[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
I think the Fancy Specials section is pretty great. I wonder if anyone knows what the 3 items on the right are or if that's lost to time.
Sadly looks like they are lost to time :pensive:
materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
I enjoy reading you guys talk about random food menu thingy. I am extremely pleased with my life. That is all.
Thanks to folks asking questions, I've had to do googling and find out there are whole Reddits dedicated to vintage menus and old recipes. It's much better than politics or whatever and more fun lol.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
I enjoy reading you guys talk about random food menu thingy. I am extremely pleased with my life. That is all.
@Hermes_ always knows how to break the tension. The man's been doing it for years, majestically floating above the petty violence of clashing opinions in a stratosphere of pure whimsy and delivering unto us whatever diversions he deigns worthy of notice.

I too am pleased with the food menu thingy. Just imagining that meal pleases me. Seeing what others would order is also enlightening, in a Ronald-Reagan-Jellybean kinda way.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Steak tenderloin, 95 cents, American fried potatoes 20 cents, Asparagus with drawn butter, 40 cents, white rock water, 25 cents, and finish it off with a banana split, 25 cents (sorry Mark).

Total: two dollars and five cents. Breaking the bank.

So many things look good, but I suppose steak and potatoes is what I would have at dinner time.

During lunchtime I'd problably go for a salami sandwich and a lemonade or something

Breakfast would have to be Ham, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, the works with some hot chocolate to sub in for coffee since I don't drink it but it makes me jelly when others do.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 1 year ago

I just want the cream chipped beef, which is probably the least changed product on the menu.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I've been on vacation at Disney World for the past week. It's been pretty great. There's just a certain element of magic that is uniquely Disney. I'm not a Disney adult or anything, but I'll never forget the the joy and awe that it inspired in my daughter. To say she had a blast is the understatement of the year.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Shabbaman
crying casual

Post by Shabbaman » 1 year ago

I've visited Disneyland Paris a few times, it's a lot of fun, especially for the kids. We visit Efteling every year on a day that's a holiday for the city we live in. On that day it's quiet. I like the quiet, I don't like the crowds.

Something else, I just came across this beholder toy: https://www.bazaarofmagic.eu/en-WW/p/fi ... er/9082418

@cryogen weren't you looking for something like this some time ago?
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@RxPhantom I'm glad your trip to Disney was better than my father's. He did not fare well in the Magic Kingdom, not exactly his Happiest Place on Earth.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I tell my wife all the time that I'm not opposed to Disney I'm opposed to waiting in lines. She'll break me down eventually and we'll take the kids.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
that I'm not opposed to Disney I'm opposed to waiting in lines
I don't wanna be a poopy pants so I won't, but there're lots of reasons to be opposed to Disney as an organization.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

I saw Avatar - pretty much exactly what I expected. Weak plot and characters, but good eye candy. Low expectations and a strong snack game was crucial to the experience. The Navi look way weirder to me now than in the original though. Like living deviantart cartoon characters.

Biggest thing that occurred to me, though, is that holy crap Pandora forests are literally identical to Zendikar forests with the floating rocks and chonky vines. But they came out at almost the exact same time, so I guess neither could have cribbed notes from the other? Was it just a weird coincidence? Or were they both inspired by some other similar thing?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
I saw Avatar - pretty much exactly what I expected. Weak plot and characters, but good eye candy. Low expectations and a strong snack game was crucial to the experience. The Navi look way weirder to me now than in the original though. Like living deviantart cartoon characters.

Biggest thing that occurred to me, though, is that holy crap Pandora forests are literally identical to Zendikar forests with the floating rocks and chonky vines. But they came out at almost the exact same time, so I guess neither could have cribbed notes from the other? Was it just a weird coincidence? Or were they both inspired by some other similar thing?
I think floating mountains is kinda just a thing in fantasy every now and then. It struck me as kinda cliche the first time I saw it in avatar 1.

Spoilers for the movie.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
So the kids totally try to get one of the main characters eaten by a fish. Like straight murdered. That was kinda wild. Anyway, turns out I've got a pretty strong fear of getting attacked by a large underwater predator. That scene reaaaaaally hit my primal fear triggers. I really really enjoyed that scene a lot.

Also, Nateri or however you spell her name going ham on those soldiers after her son died hit me in the feels real bad. That was stupidly well done.

I wish they'd just deleted one of the sons and one of the daughters from the movie. Nothing would have changed plot wise and the run time would have been 30min shorter.

