RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
With everything happening in the United States, as well as some personal things, I'm finding it very hard to care about Magic right now. Simultaneously, somehow, I really want to generate more discussion on Nexus generally. I'm not going anywhere, but I think I need a minute.
Dude, for your own benefit, you need to build some work/life/recreation separation. It kinda defeats the purpose of fantasy escapism to carry all that stuff around all day, 24/7. It's not that you shouldn't hold strong convictions or whatever, but there's zip you can do about the shootings. You have a zilch amount of pull on the Supreme Court. No one's gonna give up their gas guzzlers, foreign vacations, or plastic tomorrow either, no matter what you do today.

C'est la vie, focus elsewhere. No reason to be miserable on account of problems too big to be solved by you. Go take a walk with your kid. Go study that cool bug stuck between your window and the screen. Pretend to be an all powerful card flinging wizard with us for a few hours more.
Work is actually fine. They were actually very helpful and flexible when it came to my inability to work a full shift as a result of the vasectomy. They're not perfect, but I know CVS or Walgreens wouldn't care if I died on my feet at work.

It's very hard for me to look at the state of things through the lens of fatherhood and not let it get to me. I need my daughter to live in a world where she has full control over her own body. I need her to be safe and feel safe in school. I need facts to matter, and opinions to be fluid and mutable based on those facts.

The world, this country specifically, feels upside down.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
I believe a lot of the shift in discussion among us pleebs has shifted to more of the social media / discord kind of locations. That's what it seems at least. For a while reddit was ticking up as forums were being used less but I think social outlets are all the rage now which is unfortunate as they can be hard to access the right areas and aren't easy to find generically without someone sending you a link / invite. I will rarely take a look at the RC's official EDH discord but I don't like to participate much there outside of helping some new players get their legs in deckbuilding just because it doesn't seem like a very good platform to track and update your own stuff like forums tend to be.
I agree with this. I'm a dinosaur, I realize, but I cut my teeth on the WotC forums way back in the day and have a strong preference for the nature of forums. The semi-permanence of the discussions is appealing to me, whereas discussion in a Discord will be lost like tears in rain. I suppose it's a trade-off; Discords give you your information faster, but the ephemeral nature of the information presented means you and others in the Discord are prone to repeat themselves.

As for tracking your lists, I guess Moxfield is best for that, even if I prefer Archidekt's UI. I'm in the process of transferring my lists over there for future content creation purposes.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Understatement. I see a facsimile of a facsimile as illustrated by Jackson Pollock.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 year ago

Interestingly, I prefer forums for recreation but slack for work. I find hobby discords to move at a lightning pace and I get overwhelmed easily, leading to most of the channels getting muted in short order. Meanwhile with work, I can iron out any details quickly, and pin relevant information posts for subsequent access. The actual work happens outside of the chat client, and that I can keep appropriately causal/annotated. Meanwhile most of my Magic activity is ultimately maintaining my decks, and forum threads offer a good system for that.

Why would you say Moxfield is superior, out of curiosity? We've already lost a primer author to it, and I'm curious what the allure is. That said, I've pretty much never even touched the site, so I don't know what the system is or why it would be good for content/updates. I went by the once-Nexus primers on Moxfield and it seemed quite a bit shallower there in terms of write-up, though that may well have been dependent on the author rather than the site.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

As long as the majority finds comfort in the status quo, little will change. It's easy to let current events move through you when there's air conditioning and free two-day shipping and food delivered to your door with a few clicks on your phone. Americans (and this is a generalization, of course) seem far more willing to sacrifice intangible ideals for material comforts.

I vacillate between hoping the simulation will be reset, fungi evolving enough to flourish in our bloodstreams (hard reset on the world) and a general strike of the 99% against the entrenched power structure. Those who hold power now have next to no reason to listen to us/change.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 year ago
Interestingly, I prefer forums for recreation but slack for work. I find hobby discords to move at a lightning pace and I get overwhelmed easily, leading to most of the channels getting muted in short order. Meanwhile with work, I can iron out any details quickly, and pin relevant information posts for subsequent access. The actual work happens outside of the chat client, and that I can keep appropriately causal/annotated. Meanwhile most of my Magic activity is ultimately maintaining my decks, and forum threads offer a good system for that.

