Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
My brother invited me to a Minecraft server w/ his friends a couple days ago and I'm falling in love with the game all over again XD.
I have always kind of wondered what the appeal of Minecraft is. I have seen it played a bunch but it doesn't look that interesting of a game. That said, for whatever reason I love Terraria which could be compared to minecraft. I have a weird thing for 2d side scrollers though. I always felt like Terraria had more emphasis on combat and bosses though where as minecraft feels more like a building sandbox than a video game to me.
Yeah, the fun of Minecraft for me is that it's the game I think most of us dreamed about when we were kids. You can do ANYTHING. I have played and seen a lot of games that make big promises about open worlds, or terrain, or destructible environments, and they all come up short in the end. In Minecraft, if I don't like the hillside I built my farm on, I can level the hillside. Not many other games let you do that, and the ones that do tend to sacrifice something in the gameplay to give you that ability.

What I really love about Minecraft, though, is just playing with friends. Me and my brother would always play on a server with his friends, and had a blast. Another awesome thing is the sheer number of mods the game has. At first I was reluctant to use mods because I had heard about mods like Equivalent Exchange/Dirt-to-Diamonds, which are just really bad and unbalanced, but once I played the GOOD mods, like Thaumcraft, IC2, Buildcraft, BoP and all the rest there was no looking back for me.

With mods you can basically tailor every aspect of the game to fit what you want. (Of course I'm probably talking to people who are well aware of what mods do lol) Whether you like Magical systems, technology, exploration, combat, transportation, world gen, farm animals, you name it, there's a mod that can make it better or generate it.

If I had to do a top ten games of all time, Minecraft would be right up there if not #1.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I don't know what it is but when video games have fishing I tend to fish............. wayyyyyy too much. I literally have no clue why but its one of those things where I am just sitting there and like an hour later I am like...... %$#% I am still here.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

I have finally updated all my decklists with the changes made over the last few months. There's been a couple of big overhauls and I just hadn't had the mental energy to type up like, 30-odd changes across 5 decks.

Should have my Abaddon the Despoiler deck up soon as well, and then that's it. No more decks from me, six is pretty much the sweet spot and they fit nicely in my Superhive so if I want to make more I have to dismantle one and I don't feel like doing that.

I'm waiting for my brain to swing back round to Minecraft, I love the mining side of things and I've not played since they introduced all the cool new underground biomes.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
I don't know what it is but when video games have fishing I tend to fish............. wayyyyyy too much. I literally have no clue why but its one of those things where I am just sitting there and like an hour later I am like...... %$#% I am still here.
Dude, I feel you. When I was a kid, my strategy for beating Pokemon Crystal was to get the old rod and immediately catch 5 magikarp. Then I'd painstakingly grind each and every magikarp up to level 20, turn them all into Gyaradoses and just brute force my way through everything else. Teach a man to fish, and he shall use magikarp in every playthrough henceforth.

As a 28 year old, I now see the error of my ways. 5 Gyarados? Ha! Insane! I now only use 3 Magikarp/Gyarados when I play a Pokemon game.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
My brother invited me to a Minecraft server w/ his friends a couple days ago and I'm falling in love with the game all over again XD.
I have always kind of wondered what the appeal of Minecraft is. I have seen it played a bunch but it doesn't look that interesting of a game. That said, for whatever reason I love Terraria which could be compared to minecraft. I have a weird thing for 2d side scrollers though. I always felt like Terraria had more emphasis on combat and bosses though where as minecraft feels more like a building sandbox than a video game to me.
Yeah, the fun of Minecraft for me is that it's the game I think most of us dreamed about when we were kids. You can do ANYTHING. I have played and seen a lot of games that make big promises about open worlds, or terrain, or destructible environments, and they all come up short in the end. In Minecraft, if I don't like the hillside I built my farm on, I can level the hillside. Not many other games let you do that, and the ones that do tend to sacrifice something in the gameplay to give you that ability.

