody want to travel by horse and buggy? Anyone want to eat burnt rat? If Kurosawa had been born in 1980 and was directing movies now, I'm sure they'd be a hell of a lot more compelling than Yojimbo since they'd be built on a much greater depth of collective experience that didn't exist in 1961. When a movie does hold up as long as, I would argue, GBU, it's a bit of a miracle. Yojimbo has not accomplished that miracle imo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Modern things aren't default better, obviously, but it makes sense that, as we learn, we're capable of creating better and better things.
Alas, we are also capable of making worse and worse things.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

I think I'd be fairly interested in seeing a modern film like Yojimbo, made from a deliberately less-professional, more-idiosyncratic base, cos the tone of sedate old movies where the scenes take longer and the actors hold expressions for longer really suits me. that's all preference though, just wanna say that expertise in making something doesn't have to mean honing it to a blockbuster standard, just like perfectly recorded and sung pop music doesn't necessarily overrule punk, new M:TG illustration with higher fidelity, craftsmanship and tools doesn't stop many people preferring Anson Maddocks etc. approaches to making films aren't necessarily better or worse and naive art can be compelling

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”