Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
okay because i'm dumb can someone explain the following terms:

Fast lands
Slow lands
Tangos
Triomes
and any other references along those lines.
Fast lands - Blackcleave Cliffs et al
Triomes - Ketria Triome et al/Spara's Headquarters et al
Shocklands - Blood Crypt et al
Checklands - Rootbound Crag et al
Painlands - Adarkar Wastes et al
Tangos - Deathcap Glade et al (because it takes 2 to tango)
Slow lands... no idea on those.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

Dragonlover wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
okay because i'm dumb can someone explain the following terms:

Fast lands
Slow lands
Tangos
Triomes
and any other references along those lines.
Fast lands - Blackcleave Cliffs et al
Triomes - Ketria Triome et al/Spara's Headquarters et al
Shocklands - Blood Crypt et al
Checklands - Rootbound Crag et al
Painlands - Adarkar Wastes et al
Tangos - Deathcap Glade et al (because it takes 2 to tango)
Slow lands... no idea on those.

Dragonlover
I always used tango lands to refer to the BFZ half-cycle -- e.g. Canopy Vista. Because, as said, it takes two to tango. Also they had first claim on the name. Deathcap Glade et. al. are slow lands, because they are the precise inverse of the fast lands. Also, bicycle lands = Scattered Groves et. al., because 2-color cycling lands that cycle for 2.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Dragonlover

The only difference between the enter the battlefield wording on Deathcap Glade and Canopy Vista is that one of them requires you to have basics. They are not inverses of each other.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Dragonlover wrote:
1 year ago
The only difference between the enter the battlefield wording on Deathcap Glade and Canopy Vista is that one of them requires you to have basics. They are not inverses of each other.

Dragonlover
No no no, you misunderstand -- Haunted Ridge is a precise inverse of Blackcleave Cliffs, so since Blackcleave Cliffs' cycle is nicknamed fastlands, Haunted Ridge's cycle got the nickname slowlands. Canopy Vista's half-cycle is the one I hear referred to as tango lands, because they require two of something and claimed the name first (as well as not having a more obvious alternate nickname), meaning that Haunted Ridge et. al. cannot have the nickname of tango lands because it's already taken -- an extra reason why the latter are instead called slowlands.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Dragonlover

Yeah no I get you now, it was the lack of example of the fast lands in that first post that caused me to have a full on reading comprehension fail.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Wong was my first Pool 3 card. I love him too. What flavor of Wong. I hit infinite with just White Tiger / Odin my second season. Black Panther + Zola? Gambit murder? Surfer 3s? I think Wong is pretty fair compared to a lot of stuff in this game but I run Cosmo in literally every deck party because of him, so maybe he isn't. Dunno he's fun for sure.
My Wong list is pretty standard - running some disruption like Storm and top end of Doom, Odin, Tiger, Panther, and Zola. It's an absolute cube printer. IMO it's the best "fair" deck in the game.

I also have most of Lockjaw Discard rolling, just missing Colleen Wing. It's fun but has kind of a lower ceiling than the other decks I usually play. Beyond that I run a Destroyer list, some Jubilee big guy lists, and DeathWave.

Sera was actually my first pool 3 card and I road her into the ground over the course of a couple weeks. So I don't play her much anymore.

I recently pulled Luke Cage, Absorbing Man, and then Knull. I guess I'm high rolling but I would much rather make more pool 3 progress.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Kinda want to see a movie with Lily today, and Avatar is I guess an event movie to see at least. I read the first line of the blurb, though...

"Jake Sully and Ney'tiri have formed a family..."

Are you serious right now? That sounds so awful lol. Do any living humans care about these characters and their relationship?

Am I overreacting? Is it better than it sounds?

In other news, I beat my reddit upvote high score just by saying the first thing all of us think when we see this sign:

Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
In other news, I beat my reddit upvote high score just by saying the first thing all of us think when we see this sign:
What's that? That what you say is even more your responsibility? That trauma triggers cannot, in fact, be their owner's responsibility because they're embedded in the subconscious and cannot be made to go away? That someplace that would have that sign sounds like a haven for unrepentant jerks who will never, ever apologize? Or is this the other side, the "why does this even need to be said?" sort of response? I genuinely don't know, because I have seen both reactions, both from people who imagine themselves to be helping people who have various struggles. My initial reaction was the first listed, but I've learned not to ascribe my reasoning or thoughts to anyone else. What is it that "all of us" think, in your estimation?