What I really love about Minecraft, though, is just playing with friends. Me and my brother would always play on a server with his friends, and had a blast. Another awesome thing is the sheer number of mods the game has. At first I was reluctant to use mods because I had heard about mods like Equivalent Exchange/Dirt-to-Diamonds, which are just really bad and unbalanced, but once I played the GOOD mods, like Thaumcraft, IC2, Buildcraft, BoP and all the rest there was no looking back for me.

With mods you can basically tailor every aspect of the game to fit what you want. (Of course I'm probably talking to people who are well aware of what mods do lol) Whether you like Magical systems, technology, exploration, combat, transportation, world gen, farm animals, you name it, there's a mod that can make it better or generate it.

If I had to do a top ten games of all time, Minecraft would be right up there if not #1.
Truthfully I've not used many mods. I have a bunch of optimization mods to make the game run smoother (Lithium, Sodium, Starlight) and then I use Tweakaroo and Litematica to help with building and all of those are client-side mods, so it's basically vanilla minecraft.

It's interesting seeing how everyone saidthey liked something different about the game XD. Personally, I really like the technical side of minecraft, I'm currently building a stacking raid farm on this new server with my brother and my biggest flex is inventing a simpler and faster copper farm (though that was a joint effort with another guy.

I will agree though, if combat is what you are looking for, I'd recommend Terraria. I know some people really enjoy Minecraft pvp, but I've always found Minecraft combat to be too simplistic (which is fine for me, that's not why I play the game).
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I'm not sure if it's related to the over all state of Magic or what but I decided this week to try and sell my MTGO collection. Back in 2019 the quote was really good but I'm very attached to silly things so I didn't sell. Got a quote on Monday and it was about 40% less that the original. To be expected since Arena is a think now, but I didn't pull the trigger quick enough since I got busy and the quote expired. So I get another on Tuesday and it was 25% lower, then the quote today was 10% lower once again.

So anyway I guess I'll just hold on to it and hope for a rebound, lol.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
I'm not sure if it's related to the over all state of Magic or what but I decided this week to try and sell my MTGO collection. Back in 2019 the quote was really good but I'm very attached to silly things so I didn't sell. Got a quote on Monday and it was about 40% less that the original. To be expected since Arena is a think now, but I didn't pull the trigger quick enough since I got busy and the quote expired. So I get another on Tuesday and it was 25% lower, then the quote today was 10% lower once again.

The value has been fluctuating wildly. Wait until there is no set release on the immediate horizon. Values usually rebound in the month or so after a release of a new standard set

I've slowly sold my collection off by selling the most expensive cards periodically and then selling tix. The value of edh stuff is all over the place.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago

The value has been fluctuating wildly. Wait until there is no set release on the immediate horizon. Values usually rebound in the month or so after a release of a new standard set

I've slowly sold my collection off by selling the most expensive cards periodically and then selling tix. The value of edh stuff is all over the place.
Thank you for the insight. I haven't played in close to 10 years so I had no idea what I was looking at, lol. Most of the value of my collection is centralized on about 10 playsets of cards with limited printings online - Wasteland, Chalice of the Void, etc. Would I be better off selling those few cards to an individual or bot and then selling the Tix for cash?

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago

Thank you for the insight. I haven't played in close to 10 years so I had no idea what I was looking at, lol. Most of the value of my collection is centralized on about 10 playsets of cards with limited printings online - Wasteland, Chalice of the Void, etc. Would I be better off selling those few cards to an individual or bot and then selling the Tix for cash?
If you want to maximize returns you'll want to sell the highest priced things to cardhoarder or mtgotrader. The other buyers never seem to compare to them when I've checked.

What I've been doing is periodically checking my collection value in cardhoarder sorted by card price and then checking the prices on those at mtgotraders as well and selling for tix to the best.

Then you wait for tix prices to be high (usually a month after a release or so) and cash out.

If you just wait for a time when tix prices are high and cash out you'll do okay as well if you want to minimize effort.