Why would you say Moxfield is superior, out of curiosity? We've already lost a primer author to it, and I'm curious what the allure is. That said, I've pretty much never even touched the site, so I don't know what the system is or why it would be good for content/updates. I went by the once-Nexus primers on Moxfield and it seemed quite a bit shallower there in terms of write-up, though that may well have been dependent on the author rather than the site.
Virtually all of my local playgroup who posts lists online other than myself uses moxfield, so I can give some insight. It provides most of the deck features Nexus does, and posting decks doesn't immediately have an audience so it can help them brainstorming. The draw 7 tool helps players practice their mulligans, and the inbuilt card information is there, but the deck stats are more buried or absent.

It also, by not being a forum post, is more monolithic, so people use it to more host the list and discuss elsewhere. I suspect that users have some level of control over comments on the posted list, but am uncertain. Maybe, because it is expected that discussion occurs elsewhere then people simply don't use the comment functions.

It also seems to be very prebuilt and limited than forum BBcode, but that does make it more accessible. I do believe that the user that you're referring to intentionally wrote more concisely on Moxfield, but he may have been limited by the site. I had understood that the player base that he was writing for preferred more straightforward and concise content.

I personally prefer forums for discussion because the conversation is actually legible to me instead of weaving together 4 different conversations in each of 6 discord channels. I also can't really deckbuild online only, so Moxfield would just be for recordkeeping and sharing. That the BBcode letting me put vaguely joking titles and puns throughout my decklists greatly entertains me, so all told I am very glad that Nexus exists.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
It's very hard for me to look at the state of things through the lens of fatherhood and not let it get to me. I need my daughter to live in a world where she has full control over her own body. I need her to be safe and feel safe in school. I need facts to matter, and opinions to be fluid and mutable based on those facts.

Maybe that's the je ne sais quoi that I'm failing to grasp. I have no kids. I only have to watch out for me and my future at the moment. So truly I cannot imagine how all the darkening of the world impacts the projected wellbeing of progeny. That sounds heavier than I can bear tbh.

What I can say is that my father spent too much of my childhood raging at politics, his place of employment, and the general stupidity of mankind. Overall, more than I wish he could have built a better world for me, I wish I could remember him being happy more often. Hence the separation: fight for what's right when you must, but don't forget that you have a daughter with 10 fingers and 10 toes, presumably a satisfying career, a family, and a heart that still ticking. Don't forget that you're a lucky guy and you should let yourself live like it too.

Also remember this: human progress is usually two steps forward and one back. We used to burn people alive for dancing 300 years ago. We don't do that no more. It may be tiresome to endure the back&forth push//pull, but generally I believe we are moving in the right direction. Today's problems are only temporary setbacks, and that is cause for hope even now.

EDIT:
kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
a general strike of the 99% against the entrenched power structure. Those who hold power now have next to no reason to listen to us/change.
This, please, any day now. Doesn't need to be violent, but I think it would be eye-opening to many billionaires and politicians to feel truly and deeply outnumbered for a little while. Let 'em sweat like we sweat.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

Crazy Monkey wrote:
1 year ago
Virtually all of my local playgroup who posts lists online other than myself uses moxfield, so I can give some insight. It provides most of the deck features Nexus does, and posting decks doesn't immediately have an audience so it can help them brainstorming. The draw 7 tool helps players practice their mulligans, and the inbuilt card information is there, but the deck stats are more buried or absent.
Nexus does have a testing area where you can only see your own threads which can be useful for brainstorming (here). I have a test thread where I brew and push around ideas there with like 400 posts of me bumping my own thread lol. I guess technically admin and Feyd can see them as well but I doubt they care to look through the crap I store in there lol. I do all of my deckbuilding there and only when I am happy with a concept do I copy and paste it to a new thread. I use it all the time for brewing concepts and a lot of things get aborted before they ever leave there for me.

Its also useful for saving progress so you can walk away from things mid process. I use it as a means to save drafts and just write down thoughts. Sometimes I write down notes for myself that isn't even magic related in there lol.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Oh, I have used the testing forum fairly extensively. When I was rough drafting my Zada primer, I was using it and phantom mention-notification spamming people. They got notifications, but couldn't see the post. I still use it to test updates to my signature and other odds and ends.

At this point, my deckbuilding/brainstorming is physical piles of cards/stand-in cards because I can only really deckbuild when it's in my hands. By the time I am posting it online, I have had it built and played for a couple of games already.

