[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Had to put the other senior dog to sleep this morning. Time to watch Millennium Actress and dissociate.
Really sorry to hear that Goose. I still remember putting my cat to sleep and that was damn hard. Sometimes they're harder to let go than family, because...well, they ARE family.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Had to put the other senior dog to sleep this morning. Time to watch Millennium Actress and dissociate.

My heart goes out to you. hope the time you spent together was great for both of you and hope their memories live on with you

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

I think this would be my actual perfect-world scenario for this UB situation:

All the other attempted magic-in-all-but-name TCGs admit that Magic has the best ruleset of all time, stop trying to change the formula just enough to avoid copyright infringement, and instead just pay wotc some huge fee in exchange for getting to create their own spinoff games with the same amazing ruleset.

Those other TCGs can be played as their own game, just like these WH40K decks can be played between themselves. Different card backs, different card layouts, etc. But the same ruleset and general numbers as Magic.

There's a sort of meta-format where people can bash decks from different TCGs - your Rick and Morty deck vs my Magic the Gathering deck. Some people maybe even make decks using a combination of IPs exclusively to play in this meta-format.

But Magic stays Magic. and Commander stays within the bounds of Magic. People can play the meta-format locally with commander rules if they want, just like some people play planeswalker commander or tiny leaders (lol) or un-commander or planeschase commander or whatever else.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
I think this would be my actual perfect-world scenario for this UB situation:

All the other attempted magic-in-all-but-name TCGs admit that Magic has the best ruleset of all time, stop trying to change the formula just enough to avoid copyright infringement, and instead just pay wotc some huge fee in exchange for getting to create their own spinoff games with the same amazing ruleset.

Those other TCGs can be played as their own game, just like these WH40K decks can be played between themselves. Different card backs, different card layouts, etc. But the same ruleset and general numbers as Magic.

There's a sort of meta-format where people can bash decks from different TCGs - your Rick and Morty deck vs my Magic the Gathering deck. Some people maybe even make decks using a combination of IPs exclusively to play in this meta-format.

But Magic stays Magic. and Commander stays within the bounds of Magic. People can play the meta-format locally with commander rules if they want, just like some people play planeswalker commander or tiny leaders (lol) or un-commander or planeschase commander or whatever else.
I was thinking that too, I got the 40K decks, but I plan on only using them against each other. I'd like it if we just all agreed to only play UB decks of the same universe versus each other, and not with normal magic cards.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 1 year ago

So, I finally bit the bullet and I went forward with getting LASIK. It had a surprisingly quick turnaround as the initial appointment was Monday and the actual operation was Friday. The post-operation follow up then was Saturday.

I know about 4-5 people that have had it with 2 being my sister and dad so I didn't worry too much about it going "sideways" so to speak, but it was still nerve-wracking to actually go through the process. I was seriously considering calling it off on Thursday because I was so nervous about it. I am glad I didn't.

There is about a 3 month aftercare regimen I need to continue but it isn't all that bad. And my vision is basically exactly the same as it was when I was wearing my glasses. Just without needing to wear my glasses or contacts anymore. And getting up in the morning without needing to put my glasses on is great and not having to worry about taking my contacts out at night is even better.

I will admit that immediately following the operation I was *super* freaked out. To the point where I was shaking and my girlfriend could visibly tell that I was freaked out. But once I got over it, everything was pretty good overall.

I know some people have had it and have it not go as well as they would have liked, but I am pretty happy with it so far.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

@WizardMN, I'm near-sighted, and the only reason I haven't seriously considered LASIK is reports that reading glasses often become necessary. How's it for you?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

FWIW my wife has LASIK about 15 years ago and while I can't speak in specifics about how bad her vision was before she used to have to wear glasses 100% of the time. She doesn't wear them at all right now and is just barely getting to the point where she's considering some readers. She frequently says it's one of the best decisions she's ever made.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 1 year ago

@RxPhantom

I am (was) nearsighted as well. -3.25 and -3.50 in my eyes if you care to know (can't remember which measurement that actually is though but seems to be the "main" one for prescriptions). And so far it is great. Basically perfect vision for me. They even said that 4 hours after your eyes will feel like they have hot sauce or sand in your eyes but you cannot rub your eyes for up to a week after so it can be uncomfortable. But, after about 2.5 hours I was feeling great. I still kept them closed for the full 4 hours though.

As far as any of the other possible complications go, such as dry eye, halos, or blurry/double vision, I have seen none of that either. All in all, it has been a complete success. Obviously everyone is different so it is hard to say it would be great for you, but that has been my experience so far. Though, it has also only been 4 days :)

As far as readers go, from my understanding that may be necessary (my dad and uncle both got LASIK and both need readers now) but it seems like it is more of a natural deterioration of the eyes due to age. My sister hasn't needed readers yet and she had LASIK about 10 years ago. She is also 1.5 years younger than I am. So, if nothing else, it doesn't seem to accelerate the need for readers.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Oh I guess the wife does say that her night vision is worse than it was before with glasses, mostly while driving.

Glad it's being going well for you so far.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

I got PRK about 10 years ago and still goin' perfect pretty much. 20/20ish.

It was more discomfort than lasik but less issues with thin corneas and supposedly slightly fewer long term complications, of which I have experienced none. Might night vision is maybe not as good but it's hard to tell, I see fine at night.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
@WizardMN, I'm near-sighted, and the only reason I haven't seriously considered LASIK is reports that reading glasses often become necessary. How's it for you?
chances are good you'll suffer the same exact age related loss of close up focus as everyone with or without lasik/prk, but you can always get progressive ICLs later (the tech is going to continue improving, and it's pretty great now from what my mom says about hers -- reversed cataracts completely and she sees 20/20, but has to use readers (supposedly they have progressives but her health plan didn't cover them)

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

WizardMN wrote:
1 year ago
So, I finally bit the bullet and I went forward with getting LASIK. It had a surprisingly quick turnaround as the initial appointment was Monday and the actual operation was Friday. The post-operation follow up then was Saturday.

