[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
From my perspective, Goose was the troll.
Who, precisely, was I trolling?
Goose's post reminded me of the distinction between being opposed to abortion and being opposed to a federal law that legalizes abortion. It's possible to support choice and the Constitution at the same time. It just has to be done at the state level. Overturning Roe was merely an act of constitutionality. I don't see a reason to get upset about that. The potential for it to save lives is just a happy coincidence from my point of view. I'm also extremely happy that federal politicians no longer have abortion as leverage.
Except there was no federal law that legalized abortion, which is a major contributing factor to why we're in this mess in the first place. Obama ran on codifying it into law and had two supermajorities. The Republicans may be vile fascists, but Democrats are spineless toadies who would rather fundraise off of this rather than actually do anything about it. This is the %$#% hole country.

And holy crap, you think life begins at conception but think it's okay if some states allow child murder? Yes Dirk, these people are totally logically consistent.

While we're on the subject, why do you support state-forced pregnancy? Why does the fetus's right to potential life outweigh the potential risks to the carrier's life? Do you care aboutthe 40-60% of embryos and fetuses lost during gestation naturally? Should people be criminally liable for not eating completely properly, taking prenatal supplements, and avoiding any and all medications, due to risk factors? What about leftover embryos from IVF clinics?

You don't care about life. You care about controlling other peoples' bodies for political ends.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Okay please! Break it up! Gentlemen, break it up!

Legend, Goose! It's not that this conversation should not be had! But don't duke it out here!

We're being watched.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago

Legend, Goose! It's not that this conversation should not be had! But don't duke it out here!

We're being watched.
Just double-checked the rules and political discussions aren't verboten as long as you criticize the ideas and not the person.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago

We're being watched.
Just double-checked the rules and political discussions aren't verboten as long as you criticize the ideas and not the person.
Alright well be really %$#% careful about addressing an idea in the second person then. I like you both for different reasons. Legend is like Vince McMahon, I love to hate him. You're the most goose-like nongoose entity I've ever encountered. It'd be a pity for either of you to die on this hill when we've got mountains to climb.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Alright well be really %$#% careful about addressing an idea in the second person then. I like you both for different reasons. Legend is like Vince McMahon, I love to hate him. You're the most goose-like nongoose entity I've ever encountered. It'd be a pity for either of you to die on this hill when we've got mountains to climb.
If I get a warning, I get a warning. It's coming from a place of mostly good faith, as in I'm genuinely not trolling or flaming, but I guess that's subjective to an outside observer.

Also, on the Internet, no one knows you're a migratory waterfowl.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 1 year ago

Please be careful of your tone and comments that you make in regards to the Roe v. Wade overturning. Categorizing political parties a certain way is not appropriate. I will be reviewing recent posts with other mods to ensure this discussion is in line with our community guidelines. -benjameenbear

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

In the tone of my protest sign: "Now you've done it; even the Introverts are here." I really prefer to have discussions on sensitive topics in person, because text can lose tone, but I'm motivated enough to try.

The idea I want to add is that, in the strictest sense, it doesn't matter whether you or I consider abortion morally right or wrong. The problem isn't even that the state can write laws based on morality, because I believe we would all agree that murdering another human is wrong. The problem is when a portion of the population which is much less than a supermajority uses the state to impose their own morals on others who believe differently.

As an example, I believe that deregulation of firearms is morally wrong and causes unnecessary death. I believe that a better state-imposed restriction to limit death and suffering is to repeal the second amendment entirely. I also recognize that this is based on my moral belief and that imposing it on my fellow citizens without passing a 75% threshold national referendum would be a form of oppression. All I ask for those celebrating what happened yesterday is to recognize that their belief is their own. Image that I posted Legends meme that instead stated "imaging being outraged that fewer children will be shot", or something in my example.

This is a representative government, it's important for citizens to be able to debate deeply held beliefs without name calling and threats. Now as close to the line as I'll go: Get your personal religious beliefs out of my representative government; please and thanks.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

@tstorm823 I'm not arguing about historical precedent because you're right, I'm not familiar with it, and nor are the vast majority voters, and frankly I don't think any of it really matters anyway. As much as people will cling to the opinions of people from decades and centuries past when it supports their biases, at the end of the day the only thing I, and most everyone else, cares about is the moral question as it's understood today. For the same reason myself and most everyone else on the left isn't swayed by conservatives basing their opinions on a "literal reading of the constitution", don't expect any conservatives to be swayed by historical precedent or legal standing either.

That said, from what I understand, a significant majority of the country supported Roe, so merely having a convincing argument isn't enough anyway. The GOP has been very effective at rallying people around culture war issues (including, but not limited to, Roe), as well as the advantages they have in the electoral college structure, and utilizing that power to maximum effect. Not to mention their luck at having so many supreme court spots empty with convenient timing (with "convenient" in scare quotes for the first and/or last appointment depending on your perspective). At best it will take decades to undo the damage that's been done. At worst, the whole system is broken.

@TheGildedGoose I thought it was clear in my first post that I do think many conservatives aren't ideologically consistent, with opposition to birth control being the most obvious red flag. That's not to say all of them are that way.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
It'd be a pity for either of you to die on this hill when we've got mountains to climb.
Yes would be a shame to lose Goose.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

so yesterday out of boredom i went to sally and wow is it dead around the commander forum it seems that card slinger has finally stopped saying that MTG and by extension WotC is doomed.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I do check in with Sally sometimes just to see how its corpse is rotting.

Also, everyone should vote. Everyone.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

I too check on Sally every now and then. Its usually a waste of time.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 1 year ago

Anybody know a good place to discuss Modern? There is some talk here but not many people are really interested in it on this forum.