Personally I'm kinda considering keeping a small collection as a hedge in case they wind up closing down and offering some kind of port to arena. Sometimes companies do weird favorable stuff when shutting a service down.

It's hard to say but they sure aren't doing much with mtgo.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
What I've been doing is periodically checking my collection value in cardhoarder sorted by card price and then checking the prices on those at mtgotraders as well and selling for tix to the best.
Yeah I've been working with these 2 vendors also. I'm not in a hurry for funds so I'll wait it out and see how this goes for a few release cycles. Thanks again.

The last time I regularly played it was mostly Pauper format so it wouldn't hurt me to hold on to those cards for a rainy day. My biggest issue is that after all these years the MTGO client is almost deliberately awful so it's hard to convince myself to play.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Hot Take: Search effects in Commander should get the Rule 10 treatment. I mean, it's remarkable to me how WISHING is considered problematic because of a vague account from 20 years ago, while searching is actively ruining the format. (Yes, that would negate fetches, ramp, and tutors.)
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Hot Take: Search effects in Commander should get the Rule 10 treatment. I mean, it's remarkable to me how WISHING is considered problematic because of a vague account from 20 years ago, while searching is actively ruining the format. (Yes, that would negate fetches, ramp, and tutors.)
I don't think you've thought this through.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

You can't ruin a format when it's already ruined. If someone wants to do degeneracy, taking away tutors isn't going to stop them.

The only place efficient tutors are truly dominating games is cEDH and nobody should care about that.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Legend
Aethernaut

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Legend wrote:
1 year ago
I don't think you've thought this through.
On the contrary, I think that it's the number of search cards that makes the effect ruinous in the first place.
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
You can't ruin a format when it's already ruined.
Then why only a 3 card WISHBOARD? 😛
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
If someone wants to do degeneracy, taking away tutors isn't going to stop them.

The only place efficient tutors are truly dominating games is cEDH and nobody should care about that.
At this point, ramp and fixing are as much of a problem as tutors, if not more of a problem.

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

I just had one of those nights were if I went to Vegas with a $1,000 I would be coming home with a $100,000. So I went to draft tonight for FNM. I was actually debating whether or not to go as it had been a busy week and it was twenty degrees with flurries outside. Anyways, I sit down, open my first pack and it has a Wurmcoil Engine, which is great as I have been needing one for a while. Third pack I open a Mox Amber. My entry fee has been more than paid for now.

I end up with a UR deck splashing white for Loran, Disciple of History and having the following noteworthy cards:
I went 3-0 not dropping a game. My ultimate goal was using Drafna, Founder of Lat-Nam to make a bunch of Wurmcoil Engines, which didn't happen. But a couple of games I did get to use Loran, Disciple of History to recur it, which was usually enough for a concession.

But the bounty continued after I get my 4 prize set packs and my promo pack as I also opened an Urza, Lord Protector (which I traded for a Sakashima of a Thousand Faces), a Rootpath Purifier, and a Ziatora's Proving Ground.

Not bad for $15.00.

Legend
Aethernaut

@Guardman wow dude that is amazing congrats

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

:cry: Image
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently

Here in NZ we just had our prerelease because of some supply chain %$#%$#% or something. Ended with 14 wins and 1 loss across 5 events for the weekend. Seems like a fun format so far.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

The site's twitter is getting spicey

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
The site's twitter is getting spicey

As a person who never got the appeal of twitter, I have to say the fact that the ship is sinking and on fire makes it infinitely more appealing than whatever it was before. But then again, what can I say, I love collapse watching.

In other news, my strange "luck" with BRO draft has continued as I have done five drafts (one at FNM and four on Arena) and I've gone 3-0, 7-2, 7-1, 2-3, and 7-2. And the only decks I felt were worth winning out were the URw deck I mentioned in a previous post and my 7-2 Esper soldier deck, which was just stupid. My RG Lifegain deck went 7-1, but overperformed mostly due to the fact that it punished people that didn't have a good curve, which is pretty much every non-soldier deck right now. Same for my 7-2 UG Battery deck, which I wasn't able to get payoffs for all my ramp outside of a lone Boulderbranch Golem, so functioned solely off of using all my mana to activate some abilities. My only deck that didn't do well was my BR sac deck which I knew was going to struggle solely because I sort of forced it even though by pack two I had an inclination that the cards I needed for the deck just weren't flowing and should've pivoted to a different color.