DirkGently

Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
What's that? That what you say is even more your responsibility? That trauma triggers cannot, in fact, be their owner's responsibility because they're embedded in the subconscious and cannot be made to go away? That someplace that would have that sign sounds like a haven for unrepentant jerks who will never, ever apologize? Or is this the other side, the "why does this even need to be said?" sort of response? I genuinely don't know, because I have seen both reactions, both from people who imagine themselves to be helping people who have various struggles. My initial reaction was the first listed, but I've learned not to ascribe my reasoning or thoughts to anyone else. What is it that "all of us" think, in your estimation?
Lol, no, that when you're playing magic you're responsible for keeping track of your own triggered abilities...

Sounds like somebody's never played at comp REL :P
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

As the guy who always has to police the majority of triggers at our table this cuts pretty deep.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Kinda want to see a movie with Lily today, and Avatar is I guess an event movie to see at least. I read the first line of the blurb, though...

Are you serious right now? That sounds so awful lol. Do any living humans care about these characters and their relationship?

I took my dad to see it opening night 3D in the biggest theater available for his birthday. The main question is "Did you enjoy the original?". Avatar 2 is Avatar 1 but MORE. That goes for both the strengths and the weaknesses of the movie. Did you find the original to be over the top gorgeous? Avatar 2 is MORE gorgeous. Did you find Avatar 1's plot and characters to be hilariously streamlined and one dimensional? Avatar 2 is even MORE hilariously streamlined and even MORE stupid and one dimensional. Did you enjoy sitting through 2hr 45 minutes of Avatar 1? You'll enjoy sitting through (MORE) 3hr and 15 minutes of Avatar 2.

I personally really enjoyed Avatar 1 quite a bit (more than the average internet commenter at least). I found the simplistic characters and plot were exactly what the movie needed. It was about visual spectacle and not a challenging, emotional narrative. The same is roughly true about Avatar 2. A lot of it is really stupid, like laughable stupid. The villains are portrayed as so 1-note evil and dehumanized that I started feeling really bad for the nameless goons that are brutally slaughtered. Those poor guys were just trying to clock in to their 9-5 job. Poor sods. The movie would have been excellent at 2 hours long. It really really started to drag by the end of the 3rd act for me. There's 4 kids and the movie constantly needs to check in on them during actions scenes and stuff. Just axe 2 of them from the movie, nothing changes and you save 30+ minutes of run time. Movie dramatically improves.

Overall, worth a watch in my opinion. Just set your expectations at "delicious eye candy" with forgettable characters/plot and you shouldn't be too disappointed. There were 2 scenes in particular that will stick with me.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

I work at a movie theatre as a bartender and manager and I'm not looking forward to closing for avatar lol.

I think there are certain words /terms/phrases people should be banned from using until they actually know what they are, trigger(s) are part of that along with Mary Sue and Deus Ex Machina.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Damn, the far right attempted a coup in my city and it screwed up a big trade I had lined up because they ruined the store of one of the parts, and now he needs cash. They manage to ruin even the most trivial things 😒

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Lol, no, that when you're playing magic you're responsible for keeping track of your own triggered abilities...

Sounds like somebody's never played at comp REL :P
Oh. Pfft. :grin: Wasn't expecting a joke. I get sucked into super serious mode too easily, apparently. That, and also tone doesn't translate super well over text.

DirkGently

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
Damn, the far right attempted a coup in my city
Wait, do you live in Brazil? Or is there another far right coup going on?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

@DirkGently I live in Brasilia, Brazil ground 0 of yesterday %$#%

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
I use my phone for playing a bunch of Marvel Snap. I'm also extremely directionally challenged so GPS is a lifesaver.

@Dunadain @ISBPathfinder
You guys still playing Marvel Snap? I got into it three months ago and have been having a blast. I've been smashing people with Sandman + Dr. Doom this past week. It was most enjoyable.
Off and on, I feel the predatory business model a lot more now that I'm in pool 3, and that's killed some of the enjoyment, but I've still had a lot of fun.

Death + Wave is probably my favorite deck, but I got infinity the last two seasons with Mr. Negative.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago

Not answering your question but it's an excuse to rant.

The origfinal Avatar movie is my least favorite movie of all time. It'sd not the worste movie ever, and not by a long shot. It's a pretty mediocre film maybe… 6/10?

The reason I hate it is that it's the perfect example of how in the movie industry, the success of a movie isn't determined by its artistic merit, but smart marketing/whatever competition the movie has on release/public hype. It's the highest grossing movie of all time and it's… OK?