I mostly intended to describe Moxfield as being isolated from comments, but publicly linkable for sharing. It works reasonable well for that application.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Recently, I was respectfully debating Roe on FB with an old school-friend. She got so mad that she publicly (she has a gazillion FB followers) accused me of sexually assaulting her 35 years ago, and went on to describe all of the pain and shame that I'd caused her. I took the talk to FB Messenger because I couldn't recall doing anything like that. I told her that I think she has the wrong person. She messaged back that she KNEW it was me and that she could remember it like it was yesterday, ranting and cussing in all-caps. I stayed engaged but kept my cool. We messaged back and forth for awhile. Eventually, she calmed down and I offered a real apology and asked for forgiveness, which she gladly gave, even though I couldn't for the life of me remember doing what she said I did. I also apologized for not being able to remember having done it. I woke up the next day to find another message from her in which she apologized to me because she realized that I wasn't the culprit after all. She had me confused with a mutual acquaintance. Amazing how deeply emotions can cloud judgement.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

@Legend I get you on the heated front with politics, we probably shouldn't delve too deeply into this topic as its one of the restricted topics that we probably don't want to spin up as it tends to get out of control. I know what you mean though on the hot topic level of politics. I think in general if you can at least understand where both sides stand on a topic and understand why they are where they are it probably will help you be less intense on the how dare they side of politics.

I am a filthy moderate though so I get the fun of always being at least mildly annoyed and never being all that happy with anyone in charge lol.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Here's something to focus on: how many people remember Ed McMahon going to people's houses with the prize patrol for Publisher's Clearing House?
Why must you hurt me like this?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Here's something to focus on: how many people remember Ed McMahon going to people's houses with the prize patrol for Publisher's Clearing House?

Because it's a non-political topic with endless potential for discussion. And because it's created a wobble in my reality since I learned about it two weeks ago.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

I use Scryfall to visualize piles of cards if it includes things I don't have already but I'm very similar to if I post a list here its either something I've been noodling over for several days for a large amount of time or have built and want a place to track my changes and get discussion on it.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

I'm a damn Luddite still using deckbox. But it's just so easy for some reason.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

I just make an excel spreadsheet. Or if I am really lazy, a word document.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Its sad but I have used cardkingdom's advanced search for like 12 years to look up cards while deckbuilding. It has probably gotten them a lot of business out of me lol. I found their advance search tools to be more obvious than gatherer's for looking up cards. Their database is kinda %$#% as they don't correct typos when they add cards so I see a lot of cards with the wrong mana symbols / mana cost as I am searching these days but when I started almost all of their database was correct when I started.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

Scryfall advanced search with a Google sheet to note down picks on, then once I've built the deck it goes up here where nobody will comment but at least its somewhere I already go so it actually stays updated.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 year ago
Crazy Monkey wrote:
1 year ago
I mostly intended to describe Moxfield as being isolated from comments, but publicly linkable for sharing. It works reasonable well for that application.
This, basically. It's less that Moxfield is good or bad but more that it's lingua franca among decklist websites. Like I said, I prefer Archidekt's UI a lot more, but alas.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

I use physical cards to separate into piles because I have a hard time visualising my deck via digital means. Also I can scan through paper a lot faster than any digital representation. I only copy into nexus once the decklist is done.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

Google Docs Spreadsheet to track changes (big plus: accessable from anywhere), Archidekt for visualization purposes and piles by functionality. If i had more discussion pouring in on my threads here, i would put up more of my lists.
I will remain a sucker for tappedout lists though, as the rundown of deck stats is as clean as i could be.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago

Because it's a non-political topic with endless potential for discussion. And because it's created a wobble in my reality since I learned about it two weeks ago.
and you decided to share your suffering?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

For me deck tracking is tough these days. Even one kid is an absolute time vacuum, and during work hours I'm now at the behest of the national health system so casual browsing isn't a thing. So, in terms of it being as easy as possible my personal deck tracker is Moxfield - there's a smartphone app, so it's fairly easy. In terms of surface level content its suitable, easy to use and quick while on the go. There are primers, but they are nowhere even close to the depth attainable here.

That said, when I have the time, and its not as often as it should be for sure, I keep my lists here up to date too. And when I'm here, I get into the whys and wherefores in a lot more depth. I find it beneficial for myself in terms of internalizing my lines and deck choices, and obviously anyone who reads my ramblings gets the benefit of that too. Thats either a pro or a con depending on how much you like the sound of my voice, I guess.

Comparatively, my experiences with discord and specialized deckbuilding sites like Moxfield, tappedout, archidekt etc, the depth of content tends to be fairly ephemeral and surface level. Some of the primers are fine, but none are as meticulous or thorough as anything Darrenhabib does, or Dirks Phelddy list, or virtually any of the others here at nexus.

Honestly, if this site were easier on a smartphone I wouldn't have a Moxfield account at all.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago

We could talk about the Berenstain Bears instead…

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago

Or we could talk about the weather.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago

Or we could talk about the weather.
Only strangers talk about the weather.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”