A lot of this, I believe, is because the format is still early and a lot of players (even at Plat and Diamond) don't know how to draft this format yet. I've even seen a few people say its an aggro format, which I disagree with. It's a tempo format, with a slight Prince leaning due to the schematic cards, but held back from being full prince due to the quality of answers. I expect this to change once players get more experience with the format. But I plan on abusing the **** out of this for as long as I can (maybe even put in some extra time since I am off this week and try to get back to Mythic).

Also how weird is it that a blue deck is the best aggro deck?

Anyways to stay on-off topic, I just started Elden Ring (Hero). Does anyone have any good tips?
Last edited by Guardman 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

DirkGently

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
Anyways to stay on-off topic, I just started Elden Ring (Hero). Does anyone have any good tips?
By far the biggest tip I can give is to not look up anything online. Seriously. If you know the critical path of bosses and where the good items and XP farms are, you can blitz through the game ignoring the vast majority of the content and have a pretty boring time. My first playthrough was %$#%$#% magic because I was just aimlessly running around, wandering into every dungeon I could find, hoping for sweet loot, never sure if every corner would be a dead end or the whole rest of the game. Compared to other fromsoft games it loses a lot in replay value, so make the first run count!

As far as non-spoilery tips, I'd say don't worry too much about spending upgrade materials - you can get plenty of them later (literally infinite in fact) so go ahead and spend them on a weapon you like, even if you might replace it later. Same for your build - respecing becomes an option 1/3 through the game, so don't worry too much about sinking your points. And if you're having a hard time with a fight, leave and come back later. The world is huge, there's plenty more to do.

I'm excited to take a crack at the draft format. I wasn't sure how I'd like it, but it felt really fun at the prereleases.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

Sealed and draft are really fun experiences. There is a lot of skill that go into both my only gripe with draft is the compulsion to pull anything worth money over making a good draft deck because well.... money obviously.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
Sealed and draft are really fun experiences. There is a lot of skill that go into both my only gripe with draft is the compulsion to pull anything worth money over making a good draft deck because well.... money obviously.
Hey, if Pascal Maynard was willing to take the foil Tarmogoyf, you shouldn't kick yourself for padding the ol' wallet. Everyone does it every now and then.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
This is a big knock against flat prize structures. It's so liberating passing a fetch because you're at top 8 of a ptq or whatever and you'll happily pay for any advantage you can get. When you're at an FNM where the difference between first and last place is only 2 booster packs, it's a lot harder to pass a money card.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
By far the biggest tip I can give is to not look up anything online. Seriously. If you know the critical path of bosses and where the good items and XP farms are, you can blitz through the game ignoring the vast majority of the content and have a pretty boring time. My first playthrough was %$#%$#% magic because I was just aimlessly running around, wandering into every dungeon I could find, hoping for sweet loot, never sure if every corner would be a dead end or the whole rest of the game. Compared to other fromsoft games it loses a lot in replay value, so make the first run count!

As far as non-spoilery tips, I'd say don't worry too much about spending upgrade materials - you can get plenty of them later (literally infinite in fact) so go ahead and spend them on a weapon you like, even if you might replace it later. Same for your build - respecing becomes an option 1/3 through the game, so don't worry too much about sinking your points. And if you're having a hard time with a fight, leave and come back later. The world is huge, there's plenty more to do.

I'm excited to take a crack at the draft format. I wasn't sure how I'd like it, but it felt really fun at the prereleases.
I want to play Elden Ring so bad, but i don't have a device with adequate specs nor the finances to procure one.

I played bloodborne and dark souls as two of my first video games ever and they have shaped a lot of my interests in video games.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”