Hide
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I'll take 2 cups of coffee and the Kavkaski Shasslik on Flaming Sword, with the Beverly Hills cheesecake for dessert. Love food that's served on a flaming sword, who doesn't?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

nationfirst wrote:
1 year ago
We believe in making it easy for anyone to buy whatever vehicle they want. You can apply for an auto loaan for any vehicle such as an RV, boat, Jet Ski, or even a golf cart. With First Nations Auto financing you can finance your vehicle hassle-free from the comfort of your home. We believe in helping people fulfill their dreams no matter where they're from or what their credit conditions are.
powersportspowersports financing
how about a tank?
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Looks like the mods got their work cut out for them
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

I'm just amazed scammers are able to/willing to infiltrate a MTG forum. It feels like a guy printing out a giant poster advertising RAID SHADOW LEGENDS and trying to sneak in and set up shop in a community library where everyone will ignore them until eventually a librarian wanders over and tells them to get lost. Like, was it was worth the effort lol?
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
I'm just amazed scammers are able to/willing to infiltrate a MTG forum. It feels like a guy printing out a giant poster advertising RAID SHADOW LEGENDS and trying to sneak in and set up shop in a community library where everyone will ignore them until eventually a librarian wanders over and tells them to get lost. Like, was it was worth the effort lol?
I don't think they are actually investing much time into this. I am sure they have programs they run and probably spam thousands of forums every day.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
I don't think they are actually investing much time into this. I am sure they have programs they run and probably spam thousands of forums every day.
I guess lol.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Beverly Hills Hotel, 1955
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Martini, FLAMING SWORD, and apple flambe please and thanks.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Looks like the mods got their work cut out for them
Yea gotta love spam bots
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
nationfirst wrote:
1 year ago
We believe in making it easy for anyone to buy whatever vehicle they want. You can apply for an auto loaan for any vehicle such as an RV, boat, Jet Ski, or even a golf cart. With First Nations Auto financing you can finance your vehicle hassle-free from the comfort of your home. We believe in helping people fulfill their dreams no matter where they're from or what their credit conditions are.
powersportspowersports financing
how about a tank?

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Now that the whole set is spoiled, I can propose my idea for this season: instead of a set-commander deck, I'll let my playgroup vote on the commander they want me to build. It has to be a core part of my strategy, and it can't just be voltron (unless that's basically the only thing it can do).

So who do you all think is the worst commander from this set?

Graaz, Unstoppable Juggernaut is colorless, which makes things hard. And there's not a TON of great ways to generate lots of tokens in mono-brown. But on the plus side, 5/3 ornithopters.

Karumonix, the Rat King isn't THAT bad, but he's the one I'd be most unhappy with my group picking lol.

Melira, the Living Cure is basically just Saffi Eriksdotter with the combos removed. Not awful but not exactly exciting considering it'd be very hard to use her ability more than once per commander tax. At least I'd have two colors.

Rhuk, Hexgold Nabber is awful, but he's voltron, so I'm sure I'd be able to get a bunch of swords onto him and kill people reasonably enough, though red limits the interactivity a bit. I can't think of hardly any way to abuse his ability, though. I feel like he's missing some text that says "when rhuk attacks or dies, you can move his equipment onto another target creature". That way he passes it back and forth when your stuff dies, instead of being some weird way to pregame your equip costs for a 3-drop.

Skrelv, Defector Mite - Jon placed a vote for this one already, and I'm happy with that. Basically a mother of runes with some poison synergy. Chuck in some proliferate, control, and cheap value creatures and you've got yourself a stew going.

Venser, Corpse Puppet - Proliferate obviously lends itself to superfriends, but if we're trying to focus really hard on him...well, he provides a poison source, so you could proliferate that. The triggered ability is really mediocre in commander, especially the second part, but I guess making recurring speed bumps while poisoning people is decent. Wish he could at least give himself flying to get that poison counter going or something. As-is, I'd probably want some evasion, and of course lots of proliferate and control spells.

Which of those would you vote for? Or would you vote for something else?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

From your list, obviously Graaz, Unstoppable Juggernaut. How can you not want to turn your entire board into Juggernauts?

Of all the legends in the set I'd vote Chiss-Goria, Forge Tyrant and no easy mode pile of treasures build. An artifact heavy mono-R, Mirror of Fate / Goblin Welder pile.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

post on the wrong topic opsie

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago

Rhuk, Hexgold Nabber is awful, but he's voltron, so I'm sure I'd be able to get a bunch of swords onto him and kill people reasonably enough, though red limits the interactivity a bit. I can't think of hardly any way to abuse his ability, though. I feel like he's missing some text that says "when rhuk attacks or dies, you can move his equipment onto another target creature". That way he passes it back and forth when your stuff dies, instead of being some weird way to pregame your equip costs for a 3-drop.
Non-voltron/non-abusive usage just to see how good you really are at deck building :evil:

DirkGently

@materpillar you did notice that the prompt was to determine the WORST legend in the set?

@Hermes_ Maybe someone with a bigger brain can figure something out, but from where I'm sitting the only thing rhuk can do that actually uses his abilities is voltron. I can't even think of a single card that uses his re-equip ability that isn't in the service of voltron.

The other commanders I'd consider voltron-only:

Jor Kadeen, First Goldwarden
Migloz, Maze Crusher (though maybe more of a proliferate voltron than equipment)
Thrun, Breaker of Silence
Glissa Sunslayer
Kemba, Kha Enduring could be attempted, but I suspect once you have a bunch of equipment plus a cheap commander, going for lethal commander damage will become the correct strategy pretty often.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
@materpillar you did notice that the prompt was to determine the WORST legend in the set?