DirkGently

@materpillar
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I see people (notably YMS) saying that the hunting thing was attempted murder but I read it as them just ditching him, and trying to scare him by leaving him in a dangerous/far away place? Was there some dialogue that implied they knew that dangerous fish would be in the area? I assumed that was just bad luck and they hadn't intended for it to be that dangerous.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
@materpillar
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I see people (notably YMS) saying that the hunting thing was attempted murder but I read it as them just ditching him, and trying to scare him by leaving him in a dangerous/far away place? Was there some dialogue that implied they knew that dangerous fish would be in the area? I assumed that was just bad luck and they hadn't intended for it to be that dangerous.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I don't think they explicitly said they were trying to kill him, but they left him out in an area they knew murder sharks lived. Their dad said they knew better, which implies they knew how dangerous it was. They also got him to shoot a fish, which I read as something that would attract a predator.

The movie probably didn't intend to be read as the other kids were murderous assholes but I can't really see that any other way. Their choices very nearly got him eaten, I don't care if their reasons were "dumb kids be dumb", he survived via purely via deus ex machina / plot shield. If he had gotten eaten it would have basically been fully their fault and their reasons / intentions irrelevant.

DirkGently

@materpillar
SPOILER
Show
Hide
At worst wouldn't it be manslaughter if they didn't intend for him to die?

I don't buy that just knowing it was "dangerous" means they expected a murder shark. There are plenty of other reasons it might be dangerous for an outsider to go far away from the village and in deep water that don't involve murder sharks. I read him saying that it's dangerous as meaning there are multiple dangers - risk of getting lost, strong currents, other smaller predators, etc, all of which would be scary but unlikely to be lethal (their goal), with the murder shark being a very unlikely worst-case-scenario that the kids, being dumb kids, didn't expect. Since we don't see any other murder sharks afaik we have no way of knowing if it was a common occurrence or a freak event. If a snorkling company takes you snorkling and there's a freak shark attack that kills you, it wouldn't be murder on their part, even if they knew there was an infinitesimal risk of that happening. Past a certain point it's just bad luck.

I think they just had him shoot the fish as a way to keep his distracted while they ditched him, preventing him from following and increasing the chances of him being disoriented and making it more difficult for him to find his way back. Also a way to lure him into thinking that things were normal and that they were doing what they'd originally said they were doing.

Sure he survived via plot shield, but he also got into trouble by plot...magnet? I mean it's not exactly cinema verite. Everything interesting always happens to the main characters.

Sidebar, the VO narration is probably my single least favorite part of the movie. Reeks of something added in post because room-temp-IQ demo audiences were too thick to follow the simplistic plot.
Incidentally I'm booking some dives on the great barrier reef in a few months... :skull:
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

Some dives at the reef? Have you done much diving before? That sounds amazing. I hit up the Blue Hole in Belize a couple times it it was fantastic.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

My wife went to Disneyland a bunch as a kid, and i think she kind of wants to take me one day, but crowds give me anxiety and a day full of noise + sun is bound to give me a head ache. I don't want to act like I'm too "adult" for Disneyland (I actually love animation, so I end up watching a lot of what Disney puts out). But I've been to Cedar Point a number of times, and hated it, I'm not sure Disneyland would be any different.

On the other hand, my wife really loves it, so I might just have to grin and bear it. Besides, maybe I WILL end up enjoying it. *shrug*
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
My wife went to Disneyland a bunch as a kid, and i think she kind of wants to take me one day, but crowds give me anxiety and a day full of noise + sun is bound to give me a head ache. I don't want to act like I'm too "adult" for Disneyland (I actually love animation, so I end up watching a lot of what Disney puts out). But I've been to Cedar Point a number of times, and hated it, I'm not sure Disneyland would be any different.

On the other hand, my wife really loves it, so I might just have to grin and bear it. Besides, maybe I WILL end up enjoying it. *shrug*
Had to google cedar point lol
Been to Disney World a fair amount, especially as a kid.
I do not like roller coasters, but there is a lot of other stuff going on. So if your dislike for amusement parks is that you don't like roller coasters, I would say that you can still spend a few days at disney world and not do a single roller coaster.
I guess your enjoyment level may depend more on what others in your group feel like doing.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Some dives at the reef? Have you done much diving before? That sounds amazing. I hit up the Blue Hole in Belize a couple times it it was fantastic.
We've got an overnight boat with a handful of dives over two days. I have my open water PADI license but haven't dived in ~7 years, so I'm doing a refresher course and going with a guide. Lily hasn't dived at all before, so she's doing a beginner diving package.