I know about 4-5 people that have had it with 2 being my sister and dad so I didn't worry too much about it going "sideways" so to speak, but it was still nerve-wracking to actually go through the process. I was seriously considering calling it off on Thursday because I was so nervous about it. I am glad I didn't.

There is about a 3 month aftercare regimen I need to continue but it isn't all that bad. And my vision is basically exactly the same as it was when I was wearing my glasses. Just without needing to wear my glasses or contacts anymore. And getting up in the morning without needing to put my glasses on is great and not having to worry about taking my contacts out at night is even better.

I will admit that immediately following the operation I was *super* freaked out. To the point where I was shaking and my girlfriend could visibly tell that I was freaked out. But once I got over it, everything was pretty good overall.

I know some people have had it and have it not go as well as they would have liked, but I am pretty happy with it so far.
My father and brother got it and they are both extremely pleased with the result. They had very quick turnarounds in healing. I think they both had effectively no side effects. My dad uses reading glasses now but he's 65, so that's pretty standard for getting old. Fairly certain it's unrelated to the LASIK

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

I have a bass amp on the way after not playing bass for probably 8 years. Very excited :)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

I honestly think there's a floor to build a creature/ lite non-creature only version of commander based on everyone comments,but then green would be the top deck lol
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hermes_

Got my heat gun,so in a couple of weeks i'l get the foam and other bits

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
@Legend Please PM me a top 20 if you get the time! I love old films, but there's a lot to sift through.
A cinephile friend of mine recommends these silent films.

SILENT FILMS
The Passion of Joan of Arc
City Lights
Intolerance
Birth of a nation
Battleship Potemkin
Safety Last
The General
Sunshine
The Man Who Laughs
The Thief of Bagdad
The Wind
The Lodger

SILENT HORROR
Nosferatu
Metropolis
Der Golem
Faust
The Phantom Carriage
Vampyr
Haxan
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Lost World
A Trip to the Moon
Fall of the House of Usher

LON CHANEY FILMS
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Phantom of the Opera
The Unknown
The Penalty
He Who Gets Slapped
West of Zanzibar
The Miracle Man
The Shock
The Unholy Three
Laugh Clown Laugh
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

I second Nosferatu. Max Schreck is able to capture the otherness and grotesqueness of the vampire in a way no other actor has since. It is one of those performances that just sticks with you even years later.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Played a 5 player (debatably*) casual game Tuesday in which one adult played (a fascinating yet obnoxious) Myrkul, Lord of Bones deck FULL of proxies. And I realized that in theory I'm fine with proxies, but in practice, I'm not. The game just feels hollow when played without real cards. End rant.

* A deck with Necropotence isn't casual.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Played a 5 player (debatably*) casual game Tuesday in which one adult played (a fascinating yet obnoxious) Myrkul, Lord of Bones deck FULL of proxies. And I realized that in theory I'm fine with proxies, but in practice, I'm not. The game just feels hollow when played without real cards. End rant.

* A deck with Necropotence isn't casual.
I'm fine with proxies when they are good proxies, idk, maybe I'm a snob but I still expect my cards and my opponents cards to look nice. It's especially neat when the proxies have (good) custom art.

Edit: also, it's kinda lame when one guy has a proxy deck that's worth 10x what everyone else is playing (or would be if the proxies were real cards).
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Hermes_

On the topic of going to a new place to play MTG: Have a helicopter drop you off out front. Light your cigar with a small Indonesian boy holding a black lotus. Then bust out a craw wurm deck with no sleeves. Raw dog shuffle, loose terribly, flip the table, leave in a hovercraft.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
On the topic of going to a new place to play MTG: Have a helicopter drop you off out front. Light your cigar with a small Indonesian boy holding a black lotus. Then bust out a craw wurm deck with no sleeves. Raw dog shuffle, loose terribly, flip the table, leave in a hovercraft.
The classic Elon Musk maneuver.

Hermes_

First impressions matter folks!

DirkGently

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Edit: also, it's kinda lame when one guy has a proxy deck that's worth 10x what everyone else is playing (or would be if the proxies were real cards).
I like the idea of someone having an all-proxy deck that's worth 10x the table without that "or" caveat required. I'm guessing he either proxied onto gold tablets or everyone else's decks are made from used tissues.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
I like the idea of someone having an all-proxy deck that's worth 10x the table without that "or" caveat required. I'm guessing he either proxied onto gold tablets or everyone else's decks are made from used tissues.
I'll accept the golden proxies, but only on the condition that the card text is engraved. Marker on metal tends to smudge after all, and shuffling a stack of gold leaf sheets is going to be arduous.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
shuffling a stack of gold leaf sheets is going to be arduous.
Gold LEAF? What are we, peasants? I said tablets! If your all-gold deck isn't at least a foot tall you can't play at the high-rollers table.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

Well, I've had a great day drafting. Got two 7 win decks on arena, one of which was a 7-0 UB Spells deck. MVP of the day is Braids, Arisen Nightmare. She is just brutal in a deck that doesn't need more than 3 or 4 lands against all of the domain decks running around. I had one win (Link to 17 Lands Replay) where I literally got my opponent down to one life, one land and one creature due to Braids, and forced 'em to sac their creature or die. One of the most epic games I've played in a long time.

Dimir Spells
Show
Hide
Esper Tokens
Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”