Therefore, I'm really hoping this sequel crashes and burns. I suppose thats rather petty, and if someone wants to try to convince me that the sequel has more merit than the original, than I suppose I could be convinced to at least give the movie a chance.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago

Not answering your question but it's an excuse to rant.

The origfinal Avatar movie is my least favorite movie of all time. It'sd not the worste movie ever, and not by a long shot. It's a pretty mediocre film maybe… 6/10?

The reason I hate it is that it's the perfect example of how in the movie industry, the success of a movie isn't determined by its artistic merit, but smart marketing/whatever competition the movie has on release/public hype. It's the highest grossing movie of all time and it's… OK?

Therefore, I'm really hoping this sequel crashes and burns. I suppose thats rather petty, and if someone wants to try to convince me that the sequel has more merit than the original, than I suppose I could be convinced to at least give the movie a chance.
My least favorite movie is probably Pootie Tang. The problem with it is that it has one pretty good joke (the fact that Pootie Tang's new hit song is literally silence and just watching the people Emperor's New Clothes over it) and then nothing but bad jokes, offensive jokes, and cringe jokes. Not even funny cringe or offensive. And its too boring and confusing for it to be so bad its good. I was really excited for it to as it has a good cast (Chris Rock in his 90's early 00's prime, Wanda Sykes, JB Smoove, Jennifer Coolidge, Robert Vaughn - I mean I did a quick search for it on Wikipedia just to refresh myself and I was shocked at how stacked the cast was) and was supposed to be a love letter to Blaxploitation films, when in reality it was more like a boring disappointment to it that failed to capture what makes it so much fun to watch in the first place.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
Pootie Tang.
Not to mention it was written and directed by Louis C.K. (bad person I know). He was muscled out during the editing process and then distanced himself from the movie so who knows if what he was trying to do was actually funny or not.

Black Dynamite is everything this wanted to be and more.

As for Avatar I can't help but feel like it's an experiment to see how generic you can make a movie so that it will be accessible to every audience in the world without subtitles or translation. It's less of a movie and more of a template for a movie.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
I suppose thats rather petty, and if someone wants to try to convince me that the sequel has more merit than the original, than I suppose I could be convinced to at least give the movie a chance.
I'd argue that the original has a lot of artistic merit. It knew what it aimed to be and hit that mark with extreme excellence. It was pure visual spectacle and escapism. It massively excelled at those two tasks. Not all art has to have significant philosophical depth, some can just be entertaining. I don't know of anyone that didn't find Avatar 1 to be at least moderately entertaining.

Bruno is my least favorite movie by miles. Look a %$#%$#! That's funny because it's a %$#%$#!

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

I forgot it was a Louis C.K. film. Then again I have never been overly impressed by his stuff to begin with, but that is neither here nor there.

I will say the one good thing about Pootie Tang is that it made the video tape joke a whole lot funnier in Scary Movie 3.

As for Avatar, calling it a template of a movie is a perfect description. It's really a proof of concept with a storyline that is fill in the blanks. I mean, I love paint by numbers stories. I don't require high art. And as an animation buff, I can appreciate the technical achievements and being able to pull off hard shots (I mean, I still gush over this song from Steven Universe for how well it is done (The entire song is a masterclass in animation and scene composition, but for those that don't know, one of the hardest shots you can do with non-CGI animation is a spin around)). Hell, at least a quarter of the books I own would fall under the category of YA Vampire Smut, so high concept storylines are certainly not a requirement for me. But all I ask is put some sort of interesting spin on the characters and story and not default to a cringe-worthy white savior storyline with characters that are about as deep as a kiddy pool.

Also probably doesn't help my main memory of it is being told how good it looks in 3D and then getting nauseous for most of it, which is really weird as I rarely get nauseous or any sort of motion sickness.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Bruno is my least favorite movie by miles. Look a %$#%$#! That's funny because it's a %$#%$#!
Did you think Borat was an anti-semitic film?

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Baron Cohen's movies are peculiar in that the sections that are satire are pretty effective but there are also segments that are playing directly to the audience and seem to have no satirical intention.

materpillar
the caterpillar

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Did you think Borat was an anti-semitic film?
Talking about the running of the Jews scene? I always took that as making fun of anti-semites. I honestly don't remember a whole lot of Borat, so that's very far from a hill I'll die on.

Bruno on the other hand is the closest I've come to walking out of a movie theater. I regret not leaving. I found nothing of value in that movie at all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”