@Hermes_ Maybe someone with a bigger brain can figure something out, but from where I'm sitting the only thing rhuk can do that actually uses his abilities is voltron. I can't even think of a single card that uses his re-equip ability that isn't in the service of voltron.

The other commanders I'd consider voltron-only:

Jor Kadeen, First Goldwarden
Migloz, Maze Crusher (though maybe more of a proliferate voltron than equipment)
Thrun, Breaker of Silence
Glissa Sunslayer
Kemba, Kha Enduring could be attempted, but I suspect once you have a bunch of equipment plus a cheap commander, going for lethal commander damage will become the correct strategy pretty often.
Unrelated but given this post was from a half hour ago I assume you didn't get swept away in the deluge. Hope you stay safe and dry dude.

I'd go Melira.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Rhuk, Hexgold Nabber isn't any good as a commander, but might be ok in the 99. it can probably get some sneaky kills with sacrificing something after blocks are declared and Rhuk can hit for a bunch or something

Hermes_

for those of you who know this phrase: Slapeprs only, no oddjob complex.

Goldeneye 007 is now on gamepass the only thing updated is the controls everything else is unchanged.
The name's Block. James Block

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

The greatest game of my teens that didn't involve Tony Hawk.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

My friends and I played Goldeneye so much. We always had License to Kill enabled too. Man that was fun.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

materpillar
the caterpillar

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Now that the whole set is spoiled, I can propose my idea for this season: instead of a set-commander deck, I'll let my playgroup vote on the commander they want me to build.
I was responding to this section of your comment as to which legend I would vote for you to play by my metric of fun not by which one is the most unplayable because you've found minimal use for my bad deck building opinions in the past. You don't actually want the worst legend in the set you want the worst legend that still clears some skill expression floor that I don't know you well enough to be able to explain in depth. Watch, I'll try a bad idea for you and you won't like it.

For Rhuk, Hexgold Nabber play a basically artifact free Bludgeon Brawl. Use an aristocrat sub theme and Act of Treason into sac outlets to borrow equipment. Allows you to slot in the equip every permanent combo of Bludgeon Brawl + Mycosynth Lattice + Vulshok Battlemaster. It's voltron but way stupider, funnier and harder. The more players that die the harder it will be to kill players, really flex those political skills you're so fond of in a shell that's incredibly hard to card advantage with.

DirkGently

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
I was responding to this section of your comment as to which legend I would vote for you to play by my metric of fun not by which one is the most unplayable because you've found minimal use for my bad deck building opinions in the past. You don't actually want the worst legend in the set you want the worst legend that still clears some skill expression floor that I don't know you well enough to be able to explain in depth. Watch, I'll try a bad idea for you and you won't like it.

For Rhuk, Hexgold Nabber play a basically artifact free Bludgeon Brawl. Use an aristocrat sub theme and Act of Treason into sac outlets to borrow equipment. Allows you to slot in the equip every permanent combo of Bludgeon Brawl + Mycosynth Lattice + Vulshok Battlemaster. It's voltron but way stupider, funnier and harder. The more players that die the harder it will be to kill players, really flex those political skills you're so fond of in a shell that's incredibly hard to card advantage with.
The prompt wasn't for bad deck ideas, but rather which commander you think my playgroup ought to vote for to maximally restrict my ability to build a strong deck - i.e. which commander is the weakest. Once they've picked the commander, I can build whatever I want, so long as its plan is focused around the commander's abilities, and it's not voltron unless voltron is the only plausible option.

Rhuk is definitely the worst commander out of the bunch, but because there's nothing else to plausibly do with him except voltron, it means I'm allowed to do voltron, which will probably be at least decent even with a glorified Goblin Hero as a commander. The bludgeon brawl combo stuff is hilarious, but if they pick ruhk I'm just putting in all my swords of X and Y like any other voltron.

The perfect commander to choose would probably be something like Parnesse, the Subtle Brush. I have no idea how to build a good deck that uses that ability effectively. Luckily for me, she's not in ONE.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

@DirkGently. Seems weird that you're letting the group with noticeably poor card evaluation skills pick out what is the weakest. Seems you would be better equipped to make that designation yourself. Whatever it's your playgroup.

Another idea would be making a Magmatic Sprinter rule zero'd to be your commander deck. You said that card is weak but interesting. Could probably do something vaguely interesting there.

DirkGently

@materpillar If I pick the commander myself, Jon will just say "your commander is overpowered" (he talks about Kagemaro, First to Suffer like he's Golos, Tireless Pilgrim after playing against my Kagemaro deck). Part of my goal here is to show that nearly any commander and strategy can be built effectively.

It's also more fun to make this exercise sort of a context imo - their ability to analyze the cards versus my ability to build a good deck. If I succeed in building an effective deck, I've managed to overcome the challenge they presented.

That said, I'm also curious what more experienced players think is the worst option, hence why I asked. Personally I think there's a good chance it's Karumonix, the Rat King - he really provides nothing good for rats, in fact he actively invalidates other tribal power buffs and the Relentless Rats strategies that typically define the archetype. And he requires a high density of rats in the deck in order to maximize his etb effect. But I really hope they don't pick that one because it looks incredibly boring to build and play.

Skrelv, Defector Mite, on the other hand, seems like a fun challenge, so I'm hoping they'll go with that.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

@DirkGently Ah makes sense. I think in terms of direct power level I'd say that Graaz, Unstoppable Juggernaut is by far the worst of the generals you listed. In practice, it's just Overrun on an artifact creature. Against competent players they'll just slow roll an answer and blow you out mid combat. It's highly telegraphed and easily answered. It's also 8cmc so you can basically only cast in once in a game realistically except in the slowest of battlecruiser settings.

So you play it. Every creature you have has to attack. Then you get blown out and have no blockers and get murdered.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”