[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Dominaria limited is super fun, there is a bunch of complaining to be made all arround most of the time but holy hell the design team has been creating super fun limited enviroments.

The folks I play with have been brewing "Battlecruiser" decks lately. It is fun I guess but I don't have a deck to play with them properly. My "midrange" deck is high on taxes and my "control" deck runs like 10+ wipes. So I decided I would brew one of the new DMU legends as a commander, and was thinking about Shanna, Purifying Blade So, Ive been toying with the idea of building her with cards I own and all that, so I went the lifegain route. But heres the thing, I don't think Shanna is a life gain deck, it's more of a card advantage engine on the CZ and lifegain (on your turn) is just a condition

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

so, last night i finally got to cast Enduring Ideal with Hive Mind on the field, however an Aven Mindcensor was also out, but I died the turn after anyway so it only bugged one of my opponents and the other, the one who played the mindcensor won the game via Revel in Riches.

Now that I've done that, I plan to run the deck as it should pillow fort/token generation.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
so, last night i finally got to cast Enduring Ideal with Hive Mind on the field . . .
Nice. I've often drafted suboptimal cards / strategies just for the experience of playing them (and occasionally because I had no choice 🙃). It was always so satisfying to win a game with a card that was rejected by the table. In fact, funny thing is, I would usually still do well and even get 1st-2nd sometimes. I guess I owe a special thanks to the late, great "Shaky" Pat for showing me unconventional Magic can be fun and effective.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I wish this Magic Summit thing wasn't in freaking Utah. I'd go so hard.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Legend
Aethernaut

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
so, last night i finally got to cast Enduring Ideal with Hive Mind on the field . . .
Nice. I've often drafted suboptimal cards / strategies just for the experience of playing them (and occasionally because I had no choice 🙃). It was always so satisfying to win a game with a card that was rejected by the table. In fact, funny thing is, I would usually still do well and even get 1st-2nd sometimes. I guess I owe a special thanks to the late, great "Shaky" Pat for showing me unconventional Magic can be fun and effective.
Not to say that your cards or strategy is suboptimal. 😅
Last edited by Legend 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
I wish this Magic Summit thing wasn't in freaking Utah. I'd go so hard.
Least favorite state in the union, hands down. Might as well be on another planet.

Nevada, now that's a state!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hermes_

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Not to say that your cards or strategy is suboptimal. 😅
no, the move itself was honestly suboptimal, but I couldn't resist the move.

lacramioara

Post by lacramioara » 1 year ago

I love the Diablo series of games. But you'd have to be a complete fool not to realize that this once legendary game series has become a money-grubbing machine thanks to a publisher. Still, I continue to play games in the series because they allow me to immerse myself in the very world of Diablo. Recently I decided to give the relatively fresh Diablo II: Resurrected a chance. And I was surprised. The glitches everyone was talking about, I rarely encountered. I even enjoyed the game. I was delighted to find the Staff of the Tomb of d2r, one of the rarest items in the game. And, of course, when I reached the final credits after many attempts and deaths, I was glad too.
Last edited by lacramioara 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Hermes_

Not the grand prize but still first place!

Hermes_

I got the gloves done for my cosplay

Legend
Aethernaut

lacramioara wrote:
1 year ago
I love the Diablo series of games. But you'd have to be a complete fool not to realize that this once legendary game series has become a money-grubbing machine thanks to a publisher.
Diablo Immortal is $540,000.00 to max out.

Hermes_

i'm laughing my head off at the reaction that MTG finance is having.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

I was today years old when I learned that Tayam, Luminous Enigma can return a permanent, not just a creature. I always got so bored reading the card that I just glazed over by the time I got to that part of the text box. This... changes things, It's just a shame about the name, And the art.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
i'm laughing my head off at the reaction that MTG finance is having.
Since they're an abomination that shouldn't exist I'm having a hard time feeling sympathetic.

Hermes_

I'm pulling together a new deck list for Marrow-Gnawer Relentless Rats and there are so many new cards since I last put it together (5 ore more years ago)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

I drafted unfinity tonight.

...I have some thoughts.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Wow that was the worst draft format I've ever played by an enormous margin.

Biggest thing first. The set is outrageously too complicated. People complain about modern sets being overly complex, and they are, but they are not even in the same realm of existence as unfinity. For one thing, nearly every card is a wall of text. And very little of that text overlaps. Once you understand what connive is, you understand a lot of cards, for example. And while that's true for "open an attraction", the other mechanics have very little functional overlap. Hat-matters, every hat-matters card does some different thing. stickers, different sticker cards can put different types of stickers, or care about different types of stickers. But the complexity really skyrockets when you have so many non-normal-magic-effects that really require you to read carefully. Most complex normal cards, you get the idea pretty easily from skimming the text, but try grokking Trivia Contest without reading it five or six times.

Besides just being mechanically difficult to understand, it's also a huge mess to actually play. There are a million %$#%$#% triggers to keep track of. And a lot of the triggers take a horrific amount of time to resolve. Dart Throw, in a single game, wasted 5 minutes of my life that I'm never getting back, and I was going as quickly as I reasonably could. (Also it's borderline %$#% impossible, I don't know what sadist designed that card but it ought to win you the whole game if you pull that %$#% off, I didn't even get close)

There's also tons of dice and counters and stickers and whatever else, and it frequently turned the board state into a huge %$#% to keep track of.

All of this would be bad enough in a normal set, but the whole supposed idea of an unset is to be a silly casual fun time. Guess what's not silly, casual, or fun? Rereading cards over and over, struggling to keep track of triggers, getting frustrated at how long every turn is taking. I've joked that in order to enjoy unfinity, I'd need to get wasted beforehand, but having played it I think it'd be practically impossible for anyone to play without being on Adderall, let alone drunk. The set on paper says "look how fun and silly it's going to be to put art stickers on your cards! Try putting them in funny places!" but the reality is that you're fumbling to shove any stupid sticker onto your card because you've got 5 minutes left in the round and you just started game 2.