Gentle Giant
It's all jank, always has been

Post by Gentle Giant » 1 year ago

EonAon wrote:
1 year ago
Anybody know a good place to discuss Modern? There is some talk here but not many people are really interested in it on this forum.
Speaking of Sally: I remember the modern section being quite active and it seems they are still alive and kicking there. No clue whether it's good quality discussion though, all I did was lurk their infinitely recurring discussion on why splinter twin isn't a problem and should be unbanned (whilst eating copious amounts of popcorn: those discussions were wild :P).
Remember: not everyone is intent on 'growing as a player', analysing their meta and adapting to it, etc. For some people, Magic is just another board game.

Decklists:
A boy and his dog: an adventure (Rograkh & Yoshimaru) | Storytelling, Jank, Cute
Averna, Roulette Croupier: Cascade Chaos | Cascade, Chaos, Group Choices
The Ur-Dragon Tribal Tribal | Randomized Batches, Diverse, Quirky
Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry | Trash for Treasure, Artifact Aristocrats, low-powered

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
so yesterday out of boredom i went to sally and wow is it dead around the commander forum it seems that card slinger has finally stopped saying that MTG and by extension WotC is doomed.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
I do check in with Sally sometimes just to see how its corpse is rotting.

Also, everyone should vote. Everyone.
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
I too check on Sally every now and then. Its usually a waste of time.
I do this too. Isn't it kind of weird when you think about it though? We all know it's basically a forum without a pulse, yet we occasionally pop by anyway just to see the decay. Is it morbid curiosity that drives us? Or is it some inkling of optimism that Sally's best days are not yet totally bygone? Kind of like teenagers who outgrow their childhood treefort, do we hold some hope that a new, unrelated community could grow from the ruins of that which we left behind? Would some deep part of us feel satisfied if we came across that old treefort occupied, thriving, and alive as it once was, if only for a moment?

I wonder.

Edit: apparently my thumbs are too wide to hit the multiquote button without giving out likes as well. Enjoy your kudos, gentlemen. You deserve it.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Well I had my first no show appointment as a therapist today ( Currently its the middle of the hour session as I post this) and man I know I should take it personally but man I understand where clinicians get the feelings of rejection even thought this is likely just "oh crap look at the time guess I can't make it".

On another note: its only the week after I tell my fiancé that I'm done building magic decks for a while that I find two deck concepts that are fairly budget and have given me more life to play in ages. Guess I'm proxying it for a few weeks to see if they keep the wind under the sails for me.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Well I had my first no show appointment as a therapist today ( Currently its the middle of the hour session as I post this) and man I know I should take it personally but man I understand where clinicians get the feelings of rejection even thought this is likely just "oh crap look at the time guess I can't make it".

On another note: its only the week after I tell my fiancé that I'm done building magic decks for a while that I find two deck concepts that are fairly budget and have given me more life to play in ages. Guess I'm proxying it for a few weeks to see if they keep the wind under the sails for me.
Is this part of you practicum, or are you a full-fledged practicing therapist now?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago

Is this part of you practicum, or are you a full-fledged practicing therapist now?
Because if so, can I book an online session? :P
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago

Part of Practicum. I will be a Pre-Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor come end of January if all goes well.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

With everything happening in the United States, as well as some personal things, I'm finding it very hard to care about Magic right now. Simultaneously, somehow, I really want to generate more discussion on Nexus generally. I'm not going anywhere, but I think I need a minute.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
With everything happening in the United States, as well as some personal things, I'm finding it very hard to care about Magic right now. Simultaneously, somehow, I really want to generate more discussion on Nexus generally. I'm not going anywhere, but I think I need a minute.
Dude, for your own benefit, you need to build some work/life/recreation separation. It kinda defeats the purpose of fantasy escapism to carry all that stuff around all day, 24/7. It's not that you shouldn't hold strong convictions or whatever, but there's zip you can do about the shootings. You have a zilch amount of pull on the Supreme Court. No one's gonna give up their gas guzzlers, foreign vacations, or plastic tomorrow either, no matter what you do today.

C'est la vie, focus elsewhere. No reason to be miserable on account of problems too big to be solved by you. Go take a walk with your kid. Go study that cool bug stuck between your window and the screen. Pretend to be an all powerful card flinging wizard with us for a few hours more.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Here's something to focus on: how many people remember Ed McMahon going to people's houses with the prize patrol for Publisher's Clearing House?

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 1 year ago

Gentle Giant wrote:
1 year ago
EonAon wrote:
1 year ago
Speaking of Sally: I remember the modern section being quite active and it seems they are still alive and kicking there. No clue whether it's good quality discussion though, all I did was lurk their infinitely recurring discussion on why splinter twin isn't a problem and should be unbanned (whilst eating copious amounts of popcorn: those discussions were wild :P).
Sadly, salvation is only minorly active in modern. If I post I might get a one or two off reply but its literally days and weeks between topics.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I believe a lot of the shift in discussion among us pleebs has shifted to more of the social media / discord kind of locations. That's what it seems at least. For a while reddit was ticking up as forums were being used less but I think social outlets are all the rage now which is unfortunate as they can be hard to access the right areas and aren't easy to find generically without someone sending you a link / invite. I will rarely take a look at the RC's official EDH discord but I don't like to participate much there outside of helping some new players get their legs in deckbuilding just because it doesn't seem like a very good platform to track and update your own stuff like forums tend to be.

I constantly wished they would slow modern down a little more but they seemed to take the opposite direction and chose to speed it up by direct printing more annoying %$#%$#% over the years. Modern just doesn't allow room for interaction with how fast the decks are as well as the diversity of means that they attack you that it constantly feels like midrange and control don't exist. Its almost entirely aggro and combo decks seeing if they can goldfish you.
Last edited by ISBPathfinder 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”