Just got some new fins in the mail - my feet are always too big for rental fins, so it will be awesome to have some that fit comfortably for once!

RE: disney, the rides are relatively low-key compared to parks that focus on rides. My recollection is that there's a few moderate-intensity coasters with everything else being below that. Not really comparable to a thrill park, it's more focused on the décor.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago

I do not like roller coasters, but there is a lot of other stuff going on. So if your dislike for amusement parks is that you don't like roller coasters, I would say that you can still spend a few days at disney world and not do a single roller coaster.
I guess your enjoyment level may depend more on what others in your group feel like doing.
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
We've got an overnight boat with a handful of dives over two days. I have my open water PADI license but haven't dived in ~7 years, so I'm doing a refresher course and going with a guide. Lily hasn't dived at all before, so she's doing a beginner diving package.

Just got some new fins in the mail - my feet are always too big for rental fins, so it will be awesome to have some that fit comfortably for once!

RE: disney, the rides are relatively low-key compared to parks that focus on rides. My recollection is that there's a few moderate-intensity coasters with everything else being below that. Not really comparable to a thrill park, it's more focused on the décor.
Aye, maybe i didn't explain very well. I compared it to Cedar Point because I live ~1 hour away so I've been several times, my concern is more with the noise and crowds and anxiety, though your words are still encouraging…
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Dunharrow

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
materpillar wrote:
1 year ago

Aye, maybe i didn't explain very well. I compared it to Cedar Point because I live ~1 hour away so I've been several times, my concern is more with the noise and crowds and anxiety, though your words are still encouraging…
Not to be discouraging, but Disney is notorious for insane lines. If you go out of season you stand a better chance. But conversations with people who have gone in the last couple of years suggested that you might do a ride every 3 hours unless you buy fast passes.
Perhaps, given your aversion to crowds you should get the fast passes.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
materpillar wrote:
1 year ago

Screw theme parks, says I! It's all about the State/National parks, baby! Check out some thousand year old trees, kayak down a river, sleep under the stars. No lines, no wait! Parking is very reasonable too! And there ain't no ride in the the world that beats the Grand Canyon, and I say that as an off/on rollercoaster enthusiast.

If you gotta do a theme park though, definitely go off-season and IMHO pick a smaller, more local park. They've got a better fun:time ratio given the shorter lines and lower attendance, but the overall experience is just as good.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Growing up in Michigan I loved Cedar Point as a kid. I'm sure it wouldn't live up to my memory but I would certainly go back given the chance. It's a really good park.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

I went to the orlando Disney parks a while ago, like 10+ Years. It was january and super cold and I heard often the lines were shorter than usual, but I think I only had long lines in a couple of attractions, the biggest one was on a somewhat new roller coaster that you chose a song and listened to it on it. I highly disliked both waiting and the ride itself because I'm super affradi of coasters that leave me hanging, I much preffer the ones where yo ride a little card. But I was on a group and would wait so I figured I might as well try it. Did not make that mistake many times over. Even not being able to block warriors I had a very good time @ Disney. The shows were fun the memorabilia(?) is quite cute and it's very nice to be at a place where people are enjoying themselves. I remember feeling that people there (the workers) really cared if I was having a good time. I dont know if that is true, of if I would feel that way today, but I did when I was 17.

I was overweight for most of my life, since the pandemic I've lost arround 70kg (I think arround 150lbs) and I have a whole new appretiation for the other kind of parks, and nature overall. I love them now, I used to think I didnt much care for being near nature, turns out I was just really overweight. I've been getting into hiking and exploring lately, it's really relaxing and rewarding

Dunharrow

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
I was overweight for most of my life, since the pandemic I've lost arround 70kg (I think arround 150lbs) and I have a whole new appretiation for the other kind of parks, and nature overall. I love them now, I used to think I didnt much care for being near nature, turns out I was just really overweight. I've been getting into hiking and exploring lately, it's really relaxing and rewarding
Congratulations! You should be proud of this achievement. It does seem like you appreciate the new things you can do now.

Most of my vacations pre-kid were very outdoorsy. Scotland was fun. Hike a trail. Drive a bit. Visit the ruins of a castle. Drive a bit. Hike the faerie pools. Drive a bit. Visit a castle.
I hope one day to go back to Big Sur. Beautiful place. Most of the trails were closed due to landslides when I was there though.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

I've been to Worlds of Fun in Kansas and Sliver Dollar City both of them when I was very young thus can't really remember much of anything. Oh look a pointless post lol
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”