Here's a few especially egregious cards that I played with or against:
Gallery of Legends - never going to resolve without a scryfall search and looking through the results. Sure, you could do it without scryfall, but going from memory is going to take even longer.
Memory Test - irritating waste of time, not to mention pretty OP in limited if they're good at it.
Trivia Contest - just trying to explain how this works wasted an incredible amount of time.
Guess Your Fate - I had a Haberthrasher on the bottom in the second game this came up, and jesus christ that was stupid. Unless someone has an intimate knowledge of all the cards in the set, they're not remembering that name, and it's the only name they can say to win. Another game I had an island on bottom and couldn't give less of a %$#% if someone's guessed it. The fact that, barring a shuffle effect, you're always on the same card is kinda infuriating because if it's either a useless land or something difficult to guess, you're going to keep getting the trigger and keep wasting time. Why isn't it the top card?
Dart Throw - seriously %$#% this card to the deepest bowels of hell.

y'know what, those are just the attractions, and I'm already tired. We haven't even gotten to real cards. I don't think I have enough remaining lifespan to list out all the individual cards I hate. I hate all of them. Let's leave it at that.

Here's another asinine thing - apparently shocklands fit into the basic slot. Which means to keep the number of cards consistent you have to draft the basics. Y'know, the typically-most-valuable-card-in-the-pack basic. Which either means you waste a pick on a card that does nothing, or you piss away value by not taking it. And ofc there'll be one guy who's happy to draft nothing but basics and throw the draft to scoop up card value. At my draft we agreed to just take out the basics, and if someone gets a shockland instead then they couldn't play it, which worked fine. But the fact that they built the packs like that is just stupid and seems like they didn't test it at all, or they're wildly out of touch with how people draft at FNM-level.

Speaking of stupid pack design, you only have 13 non basic/shockland cards in the pack, and then it seems like 2-3 of them are attractions. So you end up with barely enough cards to build a limited deck from. I ended up with 25 on-color cards, and I was in 3 colors, and committed pretty quickly too.

Another gripe - cards that let players outside the game make decisions absolutely turn my blood to magma. Destroy target creature? Sure. Destroy a creature at random? Slightly more annoying but fine. Destroy a creature chosen by someone outside the game? Go straight to hell. There is no way for that to resolve that isn't infuriating for someone, because the person choosing has no motivation whatsoever except unbridled caprice. If they choose the best target, the person targeted feels like they got %$#% over by caprice. If they choose a bad target, the caster feels like they got %$#% over by caprice. It's also just an irritating waste of time since the other person is probably trying to also play a game.

Oh, and those stickers? Yeah, they're dogshit. After using them once, they already refused to stick to my sheet again. The fact that they persist in graveyards makes it super easy to forget and shuffle them in, which will likely result in them getting creased after they get scraped from card to card. The ability stickers are interesting enough that I was kinda tentatively interested in trying a sticker commander, but there's no way in hell I'm going to try to deal with those horrible fiddly little things.

Lest anyone think I was the buzzkill at the event, every other player voiced a deep hatred for the format by the end of the night. There were tons of tied games and tied matches because of the inordinate amount of time it took to play, AND the event went an hour past the usual time. Casual players were pissed about how complex it was, while competitive players thought it was a stupid mess. Not a single person wanted unfinity for their prize packs, and there was unanimous agreement that next week should go back to dominaria.

It boggles my mind that they made a format so unapologetically terrible. Like, one playtest with casual players - the people who this is supposedly aimed at - would have revealed that the complexity was completely unreasonable, especially for a supposedly casual experience. Was it Maro being let too far off the leash? Was it a desire to make chase commander cards? Was it a lack of time towards playtesting? I have to wonder.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I'm going to go out in a limb and say whatever they were aiming for with this set design "I hated every minute of it" wasn't one of their desired reactions. If I wasn't convinced before that this set was a deliberate attempt to sabotage Un so they can stop making these products I certainly am now.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I sort of deliberately haven't looked at what cards are in the un set because F wizards I don't want any part of it.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Dirk Gently: he played Unfinity so we didn't have to. Thank you for your Sacrifice.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Dirk really did use a Martyrdom here.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

DirkGently

God help me, I bought all the commander playables from unf. At least now I can never draft that set again.

In a way it's nice that the stickers are garbage, now I'll be happier proxying them knowing that the real thing would have been so much worse. I just got a new printer too.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
God help me, I bought all the commander playables from unf. At least now I can never draft that set again.

In a way it's nice that the stickers are garbage, now I'll be happier proxying them knowing that the real thing would have been so much worse. I just got a new printer too.
Dude, how do you plan to proxy the stickers? Ziploc bags and paper slips&clips? Good god, I know optimization in your DNA but just let the marginal value go, Dirk! How many unwieldy outside-the-game inside-the-game token effects does it take to break a man's spirit?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently

@TheAmericanSpirit I'd only do stickers as a one-off for Ambassador Blorpityblorpbloop. I don't plan on having them available for other decks since I don't think any of the sticker placement cards are that great and it is a pain in the ass.

But yeah I guess ziplocks and slips, unless someone has a better idea.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago

Not doing it? :P

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
@TheAmericanSpirit I'd only do stickers as a one-off for Ambassador Blorpityblorpbloop. I don't plan on having them available for other decks since I don't think any of the sticker placement cards are that great and it is a pain in the ass.

Make your own stickers.

Cromulent Balls of Fire?
Cocaine-o-saurus?
Suspiciously Phallic Rocketship?
Promiscuous Goblin?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”